Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

James Milner (Manchester City) - SIGNED by LFC

Read 21837 times
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Re: James Milner
      Reply #23: Jan 09, 2015 02:31:50 pm
      Versatility Makes James Milner Ideal Transfer to Cover Steven Gerrard's Exit
      By Jonathan Wilson. Jan 8, 2015

About James Milner, there is one thing just about everybody seems to agree upon: He is not rated correctly.

The balance now seems to lie in favour of him being underrated, but there are still those baffled that he can be a regular both for England and, admittedly in a utility role, for the Premier League champions.

The issue is brought into focus by the fact his contract expires in the summer: Manchester City need to decide just how highly they rate the midfielder who turned 29 this week.

Milner rejected the deal City made last month and has been told there will be no improvement on that offer, something which suggests City still see him as little more than a useful reserve, able to step into a range of positions when required.

He has started 10 of City’s 20 league games this season, against 12 starts in the whole of last season—and made a further eight appearances from the bench—operating at the back of midfield, on the flank and even at centre-forward.

The question really comes down to whether he can be seen as a first choice in any one position and the answer to that is probably no.

Yet in a sense that is part of Milner’s charm. It may be that privately he is frustrated he hasn’t tied down one position, but it’s impossible to tell from his performances.

He plays with equal gusto wherever he is asked, versatile and apparently uncomplaining. That makes him a huge asset for any club as the man who can be relied upon to fill any hole, but it’s easy to see why he would tire of that: It must be galling for a player of his quality to know if everybody else is fit, he will only be on the bench.

In that regard, it’s entirely understandable Milner—as he approaches his final contract at his peak—should be considering his future.

He’s won two Premier Leagues, an FA Cup and a League Cup with City, but never as the heartbeat of the side: What neutral could blame him if he wanted to try to be the leader of a team?

Arsenal reportedly made enquiries about Milner last summer, and he could certainly add discipline and bite to the back of their midfield, but Thursday brought a story from Oliver Kay in The Times (subscription required) which placed the England international top of Liverpool’s shopping list as they seek a replacement for Steven Gerrard.

It’s a move which makes sense on a number of levels.

For one thing, Brendan Rodgers has always tried to retain an English core to his side—and Milner has played well alongside Jordan Henderson for the national team.

For another, Milner seems to bring many of the attributes of Gerrard without some of the facets which have meant at times he hasn’t seemed the right fit for the role he has been asked to play over the past two seasons.

That’s not to say that peak Milner is as good as the player Gerrard was at his best, but he may be of more use to Liverpool right now.

Milner doesn’t get the goals Gerrard does, isn’t as adept at set plays, doesn’t have the capacity for long, sweeping passes, but it is rather easier to imagine him sitting diligently in front of the back four, protecting space, tracking runners, playing simple short passes, allowing Henderson to do the box-to-box shuttling alongside him—not because he’s incapable of it but because he accepts the discipline of a defensive-midfield role.

Gerrard was always a 1980s midfielder trying to adapt to the tactical systems of two decades later, occasionally trying to do too much himself—often at Liverpool because he had to.

That did produce some memorable successes—in the Champions League final of 2005 and the FA Cup final of 2006, for instance, but it became problematic when he was asked to play the deeper role.

Is Milner an upgrade on Gerrard? No, but he may be more what Liverpool need right now.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2323069-versatility-makes-james-milner-ideal-transfer-to-cover-steven-gerrards-exit
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #24: Jan 09, 2015 02:55:40 pm
      James Milner is basically a more versatile but much shi**er Steven Gerrard.

Shouldn't we be looking for a replacement closer in quality to Stevie?
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #25: Jan 09, 2015 02:56:59 pm

Which Gerrard would you replace, the present or past ?
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #26: Jan 09, 2015 03:00:31 pm
      Which Gerrard would you replace, the present or past ?

Well present Milner isn't as good as either. We should be looking for a longer term replacement not a player who will be past his prime if we sign him.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,348 posts | 1622 
      Reply #27: Jan 09, 2015 03:54:28 pm
      No fckin thank you  why is it we relish signing other tesms cast offs  I mean ffs we need goals man and he is hardly setting it alight in a team full of stars god help how sh*t he'd be in our team ffs.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #28: Jan 09, 2015 04:40:29 pm
      No fckin thank you  why is it we relish signing other tesms cast offs  I mean ffs we need goals man and he is hardly setting it alight in a team full of stars god help how sh*t he'd be in our team ffs.

He wouldn't be sh*t at all, he's been a regular in England for years and he's started half of City's games this year in the most expensive squad in the country. That's not a sign of a sh*t player.

I hope he isn't our "marquee" signing, but he would add a lot to our team. Would happily sign him on a free transfer next summer.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,693 posts | 892 
      Reply #29: Jan 09, 2015 05:42:05 pm
      cant really see why we should not sign Milner, he is a good squad player and able to play in different postions. Like everybody else here, i would like us to sign exciting player like pjanic or somebody else who would walk into our first team but that has nothing to do with milner. Its not like milner is chasing them away.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #30: Jan 09, 2015 05:55:41 pm

I don't think he's any more versatile than Stevie.

andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,348 posts | 1622 
      Reply #31: Jan 09, 2015 08:33:04 pm
      He wouldn't be sh*t at all, he's been a regular in England for years and he's started half of City's games this year in the most expensive squad in the country. That's not a sign of a sh*t player.

I hope he isn't our "marquee" signing, but he would add a lot to our team. Would happily sign him on a free transfer next summer.
      Well thats just your opinion that he wont be sh*t ,and saying he is an england regular dosen,t mean he will be any good for us, see Downing for that, he might be playing in a top team at the moment ,top teams dont let players go unless they force it or as is they are not that good. 
      Mad4LFC
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 989 posts | 81 
      Reply #32: Jan 09, 2015 09:23:42 pm
      Well thats just your opinion that he wont be sh*t ,and saying he is an england regular dosen,t mean he will be any good for us, see Downing for that, he might be playing in a top team at the moment ,top teams dont let players go unless they force it or as is they are not that good.

downing was never an England regular, his contract has been run down but he is a mainstay in a side that has been assembled with silly money.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #33: Jan 09, 2015 09:36:34 pm

This is a case of force. Pelligrini has offered him multiple contracts which he hasn't signed.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #34: Jan 09, 2015 10:08:36 pm
      This is a case of force. Pelligrini has offered him multiple contracts which he hasn't signed.

He's 29 and wants a final big contract, he's on less wages than Gael Clichy. Can't blame him really when he's at the richest club in the world.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #35: Jan 09, 2015 10:10:33 pm
      Every single transfer target should be looked at in the vein of "Will this player improve our starting 11". We have enough squad players at this point. Does Milner walk into our starting 11? If so then we have bigger problems I think.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #36: Jan 09, 2015 10:13:13 pm
      He's 29 and wants a final big contract, he's on less wages than Gael Clichy. Can't blame him really when he's at the richest club in the world.

Is he at Liverpool,Bayern,Milan,Barca,Scum, I see richest club as how may Trophies you have in the cabinet.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,348 posts | 1622 
      Reply #37: Jan 09, 2015 10:13:24 pm
      Wasnt aware that he had been offered contracts , not fussed on the player wont be disappointed if  he dont come here just personnel opinion thats all .

andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,348 posts | 1622 
      Reply #38: Jan 09, 2015 10:18:57 pm
      Is he at Liverpool,Bayern,Milan,Barca,Scum, I see richest club as how may Trophies you have in the cabinet.

At the moment Shabs we are rich on history but f c k all else mate  , as of the end of this season  we wont even have a star man to sell it to the kids our future fans ..
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #39: Jan 09, 2015 10:30:52 pm
      At the moment Shabs we are rich on history but f c k all else mate  , as of the end of this season  we wont even have a star man to sell it to the kids our future fans ..

Got Mighty Red for that one bro, institutionalised the wrong way.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,348 posts | 1622 
      Reply #40: Jan 09, 2015 10:32:53 pm
      Got Mighty Red for that one bro, institutionalised the wrong way.

Haha forgot about that dude ..

David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,291 posts | 763 
      Reply #41: Jan 10, 2015 12:24:45 am
      I think Rafa tried to sign him, if I can remember correctly, thought his best days where behind him, but maybe I am wrong.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #42: Jan 10, 2015 07:20:38 am
      I think Rafa tried to sign him, if I can remember correctly, thought his best days where behind him, but maybe I am wrong.

Yep, Rafa offered 3 academy youngsters (not sure who were the 3) to Newcastle which they claimed was derogatory!
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,972 posts | 3057 
      Reply #43: Jan 10, 2015 04:12:11 pm

I don't think he's any more versatile than Stevie.

Only if being more versatile means he can play poorer than Stevie in more positions. On that basis I agree - I can't think of any position on the park where he'd be better than Stevie  ;)
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,533 posts | 722 
      Reply #44: Jan 10, 2015 05:12:28 pm
      dear god no!
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Re: James Milner (Manchester City)
      Reply #45: Jan 11, 2015 01:17:57 pm
      It's free. So this will probably go through.

Quick Reply