Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 16th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

Brendans ideal midfield

Read 4683 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Brendans ideal midfield
      Jan 13, 2015 12:58:29 pm
      Since Brendan arrived at the Club, there's been plenty of discussions on these boards about his philosophy, methods and playing style.  We've seen Stevie shifted back from his attacking role to that of playmaker and until recently, Lucas not even feature despite having a shaky defense with no protection in front to help out.  There's also been various discussions about the need for a defensive coach and also a better quality DM than Lucas, prior to his recent up turn in form.

With Stevie leaving in the summer and it looking more likely that Lucas will follow, we've been linked with players such as Delph and Milner as possible signings who we all know are nothing like the players we're losing in terms of quality and also where they play.

Bearing in mind that Brendan has never played with an out and out DM, that none of our youth teams play with one and in none of the transfer windows since he arrived have we made any effort to sign one, will we now get to see how he really wants us to play?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: Brendans ideal midfield
      Reply #1: Jan 13, 2015 01:04:58 pm
      I thought Joe Allen was his defensive minded midfielder?

BR talks a lot about his defensive qualities anyway.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #2: Jan 13, 2015 01:09:08 pm
      The ideal Rodgers midfield is:

Allen Allen Allen

or
      Allen
      Allen Allen

or

Allen Allen
      Allen

or in a pinch

Britton Britton
      Britton
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #3: Jan 13, 2015 01:20:59 pm
      MY ideal (realistic) midfield would be...

Song

Henderson - Cabaye
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,139 posts | 4893 
      Reply #4: Jan 13, 2015 01:24:00 pm
      I thought Joe Allen was his defensive minded midfielder?

BR talks a lot about his defensive qualities anyway.

I think in an ideal world he was supposed to be Swab.

I don't think the other two in our midfield three have fitted into how Brendan would like them to if Joe was at the base.

He accommodated Gerrard there and I'm nor sure he's totally convinced by Lucas so those two gone in the summer and we might just see exactly how the boss wants us to play in midfield.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #5: Jan 13, 2015 01:25:40 pm
      The ideal Rodgers midfield is:

Allen Allen Allen

or
      Allen
      Allen Allen

or

Allen Allen
      Allen

or in a pinch

Britton Britton
      Britton

F**k sake, beat me to it!
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #6: Jan 13, 2015 01:29:02 pm

one of these does not belong with the other two; identify which one.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,139 posts | 4893 
      Reply #7: Jan 13, 2015 01:31:01 pm
      one of these does not belong with the other two; identify which one.

Let me guess.

One of our own that you're taking another chance to slag off?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #8: Jan 13, 2015 01:33:58 pm
      I think in an ideal world he was supposed to be Swab.

I don't think the other two in our midfield three have fitted into how Brendan would like them to if Joe was at the base.

He accommodated Gerrard there and I'm nor sure he's totally convinced by Lucas so those two gone in the summer and we might just see exactly how the boss wants us to play in midfield.

It's odd because BR has turned to a Brazilian system of 1st (Lucas) and 2nd (Coutinho) Volantes to improve our results, and it has to be said it's worked to an extent (lacking a clinical finisher).
      2 Brazilians, playing a system they were brought up with, which clearly works.

Maybe there is some favouritism there, because for me, Lucas has played far better than Allen in both defense and supporting the attack.
      Allen likes to get in and around the box in wider positions, Lucas sits deeper and recycles the ball keeping attacks going.
      OK, Lucas isn't as "dynamic" as Allen, but on the evidence so far he provides a much more solid base to build from.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #9: Jan 13, 2015 01:37:28 pm
      Well, let's look how we replace quality starting players:

Reina - Mignolet
      Agger - Lovren
      Suarez - Balotelli / Lambert

So we can probably expect:

Gerrard - Delph
      Lucas - Can

Even still people will defend FSG though, depressing how the true quality has been let go from this side without anything brought in to replace it.

Brendan's ideal midfield would be:

Khedira
                              Pogba     Coutinho

Too much too ask... of course it is with the ambition of our owners.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,139 posts | 4893 
      Reply #10: Jan 13, 2015 01:37:38 pm
      It's odd because BR has turned to a Brazilian system of 1st (Lucas) and 2nd (Coutinho) Volantes to improve our results, and it has to be said it's worked to an extent (lacking a clinical finisher).
      2 Brazilians, playing a system they were brought up with, which clearly works.

Maybe there is some favouritism there, because for me, Lucas has played far better than Allen in both defense and supporting the attack.
      Allen likes to get in and around the box in wider positions, Lucas sits deeper and recycles the ball keeping attacks going.
      OK, Lucas isn't as "dynamic" as Allen, but on the evidence so far he provides a much more solid base to build from.

Agree with pretty much all of this.

Shows how good a player Lucas is though, despite many of his own fans thinking otherwise, when he keeps forcing his way into the side and we look better when he is there.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #11: Jan 13, 2015 01:44:01 pm
      Allen isn't good enough to start for us on a permanent basis. He isn't a bad squad player to be fair but as we paid 15m for him he has turned into a poor signing. I'd bite any clubs hand off who are prepared to pay half of what we did.

Henderson is another squad player and doesn't have enough flair to be a permanent starter for us in a Brendan team. He could prove crucial in certain fixtures though with his energy.

Milner isn't an upgrade on Jordan and Delph is a downgrade. I'd love to see Cabaye here, he would be a great signing for us. Somebody who can put his foot on the ball and pass.

But Brendan has to build our midfield around Coutinho. He is easily our best player. I'd give him a free role behind the forwards where he is likely to cause the most damage.

Sturridge

Markovic               Coutinho             Sterling

Cabaye
                                           Lucas

Looks a bit weak and might get bullied against your evertons and your west hams but there is plenty of flair in that side alright.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #12: Jan 13, 2015 01:48:25 pm
      I know I mentioned players by name and those have been picked up in some of the posts but I wasn't really wanting to discuss the names, more the system and how it's going to change.

I don't think Allen necessarily was/is Brendans ideal DM, he certainly wasn't at Swansea as he prefers to play a double pivot, rather than an out and out DM.  He also doesn't particularly like players who aren't versatile or who only have one role within the squad, like Lucas.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #13: Jan 13, 2015 01:49:36 pm
      Right now, given we appear to be skint, Lucas and Hendo is our best 3-4-2-1 pair.
      If we flog Lucas then it's Hendo and Can, although we might need a RCB then.

That's a very young midfield pairing.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #14: Jan 13, 2015 01:59:21 pm
      Let me guess.  One of our own that you're taking another chance to slag off?

I'll help you out and take the secrecy away: it's Henderson.

Let it be known far and wide: Jordan Henderson is not good enough for our club.

for that matter neither is Allen.

Cabaye/Pogba/Khedira etc.  now that's who we should be going after.
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #15: Jan 13, 2015 02:01:43 pm
      Assuming we'll probably go back to 3 in midfield again at somepoint, but regardless we need 3 class mids.
      Henderson definitely one
      Can will be one
      Lucas and Allen are average, Lucas likely to be sold this year at somepoint.
      And with Gerrard going we need to bring a class midfielder...

Rumours that Liverpool scouts were at Sporting Lisbon's last game and that we're interested in William Carvalho, personally I think he would be a class signing at defensive mid and between him and Can we would be 100% sorted there.
      Then in midfield we could see the likes of Coutinho playing a tad deeper like he has done a few times this season, but personally I'd love to sign Koke from Atletico, I know it would be VERY unlikely but what a midfield that would be.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #16: Jan 13, 2015 02:10:47 pm
      Assuming we'll probably go back to 3 in midfield again at somepoint, but regardless we need 3 class mids.
      Henderson definitely one
      Can will be one
      Lucas and Allen are average, Lucas likely to be sold this year at somepoint.
      And with Gerrard going we need to bring a class midfielder...

Rumours that Liverpool scouts were at Sporting Lisbon's last game and that we're interested in William Carvalho, personally I think he would be a class signing at defensive mid and between him and Can we would be 100% sorted there.
      Then in midfield we could see the likes of Coutinho playing a tad deeper like he has done a few times this season, but personally I'd love to sign Koke from Atletico, I know it would be VERY unlikely but what a midfield that would be.

Carvalho would be a great signing and a LFC fan allegedly, but they always are when wanting a move to a bigger club!

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,139 posts | 4893 
      Reply #17: Jan 13, 2015 02:26:31 pm
      I'll help you out and take the secrecy away: it's Henderson.

Let it be known far and wide: Jordan Henderson is not good enough for our club.

for that matter neither is Allen.

Cabaye/Pogba/Khedira etc.  now that's who we should be going after.

Don't worry Fed. I got it mate.

I think you're wrong on Hendo.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #18: Jan 13, 2015 02:32:14 pm
      Don't worry Fed. I got it mate. 

sometimes it helps to spell it out.  not for people like us, you and I are both blessed with amazing intellects.

it's for the ISIS members who support us, I know they read the forum and need things broken down into simple phrases for them, they're not too quick on the uptake like.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #19: Jan 13, 2015 02:37:13 pm
      Agree with pretty much all of this.

Shows how good a player Lucas is though, despite many of his own fans thinking otherwise, when he keeps forcing his way into the side and we look better when he is there.

I think Lucas is an intelligent player, with excellent positioning and reading of the game.
      On the downside, he isn't quick and isn't versatile in that he doesn't play different positions.
      Hodgson wanted to sell him until he saw him in training, then realised just how good a player he is at what he does.
      He seemingly wasn't in BR's plans, but forced his way in.
      It would be a shame if he was sold, because Can is not ready for that position yet and Delph would be a joke.
      So, unless BR finds a replacement who gives the same stability and defensive qualities, plus adds something extra I think getting rid would be a mistake.
      BR wants us to play fluid, dynamic, attacking football and that's great, but as I've said before there's a reason why the best managers have always built from the back.
      Can, Henderson and A.N. Other playing a staggered midfield 3 is his preferred system I think.
      The staggered midfield 3 gives each player control of a zone across the width of the pitch, and can be very fluid, but it is also vulnerable. I'm assuming here that BR still works to his theory of each player owning his zone, with the pitch split laterally into 9 zones.

End result, we'll still have defensive problems unless BR gets the balance right, and perhaps modifies his zonal system, regardless of who comes in.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #20: Jan 13, 2015 02:48:53 pm
      I think Lucas is an intelligent player, with excellent positioning and reading of the game.
      On the downside, he isn't quick

I've been a huge critic of Lucas but watching his performances this season, it looks like he has somehow regained that step or two he lost after his surgery.

He had been looking so slow the last couple of seasons.  And of course he was never a speed demon anyway.  But it looks to me like he is a bit quicker this season. 

anyone else notice that?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #21: Jan 13, 2015 02:52:00 pm
      I've been a huge critic of Lucas but watching his performances this season, it looks like he has somehow regained that step or two he lost after his surgery.

He had been looking so slow the last couple of seasons.  And of course he was never a speed demon anyway.  But it looks to me like he is a bit quicker this season. 

anyone else notice that?

I remember the match v City when he was monstering them, he is probably still not at that level but not far off.

I can imagine it takes a while physically and psychologically to get back to your peak.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #22: Jan 13, 2015 02:52:12 pm

anyone else notice that?

I think he's stepping up earlier is all, and of course has finally got his match fitness back.
      With some players, they need to be on the pitch a lot to get that sharpness, and I think that's all it is. Game time improves him in terms of sharpness and fitness/speed.

Quick Reply