Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      9 (7.9%)
      Emre Can
      3 (2.6%)
      Martin Skrtel
      11 (9.6%)
      Mamadou Sakho
      28 (24.6%)
      Lucas Leiva
      11 (9.6%)
      Jordan Henderson
      35 (30.7%)
      Lazar Markovic
      5 (4.4%)
      Alberto Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Phillip Coutinho
      2 (1.8%)
      Raheem Sterling
      1 (0.9%)
      Fabio Borini
      6 (5.3%)
      Jose Enrique
      0 (0%)
      Rickie Lambert
      3 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 110

Voting closed: Jan 21, 2015 04:54:24 pm

Aston Villa 0-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Debates

Read 36652 times
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Re: Aston Villa 0-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Debates
      Reply #552: Jan 18, 2015 12:30:40 pm
      Great performance in the first half, we were all over them. We need to start finishing off games when we have a chance. Leaving it at 1 goal, is just asking for trouble & pressure. Cant wait until Sturridge is back, we will be a completely different team.
      Some pinball in our box in the second half which was a bit verve wracking, and I thought Brendan was slow to make the changes. Sakho has really stepped it up, he won me over yesterday. No dodgy moves on the ball, kept it simple and was really strong and aggressive which challenges.

Best thing about yesterday - 2 clean sheets in a row!! God thats been a while. Need to keep that up in the cup runs.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #553: Jan 18, 2015 12:41:44 pm
      Great performance in the first half, we were all over them. We need to start finishing off games when we have a chance. Leaving it at 1 goal, is just asking for trouble & pressure. Cant wait until Sturridge is back, we will be a completely different team.

Daniel tweeted after the Villa game ''three points again!! Team getting stronger each game. Soon I'll be amongst it all''.

dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,008 posts | 3352 
      Reply #554: Jan 18, 2015 12:47:25 pm
      Not his fault players in front of him can't control a ball.

Yes it is when he tw*ts it at them from five yards. The force with which he passes the ball is his fault. As is the force any player passes the ball with, it's their
      fault.

If you prefer he hoofs the ball, I don't think Brendan advocates such tactics hence why he always bangs on about players being brave.

Yes I would prefer he hoofs it forward at certain times. There's a time and a place for pissing about with it at the back, there's a time and a place to just F***ing leather it up the pitch. Constantly we, as fans, talk about playing ourselves in trouble because we constantly try to pass it out when that option isn't on. There's also a fine line between bravery and stupidity and our defence flirts with it far too often, which is one of the reasons we have such a sh*t defence since Brendan arrived.

I'm not advocating we turn into Wimbledon of the 90s. But at the same time, I'd rather see us have more common sense when it comes to decision making at the back. If we're under pressure then I'd rather see the ball get launched up the pitch than force ourselves even further back because we have to retain the ball (only to invariably lose it)
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #555: Jan 18, 2015 01:07:09 pm
      If his stats really are in the 90's every game (and I'm sure it is, people don't just make this sh!t up) it's even more impressive than it first looks.
      Mama's passing stats are certainly very high Mick - currently at 89% completion; according to squawka anyhow: [http://www.squawka.com/football-player-rankings#pass-accuracy#player-stats#english-barclays-premier-league|season-2014/2015#liverpool#defender#16#37#0#0#90#16/08/2014#18/01/2015#season#1#all-matches#total#desc#total ] * copy and paste this link.

Only 3% behind Martin's 92% in fact, (with average distance of pass identical, at 19m) and although Skrtel has played more than twice the amount of games that Mama has, it's an impressive figure none the less.

Although these things can change quickly, such is the fickle nature of football; I'm hopeful that, in Sakho, Skrtel has found the partner he deserves.  :nod:
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,182 posts | 4404 
      Reply #556: Jan 18, 2015 01:31:36 pm
      Yes it is when he tw*ts it at them from five yards. The force with which he passes the ball is his fault. As is the force any player passes the ball with, it's their
      fault.

Yes I would prefer he hoofs it forward at certain times. There's a time and a place for pissing about with it at the back, there's a time and a place to just f**king leather it up the pitch. Constantly we, as fans, talk about playing ourselves in trouble because we constantly try to pass it out when that option isn't on. There's also a fine line between bravery and stupidity and our defence flirts with it far too often, which is one of the reasons we have such a sh*t defence since Brendan arrived.

I'm not advocating we turn into Wimbledon of the 90s. But at the same time, I'd rather see us have more common sense when it comes to decision making at the back. If we're under pressure then I'd rather see the ball get launched up the pitch than force ourselves even further back because we have to retain the ball (only to invariably lose it)

I have put a youtube link up in his player thread from the game yesterday, show me one time when he has "twatted" the ball to any player?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #557: Jan 18, 2015 01:49:13 pm

An even better view, clock his face amongst this mad lot. Lucas get's my man of the match just for getting involved in this!!

Proper away day celebrations!

Two wins on the bounce, two clean sheets - let's make this confidence count against Chelsea on Tuesday night.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,008 posts | 3352 
      Reply #558: Jan 18, 2015 02:51:49 pm
      I have put a youtube link up in his player thread from the game yesterday, show me one time when he has "twatted" the ball to any player?

My mistake.

It's not on youtube so it didn't happen.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,182 posts | 4404 
      Reply #559: Jan 18, 2015 03:01:28 pm
      My mistake.

Look you don't rate him that's fine, we all have different opinions of players.

Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #560: Jan 18, 2015 06:30:51 pm
      My mistake.

Mate, the video is of every touch and pass he had in the game (even the boring ones), so yeah if it isn't on the video it probably didn't happen. Its not a highlights video.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #561: Jan 18, 2015 07:54:01 pm
      They had more attempts but clear chances no.

Ha clearly we were watching different games then because apart from our goals he only other decent chance i can recall is when Sterling tried to chip the keeper instead of just putting the ball in the net.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,182 posts | 4404 
      Reply #562: Jan 18, 2015 08:45:43 pm
      Ha clearly we were watching different games then because apart from our goals he only other decent chance i can recall is when Sterling tried to chip the keeper instead of just putting the ball in the net.

I was in the stadium so may have missed how good the Villa chances were.
      From where I was sitting I saw a couple of half chances, the one where Benteke got a good save out of Migs and the one where one of their CB's failed to connect to the ball and ended up kicking air.

Borini was put in at least twice where if he had any skill or football intelligence would have scored and another on the edge of the box that he skied was also a good chance.

Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #563: Jan 19, 2015 03:14:16 am
      Been away for some time and seen no football whatsoever so excuse the silly questions:

Those celebrations are for the second goal to seal the win? Anyone got more pictures? Looks class ;D

And someone please tell me where exactly Can's been playing? I've seen he's started to start a few games but BBC seems to have him in defence? Is he one of the three cb's?

Is Markovic still playing at wing back?
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #564: Jan 19, 2015 06:52:54 am
      I was in the stadium so may have missed how good the Villa chances were.
      From where I was sitting I saw a couple of half chances, the one where Benteke got a good save out of Migs and the one where one of their CB's failed to connect to the ball and ended up kicking air.

Borini was put in at least twice where if he had any skill or football intelligence would have scored and another on the edge of the box that he skied was also a good chance.

Did you see Skertel's header flicked onto the post by their keeper from a corner in the second half?

Borini should have got a touch on that IMO.

Speaking of Borini, apart from his well taken goal, I thought he was awful.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #565: Jan 19, 2015 12:15:03 pm
      Couldn't get anywhere near any info on the game until motd which was a pretty poor showing. Haven't read any posts yet, about to do so, but pleased my 0-2 prediction came good. On the strength of motd, (match condensed into about 6 mins,) I voted for Hendo for motm and pleased to see it was a popular vote.
      Got something right this weekend gone, back to sick bay with the dreaded manflue now. Bye all.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,008 posts | 3352 
      Reply #566: Jan 19, 2015 02:33:08 pm
      Mate, the video is of every touch and pass he had in the game (even the boring ones), so yeah if it isn't on the video it probably didn't happen. Its not a highlights video.

It did happen. But it's not on youtube so it didn't.

All is fine.

End of discussion as it's going nowhere.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,653 posts | 481 
      Reply #567: Jan 19, 2015 02:41:07 pm
      It did happen. But it's not on youtube so it didn't.

All is fine.

End of discussion as it's going nowhere.
      I saw that pass that you are referring to.Not sure if it was Henderson or Lucas that received it but he certainly applied more than enough power on that particular pass which our player wasn't able to control and it started their attack.Apart from that i don't recall any of the pass he made as if they were 'twatted'.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #568: Jan 19, 2015 03:02:14 pm
      I saw that pass that you are referring to.Not sure if it was Henderson or Lucas that received it but he certainly applied more than enough power on that particular pass which our player wasn't able to control and it started their attack.Apart from that i don't recall any of the pass he made as if they were 'twatted'.

Are we talking about Sakho's pass that was "blasted" to Hendo/Lucas? If so, I remember that, but from what I remember, I don't think it was suppose to go to Hendo/Lucas (can't remember which one), but he intercepted it. Will need to re watch the game at some point as I've only seen it once on stream!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #569: Jan 19, 2015 03:39:04 pm
      With just one decent striker we would have won that match even easier than we did. Their cances were all half chances and I thought we had fairly good control over thematch, its just a shame that every other competitor also won, but at least we didn't loose any ground and we are one week nearer to getting a striker into the team.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #570: Jan 19, 2015 03:42:36 pm
      Are we talking about Sakho's pass that was "blasted" to Hendo/Lucas? If so, I remember that, but from what I remember, I don't think it was suppose to go to Hendo/Lucas (can't remember which one), but he intercepted it. Will need to re watch the game at some point as I've only seen it once on stream!

It was to the player behind Lucas (who intercepted it).

And someone please tell me where exactly Can's been playing? I've seen he's started to start a few games but BBC seems to have him in defence? Is he one of the three cb's?

Is Markovic still playing at wing back?

Can has been playing on the right side of the back three.

Yeah he's still at wing back and he looked quite impressive defensively this game aswell from what I saw (had some stream issues so missed a few minutes here and there).
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #571: Jan 19, 2015 03:42:43 pm
      Slightly off topic but that piss colored away kit is starting to grow on me.

If it were solid yellow without the lines it would be top class.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,406 posts | 3404 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #572: Jan 19, 2015 05:05:25 pm

does your piss look like that ? What do you do, eat bananas all day ?
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #573: Jan 19, 2015 05:18:54 pm
      does your piss look like that ? What do you do, eat bananas all day ?

I can confirm this;

He prefers strawberries though
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,312 posts | 6377 
      Reply #574: Jan 19, 2015 05:20:37 pm

I don't mind that it has red trim, it just needs to be different than those wavy lines, but I agree....that is probably the best looking of the three in my opinion.

Quick Reply