Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Pre Match: League Cup S/F 1st leg Liverpool v Chelsea 20/1/15 7.45

Read 10674 times
      MsGerrard
      Pre Match: League Cup S/F 1st leg Liverpool v Chelsea 20/1/15 7.45
      Jan 18, 2015 09:22:50 pm

So after our superb win at Villa Park on Saturday, our attentions turn to the League Cup and a semi final against our old adversaries Chelsea, those that have no history  ;)

We've had some tremendous battles against them over the years, the outstanding one, of course, being the 2005 semi at Anfield in the Champions League and we all know what happened that night !!

This is going to be a very tough game, but we need a cushion of a lead to take back to Stamford Bridge the following week if we are to have any hope of progressing to the final, I believe over two legs we can beat anyone, but we must be tight in defence on Tuesday and hit them with a couple of early goals.

Hoping to see Sturridge at some stage of the evening, will need some minutes on the pitch to get his fitness levels up, I hope people don't expect to much of him though, and I'm also expecting to see Gerrard fit again after missing the game on saturday.

Be boss to see our esteemed Captain lift this trophy again before he departs for pastures new  :)

I will be right at the front of the KOP on tuesday night for this game and I can't wait  :kop5cf8koxp6: :scarf: :kop5cf8koxp6: :scarf:
      bring it on Redmen !!!
      « Last Edit: Jan 20, 2015 06:30:50 pm by JD »
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Re: Carling Cup S/F 1st leg Liverpool v Chelsea 20/1/15 7.45 KO pre-match thread
      Reply #1: Jan 18, 2015 09:34:36 pm
      No way Sturridge will be seen on the pitch.

End of January/ Early Feb is his predicted return date.
      MsGerrard
      Re: Carling Cup S/F 1st leg Liverpool v Chelsea 20/1/15 7.45 KO pre-match thread
      Reply #2: Jan 18, 2015 09:35:42 pm

Really?
      Thought he was almost ready   :(
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #3: Jan 18, 2015 09:38:02 pm

So after our superb win at Villa Park on Saturday, our attentions turn to the Carling Cup and a semi final against our old adversaries Chelsea, those that have no history  ;)

We've had some tremendous battles against them over the years, the outstanding one, of course, being the 2005 semi at Anfield in the Champions League and we all know what happened that night !!

This is going to be a very tough game, but we need a cushion of a lead to take back to Stamford Bridge the following week if we are to have any hope of progressing to the final, I believe over two legs we can beat anyone, but we must be tight in defence on Tuesday and hit them with a couple of early goals.

Hoping to see Sturridge at some stage of the evening, will need some minutes on the pitch to get his fitness levels up, I hope people don't expect to much of him though, and I'm also expecting to see Gerrard fit again after missing the game on saturday.

Be boss to see our esteemed Captain lift this trophy again before he departs for pastures new  :)

I will be right at the front of the KOP on tuesday night for this game and I can't wait  :kop5cf8koxp6: :scarf: :kop5cf8koxp6: :scarf:
      bring it on Redmen !!!

I see what you did there.  :f_whistle: :gt-happyup:
      MsGerrard
      Re: League Cup S/F 1st leg Liverpool v Chelsea 20/1/15 7.45 KO pre-match thread
      Reply #4: Jan 18, 2015 09:52:22 pm

;) ;D

Nothing escapes you RedPup  8)
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #5: Jan 18, 2015 10:17:01 pm
      We did it against City a few years ago, so let's do these plastics the same way. I'm confident.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #6: Jan 18, 2015 10:17:47 pm
      Taking my lad to this

Can't wait.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #7: Jan 18, 2015 10:28:47 pm

I'd rather hold him back for the league games myself.
      siavashiva
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 807 posts | 112 
      Reply #8: Jan 19, 2015 01:23:46 am
      does way goal rule apply here?
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #9: Jan 19, 2015 01:40:24 am

N'ah, this is the home leg.

Ba-dum-tish.

Wish I could use my ticket for this but it found a good home.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #10: Jan 19, 2015 01:50:10 am
      Chelsea has a table topping clash against City just 4 days after the 2nd leg of this tie.  Jose will undoubtedly prioritize the PL over the League Cup, so they will most likely rest players in the 2nd leg.  With that in mind, we need to be pragmatic in the 1st leg.  Don't concede in the first leg, and go for the win in the 2nd leg.  Let's hope BR gets the tactics right in this one... I really want to see us in another cup final!!
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #11: Jan 19, 2015 06:55:16 am
      Every time I see their name in a thread title, I compelled to say/think... I 'detest' these cu*ts.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #12: Jan 19, 2015 07:54:15 am
      Every time I see their name in a thread title, I compelled to say/think... I 'detest' these cu*ts.

Should be said ever time they are mentioned.

nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #13: Jan 19, 2015 10:24:30 am
      Honestly think Jose will put out a piss weak side for this to prove a point on

A.  How strong his squad is
      B.  That it isn't a priority for him

3-0 for me.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #14: Jan 19, 2015 10:49:40 am
      Honestly think Jose will put out a piss weak side for this to prove a point on

A.  How strong his squad is
      B.  That it isn't a priority for him

3-0 for me.

Don't think so mate they had a very easy win against Swansea at the weekend they barely broke a sweat so I think he will field a pretty strong side he'll probably start Zouma, Shurrle and Remy but the rest of the team should be the same.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #15: Jan 19, 2015 12:34:13 pm
      whoever maureen starts, he has a pretty good squad to select from. I just hope brendan gets his tactics right this time. We are capable of beating anyone on our day, but won't win this going all out open football. Need to be a bit defensive with good counter options, of course if maureen parks the bus again, will we be able to break through ?
      We need a good set up, with a plan 'b'.
      Think they may park the bus, rely on long ball counters and go for the win at theirs.
      We will defffo need to take a lead there imho. Need to study how spuds opened them up countless times and implement some of that.
      3 - 0 for me, clean sheet being the main plus.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #16: Jan 19, 2015 01:24:55 pm
      Some interesting comments I saw on Twitter from Jose about wanting the fans to stop the Steven Gerrard chants. Pains me to say this but it was almost class by Maureen.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #17: Jan 19, 2015 01:36:15 pm
      Some interesting comments I saw on Twitter from Jose about wanting the fans to stop the Steven Gerrard chants. Pains me to say this but it was almost class by Maureen.

Knowing Jose, he's playing mindgames mate.  The last thing he wants is a motivated Stevie on the pitch, especially playing in an attacking role and after what happened in the April game, Stevie will be out to make a point.

Nothing he does or says has class attached to it  ;)
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #18: Jan 19, 2015 01:40:30 pm
      Knowing Jose, he's playing mindgames mate.  The last thing he wants is a motivated Stevie on the pitch, especially playing in an attacking role and after what happened in the April game, Stevie will be out to make a point.

Nothing he does or says has class attached to it  ;)

It's a downfall of mine, I tend to try and find the best in people ;D It's not like their plastic fans will abide anyway though.

Mourinho: “Our fans have a song (about Gerrard) that I don’t like, I don’t like it at all."

Mourinho: "A couple of times it’s good fun but to go and go and go, especially when a player like him deserves respect, we don’t need that."

Mourinho: "We did everything to sign him but SG will be a red forever & I respect that a lot. He never told me ‘I will go’, never ever"
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #19: Jan 19, 2015 01:44:58 pm
      Normally I would probably miss part of this game as it is during the week but tomorrow is a holiday in Brazil so I should be home to watch it in full. Excited! (and a bit scared too)
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #20: Jan 19, 2015 01:46:26 pm
      Knowing Jose, he's playing mindgames mate.

Indeed! Ever since I've read a book about Mourinho's approach and mindset, I tend to watch all his actions on an utilitarian basis. I have a hard time believing he actually has principles! ;D
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #21: Jan 19, 2015 02:37:25 pm
      If it were a leaked private conversation it would be a bit of class, but in public and in interviews, everything Jose says, he says it because he wants it to be heard and to take effect. Never wastes a word that one.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #22: Jan 19, 2015 03:02:00 pm
      Very worried about this.... love to nick a draw and go all out at their place...

I reckon if we are to go through we'll win the tie on penalties next week... i just can’t see us beating them

Quick Reply