Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Liverpool Legends a thing of the past?

Read 2342 times
      wickwar-red
      • On Trial
      • Started Topic

• 2 posts |
      Liverpool Legends a thing of the past?
      Jan 22, 2015 09:47:11 pm
      We all watch big Liverpool games with a passion, same as we always did 'back in the day'. But how different is today's game and players' connections and bonding with the people (us) who pay their wages?

I've had the privilege of enjoying a few Liverpool Legends games in recent years involving the likes of Barney Kennedy, Super-sub Fairclough, Penalty King Neal, Jimmy Ace, and dozens and dozens of others, Molby, Aldridge, Grobbs and my own Bristolian mucker Nicky Tanner of course!!

My point is, how many of today's mob do you think will form Liverpool Legends teams of the future? I can't think of anyone likely to do the job the old guard do and it says a lot about how football and attitudes (to money) have changed beyond all recognition.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Re: Liverpool Legends a thing of the past?
      Reply #1: Jan 23, 2015 03:07:23 am
      hard to tell at this moment in time. but I wouldn't be surprised to see the likes of Markovic and Flanagan in the XI in ten years time. hopefully Raheem becomes a wonderful Liverpool man too.
      BostonScouse
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 715 posts | 106 
      Reply #2: Jan 23, 2015 04:13:39 am
      Weird topic. But I'll have a go.

I think once Stevie's out, BR will rule the roost. He doesn't seem to like the big characters.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #3: Jan 23, 2015 09:40:19 am
      We all watch big Liverpool games with a passion, same as we always did 'back in the day'. But how different is today's game and players' connections and bonding with the people (us) who pay their wages?

I've had the privilege of enjoying a few Liverpool Legends games in recent years involving the likes of Barney Kennedy, Super-sub Fairclough, Penalty King Neal, Jimmy Ace, and dozens and dozens of others, Molby, Aldridge, Grobbs and my own Bristolian mucker Nicky Tanner of course!!

My point is, how many of today's mob do you think will form Liverpool Legends teams of the future? I can't think of anyone likely to do the job the old guard do and it says a lot about how football and attitudes (to money) have changed beyond all recognition.

This is yet another thing that sickens me about being a "corporate brand" and not afootball club.

As soon as anyone even gets NEAR to being a "legend", he's sold off.
      It really cheapens our status. Which means less sponsorship revenue, and a complete vicious circle of decline vs genuine football clubs.

Torres and Suarez, Masch, Alonso, Reina, Agger were all legends, Agger at a lower level. Maxi and Kuyt and Arbeloa were v good players. Carra and Stevie were legends. ALL gone.

If Sturr isn't a permacrock, he's our last top quality established player. Sterling may become that, but I reckon he'll be asset stripped as soon as the Yanksters can get away with it. Likewise if ever Markovic, Caan, the fullbacks etc ever reach quality player level.

Rodgers is a B list manager extra-ordinaire in the way he kowtows to all this agenda.

Ultimately, I watch LFC TV and see these adverts. Usually goals being scored. Then I think "how the F**k is that an advert for Liverpool, he was sold off in the Summer". Many fans I speak to completely lose all affinity with it. The great LFC teams had players at the club til they were 30 and beyond.
      Nowadays we sign too many journeymen, too many "might bes" and too many "never will bes".

As far as I'm concerned, the new leeches can shove their "brand" up their arses.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #4: Jan 23, 2015 10:16:36 am
      Henderson
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #5: Jan 23, 2015 10:32:01 am

1. Reads American Plant's post that he has copied and pasted into another thread for the hundredth time.

2. Asks perfectly straightforward question about said post such as "how can BR be a second rate manager IF we have sold off every quality player and still be top of the form league / have missed out on winning the thing in May?"

3. Endures "shouldn't you be playing rounders in Boston" or a "....NOT!" reply rather than addressing question

4. Rinse and repeat.

Polluting every thread now. It's meant to be a forum not a place to post your polemics.

Back on topic, there will be far fewer "legends" as you rightly say because the gap between the footballers and ordinary fans has become so large and the players don't stick around as long.

There are players who form a special connection with the club - Alonso, Suarez, Garcia, Lucas but they are increasingly few and far between.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #6: Jan 23, 2015 10:52:47 am

Not for me. He works hard but doesn't have that world class status to become a legend.

What I mean is, if you look at Skrtel who has made over 200 league appearances for us now, that would usually earn you some sort of recognition or legendary status within the club.

But when Martin hangs his boots up, no disrespect to the chap, but will we be discussing what a brilliant player he was for us and all the memories he gave us? I certainly won't.  Skrtel isn't a LFC legend in my opinion.

Henderson falls into the same category.

Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #7: Jan 23, 2015 11:08:02 am
      Not for me. He works hard but doesn't have that world class status to become a legend.

What I mean is, if you look at Skrtel who has made over 200 league appearances for us now, that would usually earn you some sort of recognition or legendary status within the club.

But when Martin hangs his boots up, no disrespect to the chap, but will we be discussing what a brilliant player he was for us and all the memories he gave us? I certainly won't.  Skrtel isn't a LFC legend in my opinion.

Henderson falls into the same category.

Are we talking here about being world class or about having a special connection with the club?

I'd say Garcia could be in any of our Legends sides but he was never world class.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,000 posts | 3951 
      Reply #8: Jan 23, 2015 11:08:15 am
      The time factor in the legend phenomenon is crucial.
      The legend description invariably entails a timescale in attaining that status, if a player in the Luis Suarez mould does kick on the very same turn of events will unfold - the player will seek a club that gives him the best opportunity to acquit his skills to the full with the associated success.
      Those ingredients do not exist at Anfield which bodes not well for prospective legends.
      An established legend is planning to leave the club in a not entirely lucid scenario, budding superstars will be watching.   
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,003 posts | 3351 
      Reply #9: Jan 23, 2015 11:55:07 am
      Anybody can throw their name in the hat for "legends". In the opening post is says Nicky F***ing Tanner is representing the club as a "legend". I mean Nicky F***ing Tanner for fucks sake.

This is a pic of Liverpool "legends" against Singapore from two months ago.

Of that picture, only Fowler and McManaman are legends. Even McManaman is pushing it a bit.

Paddy Barger, Kvarme, Dudek, Heskey, Henchoz, Jan F***ing Kromkamp, Vladdy Smicer, Michael Thomas, Davey Thompson, Phil Babb and Steve F***ing Harkness aren't.

Berger and Henchoz were good in their day. Legends? Nah. You don't put Berger in the same breath as Stevie Heighway or Digger Barnes. And Henchoz, even with his handball antics in the 2001 Cup final, isn't in the same category as Raisbeck, Yeats, Hughes, Smith, Thompson, Hansen, Lawrenson, Carragher, Hyypia.

Dudek goes down as a legend because of his heroics in the 2005 European Cup final. Truth be told, he wasn't that good that night. He'll always be remembered fondly because of it, but his Liverpool career on the whole weren't that great. And again, he's nowhere near the quality of Elisha Scott, Tommy Lawrence, Clemo, Brucie or Pepe. Same goes goes for Smicer, Heskey, Thomas. Decent players but nowhere near legends. Davey Thompson had ability but injuries cut short his Liverpool career and didn't do anywhere near enough in a Liverpool shirt to be called a legend.

Kromkamp, Kvarme, Babb and Harkness would make up one of the worst Liverpool defences of all time.

So because the term "legend" is attached to these kind of matches, it doesn't means the players are actual legends therefore anybody from the current side could take part in them and then be considered "legend"
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #10: Jan 23, 2015 12:43:03 pm
      Anybody can throw their name in the hat for "legends". In the opening post is says Nicky f**king Tanner is representing the club as a "legend". I mean Nicky f**king Tanner for fucks sake.

Of that picture, only Fowler and McManaman are legends. Even McManaman is pushing it a bit.

Jan f**king Kromkamp and Steve f**king Harkness aren't.

Kromkamp, Kvarme, Babb and Harkness would make up one of the worst Liverpool defences of all time.

:lmao:
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #11: Jan 23, 2015 12:47:27 pm
      Anybody can throw their name in the hat for "legends". In the opening post is says Nicky F***ing Tanner is representing the club as a "legend". I mean Nicky F***ing Tanner for fucks sake.

Paddy Barger, Kvarme, Dudek, Heskey, Henchoz, Jan F***ing Kromkamp, Vladdy Smicer, Michael Thomas, Davey Thompson, Phil Babb and Steve F***ing Harkness aren't.

Berger and Henchoz were good in their day. Legends? Nah. You don't put Berger in the same breath as Stevie Heighway or Digger Barnes. And Henchoz, even with his handball antics in the 2001 Cup final, isn't in the same category as Raisbeck, Yeats, Hughes, Smith, Thompson, Hansen, Lawrenson, Carragher, Hyypia.

Dudek goes down as a legend because of his heroics in the 2005 European Cup final. Truth be told, he wasn't that good that night. He'll always be remembered fondly because of it, but his Liverpool career on the whole weren't that great. And again, he's nowhere near the quality of Elisha Scott, Tommy Lawrence, Clemo, Brucie or Pepe. Same goes goes for Smicer, Heskey, Thomas. Decent players but nowhere near legends. Davey Thompson had ability but injuries cut short his Liverpool career and didn't do anywhere near enough in a Liverpool shirt to be called a legend.

So because the term "legend" is attached to these kind of matches, it doesn't means the players are actual legends therefore anybody from the current side could take part in them and then be considered "legend"

Post of the year so far, for me.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #12: Jan 23, 2015 12:59:20 pm
      Are we talking here about being world class or about having a special connection with the club?

I'd say Garcia could be in any of our Legends sides but he was never world class.

For me, a Liverpool legend is one that is a 1. world class player 2. performs consistently well for Liverpool. 3. Given the Kop memories to cherish 4. been a great servant to the club. 5. never sh*t on the club.

If you have all five then you are obviously in the Liverpool Legends category. Like Fowler, Gerrard, Rush, Kenny etc.

If you have four of the above then you will probably make it. Three Probably. Two maybe. One No.

For me, Owen and Torres don't make the cut even though they were both brilliant for us. Owen ran his contract down before joining Madrid and eventually played for Man United. He is a little c**t.  Torres joined Chelsea who we have become fierce rivals with in recent years & wouldn't shut up talking about us in the media so again, he is a little c**t. I went to Chelsea away  a couple of years ago (Johnson scored last minute winner), and Torres was warming up infront of us. We were giving him a bad time singing song after song about him and he was 'staring out' fans seated in the front row, snarling, looking in disgust at us etc. He is a gobs***e.

Anyway back to Skrtel who I mentioned. He isn't world class and he hasn't given the Kop any memories to cherish. He hasn't performed consistently well for us either. Has he been a great servant? Yes. Will he ever sh*t on the club? Probably not.  So do those two things make him a legend? No.

Your example naming Garcia. Is he world class? No, a fine player though.  Has he given the kop memories to cherish? Yes. Perform consistently well for Liverpool? Not for me, great on his day but his day came once every three or four weeks. Has he been a great servant? Yes you could say so. Has he ever sh*t on the club? No, he regularly still follows us, attends games and shows his support on social media. So for me Garcia isn't a legend, but he is more of a legend than Skrtel or Henderson as things stand right now.

Henderson. Is he world class? No. Memories? No. Consistently well? No. Great servant? Probably one day. Sh*t on the club? No.

If, and it's a big if, Henderson captains Liverpool next season and we win some silverware, he might become a legend because he will tick more of the boxes above.

Sturridge, Sterling & Coutinho all have the potential to be Liverpool greats. I struggle to see past them with our current squad though.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #13: Jan 23, 2015 01:00:02 pm
      Post of the year so far, for me.

I cant stop laughing at the aggression shown towards kromkamp and harkness  :lmao:

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,104 posts | 2762 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #14: Jan 23, 2015 01:15:31 pm
      Legends is only a name. Jesus the likes of Ruddock has played for the legends, wouldnt lose any sleep over it 
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #15: Jan 23, 2015 01:24:00 pm

In short, Fenway don't do legends.

They want minimum outlay, because they think the ground will be full regardless.
      And their Moneyball is all about develop a player and sell him for profit.
      Its not a football club they're running. Even less one with pride, or one to win silverware.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #16: Jan 23, 2015 01:28:29 pm
      For me, a Liverpool legend is one that is a 1. world class player 2. performs consistently well for Liverpool. 3. Given the Kop memories to cherish 4. been a great servant to the club. 5. never sh*t on the club.

If you have all five then you are obviously in the Liverpool Legends category. Like Fowler, Gerrard, Rush, Kenny etc.

If you have four of the above then you will probably make it. Three Probably. Two maybe. One No.

For me, Owen and Torres don't make the cut even though they were both brilliant for us. Owen ran his contract down before joining Madrid and eventually played for Man United. He is a little c**t.  Torres joined Chelsea who we have become fierce rivals with in recent years & wouldn't shut up talking about us in the media so again, he is a little c**t. I went to Chelsea away  a couple of years ago (Johnson scored last minute winner), and Torres was warming up infront of us. We were giving him a bad time singing song after song about him and he was 'staring out' fans seated in the front row, snarling, looking in disgust at us etc. He is a gobs***e.

Anyway back to Skrtel who I mentioned. He isn't world class and he hasn't given the Kop any memories to cherish. He hasn't performed consistently well for us either. Has he been a great servant? Yes. Will he ever sh*t on the club? Probably not.  So do those two things make him a legend? No.

Your example naming Garcia. Is he world class? No, a fine player though.  Has he given the kop memories to cherish? Yes. Perform consistently well for Liverpool? Not for me, great on his day but his day came once every three or four weeks. Has he been a great servant? Yes you could say so. Has he ever sh*t on the club? No, he regularly still follows us, attends games and shows his support on social media. So for me Garcia isn't a legend, but he is more of a legend than Skrtel or Henderson as things stand right now.

Henderson. Is he world class? No. Memories? No. Consistently well? No. Great servant? Probably one day. Sh*t on the club? No.

If, and it's a big if, Henderson captains Liverpool next season and we win some silverware, he might become a legend because he will tick more of the boxes above.

Sturridge, Sterling & Coutinho all have the potential to be Liverpool greats. I struggle to see past them with our current squad though.

I agree with you mate but I think the OP was talking about players who would play in our "Liverpool Legends" sides rather than whether they were actually real "legends".

Quick Reply