Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Sergi Canos (Liverpool -> Norwich City)

Read 17959 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Sergi Canos (Liverpool -> Norwich City)
      Jan 26, 2015 02:05:18 pm
      Can't believe there wasn't a player thread for young Sergi after all the excitement of getting him from the La Masia as a 16 year old.  After initial problems with his work permit, he played 17 games with the u18's last season, scoring 3 goals but this season he's really pushed on with his goal tally for this season now standing at 17.

He turns 18 next week and is working hard to get a regular starting spot with the u21's and has featured with the 1st team at Melwood on a number of occasions this season. 

Sergi Canos arrived at Liverpool from Barcelona in the summer of 2013.

He spent his formative footballing years at the Spanish giants' world-renowned La Masia Academy, where he developed a keen eye for goal and an extensive passing repertoire.

An attacking player, who can play either on the right flank or through the middle as a No.9, Sergi can instigate and finish forward forays with equal potency.

The youngster is a current Spain U17 international and features regularly for the U18 side. He made his U21s debut at the start of the 2014-15 season against Manchester United.
      « Last Edit: Jul 13, 2016 09:01:38 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Re: Sergi Canos Player Thread
      Reply #1: Jan 26, 2015 02:16:23 pm
      Thanks for starting the thread :)

I've seen him play a few times and I do like him. Has good physicality, good on the ball, composed and quick. I really think this is the best crop of players I've seen from the youth.

Rossiter, Kent, Canos, Wilson, Sinclair, Ojo, Phillips & Chirivella. I would put money down on at least 2 making it into our first team.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #2: Mar 27, 2015 07:32:13 pm
      How is it going at Liverpool?

It's going really well. Now, better than ever. To be honest, it was difficult at first, but now I feel 100 percent adapted. Now I feel like myself and most importantly I am happy.

Are you happy with the experience you are gaining in England?

Very happy. I've had good time, but also times which weren't so good, but thanks to God and my family, everything has been overcome and I am happy with how things are going.

What's a normal day for Sergi Canos at Liverpool?

I get up at 8.20am and arrive at Liverpool's academy for 9am, where I eat breakfast. At 10.30am we train -- on the colder days we train a little bit later. At 12pm we eat. Some days we will go to the gym after that. I get home between 3pm and 4pm and I have to study. I am doing a science degree online. We eat dinner in my house around 8pm.

Tell us about your sporting development since leaving Barcelona...

When I came I played for the U18 team, which is like the Juvenil A, although in reality it's all different. This year I did preseason with the U21s, which is the reserve team. Then I dropped back to the U18s and in December I went back up to the U21s. I have been there ever since.

Have you trained with the first team?

Yes, we train with them often. I think that is one of the best things about being here. We are really close to the first team and train with them a lot.

Do any games stand out since joining Liverpool?

Yes, for sure... a lot. One was this year: I scored a hat-trick against Derby County in a game we drew 5-5. But the one that I have in my head the most is a game from last season. We were playing Reading in the quarter-final of the FA Youth Cup. We were losing 2-0, I had just returned from injury and was on the bench. I came on and we got it back to 2-2. In extra-time we went 4-2 up, but they came back in the second half of extra time and it went to penalties. They won and we were eliminated. In football here, you never know what will happen...

What are the differences between Barça and Liverpool in terms of youth development?

Everything is different. Not better or worse, just different. I think that's why it was so hard to adapt.

Many players dream of playing for Barça, but you decided to leave. Why?

I thought that it was the best decision. Liverpool offered me things at a sporting level that Barça didn't. I was also influenced by the fact my family could come with me and my younger sister could study and learn English here. It was a dream to play for Barça, so it was difficult to leave my life there, but now I am happy with the decision I took and happy to be here in Liverpool.

Are you in contact with any former Barça teammates?

Yes. I keep in contact with them, although whether you want to or not you do lose some contact. But I try to keep in touch because they were like brothers to me.   

What was your best match for Barça?

That's difficult because I have been in England a while now. I would say a game against Badalona when I was playing for Cadete A. We were losing 1-0 and we won 6-1 in the end with me scoring five goals. It's a great memory.

What do you think is more likely: Playing at Anfield or Camp Nou?

Obviously Anfield. That is what I decided and it is why I am working hard every day. I am searching for my dream. Everytime I go to Anfield, every time, my hairs stand up on the back of my neck and I get goosebumps seeing how the fans support Liverpool. If I feel that from the stands, imagine how it feels for the players when they play. It's a unique feeling to experience a game at Anfield.

A few weeks ago you played against Victor Valdes. How was that? Did you speak to him?

I felt a lot of respect. He's a player that has won everything and is a world champion. The best. I didn't speak with him much, just the usual. I wished him luck and asked him how the injury was. He's a crack on and off the pitch. It was a pleasure.

http://www.sport-english.com/en/noticias/inglaterra/sergi-canos-liverpool-offered-things-that-barcelona-didnt-4057205

Really like Canos and think we should try him as a #9 next season.
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #3: Mar 30, 2015 10:28:27 am
      How is it going at Liverpool?

It's going really well. Now, better than ever. To be honest, it was difficult at first, but now I feel 100 percent adapted. Now I feel like myself and most importantly I am happy.

Are you happy with the experience you are gaining in England?

Very happy. I've had good time, but also times which weren't so good, but thanks to God and my family, everything has been overcome and I am happy with how things are going.

What's a normal day for Sergi Canos at Liverpool?

I get up at 8.20am and arrive at Liverpool's academy for 9am, where I eat breakfast. At 10.30am we train -- on the colder days we train a little bit later. At 12pm we eat. Some days we will go to the gym after that. I get home between 3pm and 4pm and I have to study. I am doing a science degree online. We eat dinner in my house around 8pm.

Tell us about your sporting development since leaving Barcelona...

When I came I played for the U18 team, which is like the Juvenil A, although in reality it's all different. This year I did preseason with the U21s, which is the reserve team. Then I dropped back to the U18s and in December I went back up to the U21s. I have been there ever since.

Have you trained with the first team?

Yes, we train with them often. I think that is one of the best things about being here. We are really close to the first team and train with them a lot.

Do any games stand out since joining Liverpool?

Yes, for sure... a lot. One was this year: I scored a hat-trick against Derby County in a game we drew 5-5. But the one that I have in my head the most is a game from last season. We were playing Reading in the quarter-final of the FA Youth Cup. We were losing 2-0, I had just returned from injury and was on the bench. I came on and we got it back to 2-2. In extra-time we went 4-2 up, but they came back in the second half of extra time and it went to penalties. They won and we were eliminated. In football here, you never know what will happen...

What are the differences between Barça and Liverpool in terms of youth development?

Everything is different. Not better or worse, just different. I think that's why it was so hard to adapt.

Many players dream of playing for Barça, but you decided to leave. Why?

I thought that it was the best decision. Liverpool offered me things at a sporting level that Barça didn't. I was also influenced by the fact my family could come with me and my younger sister could study and learn English here. It was a dream to play for Barça, so it was difficult to leave my life there, but now I am happy with the decision I took and happy to be here in Liverpool.

Are you in contact with any former Barça teammates?

Yes. I keep in contact with them, although whether you want to or not you do lose some contact. But I try to keep in touch because they were like brothers to me.   

What was your best match for Barça?

That's difficult because I have been in England a while now. I would say a game against Badalona when I was playing for Cadete A. We were losing 1-0 and we won 6-1 in the end with me scoring five goals. It's a great memory.

What do you think is more likely: Playing at Anfield or Camp Nou?

Obviously Anfield. That is what I decided and it is why I am working hard every day. I am searching for my dream. Everytime I go to Anfield, every time, my hairs stand up on the back of my neck and I get goosebumps seeing how the fans support Liverpool. If I feel that from the stands, imagine how it feels for the players when they play. It's a unique feeling to experience a game at Anfield.

A few weeks ago you played against Victor Valdes. How was that? Did you speak to him?

I felt a lot of respect. He's a player that has won everything and is a world champion. The best. I didn't speak with him much, just the usual. I wished him luck and asked him how the injury was. He's a crack on and off the pitch. It was a pleasure.

http://www.sport-english.com/en/noticias/inglaterra/sergi-canos-liverpool-offered-things-that-barcelona-didnt-4057205

Really like Canos and think we should try him as a #9 next season.

No we shouldn't. He's not even 18 yet. Let him develop properly rather than throw him in the deep end.

Not having a go at you but I hate it when supporters want players fast-tracked into the first team. The difference in gulf between the Under-21s and the Premier League is huge and more so for someone who is just 17 years of age.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #4: Mar 30, 2015 01:18:19 pm
      No we shouldn't. He's not even 18 yet. Let him develop properly rather than throw him in the deep end.

Not having a go at you but I hate it when supporters want players fast-tracked into the first team. The difference in gulf between the Under-21s and the Premier League is huge and more so for someone who is just 17 years of age.

Him or Sinclair fighting for that 4th or 5th choice wouldn't go amiss, would it? I think Canos is ready to make the step up for U21s, and there we should play him as a #9, I think he has all the capabilities to play there.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #5: Mar 31, 2015 04:09:52 pm

Canos: We must relish Melwood chance
      31st Mar 2015 - Latest News

Sergi Canos has relished the opportunity of training at Melwood during the international break and showing Brendan Rodgers he has the talent to succeed.

Since arriving from Barcelona in 2013, the Spaniard has made steady progress at the Academy and this season has stepped up to the U21 squad.

Having hit 18 goals so far this term at all levels for the Academy, plus numerous assists, the 18-year-old knows how important it is to make an impression and grab the most of any Melwood opportunity.

"It's amazing to train here because it's where the first team train every day and where the top players are training, and that is an unbelievable feeling," Canos told Liverpoolfc.com.

"This is a big chance for us as they [manager and staff] trust in us and we can try to step up to the first team and that is our motivation."

Canos fired his first goal at U21 level in the recent 5-0 thumping of West Ham United and he is now hoping to help Michael Beale's side win the Barclays U21 Premier League title.

With seven fixtures to play, Beale's team are just one point behind leaders Manchester United with a game in hand.

They are next back in action on Tuesday April 7 when they host Fulham at Chester FC's Swansway Stadium at 3pm BST - a match you can watch live on LFCTV HD.

Reflecting on his first strike for the U21s, Canos added: "I feel really good now - it was my first goal at U21 level and hopefully I can get a lot more.

"I think I can do a lot more and better, but I like to score goals and play with the U21 side. We believe we can win [the title]. It's a big chance for us and we are desperate to win this league.

"It's good we will be playing at Chester again. We've had some good results there, it's a good pitch to play on and we are looking forward to it."

Canos also reflected on the experience of playing in the UEFA Youth League this season, insisting it was an invaluable process.

The Spaniard scored a superb goal against Benfica in the last 16, but a late winner took the Portuguese outfit through.

"That was an amazing experience and I have no words to describe it," he said. "It was a big chance to play against the best players in the world at our age and it was amazing.

"Losing to Benfica was a little bit frustrating for us. I think we deserved to win but that is football and we will learn from that."
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #6: Aug 31, 2015 09:43:46 pm
      Gone on loan to Brentford till January.  We're getting some fantastic loans for the lads this season.

Good luck Sergi.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #7: Nov 21, 2015 04:27:38 pm
      Bagged himself his first Brentford goal today to put them 1-0 up.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #8: Nov 21, 2015 05:16:26 pm
      Bagged himself his first Brentford goal today to put them 1-0 up.

Nice!!

I saw a fan interview the other day where he was saying how they have taken to him. His attitude, commitment, workrate and skills are impressing them a lot.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #9: Nov 29, 2015 02:50:54 pm
      Quote from: IslandBee;2762937
      I have rarely seen a substitute have the type of impact he had today: he singlehandedly changed the entire tenor and atmosphere of the match. With his first touch the game turned from being a soporific, turgid affair to a one full of zest and passion! Pretty remarkable stuff tbh!

Quote from: No_sting_Bee;2762955
      He can tackle and seems to play through the player as though they are not there. Givehim 20 mins every game if we are not already winning.

Quote from: Brentford_till_die;2763337
      Love his energy and enthusiasm. Exciting player who can make things happen. Well done Sergi

Quote from: daddybee;2763657
      Great attitude, energy and enthusiasm coupled with bags of talent.

I just love the fact that he's barking mad, totally up for it and obviously loves his football.

Quote from: PJ;2763743
      Sergi's a breath of fresh air. Love the way he chases lost causes, our winner on Sat resulted from his great attitude.
      That's 2 games he's won for us almost singlehandedly
      Hope he stays for the season, would seem to suit all parties as he seems to love it here :sorted:

Quote from: CTBee;2764182
      Canos on side, Jota on the other, Judge in the middle. That would rip a few sides apart.

Just a snippet of comments on Brentford forums. It seems the majority are loving him and want an extension.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #10: Nov 30, 2015 02:28:39 pm
      Good interview and he seems to be enjoying himself at Brentford.

Liverpool's Sergi Canos aiming to impress Jürgen Klopp at Brentford

By Nick Wright
      Last Updated: 30/11/15 11:46am

"Highly-rated Liverpool youngster Sergi Canos talks to Sky Sports about making an impression on loan at Brentford, his first meeting with Jürgen Klopp and mastering the Scouse accent...

Brentford have just finished training in west London and on-loan Liverpool winger Sergi Canos is laughing as he recalls the first time he heard the Scouse accent. "I came to England without any English, I couldn't even say hello," the Spaniard tells Sky Sports. "Everyone was telling me the Scouse accent is the most difficult to understand. But I said no, no it should be OK. The first sentence I heard? Wow! That's not the English I learned in school. That's German or something!"

Those early days on Merseyside came in the summer of 2013, when Canos was plucked from Barcelona's La Masia youth academy by Liverpool at the age of 16. It was a daunting move, but he soon began to feel at home, and two years later, Scouse expressions already form part of his vocabulary. "It was the hardest decision of my life, but obviously it's gone very well so I'm made up," he says with a grin.

Like many Barcelona youth players, Canos saw a clearer route to first-team football elsewhere. "I decided to go to Liverpool because they gave me things that Barca didn't," he says. "They said I could play in the U21s earlier than in Barca B." Sure enough, Canos was promoted to Liverpool's U21s just a year after joining, and this summer the Spanish youth international signed a five-month loan deal with Brentford for his first taste of senior action.

Canos is a popular figure at the Championship club, and his enthusiasm is obvious from the moment he strides into their press office and performs a drum roll with his hands on the desk between us. "I was scared before coming, but now I'm really happy," he says. "The first month was difficult to adapt and get used to the level, but now I think I'm finding it a little bit easier.

"It's obviously not easy - it's difficult to play in the Championship - but I'm finding it OK now. I'm learning a lot of new things every day, in every training session. That's why I'm happy because I'm growing as a player. That's the most important thing."

On the pitch, Canos has made an immediate impression. At just 18 years old, he has mostly been used as a substitute, but his pace, skill and tenacity have endeared him to Brentford supporters. He provided a crucial assist in a 2-1 win over Preston North End in September, and he scored his first goal in Saturday's victory over Nottingham Forest. "I went mad," he says. "It was an incredible feeling."

A little later that evening, Canos' parent club served up their 4-1 thrashing of Manchester City at the Etihad Stadium. "After our game, I was getting changed so I arrived at the hotel late to see Liverpool," says Canos. "I got to the TV in the 88th minute. I saw the '4-1'. Against City? Wow."

Canos is relishing his time in London with Brentford, but it has been a testing period for the club. Dutch coach Marinus Dijkhuizen was sacked in September after a poor start to the campaign, and his temporary replacement Lee Carsley - who Canos describes as an "unbelievable" coach - has talked of stepping down imminently despite overseeing five wins in their last seven games.

Despite the uncertainty, however, Canos is eager to extend his loan deal until the end of the season. "I don't know what I'm going to do but I want to stay here," he says. "I want to keep playing in the Championship and hopefully at Brentford. For me this opportunity is amazing. I'm growing a lot as a player so I want to stay."

Canos came down to London alone, but in Liverpool his family are laying down roots. They have just opened a Spanish restaurant near Penny Lane, and he smiles as he says his younger sister "already speaks like a Scouse girl". During the recent international break, there was even an opportunity for Canos to spend three days training with new manager Jürgen Klopp at Melwood.

The teenager was selected alongside the likes of Philippe Coutinho and Roberto Firmino in a friendly match against Wolves at the Reds' training ground. It was a memorable experience. "Klopp is a special manager," he says. "He's passionate. When we were playing the friendly game, it was like a Champions League game for him. For me, that matters, the importance he gives every match. Even if it's a friendly or a Champions League game, he treats it the same."

While Canos has only recently encountered Klopp, his first experience of Anfield came two years ago. "My first game at Anfield was another level," he says. "It made my hairs stand up. My Dad and me were in the stands watching. We were flipando [going crazy]. It was amazing."

So can he see himself playing there? "Nobody knows," he says. "I hope Klopp is watching but I can't think about the future. Now I'm at Brentford and I want to play against Bolton. I want to keep going. I want to make more goals for the team and make more assists. I'm only looking at next week."

Canos appears to be on the right path, and Brentford seems like the ideal place to keep moving in the right direction. Sooner or later, though, that Scouse accent might need some more work."

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/10081013/liverpools-sergi-canos-aiming-to-impress-Jürgen-klopp-at-brentford
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #11: Dec 19, 2015 06:49:38 pm
      Scored today and by all accounts is doing well.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #12: Dec 28, 2015 04:34:44 pm
      He's just scored a beauty of a goal to put Brentford 2-1 up.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #13: Dec 28, 2015 05:16:26 pm
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #14: Dec 28, 2015 05:23:47 pm
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #15: Dec 28, 2015 08:31:25 pm
      Cracker! Scored a few recently and by all accounts is a popular lad with players and fans.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #17: Dec 29, 2015 12:48:42 am
      Hopefully our new Torres
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #18: Dec 30, 2015 05:28:27 pm
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #19: Dec 30, 2015 05:47:04 pm

Stretching it a bit there aren't you? He's not played a game for us yet.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #20: Dec 30, 2015 06:57:18 pm
      Stretching it a bit there aren't you? He's not played a game for us yet.

Yeah well it's good to dream   :)

Binomial
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 885 posts | 37 
      • Doing things over and expecting different results
      Reply #21: Jan 15, 2016 06:22:07 pm
      surprised this young fella hasn't been mentioned more on here..

he's got it all imo, pace and trickery. fancy him to displace lallana next season

in action against high flyers burnley tonight...will keep an eye out
      Binomial
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 885 posts | 37 
      Reply #22: Jan 15, 2016 08:54:51 pm
      nvm, was subbed for 2nd half after an anonymous first 45
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #23: Jan 15, 2016 10:17:38 pm

he's got it all imo, pace and trickery. fancy him to displace lallana next season

in action against high flyers burnley tonight...will keep an eye out

nvm, was subbed for 2nd half after an anonymous first 45

You are an ignoramus.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,924 posts | 283 
      Reply #24: Jan 16, 2016 01:07:26 am

He will be when we get a 2 year transfer ban for tapping kids up...
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #25: Jan 16, 2016 01:05:54 pm

Ok... Who has the ban hammer?
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #26: Feb 23, 2016 10:24:50 pm
      Scored the first 2 and assisted the 3rd for Brentford against Wolves in a 3-0 win tonight.

Standing ovation when he went off.  Well done Sergi.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #27: Feb 23, 2016 10:44:41 pm
      Scored the first 2 and assisted the 3rd for Brentford against Wolves in a 3-0 win tonight.

Nice!!! Been keeping tabs on him, and the majority of their fans are frustrated he is not a starter, they absolutely love him and want to either buy or loan him for another year.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #28: Feb 24, 2016 12:37:58 am

Only scored one apparently.

Still, 4 goals and 2 assists in 900 minutes is quite good. A fair chunk of those minutes are coming on as a sub late.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #29: Feb 24, 2016 02:13:55 pm
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #30: Feb 27, 2016 04:31:09 pm

Thanks Debs for originally posting last year and giving us updates.
      Look forward to seeing him progress through eventually to the first team.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #31: Mar 26, 2016 07:31:44 pm
      Played for Spain u19s today in a 1-1 draw with Georgia.

Spain play England on Tuesday in the final qualifier, a game which England need to win.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #32: Apr 02, 2016 05:01:17 pm
      Scored for Brentford today in their 0-3 win against Forest.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #33: Apr 11, 2016 01:49:54 pm
      Forest vs Canos tonight on Sly sports, 19:45 kick off!
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #34: Apr 11, 2016 02:30:18 pm

He's doing well is Sergi, 5 goals and 3 assists in the Championship for a 19 year old isn't to be sniffed at.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #35: Apr 11, 2016 02:35:50 pm
      He's doing well is Sergi, 5 goals and 3 assists in the Championship for a 19 year old isn't to be sniffed at.

Yep, but the most impressive thing about him is his attitude on and off the pitch. Hallmarks of a top player imo.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #36: Apr 11, 2016 02:38:19 pm
      Yep, but the most impressive thing about him is his attitude on and off the pitch. Hallmarks of a top player imo.

True.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #37: Apr 11, 2016 02:48:39 pm

Forest are playing Brighton mate. He's on loan at Brentford.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #38: Apr 11, 2016 02:58:13 pm
      Forest are playing Brighton mate. He's on loan at Brentford.

Oh ffs, I thought they were playing Brentford!!  Thanks for clearing that up!
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #39: Apr 11, 2016 03:00:23 pm
      Oh ffs, I thought they were playing Brentford!!  Thanks for clearing that up!

No worries mate. Wouldn't want you to be disappointed if you tuned in tonight and wondered where Canos was :D
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #40: Apr 25, 2016 02:56:10 pm
      38 secs for Canos' goal.

https://youtu.be/6RMMVUpKBJA?t=37
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #41: Apr 25, 2016 03:02:39 pm
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #42: May 01, 2016 07:41:03 pm
      Pretty impressive season for the 19 year old, will be interesting to see him under klopp in the summer.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #43: May 01, 2016 07:51:34 pm
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #44: May 01, 2016 08:04:31 pm
      What a great player Sergi Canos is and will continue to become. He has a great future in the game with his fantastic mix of skill and love of the game. We have been very lucky to see a player of his talent playing for us. I would love to see him on another season long loan if at all possible but 1st team squad at Liverpool seems a much more likely place for him next season.
      Thank you Sergi for your amazing skills, goals, enthusiasm and love of the game, watching your football has been a sheer delight this season.

been an absolute joy to see him develop this season, really good attitude and approach to the game and some of his skills are to die for.

I will say it quietly but I've enjoyed Canos's loan spell more than Pritch. Something really likeable about the lad.

I so hope he can come back next Season in one way or another.

It's been an absolute pleasure to watch the lad this season. I really hope he goes on to have a brilliant career. A perfect loan signing. Everyone has benifitted.

A completely loose cannon and a joy to watch.
      Don't hold out much hope of seeing him back which is a great shame but will be interesting to see how he develops
      If he stays at Liverpool there is a chance he might get " lost in the system" do for his sake I hope he is sent out on loan again next season somewhere ( us pretty please) to continue his football education.
      With the correct management and chances he could be a very special player one day, delighting the crowd with tricks and flicks, showing all his passion collecting red and yellow cards and generally being a real crowd pleaser

An undoubted talent, pace, technical ability and commitment to take a physical challenge. Well done Sergi and thanks for your commitment in when wearing the RED AND WHITE!!!!

Pritch knows he is good and has that touch of arrogance that good players have. Sergi doesn't even know how good he is yet and has a swagger but not the arrogant streak. There have been criticisms about our recruitment this season, but whoever spotted this lad and got him to come to Brentford take a bow. A top use of the loan system.

He's played a massive part for one so young and inexperienced.
      I think he'll actually turn out to be a centre forward. Quick, strong and strangely for a foreign youngster he seems to enjoy the physical stuff.
      Would love him back. If not hopefully Liverpool have another we could borrow.

Taken from their main forums (I had to sign up ;D). There were many other compliments, but I just thought I post a few here.
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #45: May 08, 2016 02:56:23 am
      Scored a goal and bagged an assist in the 1-5 win at Huddersfield.

Link to the goal:

http://www.101greatgoals.com/101ggvideos/liverpools-sergi-canos-scored-just-20-seconds-brentford-official-video/

Awful defending, but such a cheeky finish! Outside of the right foot... Who does that remind you guys of? :D

Getting very excited to hopefully seeing this lad play more often next season!
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,678 posts | 3699 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #46: May 08, 2016 08:02:26 am
      Scored a goal and bagged an assist in the 1-5 win at Huddersfield.

Link to the goal:

http://www.101greatgoals.com/101ggvideos/liverpools-sergi-canos-scored-just-20-seconds-brentford-official-video/

Awful defending, but such a cheeky finish! Outside of the right foot... Who does that remind you guys of? :D

Getting very excited to hopefully seeing this lad play more often next season!

A shark, ooo Suarez :D The King of Uruguay
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #47: May 08, 2016 09:48:29 am
      Sign him to a long term contract and loan him back to them. Unlike quite a few of our loanees, he actually gets game time at the club he's at and in a very decent team too.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #48: May 08, 2016 10:56:36 am
      He's had a fantastic season and he's loved by their fans but if we make it into Europe next season I'd prefer him here as he'll get plenty of top level experience. 

If we make CL I'm sure he's still eligible for the UEFA Youth Trophy too.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #49: May 08, 2016 10:58:05 am
      Sign him to a long term contract and loan him back to them. Unlike quite a few of our loanees, he actually gets game time at the club he's at and in a very decent team too.

I say get him playing in our team asap. We don't want to be loaning people out every year because it literally never works. Training with our players and getting some game time will bring him on more. He's got his year of playing in the lower leagues, a second will do him no good.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #50: May 08, 2016 11:15:47 am
      I say get him playing in our team asap. We don't want to be loaning people out every year because it literally never works. Training with our players and getting some game time will bring him on more. He's got his year of playing in the lower leagues, a second will do him no good.

To say it literally never works is a lazy assumption.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #51: May 08, 2016 11:17:12 am
      To say it literally never works is a lazy assumption.

Prove me wrong then.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #52: May 08, 2016 11:41:59 am
      I too would love to see him return and given an opportunity. 

If our spine is fixed in the summer, I think we can get away with Canos and Ojo as cover for our wide players and slowly embed them in.

Also, I am curious, has there been a wide player in the last decade that has topped 39 games, 7 goals and 4 assists in his first professional season in the Championship?
      Liverdublian
      • Forum Youth Player

• 6 posts |
      Reply #53: May 09, 2016 01:53:19 pm
      Well done lads, cheers for the post. Haven't seen this young fella until today. Some real talent and composure fore such a young lad. Seems to be improving also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrtXavSpOC4
      Liverdublian
      • Forum Youth Player

• 6 posts |
      Reply #54: May 09, 2016 01:54:28 pm

What an absolute beaut! Nice post
      Binomial
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 885 posts | 37 
      Reply #55: May 09, 2016 07:51:12 pm
      now that the championship season is over and he's back, can he play on wednesday v chelsea? if not last game v west brom?
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #56: May 11, 2016 01:16:20 pm
      Quote from:  head coach Dean Smith
      "We'd like Sergi Canos to come back next season, he has done excellently for us and got a goal to set us on our way. He just has an energy and enthusiasm to play football and he puts smiles on people's faces. But he is only 19 and still learning the game and still needs to know where to go without the ball at times.

He has been an absolute pleasure to work with and I'd like to think that we've played a part in his development so far. We hope he has a bright future and if there's an opportunity for him to come back to us we'd love it."

http://www.kingstonguardian.co.uk/sport/football/14485133.Brentford__Liverpool_youngster_Sergi_Canos_would_be_welcome_back_at_Griffin_Park/
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #57: May 11, 2016 11:32:16 pm
      What a return would this be! (Jürgen in his post-game presser)

Sergi Canos poised for surprise Liverpool debut against West Brom

Sergi Canos is poised for a surprise Liverpool debut in their final Premier League game of the season at West Bromwich Albion on Sunday.

Canos will train with the first team at Melwood tomorrow having returned from a successful season-long loan at Championship side Brentford.

The 19-year-old Spanish midfielder scored seven goals in 39 appearances for the Bees, and won the club's goal of the season award following a spectacular strike at Reading in December.

And Reds boss Jürgen Klopp has revealed Canos is in contention for a first Liverpool appearance as part of what is expected to be a much-changed line-up at the Hawthorns at the weekend.

“Sergi will be training tomorrow because he is back with us,” said Klopp.

“He knows more about English football and it's possible he's available for Sunday. That's unbelievable and great.

“We will see how he feels. He did really good at Brentford and had a lot of time to play. For him it was really good. The Championship is a really strong league and he did well.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sergi-canos-poised-surprise-liverpool-11320554

Ojo and Canos on either side of Benteke, wouldn't mind seeing that against West-Brom.
      Binomial
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 885 posts | 37 
      Reply #58: May 13, 2016 09:25:54 pm
      now that the championship season is over and he's back, can he play on wednesday v chelsea? if not last game v west brom?

guess klopp answered my question then, v west brom it will be.

good luck to you sergi. shine for us.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #59: May 24, 2016 12:46:51 pm
      Disappointed to hear Canos is looking for a move to another club preferably in London.

Thought he might make an impact next season but maybe he isn't in Klopp's plans.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #60: May 24, 2016 12:50:57 pm
      Disappointed to hear Canos is looking for a move to another club preferably in London.

Thought he might make an impact next season but maybe he isn't in Klopp's plans.

Yeah, with us not in Europe, realistically, his only chance of first team action with us would Carling Cup or out on loan, but with 1 year left on his contract, I suspect he'll be leaving.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #61: May 25, 2016 08:08:03 am
      Think it's probably the right move considering we're not in Europe. If we want at least one, if not two attacking signings, then there's not a chance he'll see any time on the pitch next season. I think this will be the case with a lot of our young players who are a level below the likes of Brannagan and Ojo.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #62: Jun 26, 2016 11:25:44 pm
      I'll be sad to see him go but if the deal goes through at least we've had the sense to add both a buy back option and a sell on fee.

Sergi Canos Liverpool career looks over as Bristol City line up transfer

22:30, 26 Jun 2016
          By Kristian Walsh

Canos and his representatives have been involved in a stand-off over wages

Sergi Canos’ Liverpool career looks to be coming to an end, with Bristol City lining up a move for the teenager.

The Spanish midfielder has been involved in a stand-off over a new contract at Anfield, and the ECHO understands he is likely to move to the Championship club in a £2.5m deal.

It is understood that would also include a sizeable sell-on clause, while there is also a buy-back option.

Canos made his first team debut for the club on the final day of last season against West Bromwich Albion, coming on as a late substitute.

It was reward for the 19-year-old’s impressive displays on loan at Brentford throughout the 2015-16 campaign.

However, Canos and his representatives have failed to reach an agreement over a new contract, with wage demands of £10,000-a-week believed to be a considerable sticking point.

A deal of that value would put him on better terms than other Academy graduates who have signed new deals with the Reds recently.

Canos joined the Reds’ Academy from Barcelona and scored seven goals in 38 appearances with Brentford last season.

After making his Liverpool debut, he hailed it as ‘the best 10 minutes’ of his life.

Speaking after his Reds debut at The Hawthorns, Canos said: “When people say dreams come true, they are right. Today one of my dreams came true.

“I’ve had hunger from the first day I came to Liverpool three years ago. I hope I’ll be able to train with the senior squad more in future and show the manager that I can play for Liverpool.

“My family told me it’s sad the season is finishing. It’s been the best season of my life.

“I made my debut in the Championship, I scored my first professional goal and now I’ve made my debut for Liverpool. I am really happy.

“I’ll be back for pre-season and ready to go 200%.”
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #63: Jun 26, 2016 11:27:19 pm
      I'll be sad to see him go but if the deal goes through at least we've had the sense to add both a buy back option and a sell on fee.

Sergi Canos Liverpool career looks over as Bristol City line up transfer

22:30, 26 Jun 2016
          By Kristian Walsh

Sergi Canos’ Liverpool career looks to be coming to an end, with Bristol City lining up a move for the teenager.

The Spanish midfielder has been involved in a stand-off over a new contract at Anfield, and the ECHO understands he is likely to move to the Championship club in a £2.5m deal.

It is understood that would also include a sizeable sell-on clause, while there is also a buy-back option.

Canos made his first team debut for the club on the final day of last season against West Bromwich Albion, coming on as a late substitute.

It was reward for the 19-year-old’s impressive displays on loan at Brentford throughout the 2015-16 campaign.

However, Canos and his representatives have failed to reach an agreement over a new contract, with wage demands of £10,000-a-week believed to be a considerable sticking point.

A deal of that value would put him on better terms than other Academy graduates who have signed new deals with the Reds recently.

Canos joined the Reds’ Academy from Barcelona and scored seven goals in 38 appearances with Brentford last season.

After making his Liverpool debut, he hailed it as ‘the best 10 minutes’ of his life.

Speaking after his Reds debut at The Hawthorns, Canos said: “When people say dreams come true, they are right. Today one of my dreams came true.

“I’ve had hunger from the first day I came to Liverpool three years ago. I hope I’ll be able to train with the senior squad more in future and show the manager that I can play for Liverpool.

“My family told me it’s sad the season is finishing. It’s been the best season of my life.

“I made my debut in the Championship, I scored my first professional goal and now I’ve made my debut for Liverpool. I am really happy.

“I’ll be back for pre-season and ready to go 200%.”

Like you, I like the addition of a sell on clause and buy back price.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #64: Jun 26, 2016 11:35:24 pm
      Like you, I like the addition of a sell on clause and buy back price.

It's about time we did mate, not that any of our youngsters have become superstars after they left but never the less it's possible one could get away that we'd be kicking ourselves over.

What I don't get with these kids though is if he's going over the money we've offered, he'll be taking far less going to Bristol.  I know he'll get to play more and if he does really well could get a bigger move in a couple of seasons but after being so excited about his 10 minute cameo it just seems weird that he's off a couple of months later.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #65: Jun 27, 2016 12:10:06 am

Seems to be a recurring problem.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,385 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #66: Jun 27, 2016 12:21:41 am
      Disappointed that following the path of rossiter and Sinclair out the door although rossiter has more chance of playing first team football.good luck sergi
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #67: Jun 27, 2016 08:05:47 am
      Another youngster more interested in what he can earn rather than develop under a top coach.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #68: Jun 27, 2016 09:55:57 am
      Seems to be a recurring problem.

When he's asking for more than the other youngsters his age and older, who have already signed new contracts mate I don't blame the club.  He's behind Mane (when he signs), Markovic, Ibe and even Ojo for his position and like I said in the post he'll not be earning anything like £10k per week at Bristol, which is what he was wanting off us.

Yes we can afford it but he's played the grand total of 10 minutes for us, so he hasn't earned it.

Good luck to him and at least we've had the sense to add a buy back clause and a hefty sell on clause too.
      FanBoy
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 30 posts |
      Reply #69: Jun 27, 2016 12:52:23 pm
      Bristol City. My most hated club.

They're throwing cash around like there's no tomorrow - have agreed a £6m fee for Lee Tomlin of Bournemouth too apparently.

Agents are destroying young players' careers with these ridiculous wage demands. For a 19 year old he should be honoured to play for a club like Liverpool. He has years yet to worry about wages.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #70: Jun 27, 2016 12:59:45 pm
      When he's asking for more than the other youngsters his age and older, who have already signed new contracts mate I don't blame the club.  He's behind Mane (when he signs), Markovic, Ibe and even Ojo for his position and like I said in the post he'll not be earning anything like £10k per week at Bristol, which is what he was wanting off us.

Yes we can afford it but he's played the grand total of 10 minutes for us, so he hasn't earned it.

Good luck to him and at least we've had the sense to add a buy back clause and a hefty sell on clause too.

He may well be on less money at Bristol, but presumably he will have a better chance of regular first team football too. If we ever wish to keep our best youngsters and see them develop we have to give them some incentive to stay and usually when the opportunities aren't there it comes down to money.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #71: Jun 27, 2016 01:17:54 pm
      He may well be on less money at Bristol, but presumably he will have a better chance of regular first team football too. If we ever wish to keep our best youngsters and see them develop we have to give them some incentive to stay and usually when the opportunities aren't there it comes down to money.

Or we let them go and spread their wings to develop elsewhere with the option we can bring them back for a small fee if they become the player we need them to be.

Or would you prefer we didn't buy Mane, then sell Lallana, Ibe and Ojo so that he gets to play every week for us for the next couple of seasons mate?

If regular playing is what he wants and we can't provide it right now then I don't have a problem with him going, he needs to do what he feels is right for his career.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #72: Jun 27, 2016 01:32:46 pm
      Bristol City. My most hated club.

They're throwing cash around like there's no tomorrow - have agreed a £6m fee for Lee Tomlin of Bournemouth too apparently.

Agents are destroying young players' careers with these ridiculous wage demands. For a 19 year old he should be honoured to play for a club like Liverpool. He has years yet to worry about wages.

I'll be surprised if Tomlin costs £6m. It'll be no more than 3 million surely?
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #73: Jun 27, 2016 01:36:23 pm
      Or we let them go and spread their wings to develop elsewhere with the option we can bring them back for a small fee if they become the player we need them to be.

Or would you prefer we didn't buy Mane, then sell Lallana, Ibe and Ojo so that he gets to play every week for us for the next couple of seasons mate?

If regular playing is what he wants and we can't provide it right now then I don't have a problem with him going, he needs to do what he feels is right for his career.

The option to buy back is conditional on him wanting to come back. Who's to say he would? Might have been a better option to loan him out which still gives us the decision.

Maybe you would prefer we let all our young players go so they could spread their wings, then you don't need to worry about our buying players and taking away young players opportunities.

As I said this is a recurring problem and we can either accept that not only can we not hang on to our best players, but now we can't even hang on to our youth players, or we reassess what we do.

Personally I have never been in favour of the shut your eyes, ignore the problem and think of the money solution.   

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #74: Jun 27, 2016 01:49:28 pm
      The option to buy back is conditional on him wanting to come back. Who's to say he would? Might have been a better option to loan him out which still gives us the decision.

Maybe you would prefer we let all our young players go so they could spread their wings, then you don't need to worry about our buying players and taking away young players opportunities.

As I said this is a recurring problem and we can either accept that not only can we not hang on to our best players, but now we can't even hang on to our youth players, or we reassess what we do.

Personally I have never been in favour of the shut your eyes, ignore the problem and think of the money solution.   

As I understand a "buy back clause" the player agrees with the clause when the sale contract is drawn up so can't refuse to come back if we trigger it.  The price we will offer is also agreed at the point of sale too so if he develops into a worldy we won't be paying a fortune to get him back like the mancs will if they wanted Pogba back.

That's what happened with Moratta when Real let him go and with Dennis Suarez when Barca let him go. 

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #75: Jun 27, 2016 01:57:16 pm
      As I understand a "buy back clause" the player agrees with the clause when the sale contract is drawn up so can't refuse to come back if we trigger it.  The price we will offer is also agreed at the point of sale too so if he develops into a worldy we won't be paying a fortune to get him back like the mancs will if they wanted Pogba back.

That's what happened with Moratta when Real let him go and with Dennis Suarez when Barca let him go. 

I don't think so Debs, the buy back is an agreement with the club (Bristol) not the player.

I simply don't agree with the money argument mate. If you had said he wasn't good enough I would have accepted that.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #76: Jun 27, 2016 02:04:05 pm
      I don't think so Debs, the buy back is an agreement with the club (Bristol) not the player.

I simply don't agree with the money argument mate. If you had said he wasn't good enough I would have accepted that.

I don't think he is good enough otherwise we would have kept him.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #77: Jun 27, 2016 02:10:40 pm
      I don't think he is good enough otherwise we would have kept him.

Yeah, but what do you know :)

I would be quite happy if that was the case mate. Just don't want to lose good players because our wages policy dictates decisions.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #78: Jun 27, 2016 02:13:49 pm
      Yeah, but what do you know :)

I would be quite happy if that was the case mate. Just don't want to lose good players because our wages policy dictates decisions.

I agree I don't know much  ;D but I know Sergi is no world beater!

He will end up in the lower leagues somewhere and earn a decent living.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #79: Jun 27, 2016 02:16:31 pm

We don't know if he's going to be good enough mate, that's been my whole point. 

If he was good enough to be a regular starter in our team now do you really think I'd be happy for him to go, of course I wouldn't but we won't know how good he's likely to be for at least another 2 seasons.

He's a good little player, he's done well at u21s and with Brentford but he's still not good enough to be a regular starter for Liverpool.

I haven't checked the details of his buy back mate but how you've described it isn't how they're usually set up.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #80: Jun 27, 2016 02:22:37 pm
      We don't know if he's going to be good enough mate, that's been my whole point. 

If he was good enough to be a regular starter in our team now do you really think I'd be happy for him to go, of course I wouldn't but we won't know how good he's likely to be for at least another 2 seasons.

He's a good little player, he's done well at u21s and with Brentford but he's still not good enough to be a regular starter for Liverpool.

I haven't checked the details of his buy back mate but how you've described it isn't how they're usually set up.

The player is not under any compulsion to come back Debs. The agreement is with the buying club not the player. That's why a player can have a new contract negotiated but it doesn't effect the buyback as that is with club.

I think the point is not whether he is good enough now, but whether he is likely to be in the future. If he's not then sell him, if he is then we should be looking to keep him, not sell him to save on wages.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #81: Jun 27, 2016 02:29:24 pm

Hope you know I was joking mate.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #82: Jun 27, 2016 02:32:26 pm
      The player is not under any compulsion to come back Debs. The agreement is with the buying club not the player. That's why a player can have a new contract negotiated but it doesn't effect the buyback as that is with club.

I think the point is not whether he is good enough now, but whether he is likely to be in the future. If he's not then sell him, if he is then we should be looking to keep him, not sell him to save on wages.

Can you please explain how buy-back clauses work – like the one used in Barcelona’s agreement with Aston Villa for Adama Traore?

Buy-back clauses in transfer agreements are used primarily to give a selling club the security of being able to repurchase a promising player at a set fee should the player excel in the future. Some high profile examples of such reported clauses include Álvaro Morata (Juve back to Madrid),Casemiro (Porto back to Real Madrid) and Gerard Deulofeu (Everton back to Barcelona).

In many cases, the benefit of the transfer extends to the:

- selling club as they receive a transfer fee for a player that at present probably isn’t getting regular playing time with the possibility of requiring the player if he plays well at a predefined fee;

- buying club who can purchase a player that they otherwise may not have been able to acquire had it not been for the clause. In addition, the buyback figure is usually significantly higher than the original transfer fee; and

- player (who can play regular first team football, probably receive a pay rise and demonstrate their talent).

- The buy-back provision is usually based on a number of individual or cumulative triggers including activating the clause:

In defined transfer windows (i.e. the selling club cannot buy back the player for a minimum of two seasons);

- should the original selling club bid a set amount (which could vary depending on the season that the buy-back clause is triggered i.e. €2m in the 15-16 windows and €2.5m in the 16-17 windows).

- Should a buy-back provision be triggered, there is usually a contractual obligation to enforce the contract and transfer the player accordingly.

As such provisions are commercial agreements between contracting parties, there is always the possibility of removing a buy-back clause should both parties agree (usually through payment made to the club that has the benefit of the buy-back clause).

http://www.isportconnect.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=32853:football-transfers-buy-back-clauses-explained-daniel-geey&catid=61:sport-finance&Itemid=177
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #83: Jun 27, 2016 02:37:00 pm
      Hope you know I was joking mate.

I wasn't   :D

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #84: Jun 27, 2016 02:39:54 pm
      Can you please explain how buy-back clauses work – like the one used in Barcelona’s agreement with Aston Villa for Adama Traore?

Buy-back clauses in transfer agreements are used primarily to give a selling club the security of being able to repurchase a promising player at a set fee should the player excel in the future. Some high profile examples of such reported clauses include Álvaro Morata (Juve back to Madrid),Casemiro (Porto back to Real Madrid) and Gerard Deulofeu (Everton back to Barcelona).

In many cases, the benefit of the transfer extends to the:

- selling club as they receive a transfer fee for a player that at present probably isn’t getting regular playing time with the possibility of requiring the player if he plays well at a predefined fee;

- buying club who can purchase a player that they otherwise may not have been able to acquire had it not been for the clause. In addition, the buyback figure is usually significantly higher than the original transfer fee; and

- player (who can play regular first team football, probably receive a pay rise and demonstrate their talent).

- The buy-back provision is usually based on a number of individual or cumulative triggers including activating the clause:

In defined transfer windows (i.e. the selling club cannot buy back the player for a minimum of two seasons);

- should the original selling club bid a set amount (which could vary depending on the season that the buy-back clause is triggered i.e. €2m in the 15-16 windows and €2.5m in the 16-17 windows).

- Should a buy-back provision be triggered, there is usually a contractual obligation to enforce the contract and transfer the player accordingly.

As such provisions are commercial agreements between contracting parties, there is always the possibility of removing a buy-back clause should both parties agree (usually through payment made to the club that has the benefit of the buy-back clause).

http://www.isportconnect.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=32853:football-transfers-buy-back-clauses-explained-daniel-geey&catid=61:sport-finance&Itemid=177

I think you will find that the contractual obligation (highlighted)means with the club not the player.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #85: Jul 12, 2016 06:22:51 pm
      4 year deal agreed with Norwich.  Will be announced tomorrow.
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #86: Jul 13, 2016 04:35:05 pm
      Reds confirm Sergi Canos has completed Norwich switch

Liverpool Football Club can confirm Sergi Canos has joined Norwich City on a permanent transfer.

The 19-year-old departs for Carrow Road after three years with the Reds following a move from Barcelona in the summer of 2013.

Canos spent last season on loan at Brentford, but returned to Merseyside in time to make his senior debut for Jürgen Klopp’s side as a second-half substitute in the 1-1 draw at West Brom on the final day of the Premier League campaign in May.

Everybody at Liverpool FC wishes Sergi all the best in his future career.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/227363-reds-confirm-sergi-canos-has-completed-norwich-switch

So it's official then. Price is rumoured to be around £2.5m. Another bit of good business, that's a decent fee.

Best of luck at Norwich Sergi, let's hope we can see you shine in the Premier League next season.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #87: Jul 13, 2016 05:00:52 pm
      Really wanted to see this kid play in Liverpool red but it wasn't to be.

All the best Sergi, do well and we could see you back one day.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Sergi Canos (Liverpool -> Norwich City)
      Reply #88: Jul 13, 2016 09:03:12 pm
      Price is rumoured to be around £2.5m

Potentially another £2M on top of that depending.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #89: Jul 15, 2016 12:05:44 am
      James Pearce confirmed we have a buy back clause :)
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,341 posts | 1620 
      Reply #90: Aug 23, 2016 11:21:20 pm
      Had a great game tonight well that's how it seemed listening to the radio got a brace as well .
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #91: Jan 31, 2017 02:00:39 pm
      Seems he's off back to Brentford after only plying u23s footy at Norwich this season.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #92: Jan 31, 2017 06:55:39 pm
      Seems he's off back to Brentford after only plying u23s footy at Norwich this season.

Works well for us thanks to the sell on clause we put in the deal.

Quick Reply