Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Sheyi Ojo (Liverpool > Cardiff City)

Read 66032 times
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: Sheyi Ojo Player Thread
      Reply #161: Nov 15, 2016 11:02:17 pm
      Fantastic news.  Shame about the setback after he should have started training again in September, so finger crossed he'll be fine this time.  We could need this kid over the coming months.

14th November 2016
      Sheyi Ojo hands Liverpool boss Klopp an injury boost

Another Liverpool youngster looks set to hand the Reds an injury boost, with Sheyi Ojo returning to training.

The 19-year-old winger enjoyed a breakout campaign under JĆ¼rgen Klopp last season, making 11 appearances after returning on loan from Wolves in January.

But after promising outings at pre-season, Ojo suffered a back injury in the friendly defeat to Roma and has not been available for selection since.

Ojo, who sustained a fracture in his back, was scheduled for a mid-September return but suffered a setback.

He has now hinted he is ready to return to action however, posting a picture on Instagram with his boots on.

His comeback comes a day after Joe Gomez returned to action for the first time in 13 months, playing 45 minutes in a 6-0 behind closed doors friendly against Accrington.

A return to fitness would also be timely for Klopp, who is set to lose the squadā€™s only other recognised winger, Sadio Mane, to the Africa Cup of Nations in January.

Great news indeed!

Looking forward to both these lads progressing well now and hopefully that's the end of their injury misery. As you say, both could be vital by the end of the campaign.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #162: Nov 15, 2016 11:15:42 pm
      Great news indeed!

Looking forward to both these lads progressing well now and hopefully that's the end of their injury misery. As you say, both could be vital by the end of the campaign.

I don't think we have a player in the squad who can't play a vital role now mate.  Gone are the days of being worried about the quality of the replacements. 

Yeah I know some aren't perfect and of course some players, if out for a long time, would be missed more than others but our options are all pretty solid for a game or two. 

Makes me laugh everytime I read that we have no squad depth, albeit from opposition fans.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #163: Nov 16, 2016 07:31:40 pm
      I don't think we have a player in the squad who can't play a vital role now mate.  Gone are the days of being worried about the quality of the replacements. 

Yeah I know some aren't perfect and of course some players, if out for a long time, would be missed more than others but our options are all pretty solid for a game or two. 

Makes me laugh everytime I read that we have no squad depth, albeit from opposition fans.

Do they really say that? Depth is actually one of our strongest suits.

If he can get back to the form he had in preseason or at the end of last season, I like Ojo as the replacement for Mane in a 4-3-3 while Mane is in Africa. Hopefully he can be managed back to top form in that time period. We have three matches where Klopp will probably set out a 2nd 11 (like he did vs. Spurs in the League Cup) because of their proximity to other matches: League Cup vs. Leeds, midweek match with Middlesborough and Jan. 2 match vs. Sunderland just 46 hours after playing Man City. Hopefully Ojo can be a part of those.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #164: Nov 16, 2016 07:44:10 pm

If he can get back to the form he had in preseason or at the end of last season, I like Ojo as the replacement for Mane in a 4-3-3 while Mane is in Africa. Hopefully he can be managed back to top form in that time period. We have three matches where Klopp will probably set out a 2nd 11 (like he did vs. Spurs in the League Cup) because of their proximity to other matches: League Cup vs. Leeds, midweek match with Middlesborough and Jan. 2 match vs. Sunderland just 46 hours after playing Man City. Hopefully Ojo can be a part of those.

They do really say that, seen it myself on numerous occasions. I just sit there and laugh ;D. Fixture congestion is going to be real around Christmas time as it is every year, players like Ojo are going to be a god send while teams like United are using Lingard :D.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #165: Nov 16, 2016 08:08:46 pm

Yeah Rob they do.

We're going to suffer loads of injuries and burn out during the Xmas period due to how we play (we do run more than any other team) then seriously miss Mane when he's away in Africa because our options are rubbish.

Sturridge is never fit (only one slight niggle since February) and Origi must be crap 'cos he never features now and he's too inconsistant.

As for Ojo, I don't think he'll necessarily start or come in as a direct relacement for Mane as I believe JĆ¼rgen will tweak things using the senior players but he's a fantastic option off the bench late in games.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #166: Nov 17, 2016 03:16:58 pm
      Yeah Rob they do.

We're going to suffer loads of injuries and burn out during the Xmas period due to how we play (we do run more than any other team) then seriously miss Mane when he's away in Africa because our options are rubbish.

Sturridge is never fit (only one slight niggle since February) and Origi must be crap 'cos he never features now and he's too inconsistant.

As for Ojo, I don't think he'll necessarily start or come in as a direct relacement for Mane as I believe JĆ¼rgen will tweak things using the senior players but he's a fantastic option off the bench late in games.

I just go back to how he made 11 changes for the Spurs League Cup match, and we won. I know it wasn't Spurs strongest side either, but it still shows an abundance of quality in our squad, that I didn't think we had back in July, to be honest. It also shows he will use very young players if he thinks they are good enough and I think Ojo showed last spring and in preseason that he is. Now he just needs to regain match fitness.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #167: Dec 03, 2016 12:49:03 pm
      Fantastic news, we're going to need him next month.

Ojo cleared for Liverpool action again after overcoming injury.

Young winger will be starting soon for U23 team.

ByJames Pearce

11:56, 2 DEC 2016

Liverpool winger Sheyi Ojo has been given the green light to make his return to competitive action.

The 19-year-old has been sidelined since he was diagnosed with a stress fracture in his back in pre-season.

Ojo finally returned to training at Melwood last month but boss JĆ¼rgen Klopp has decided that he would benefit from spending time with the U23s squad at Kirkby in order to build up his match fitness.

He could feature for Michael Bealeā€™s side away to Leicester City in the Premier League International Cup on Saturday (1pm kick-off).

ā€œOjo is a very young boy and he needs a lot of training,ā€ Klopp said.  ā€œHeā€™s not injured any more but he needs training, training, training and as much game time as possible.  ā€œWe thought it made absolute sense that for the next few weeks heā€™s with the second team for the training and for the games.  Anything we could do would be too early for him.  ā€œHe needs to get a rhythm and come back in shape.  Heā€™s not match fit so he needs to collect minutes with the U23s.ā€

Ojo, who joined the Redsā€™ Academy from MK Dons in 2011, will be gunning to get his Liverpool career back on track after a breakthrough campaign in 2015/16.

Recalled from a loan spell at Wolves by Klopp last January, the pacey wideman enhanced his reputation as he made 11 first-team appearances for the Reds.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #168: Dec 03, 2016 06:49:52 pm
      Played 65 minutes for the u23s today.  Great to see him back.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #169: Dec 08, 2016 09:53:07 pm
      Great to hear as I believe he is our biggest talent out of the youngsters and hopefully we start to see some cameo's soon.

https://twitter.com/anfieldhq/status/806973129671266305
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #170: Dec 09, 2016 02:44:20 pm
      http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ojo-hopes-liverpool-chance-can-12294027

I liked this interview, where the quotes Debs mentioned are from, I believe.

He is a bright young man and fairly articulate. I've heard some young footballers interviewed who seem unable to speak their way out of the proverbial paper bag. Not Ojo - his grammar and syntax ratings on Football Manager would be in the high teens.  :)

bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #171: Jan 08, 2017 03:42:33 pm
      Wake up call for me today watching Ojo, though he was awful. How many terrible crosses did he put in. Would need to buck up a lot or will be going the way of Ibe.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #172: Jan 08, 2017 03:57:02 pm
      Wake up call for me today watching Ojo, though he was awful. How many terrible crosses did he put in. Would need to buck up a lot or will be going the way of Ibe.

Come on mate.  He's barely played since the summer due to fracturing his spine, think that's only his 2nd 90mins he's managed.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #173: Jan 08, 2017 05:16:19 pm

His first start in over a year for the first team and that's what you noticed? He is clearly still rusty.

Re crosses I cant remember him trying to put in many crosses. You confused with TAA and Moreno.

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #174: Jan 08, 2017 07:41:56 pm
      I thought he was poor today too. Against that level of opposition he ought to have been terrifying them, the header was abysmal as well.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #175: Jan 08, 2017 07:47:38 pm
      His first start in over a year for the first team and that's what you noticed? He is clearly still rusty.

Re crosses I cant remember him trying to put in many crosses. You confused with TAA and Moreno.

That is a fair point, that he'd been out a while, but so had Gomez who  looked far more assured but then again he had sod all to do all game.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #176: Jan 09, 2017 12:47:54 am

Yeah, I thought he was poor, but he wasn't the only one.

Some of those youngsters flattered to deceive.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #177: Jan 09, 2017 12:56:04 am
      I thought he was poor today too. Against that level of opposition he ought to have been terrifying them, the header was abysmal as well.

Had a touch of the Jovanovic's about it.  ;D

http://youtu.be/moUGC5e_8Zk
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #178: Jan 09, 2017 01:37:12 am
      Great support for a lad that's not played in forever, keep it up guys :roll:
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #179: Jan 18, 2017 09:34:09 pm
      Most effective player since he came on
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,293 posts | 177 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #180: Jan 18, 2017 09:51:33 pm
      Most effective player since he came on

Almost seemed to be a natural winger...
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #181: Jan 18, 2017 11:21:08 pm
      Excellent cameo from Ojo always looking to take on his man and got in some dangerous looking crosses.

skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Reply #182: Jan 19, 2017 01:55:54 pm
      Like what I see of him last night, promising, keep work hard boy.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #183: Jan 19, 2017 08:02:25 pm
      Give him a start against Swansea in Mane's position, could be very interesting, I think he'd slot in very nicely.

Quick Reply