Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Chelsea v Liverpool 2nd Leg(1-1) Pre Match-League Cup 27th Jan SS1 19:45GMT

Read 9980 times
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,483 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Chelsea v Liverpool 2nd Leg(1-1) Pre Match-League Cup 27th Jan SS1 19:45GMT
      Jan 26, 2015 07:14:48 pm
      Unsure why this hasn't been created already?  ??? :roll:

We go to Chelsea with good confidence

Liverpool's dominant performance in the first leg of their semi-final with Chelsea means they can travel to Stamford Bridge for the return with confidence, explained Brendan Rodgers today.

The manager was previewing the League Cup last four decider, which is delicately balanced after the rivals traded a blow apiece in their initial meeting at Anfield last Tuesday.

Jose Mourinho's team broke the deadlock on Merseyside when Eden Hazard won a penalty in front of the Kop and stepped up himself to send compatriot Simon Mignolet the wrong way.

But back came the Reds, and in emphatic fashion. They attacked the Londoners almost constantly following the interval and levelled proceedings through a fine Raheem Sterling strike.

The consensus was that Rodgers' side had done enough to win the match and although they did not, the showing gives the Northern Irishman great faith for the second tie.

"It's a different game, of course, but a game we'll have to be really solid in our defending in," assessed the manager at a press conference from Melwood on Monday morning.

"That was also key; we were a real threat going forward, but if you analyse the last game we were very good defensively. We had great pressure on the ball, we were very good controlling the counter-attack.

"They had one moment just after half-time when [Diego] Costa sort of got through and we were on our toes, with Simon [Mignolet] at the edge of the box.

"Apart from that, we controlled the counter-attack really well and looked a real threat going forward. I felt we took that performance into the cup game against Bolton, but just couldn't quite get the goal.

"The team is on the up, we have seen that over the last number of weeks - confidence is really high. We certainly won't be underestimating Chelsea because they have had a disappointing result, we know that every element of our game has to be at a high level.

"But we've got great confidence going into the game, knowing that in particular away from home our form and resilience is getting better and better, and we can get a result.

"The opportunity to win trophies was always going to be a priority for us. We're at the semi-final stage, it's a one-off game now to take us there. We feel confident that we can get a result that gets us into the final."

Chelsea were in FA Cup action at their home ground on Saturday afternoon and were the subject of one of the tournament's most surprising results of this or any season.

Leading 2-0 against Bradford City and in command, the Blues appeared to be destined for the fifth round until the League One outfit stormed back to claim a 4-2 triumph.

Asked how that result might affect their approach to tackling Liverpool, Rodgers commented: "They had a tough result at the weekend but it doesn't mean they're not a dangerous team or an outstanding team.

"They will have great motivation in a different game and different competition, with a Wembley place at stake. When you come off a game like that, you want to put it right.

"But there is also that in the back of your mind that even if you're up in the game - like they were, 2-0 - you can still lose the game. So I'm sure there'll be that bit of trepidation. But it will be a motivation to get over the result.

"They are a very good side. We played them last week when they were probably coming off their best result and performance, arguably, of the season against Swansea.

"But we were outstanding in the game, and showed a real level of performance that restricted them to a penalty. They had no corners, for a team that is very dangerous from corners.

"We restricted them to very limited possession and opportunities. But they are still a dangerous team. We know it's going to be a tough game.

"But we're certainly going into the game with no fear. Our strength is very much in attack and going forward - we showed that in the last game."

Author: Chris Shaw (LFC Offal)

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/178833-br-we-go-to-chelsea-with-good-confidence

'We have the quality to book Wembley trip'

Jordan Henderson insists Liverpool have the necessary qualities to book a trip to Wembley by overcoming Chelsea in their League Cup semi-final tomorrow night.

The tie with the Barclays Premier League leaders is finely balanced following a 1-1 draw in the opening leg between the rivals at Anfield last Tuesday.

Eden Hazard handed Jose Mourinho's team an early advantage from the penalty spot that evening, but the response from the Reds was hugely impressive.

They dominated the second period and deserved more than just the equaliser produced by an exquisite dribble and finish from the returning Raheem Sterling.

Henderson therefore approaches the decisive return at Stamford Bridge with confidence as the target of silverware moves within reach for Brendan Rodgers' charges.

"It's a big opportunity for us going there on Tuesday," said the Liverpool vice-captain. "We need to defend like we have been and look to hurt them on the break.

"It would mean everything to get to a Wembley final. One of our big aims this season was to win a trophy and if we beat Chelsea, we won't be far away.

"We've been through some tough times this season but we have dug in and stuck together as a team. We've come out the other side.

"We've got great team spirit and if we play the way we can, then we can get a good result there.

"We have to be strong both physically and mentally against Chelsea, and I think we've shown that recently. We've shown that we can be physical when we need to be.

"We've been fantastic of late and hopefully we can keep putting in performances. We are growing as a team. Hopefully we can keep going from strength to strength."

Chelsea were eliminated from the FA Cup in dramatic fashion on Saturday, with Bradford City recovering from a two-goal deficit to record a 4-2 triumph at Stamford Bridge.

Henderson said: "I'm not sure whether Chelsea going out of the FA Cup will work for or against us. I'm sure they will just look to put it behind them.

"From our point of view, we took a lot of confidence from the first leg. We were a bit disappointed not to win the game but our confidence has really grown over the past month or two.

"The second leg might be a little bit different with Chelsea being at home. We know they might come straight at us from the off. They have some fantastic players but we are a good team and we've shown that of late."

Author: Chris Shaw (LFC Offal)

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/178831-we-have-the-quality-to-book-wembley-trip

Same team for me:

Could maybe swap Lallana for Stevie, but BR will not make him sit this one out.

And a repeat of this please:

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,241 posts | 2817 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: Chelsea v Liverpool 2nd Leg(1-1) Pre Match-League Cup 27th Jan SS1 19:45GMT
      Reply #1: Jan 26, 2015 07:49:08 pm
      We'll beat the cnuts

Balotelli to win it
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #2: Jan 26, 2015 08:08:33 pm
                                        Mignolet
                               Can     Skrtel    Sakho
                     Manquillo  Henderson Lucas  Moreno
                                   Gerrard  Coutinho
                                        Sterling

Ward; Johnson, Lovren; Allen, Lallana; Borini, Sturridge
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #3: Jan 26, 2015 08:42:17 pm
      Can't wait for this one and I think it'll be a great cup tie and a game we will remember.

I'm pretty confident of a win even though they have a great home record but I think if we go at them we can win it in normal time. Not sure if I'm just overly optimistic but I just cannot see us not reaching the final.

I think we should be at them from the start and pressing high which is the reason I've went for the side below and for me it's the best side we have right now until Danny gets back.

Mignolet

Can  Skrtel  Sakho

Markovic  Lucas  Henderson  Moreno

Lallana  Sterling  Coutinho
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,317 posts | 6380 
      Reply #4: Jan 26, 2015 09:08:16 pm
      I won't be able to watch this one as I'll be traveling for work tomorrow, hopefully get home to a good scoreline and a final at Wembley!
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #5: Jan 26, 2015 09:13:46 pm
      Can't wait for this one and I think it'll be a great cup tie and a game we will remember.

I'm pretty confident of a win even though they have a great home record but I think if we go at them we can win it in normal time. Not sure if I'm just overly optimistic but I just cannot see us not reaching the final.

I think we should be at them from the start and pressing high which is the reason I've went for the side below and for me it's the best side we have right now until Danny gets back.

Mignolet

Can  Skrtel  Sakho

I think Maureen will put out a side to stifle us and play on the counter. I expect Schurrle, Salah, and Remy to spearhead their attack. Everyone else will be tasked with defending their current advantage (through on away goals).

We should still be able to win it though as I doubt any of Hazard, Costa, Willian, Oscar, Fabregas, Matic, or Terry will feature. They will all be rested for the clash against City at the weekend.
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #6: Jan 26, 2015 09:20:28 pm
      I think Maureen will put out a side to stifle us and play on the counter. I expect Schurrle, Salah, and Remy to spearhead their attack. Everyone else will be tasked with defending their current advantage (through on away goals).

We should still be able to win it though as I doubt any of Hazard, Costa, Willian, Oscar, Fabregas, Matic, or Terry will feature. They will all be rested for the clash against City at the weekend.

Sorry, but I have to doubt this, although they will have an eye on the game against City, I can't see them resting this many for a game that could put them in the final. If they were to drop any I'd imagine possibly Costa for Drogba/Remy and Oscar/Fabregas for Ramires or Mikel

harrydunn08

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #7: Jan 26, 2015 09:27:41 pm
      Sorry, but I have to doubt this, although they will have an eye on the game against City, I can't see them resting this many for a game that could put them in the final. If they were to drop any I'd imagine possibly Costa for Drogba/Remy and Oscar/Fabregas for Ramires or Mikel

You may be right, but I think it'll be mostly a 2nd string side (which is still a pretty strong team). My guess is:

Courtois
      Asp - Ivanovic - Cahill - Luis
      Ramirez - Matic - Mikel
      Salah - Remy - Schurrle
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #8: Jan 26, 2015 09:32:10 pm
      I'm expecting a full-strength, highly motivated Chelsea side looking for some revenge after Saturday's embarrassment at home to Bradford. This won't be an easy at all, especially with a cup final place on the line.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #9: Jan 26, 2015 09:42:12 pm
      I'm expecting a full-strength, highly motivated Chelsea side looking for some revenge after Saturday's embarrassment at home to Bradford. This won't be an easy at all, especially with a cup final place on the line.

I second this.

It's gonna be a very difficult game to win and we really need to be at our absolute best and to have a bit of luck too.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #10: Jan 26, 2015 09:51:52 pm
      We have to score. If they score we still have to score. If they score 2 we have to score 2 etc. With City for them on the weekend I'd be surprised if they went for it. I think they will work on a manage the game type scenario. Keep passing so we don't have it and get a goal when necessary. My bet is extra time.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #11: Jan 26, 2015 09:55:46 pm
      Has the Anfield mole not leaked the team yet?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #12: Jan 26, 2015 10:10:09 pm
      Won't be easy but for some reason I fancy us to win this.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,281 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #13: Jan 26, 2015 10:43:47 pm
      Like BR said "It's a different game".This is going to be a much tougher game than it was at Anfield.They are gonna fire at us from all guns and its gonna be to us to fire back.It is going to be a really tough task to win that game without a real striker.Im hoping our defence will work good on that game,also the winger.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #14: Jan 26, 2015 11:13:10 pm
      Going to tw*t the chavvy cu*ts.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,352 posts | 2819 
      Reply #15: Jan 26, 2015 11:17:29 pm
      Lot of people were saying last week that Chelsea would rest players for the second leg and I disagreed then and even more so now when you look at their result at the weekend. They will be bang up for it so we will have to be on top of our game tomorrow to have a chance.

Mignolet

Can  Skrtel  Sakho

Perfect team for me too.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #16: Jan 26, 2015 11:25:56 pm
      Lot of people were saying last week that Chelsea would rest players for the second leg and I disagreed then and even more so now when you look at their result at the weekend. They will be bang up for it so we will have to be on top of our game tomorrow to have a chance.

Perfect team for me too.

I agree they will be right up for this one and I expect a full strength side from them but like I said I think the best chance we have is to go at them and play a high tempo game from the start.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Reply #17: Jan 26, 2015 11:49:57 pm
      Bring it on. They will name a full strength squad however will still be looking to stifle us - Mourinho has used the same tactic everytime he has faced free flowing football. This is what dreams are made of.

Sturridge to score in a 10 minute cameo to send us to Wembley.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #18: Jan 27, 2015 12:26:17 am
      Sorry to be pessimistic but I think we will lose 2-0 this one.

They will be back to full strength but loss in FA Cup means they would want this badly.

I hope I am 100% wrong on this one and will eat the proverbial hat if we win.
      « Last Edit: Jan 27, 2015 10:05:53 am by RobieSlick »
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #19: Jan 27, 2015 12:26:47 am
                                        Mignolet
                               Can     Skrtel    Sakho
                     Manquillo  Henderson Lucas  Moreno
                                   Gerrard  Coutinho
                                        Sterling

Ward; Johnson, Lovren; Allen, Lallana; Borini, Sturridge
      Markovič and Johnson instead of Manquillo and Moreno and thats the team I expect from Rodgers.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #20: Jan 27, 2015 12:44:26 am
      Our defence needs to hold strong and hope that Raheem and Coutinho's link up play will cause Terry and Cahill problems like it did at Anfield. Would love to see Sturridge on the bench even if it's just for the fear factor.

I will be doing my part as one of of the travelling Kop at Plastic Bridge...cant wait!
      harrydunn08

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #21: Jan 27, 2015 01:53:27 am

I just don't see it.  The League Cup surely ranks at the very bottom of Mou's priority list, while the Prem title and Champs League rank at the very top.  If they beat City on Saturday, then they basically have 1 hand on the Prem title.... but if they lose then its still anyone's to win.  I'm pretty sure that Mou will save his best players for the competition that he wants more, but we'll know for sure tomorrow....
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #22: Jan 27, 2015 03:18:22 am
      You may be right, but I think it'll be mostly a 2nd string side (which is still a pretty strong team). My guess is:

Courtois
      Asp - Ivanovic - Cahill - Luis
      Ramirez - Matic - Mikel
      Salah - Remy - Schurrle

Schurrle is heading to Wolfsburg, and there is no way Salah, Remy and Mikel are starting this after the so-called 'disgusting' performance. Maureen herself as said that they are one game away from a final. Expect a full-strength side.

Courtois; Azpi, Ivanovic, Terry, Luis; Matic, Cesc; Willian, Oscar, Hazard; Costa

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/11371055/Chelsea-v-Liverpool-Jose-Mourinho-recalls-big-guns-despite-looming-clash-with-Manchester-City.html

They would probably go 'bang' from the start, look to score a couple of goals and then bring on the substitutes
      « Last Edit: Jan 27, 2015 03:37:34 am by Vicks86 »

Quick Reply