Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D7 L8

Danny Ings (Burnley) - SIGNED BY LFC

Read 30346 times
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Re: Danny Ings (Burnley)
      Reply #46: Jan 30, 2015 12:27:15 pm
      On the spurs note; he has one less goal than Harry Kane and everyone is wanking over him.

Here are some "raw" stats (that is, they don't really inform us what type of player his, just his output per game);
      http://www.squawka.com/comparison-matrix#premier_league/2014/2015/saido_berahino/126/126/886/0/p|premier_league/2014/2015/harry_kane/126/126/856/0/p|premier_league/2014/2015/danny_ings/126/126/10302/0/p|premier_league/2014/2015/wilfried_bony/126/126/5574/46/p|premier_league/2014/2015/graziano_pellè/126/126/2869/0/p#goals_scored/goals_from_penalties/assists/chances_created#avg

He stacks up well to Bony and Kane, very well to Berahino and Pelle in terms of output. I have to make the the obligatory "Burnley are sh*te comment so he'll get more service here"

Lots of lovely positivity. Now for the bits which worry me;

He is quite shocking in the air, with only 19% of aerial duels won. And whilst he has a rather good conversion rate of 14%, he only has a shot accuracy rate of 38%.
      http://www.squawka.com/comparison-matrix#premier_league/2014/2015/saido_berahino/126/126/886/0/p|premier_league/2014/2015/harry_kane/126/126/856/0/p|premier_league/2014/2015/danny_ings/126/126/10302/0/p|premier_league/2014/2015/wilfried_bony/126/126/5574/46/p|premier_league/2014/2015/graziano_pellè/126/126/2869/0/p#total_passes/pass_completion/successful_take_ons_%/aerial_duels_won_%/shot_accuracy/total_shots#avg

So, there's good and bad. Also; Ings can only get better, can only get better....
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #47: Jan 30, 2015 12:29:59 pm
      Part of the deal is we loan the player back to Burnley for the rest of the season.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31054584
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #48: Jan 30, 2015 12:31:22 pm
      Next season we would have Sturridge, Origi, Ings and if by a miracle Balo comes good.

That's a pretty pacy front line.

All really depends on Sturridge staying fit and how quickly Origi finds his feet.

Ings as a third choice? Would be better than Borini and Lambert.

There are a few if's in there. Do you really think Balo will still be here? I effing hope not personally. Sturridge staying fit given his track record? Origi finding his feet? Well, that would be a start cause he sure as hell can't find the net. 6 goals in 40 appearances in a lesser competitive league and booed by his own fans.

What is it with Brendan and the committee when it comes to strikers? They're totally inept and incapable of addressing that area of the pitch in particular. 
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,808 posts | 2449 
      Reply #49: Jan 30, 2015 12:34:25 pm
      Next season we would have Sturridge, Origi, Ings and if by a miracle Balo comes good.

That's a pretty pacy front line.

All really depends on Sturridge staying fit and how quickly Origi finds his feet.

Ings as a third choice? Would be better than Borini and Lambert.

Ings is not very pacy just like Balotelli and Origi has been rubbish this season in an average league.

So once again it just leaves us with Sturridge.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #50: Jan 30, 2015 12:34:46 pm
      I'd quite like this to happen, I like him as a player and I think he fits how we play. 

He had a better than a goal every two games last season as a 21 year old in a team fighting for promotion and has a goal in three games this season, fighting against relegation.  Even if that's as good as he gets, thats not bad for a back up or second striker.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1640 
      Reply #51: Jan 30, 2015 12:44:36 pm
      One reason we're in for him and it's money (or a lack of it!).

Business on the cheap again!
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #52: Jan 30, 2015 12:44:40 pm
      I'd quite like this to happen, I like him as a player and I think he fits how we play. 

He had a better than a goal every two games last season as a 21 year old in a team fighting for promotion and has a goal in three games this season, fighting against relegation.  Even if that's as good as he gets, thats not bad for a back up or second striker.

Didn't Lambert score a lot for Southampton?

Performing the same way for a massive club with massive expectation isn't the same thing as knocking in a few goals for Burnley. It's the expectations and pressure that kill these type of players when they're asked to make such a huge jump up in quality.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #53: Jan 30, 2015 12:49:02 pm

Performing the same way for a massive club with massive expectation isn't the same thing as knocking in a few goals for Burnley. It's the expectations and pressure that kill these type of players when they're asked to make such a huge jump up in quality.

Very true, but Ings is more our type of player. Quick, strong dribbler and, as I posted above, the antithesis of a target man. Fits our style of play rather well.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #54: Jan 30, 2015 12:50:04 pm
      cant imagine him lining up against top European clubs we need names that sell shirts as the more money you make the better players you can buy, Aresnal should be how all clubs in the prem want to be run, they have not spend over the odds the stadium is almost paid for so they now have money in the bank to burn due to buying smart over the years. they might not have won loads but they've always had a CL team. If we continue to buy players of this standanard (name wise not ability) we will fall behind as top players will lose interest as they want to play alongside other world famous top players in CL
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,337 posts | 2816 
      Reply #55: Jan 30, 2015 12:50:12 pm
      Better than Balo, Lambert and Borini. There's obviously going to be a major reshuffle of our front line so if he's joined by another top striker then I wouldn't say no.

Sturridge, top striker, Origi and Ings doesn't sound too bad.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #56: Jan 30, 2015 12:52:16 pm
      Better than Balo, Lambert and Borini.

We don't know that until we see him in a Liverpool shirt, mate.

Does he look better than Borini did at Sunderland?
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #57: Jan 30, 2015 12:52:21 pm
      From what I've seen of Ings I quite like him.

Needs to be back-up striker though, him coming in to replace Lambert or Borini, I'm all for it. Him coming in as our number 2, we need to aim higher.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #58: Jan 30, 2015 12:53:15 pm

He certainly did mate but he's also 10 years older and unlikely to improve on those numbers, unlike Ings at 22.

Of course the expectations are higher in comparison but whether the player can handle it will only be decided once he's been given the chance.  I don't know if he can handle it anymore than I know he can't, same as everyone else.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #59: Jan 30, 2015 12:54:12 pm
      cant imagine him lining up against top European clubs we need names that sell shirts as the more money you make the better players you can buy, Aresnal should be how all clubs in the prem want to be run, they have not spend over the odds the stadium is almost paid for so they now have money in the bank to burn due to buying smart over the years. they might not have won loads but they've always had a CL team. If we continue to buy players of this standanard (name wise not ability) we will fall behind as top players will lose interest as they want to play alongside other world famous top players in CL

Mate, if Ings wins stuff with us, he would become famous and people would buy the shirt. That is truly the weirdest argument I've read in a long time.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #60: Jan 30, 2015 12:55:03 pm

We don't know that until we see him in a Liverpool shirt, mate.

Does he look better than Borini did at Sunderland?

Easily, yeah. Already scored more NPGs
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #61: Jan 30, 2015 12:56:37 pm

Of course the expectations are higher in comparison but whether the player can handle it will only be decided once he's been given the chance.  I don't know if he can handle it anymore than I know he can't, same as everyone else.

That's the way I see his signing, Debs, just another cheap punt.

When was the last time a British striker like Ings moved from a little club to one of the big 5 and was a success? The odds are clearly against these type of signings succeeding nowadays. 
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #62: Jan 30, 2015 12:58:18 pm

When was the last time a British striker like Ings moved from a little club to one of the big 5 and was a success? The odds are clearly against these type of signings succeeding nowadays. 

Rooney from Everton to the mancs  :f_whistle:
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,406 posts | 3404 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #63: Jan 30, 2015 01:02:36 pm
      I wonder if this forum existed when we signed a skinny unknown from Chester what the reaction would have been, for what it's worth still think he will do a delph
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #64: Jan 30, 2015 01:02:50 pm
      Rooney from Everton to the mancs  :f_whistle:

;D

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,217 posts | 4917 
      Reply #65: Jan 30, 2015 01:03:33 pm
      I quite like him but I'd like to think it isn't the height of our ambition both now and in the summer.

Get him in by all means but I'd want another top quality striker as well.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #66: Jan 30, 2015 01:03:39 pm

When was the last time we had a decent British striker in general? Barring our Studge obviously.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #67: Jan 30, 2015 01:05:30 pm
      When was the last time we had a decent British striker in general?

True, the level of British strikers has declined an awful lot.

lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #68: Jan 30, 2015 01:10:16 pm
      Good striker but not a Liverpool player. Probably an upgrade on Lambert, Borini and Balotelli, however that's not a just reason to sign anyone.

I'd gladly like him to prove me wrong but I feel he's an Everton level player, and not for us.

Quick Reply