Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

Raheem Sterling (Liverpool -> Man City)

Read 314242 times
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Raheem Sterling (Liverpool -> Man City)
      Feb 09, 2015 09:54:19 pm
      Noticed that this is spread about a few threads.

Think we can all agree that there is 'something' delaying this.

All sorts of rumours around such as his agent leaving the company he worked for to start his own with the contract getting signed when that's sorted, his Mum advising him and saying he has been overplayed and him not being happy with the terms.

Personally I'm not looking at his age as a barrier to wages or other player's salaries in comparison but more his worth to the team, potential years we'd have him for before being able to sell and get a decent fee in the long term and also the marketing side of it. When I think those things then I think he is worth £100k a week for sure - it's possible we've offered that, I don't know, but the rumoured deal is £70k.

Part of me does say he's being greedy as personally, I think he is way off a £100k a week player and I think he has still got a fair way to go before realising his potential but from his point of view he is an ever present now and no doubt worth way more than a Fabio Borini or Mario Balotelli who are both taking a tidy sum home every week whilst not even being guaranteed to be on the bench from one week to the next.

There's the London thing too. I think he was there until he was 16, he has family in London and the next contract he signs will determine where his little girl starts school which will also be a huge factor and rightly so as he'll want to keep her settled.

He is a huge talent so I just hope the club does it's utmost to keep him so his decision isn't money orientated. If the offer is lucrative enough and we do everything in our power to keep him but he just wants to leave for other reasons then so be it, we move on.
      « Last Edit: Jul 16, 2015 02:12:49 pm by JD »
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Re: The Raheem Sterling Contract Situation
      Reply #1: Feb 09, 2015 10:03:28 pm
      I tell you what it is, his agent trying to milk us.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #2: Feb 09, 2015 10:04:32 pm
      I tell you what it is, his agent trying to milk us.

That or Sterling wants to play for Real, Barca, Man City, Chelsea or Bayern.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #3: Feb 09, 2015 10:12:42 pm

I don't think he'll get more game time at any of these clubs in this moment than at us.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,175 posts | 4402 
      Reply #4: Feb 09, 2015 10:22:39 pm
      He's not worth the reported £100K a week he wants (not sure if it's true mind),

He is no doubt a talent but still has lots to learn, his decision making for a start is terrible and he has a powder puff shot.
      I don't like anyone holding the club to ransom be it Raheem or his agents, esp after we gave him his big break in his career by giving him a chance at 17.

By all accounts Harry Kane has just signed a new contract of £40K a week and he has bagged 22 goals this season, Raheem has 16 in two years!

I hope it's just his agent trying to milk the club.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #5: Feb 09, 2015 10:23:17 pm

If he wanted to play elsewhere why would he be negotiating a new deal with us?
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #6: Feb 09, 2015 10:25:11 pm
      The players of Raheem's age are usually very easily influenced by their agents. Rooney comes to my mind.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #7: Feb 09, 2015 10:28:36 pm
      He is entitled to ask whatever he thinks he is worth but if he makes a big money move to another club will he his game develop the way it has under Brendan?
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #8: Feb 09, 2015 10:31:24 pm
      He could be offered alot of money from clubs like PSG, City, Real among those mentioned ...

From what i've heard, Odegaard, is on 80k pounds / week at Real Madrid , really astonishing if it's true. Imagine if they offer Sterling 200k/week ...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/real-madrid/11364503/Real-Madrid-have-set-Martin-Odegaard-up-for-failure-with-80000-a-week-contract.html

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/pitchside-europe/martin-odegaard-s-salary-has-caused--anger--among-players-at-real-madrid-094742608.html

Hopefully he'll put to bed this rumours by signing a new deal in the coming days.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,210 posts | 4912 
      Reply #9: Feb 09, 2015 10:36:51 pm
      He's not worth the reported £100K a week he wants (not sure if it's true mind),

If one or more other clubs are willing to pay it then it could be argued he is worth it.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,190 posts | 1271 
      Reply #10: Feb 09, 2015 10:41:33 pm
      Too much too young. And he hasn't exactly shown his maturity off the field has he? Nor has he shown the consistency on it.

Greed is all you need for these prima donnas.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,175 posts | 4402 
      Reply #11: Feb 09, 2015 10:50:37 pm
      If one or more other clubs are willing to pay it then it could be argued he is worth it.

If he is only in it for the money then maybe it's best he moves to Real or Barca and sits on the bench most of the time.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,210 posts | 4912 
      Reply #12: Feb 09, 2015 10:53:45 pm
      If he is only in it for the money then maybe it's best he moves to Real or Barca and sits on the bench most of the time.

Maybe.

But where does that benefit us then?

There is no right or wrong answer I feel as the money is obscene nowadays but the fact is he is potentially one of our most important players in the next 5 years so is it worth risking losing him to another club who will pay what he wants?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,175 posts | 4402 
      Reply #13: Feb 09, 2015 10:59:35 pm
      Maybe.

But where does that benefit us then?

There is no right or wrong answer I feel as the money is obscene nowadays but the fact is he is potentially one of our most important players in the next 5 years so is it worth risking losing him to another club who will pay what he wants?

Where does it end mate assuming he is holding out for £100k, in a couple of years when he is 23-24 will he want £175k and so on.

Put it this way I have no problem him getting what he is worth, he is not a £100k a week player yet. Maybe he can have a clause to look at his contract on a regular basis and if he is banging in 20 goals a season sure give him even more.

Playing with Suarez last year laying goals on a plate for him seems to have given him illusions of grandeur.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #14: Feb 09, 2015 11:00:26 pm
      I'm not stressed. His last contract took ages as well. He is clearly willing to sign if the price is right and the club want him, it will just take a while. Fortunately with 2.5 years on his contract, we have time.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #15: Feb 09, 2015 11:07:38 pm
      I'm not stressed. His last contract took ages as well. He is clearly willing to sign if the price is right and the club want him, it will just take a while. Fortunately with 2.5 years on his contract, we have time.

^^^This ^^^
      RedWilly

• 9,194 posts | 1637 
      Reply #16: Feb 09, 2015 11:12:25 pm
      I don't know why people care about what a player gets paid? What's the difference to the average person, the wages are obscene and are only going to keep rising.

He's the best young player in Europe and will be the star of our team for years to come, give him what he wants and stop fannying around.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,603 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #17: Feb 09, 2015 11:31:33 pm
      So, FSG, are you willing to let Sterling go to keep the wagebill structure as it is or are you going to pay the boy what he wants and deal with the rest of the spine of the team looking for similar wage increases.

FSG have just about got the wage bill where they wanted and it's about to be torn apart.
      Must be a nightmare. :D
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #18: Feb 09, 2015 11:39:32 pm
      So, FSG, are you willing to let Sterling go to keep the wagebill structure as it is or are you going to pay the boy what he wants and deal with the rest of the spine of the team looking for similar wage increases.

FSG have just about got the wage bill where they wanted and it's about to be torn apart.
      Must be a nightmare. :D

Depends on what he wants...75-90k week sure....more than studge, they are not going to do it, if Raheem wants 125k/week then they will sit on his contract and wait for Barca to come calling with a 75 million buy out or something.

Kid should get paid, no argument here but if his people are asking him to be the top paid player at LFC that might be asking too much.

Unless we know what both sides want everything is just speculation.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,603 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #19: Feb 09, 2015 11:44:40 pm
      Depends on what he wants...75-90k week sure....more than studge, they are not going to do it, if Raheem wants 125k/week then they will sit on his contract and wait for Barca to come calling with a 75 million buy out or something.

Kid should get paid, no argument here but if his people are asking him to be the top paid player at LFC that might be asking too much.

Unless we know what both sides want everything is just speculation.

Only problem with that is they'll need him on bigger wages to get more out of other clubs.
      Like the Suarez "deal" before he got shipped out in the Summer.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #20: Feb 09, 2015 11:48:08 pm
      Only problem with that is they'll need him on bigger wages to get more out of other clubs.
      Like the Suarez "deal" before he got shipped out in the Summer.

Well rest-assured they wont let the inmates run the asylum....like i said without know what each side wants everything is speculation.

People say "Who cares what the club pays" well I don't but I am sure that if we paid Raheem 125k/week that Couts would get pissed off...and so would a lot of other players...so in a way it does matter.

+/- 5k/week using the Coutinho contract as a base should be what he makes in my opinion, as to me Couts is just as important if not more important to the clubs future as Raheem is.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,603 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #21: Feb 09, 2015 11:52:11 pm
      Well rest-assured they wont let the inmates run the asylum....like i said without know what each side wants everything is speculation.

People say "Who cares what the club pays" well I don't but I am sure that if we paid Raheem 125k/week that Couts would get pissed off...and so would a lot of other players...so in a way it does matter.

+/- 5k/week using the Coutinho contract as a base should be what he makes in my opinion, as to me Couts is just as important if not more important to the clubs future as Raheem is.

I'm just going to fully commit to the following theory.
      Having refused to compete for elite signings,
      we are also focused inward on refusing to pay
      our own players above a certain structure.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #22: Feb 09, 2015 11:59:18 pm
      I'm just going to fully commit to the following theory.
      Having refused to compete for elite signings,
      we are also focused inward on refusing to pay
      our own players above a certain structure.

I would agree that there is a wage cap/wage structure in place.

Without a doubt

Quick Reply