Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

Raheem Sterling (Liverpool -> Man City)

Read 314218 times
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Re: The Raheem Sterling Contract Situation
      Reply #23: Feb 09, 2015 11:59:37 pm
      If he hasn't signed by the end of season then sell him on or else we'll get nowt for him . we can't let him leave for free .
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #24: Feb 10, 2015 12:05:48 am
      Kid should get paid, no argument here but if his people are asking him to be the top paid player at LFC that might be asking too much.
      That's what happens when they treat him like his special . He has bags of talent if he applied himself properly . His decision making is lousy at times and he's a greedy little f**ker too .

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #25: Feb 10, 2015 12:31:31 am
      He could be offered alot of money from clubs like PSG, City, Real among those mentioned ...

From what i've heard, Odegaard, is on 80k pounds / week at Real Madrid , really astonishing if it's true. Imagine if they offer Sterling 200k/week ...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/real-madrid/11364503/Real-Madrid-have-set-Martin-Odegaard-up-for-failure-with-80000-a-week-contract.html

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/pitchside-europe/martin-odegaard-s-salary-has-caused--anger--among-players-at-real-madrid-094742608.html

Hopefully he'll put to bed this rumours by signing a new deal in the coming days.

He wouldn't be an automatic starter though. In fact I find it difficult to believe he'd be an automatic starter at any club that was a significant step up from us (in terms of league positions). Would he start ahead of Silva at City, or Oscar or Hazard at Chelsea, for example? I doubt it. It would be hard to believe he would leave the club at this stage of his development and go to a club where he's not a guaranteed first team player. I can see him going in two or three years or so if he establishes himself firmly as one of Europe's top players but not now. He has too much to loose right now.

The one thing that would bother me though, would make me believe he was a greedy little sh*t would be if his wage demands where to be the highest paid player at the club. If we take the chart from the other thread as gospel, if he was paid the reported £100K a week he's been offered, when Gerrard leaves at the end of the season, a completely unproven player who has achieved nothing so far in his career would become our highest paid player. It's not the amount he's paid, simply the amount in relation to other players. That said, once Gerrard leaves, who in our current squad has actually achieved anything of note in their career - and no, the league cup doesn't count?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #26: Feb 10, 2015 01:19:41 am
      If he hasn't signed by the end of season then sell him on or else we'll get nowt for him . we can't let him leave for free .

Why sell him? He'll have 2 years left, we don't have to sell.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #27: Feb 10, 2015 03:50:44 am
      Sterling is one of the best young players in Europe and one of the best 20 players in the Premier League. We aren't capable of signing world class players so it's imperative we secure Sterling's services.

Get it done.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #28: Feb 10, 2015 05:21:44 am
      Put it this way, if we sell him, are we likely to bring a suitable replacement? Not on the evidence so far. If we were to let him go, it we would be showing a small club mentality.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #29: Feb 10, 2015 05:33:54 am
      He'll sign it.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #30: Feb 10, 2015 05:40:44 am
      If one or more other clubs are willing to pay it then it could be argued he is worth it.
      Exactly.

If he's not "worth it" to the "money men", who run our club, then I'm sure they'll cash in and we can always go looking for a easier paid model (or two, or three), young and with potential who will maybe fill the void in two or three years.

I must admit - I like the whole... 'listen son, I'm doing you a favour by not paying you more, at your age - when you think about it, it's for your own good' school of negotiation... it's something I tried with my kids when they were young.  :D

I'm just not sure it'll work on a hairy-arsed, millionaire adult, with a kid of his own and the best financial advisers on tap.  :-\
      « Last Edit: Feb 10, 2015 05:54:15 am by bad boy bubby »
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #31: Feb 10, 2015 06:01:10 am
      Pay him 250-300k/week same...that should get the deal sealed, who cares what we pay him he's worth it and we don't want to be known as a small minded club...so lets pay-up!

Put him right there with

Rooney
      Messi
      Ronaldo
      Falcao

Would put him above
      Augero
      Fabregas
      Yaya
      Suarez
      Silva
      Hazard

He is worth it right? at least as good as Yaya Toure and Augero  :confused-smiley-013:
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #32: Feb 10, 2015 06:09:31 am
      Loving the sarcasm and the use of absurdity iI doubt that he is really looking £250k - £300k per week] to prove a point but... I'm curious: what do you, A-Zed, believe he's really worth and how do you come to that figure?

How much would you pay him and why?  :confused-smiley-013:
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #33: Feb 10, 2015 06:11:49 am
      Loving the sarcasm and the use of absurdity iI doubt that he is really looking £250k - £300k per week] to prove a point but... I'm curious: what do you, A-Zed, believe he's really worth and how do you come to that figure?

How much would you pay him and why?  :confused-smiley-013:

I would pay him plus or minus 5k/week based off of Coutinho's new contract...to me Phillipe is a more important player than Raheem...so the bar was set with that deal.

I used absurdity and sarcasm to those who say pay him whatever he wants its does not matter and its not our money.

It does matter, it would matter to Couts who just signed a new contract...it would matter to Henderson that needs to sign a new one.

Pay him 75-85k a week,  by all means give him a raise...if he does well have no worry his agents will be re-negotiating in a years time.
      « Last Edit: Feb 10, 2015 06:34:51 am by AZPatriot »
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,919 posts | 4985 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #34: Feb 10, 2015 06:41:52 am
      If Sturridge is on the highest apart from Ste that's what we should offer Raheem or just slightly under,
      If indeed there exists a wage cap then that cap has to be awarded to our best players,
      Coutinho has signed a five year deal , within that five years he'll more than likely be offered an extension say in 3-4 yrs, by then we might be in a better position to offer more and extend that wage cap ,
      Agree with AZ in that Raheem be offered a similar five year deal but with a slightly higher wage but under that of Sturridge,

I doubt players compare each other's contract , it sounds absurd that player A would complain about player B if his contract was better , if players A & B are happy and signed their own contract why indeed moan about what anyone else's,

I might be talking sh*te but so to can everyone else because no one knows exactly what's on offer,
      But whatever it is I would hope a buy out clause is installed within the deal to protect us from being gazumped, £80m minimum.

YNWA
      liamos
      • Forum Youth Player

• 12 posts |
      Reply #35: Feb 10, 2015 06:57:36 am
      If Sturridge is on the highest apart from Ste that's what we should offer Raheem or just slightly under,
      If indeed there exists a wage cap then that cap has to be awarded to our best players,
      Coutinho has signed a five year deal , within that five years he'll more than likely be offered an extension say in 3-4 yrs, by then we might be in a better position to offer more and extend that wage cap ,
      Agree with AZ in that Raheem be offered a similar five year deal but with a slightly higher wage but under that of Sturridge,

I doubt players compare each other's contract , it sounds absurd that player A would complain about player B if his contract was better , if players A & B are happy and signed their own contract why indeed moan about what anyone else's,

I might be talking sh*te but so to can everyone else because no one knows exactly what's on offer,
      But whatever it is I would hope a buy out clause is installed within the deal to protect us from being gazumped, £80m minimum.

YNWA

I think its very probable that players do compare each other contracts. If Coutinho is being paid more than Sterling, Sterling is going to look at that and say I should be earning the same if not more.

But I do agree with you, a proper buy out clause must be inserted in his new contract.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,174 posts | 4402 
      Reply #36: Feb 10, 2015 08:38:33 am
      If Coutinho is now on alleged £70K a week then thats the ball figure for Raheem, for a player with a modest return of goals and assists.

His agent seems to be hard balling us over projected talent rather where exactly he sits at the moment.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #37: Feb 10, 2015 09:52:03 am
      If Coutinho is now on alleged £70K a week then thats the ball figure for Raheem, for a player with a modest return of goals and assists. His agent seems to be hard balling us over projected talent rather where exactly he sits at the moment.

But, projected talent should be taken into account and it's quite obvious Sterling is a superstar in the making.

However, I do believe the agent is causing a lot of mischief. If the manager has to publicly ask him not to be greedy, I'd say there are a few mind games going on, most likely Sterling wants to stay and BR is telling his agent to go f*** himself.

Having said all that, we have to look at what other top earners are getting and compare whether Sterling is worth it. Apart from Stevie, Studge is on 80, Couts on 70 and Lallana on 75. Coutinho to me is more important to the team than Sterling, and provided Studge gets back to form, his goals are more influential, but we want Sterling on a 5 year contract to get the most out of him. 70-80k is what he's worth.

Some have suggested that if other teams are willing to offer more, than that's what he's worth - perhaps, perhaps not, but he's an idiot if he just goes for the highest bidder. People best at their job don't necessarily go for the best paid job (I took a pay cut myself to leave a company I hated and got a better job, so I'm happier and developing more). Sterling has creativity and pace around him with a manager playing a brand of football that suits his own style. Carra got it spot on when he said Sterling should not leave for at least another 4 or 5 years if he's thinking about playing elsewhere because he will develop far more and be much better equipped to shine elsewhere. It's not always about money and I will disagree with anyone who argues otherwise.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,286 posts | 763 
      Reply #38: Feb 10, 2015 10:01:01 am
      I think the agents are the root cause, of player's contract problems tbh. I am sure Raheem is happy to stay at the club, and it is the player who should really have the final decision rather than the agent.
      raymondo92
      • Forum Youth Player

• 23 posts |
      Reply #39: Feb 10, 2015 10:21:47 am
      Would it really be that bad if we sold Sterling in the summer, if we put the money to good use for once, we then have the likes of Ibe, Ojo, Wilson, Sinclair and Kent all very talented attacking players with a place in the squad to fight for.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #40: Feb 10, 2015 10:32:06 am
      We seem to have a real conundrum on our hands with this "wage policy" our owners/board/manager/transfer committee have put in place as in the real world it's not really viable.

On the one hand we won't/can't compete with other Clubs when it comes to the wages offered to new recruits, so to overcome that we buy young players with potential who won't demand crazy wages at first but have promises in place that this will be reviewed after a couple of years.  Yet when those players start to reach the level required to help us compete, we still won't pay them their worth?

As far as I'm aware Studge's new contract took him to £150k pw, our highest paid player and Cou's new contract takes him to £70k pw so around the same as Lallana, Lovren, Henderson, Skrtel and Lucas but still less than Balo and Stevie.  Going off that logic is Raheem not worth somewhere in between?

Now I hear the arguments of where will it end, he's only 20, he's still got a lot to learn, he's not done anything yet, pay him, don't pay him and all of them are valid but so are his arguments.

Look at it from his point of view.  He came into the first team as a precocious teenager, with bags of raw talent and gradually forced his way into the starting lineup.  At 19 he'd become a vital player in a title challenging team, has become a regular full International, starting games in the WC and more recently has been deployed as a striker for a Club who despite spending in excess of £120m on new players and having 5 strikers on the books, he was the go to player to score some goals.  Incidentally, for those saying he doesn't score enough, since he was moved to striker he's been scoring at a 1 in 2 ratio or for perspective, the same rate as Studge was scoring at last season.

Of course he's not the finished article, he's 20 for heavens sake but he's not asking for the very top wages that the likes of Messi, or Neymar, or Ronaldo earn, he's not even asking for anything like Studge is on as he knows there's plenty of time to earn that kind of money.  If he was determined to get that kind of money he wouldn't be negotiating with us, he'd already be negotiating a move away in the summer.

So back to the conundrum, if we're going to bring in the best young talent there is, on low wages, so we can develop them into top class players, so we can challenge for major honours and win stuff then pay them for being top class players who challenge for major honours and win stuff.

Of course the alternative is we sell him whilst his current deal has some value, replace him with Ibe and start the last 2 years process all over again.  I'm sure most on here would be apoplectic if we became a feeder club to those Clubs we should be competing against.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #41: Feb 10, 2015 11:13:18 am
      As far as I'm aware Studge's new contract took him to £150k pw

I did not know that mate, thought he was still on 80k. If Studge is on 150k, then Sterling is worth 100k and Couts ihas been undervalued. If the hold up to the contractr is difference between paying him 70/80k and 100k, then we're being naive.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #42: Feb 10, 2015 11:18:04 am
      I did not know that mate, thought he was still on 80k. If Studge is on 150k, then Sterling is worth 100k and Couts ihas been undervalued. If the hold up to the contractr is difference between paying him 70/80k and 100k, then we're being naive.

He signed a new deal in September mate, just before he broke down for the 2nd time and I agree Raheem has to be worth somewhere in between Studge and Cou. 
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #43: Feb 10, 2015 11:18:45 am
      I would pay him plus or minus 5k/week based off of Coutinho's new contract...to me Phillipe is a more important player than Raheem...so the bar was set with that deal.
      If you believe that's all Coutinho is worth then fair enough mate.

Personally I believe, should we have to replace him with better (obviously) it would take a player who commands more than £70k a week. Should he have asked for more (knowing what I know about football), I would have said give it to him... The same, naturally enough, goes for Raheem - who, like Phil, is top quality imo.

I used absurdity and sarcasm to those who say pay him whatever he wants its does not matter and its not our money.
      Well that's probably down to the raw passion of the football fan who, maybe, isn't just as in touch with their inner accountant as you A-zed but...

As we don't actually know how much he wants (it might be as little as an extra £5k on what's been offered) maybe the absurdity of you 'argument' was ott.

I mean, maybe you are in danger of leading  yourself to believe that people are more stupid than they really are.

Take me, for e.g. - thick as sh*t as I am, even I know there's a tipping point where to opportunity cost of paying Raheem an absurd wage exceeds his worth. A point, at which, we could afford better - guess what: I reckon most of us football fans already knew that.

One more quick question - how much would you sell Raheem for, should things go tits up?

JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #44: Feb 10, 2015 11:23:43 am
      If he wanted to play elsewhere why would he be negotiating a new deal with us?

In the big scheme of things these contracts seem to mean F**k all when it comes to moving on... it just puts any transfer price up or down depending duration left on it
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #45: Feb 10, 2015 11:27:55 am
      AN HONEST QUESTION:

Is it worth locking him in to a new deal for him to develop into a better player for us or for his sell on value?

Quick Reply