Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

Raheem Sterling (Liverpool -> Man City)

Read 314229 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Re: The Raheem Sterling Contract Situation
      Reply #46: Feb 10, 2015 11:39:49 am
      In the big scheme of things these contracts seem to mean F**k all when it comes to moving on... it just puts any transfer price up or down depending duration left on it

I agree that contracts can be used in this way but that's from the Clubs pov rather than the player.  We did that with Luis in an effort to keep him here but also to protect ourselves and his value.

With Raheem though it's different, he could go to any of the big Clubs in Europe as he's not going to command the kind of fees Luis did but he can command very high wages.  My point being if it's Raheem/his agent being greedy why is he still negotiating with us as he must know there's plenty of Clubs out there who would meet his demands.  It's not like he's asking for £200k pw.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,423 posts | 4581 
      Reply #47: Feb 10, 2015 11:48:08 am
      All about the Roubles.

Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #48: Feb 10, 2015 11:50:11 am
      Interesting one - not sure why the boss is talking to the press about his contract, that makes no sense to me...

From what I have heard / gleamed from the internet is that the delay is not from Sterlings end but his agents. Apparently (for what its worth) Robert Segal is looking to set up his own business away from Impact Sports Management. However, he wants to showcase Sterling as his first big 'contract' so that he can look great, and he of course wants the payment to go to his new company, not ISM.

Honestly, they should get shot of agents IMO. They are a total disease on the game, I have no idea what they add to anything... I also believe there should be a wage cap in the premiership at £40,000 per week. That way the agents can actually earn money by working at generating more income through sponsorship, which will only be possible if the players are good. 
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #49: Feb 10, 2015 12:11:27 pm
      I don't know why people care about what a player gets paid? What's the difference to the average person, the wages are obscene and are only going to keep rising.

He's the best young player in Europe and will be the star of our team for years to come, give him what he wants and stop fannying around.

Why not stop fannying about and offer him 400k a week?

Then we can offer to pay the new defensive midfielder we need in milk bottle tops - I'm sure we will attract a good one on those terms,
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #50: Feb 10, 2015 12:12:48 pm
      its a joke if its his agent then sterling needs a new one as world football are looking at him thinking he wants out of liverpool for more money at the age of 20!! fans around the world will think he's big headed and a greedy money motivated player. coutiho signed new deal as is just as important sterling is not more or less important so what ever deal Coutiho is on sterling should be matched not on more.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #51: Feb 10, 2015 12:23:46 pm
      From a different perspective, if his agent believes he's hit the gravy train having Raheem on his books we still have one trump card up our sleeve, send him back to the Academy then see how much he's worth wages wise when he's no longer lighting up the PL.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,174 posts | 4402 
      Reply #52: Feb 10, 2015 12:25:21 pm
      Stevie probably needs to have a word with Raheem to counteract his snake agents poison. Tell him showing loyalty you can still reach the pinnacle of the game and the rewards will follow. Rather than chasing the gold pot.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #53: Feb 10, 2015 12:26:17 pm
      From a different perspective, if his agent believes he's hit the gravy train having Raheem on his books we still have one trump card up our sleeve, send him back to the Academy then see how much he's worth wages wise when he's no longer lighting up the PL.

If his agent is the problem, we want him on our side Debs. Dropping Raheem won't do us any favours.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #54: Feb 10, 2015 12:30:40 pm
      If his agent is the problem, we want him on our side Debs. Dropping Raheem won't do us any favours.

Neither will losing him completely mate, which is what quite a few are implying by saying he's being greedy or not worth what he's asking for.

Ah well there goes our possible replacement in Reus, he's just extended his contract till 2019.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #55: Feb 10, 2015 12:31:10 pm
      Don't think it's any coincidence that Ibe has been recalled from his loan.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,170 posts | 4904 
      Reply #56: Feb 10, 2015 12:33:53 pm
      I would pay him plus or minus 5k/week based off of Coutinho's new contract...to me Phillipe is a more important player than Raheem...so the bar was set with that deal.

I used absurdity and sarcasm to those who say pay him whatever he wants its does not matter and its not our money.

It does matter, it would matter to Couts who just signed a new contract...it would matter to Henderson that needs to sign a new one.

Pay him 75-85k a week,  by all means give him a raise...if he does well have no worry his agents will be re-negotiating in a years time.

I'm not sure many said offer him whatever he wants, maybe not 100% seriously anyway, but many have said offer him what he could get and will get if he was to look a move AZ.

Big difference.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #57: Feb 10, 2015 12:35:47 pm
      I agree that contracts can be used in this way but that's from the Clubs pov rather than the player.  We did that with Luis in an effort to keep him here but also to protect ourselves and his value.

With Raheem though it's different, he could go to any of the big Clubs in Europe as he's not going to command the kind of fees Luis did but he can command very high wages.  My point being if it's Raheem/his agent being greedy why is he still negotiating with us as he must know there's plenty of Clubs out there who would meet his demands.  It's not like he's asking for £200k pw.

Totally agree... it reaks of agent greed!!

KING ROBBIE 9
      • Forum David Johnson

• 243 posts |
      Reply #58: Feb 10, 2015 12:37:39 pm
      Would it really be that bad if we sold Sterling in the summer, if we put the money to good use for once, we then have the likes of Ibe, Ojo, Wilson, Sinclair and Kent all very talented attacking players with a place in the squad to fight for.

Wow really? I'm amazed a Liverpool supporter would think this? On his day Sterling is one of the best attacking players on the planet (IMO)

Should we sell him? Definitely not...should we pay his or his agents demands? definitely not but we should at least meet in the middle to keep him at the club as he is only going to get better.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #59: Feb 10, 2015 12:38:44 pm
      Neither will losing him completely mate, which is what quite a few are implying by saying he's being greedy or not worth what he's asking for.

Ah well there goes our possible replacement in Reus, he's just extended his contract till 2019.

Tricky situation. Hopefully the new deal is sorted before soon.

At least it isn't affecting the team right now.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #60: Feb 10, 2015 12:43:49 pm
      In the big scheme of things these contracts seem to mean F**k all when it comes to moving on... it just puts any transfer price up or down depending duration left on it.

No better example than the Suarez debacle last season.
      He was promised big money the following season and quality signings to bolster our one man strike force.
      He didn't test the veracity of the monetary pledge but the credibility of the additional front man promise it appears was bollox, throwing doubt on the viability of the pay rise promise and giving rise to the claim it was all a ploy to hold the Suarez market price.

The conduct of JWH & Co only substantiates the above assertions.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #61: Feb 10, 2015 12:45:35 pm
      Tricky situation. Hopefully the new deal is sorted before soon.

At least it isn't affecting the team right now.

I was unconcerned about the situation till yesterday mate as I believed the "problem" was due to his agent, Aidy Ward, leaving Impact Sports to set up his own agency and the dispute was between IS and Ward as to who gets the fee.  After hearing Brendan in his PC yesterday now I'm not so sure it's that's simple.

As you say though mate, it's not effecting the team or Raheem so hopefully it's mainly media bollocks and it'll be sorted soon.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #62: Feb 10, 2015 12:50:56 pm
      Interesting one - not sure why the boss is talking to the press about his contract, that makes no sense to me...

From what I have heard / gleamed from the internet is that the delay is not from Sterlings end but his agents. Apparently (for what its worth) Robert Segal is looking to set up his own business away from Impact Sports Management. However, he wants to showcase Sterling as his first big 'contract' so that he can look great, and he of course wants the payment to go to his new company, not ISM.

Honestly, they should get shot of agents IMO. They are a total disease on the game, I have no idea what they add to anything... I also believe there should be a wage cap in the premiership at £40,000 per week. That way the agents can actually earn money by working at generating more income through sponsorship, which will only be possible if the players are good.

I thought I read somewhere that Aidy Ward was his agent. He's also the agent of Berahino. Sterling must be sick of Brendans line of getting too much too young seeing as he used it the last time around too.

I think he's got a brilliant rapport with Studge and Ibe and hopefully that will go some way in suading him to stay.

Whilst I'm mentioning Ibe, could it be possible that after showing great promise and potential in his last match that Ibe is being subliminally used by Brendan as a bargaining tool? It just seems a bit of a coincidence that Brendan has come out so defensively and publicly with regards to Raheem's contract after all the rave media reports with regards to Ibe. Perhaps being a message to Raheem and his agent that if he doesn't accept and sign what he's being offered then there's already a player that could potentially take his spot anyways! 
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #63: Feb 10, 2015 12:59:34 pm
      I thought I read somewhere that Aidy Ward was his agent. He's also the agent of Berahino. Sterling must be sick of Brendans line of getting too much too young seeing as he used it the last time around too.

I think he's got a brilliant rapport with Studge and Ibe and hopefully that will go some way in suading him to stay.

Whilst I'm mentioning Ibe, could it be possible that after showing great promise and potential in his last match that Ibe is being subliminally used by Brendan as a bargaining tool? It just seems a bit of a coincidence that Brendan has come out so defensively and publicly with regards to Raheem's contract after all the rave media reports with regards to Ibe. Perhaps being a message to Raheem and his agent that if he doesn't accept and sign what he's being offered then there's already a player that could potentially take his spot anyways! 

Seems to me his agent is wanting to start off his own agency with a splash.  Both his young startlets agitating for a move or big wages, thankfully both Managers have responded with the same message, you've achieved nothing yet and have a long way to go before you have.
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #64: Feb 10, 2015 12:59:49 pm
      He's out of tonight's match against Spurs apparently
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #65: Feb 10, 2015 01:02:03 pm
      Would it really be that bad if we sold Sterling in the summer, if we put the money to good use for once,

You mean like the Suarez deal?
      It appears JWH & Co will only use LFC's money on what they consider a reasonable deal.
      This seems the case as well with the profit obtained from a very shrewd piece of business by a former manager who they sacked.
      The shrewd piece of business was not evident in the Suarez ''replacement''.

redraider
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts | 20 
      Reply #66: Feb 10, 2015 01:41:58 pm
      I don't know what to make of it but media reports suggest he's been dropped because of a refusal to sign.  I'm just quoting what it says on LFCNewsnow, but its worrying.  We need to secure our best players but not to yield to extortion.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #67: Feb 10, 2015 01:42:09 pm
      Seems to me his agent is wanting to start off his own agency with a splash.  Both his young startlets agitating for a move or big wages, thankfully both Managers have responded with the same message, you've achieved nothing yet and have a long way to go before you have.

The man himself along with another of his clients. Oxlade-Chamberlain reputedly earns £65k/w according to http://www.tsmplug.com/football/arsenal-players-salary-list-2014/. Wilshere on 90k/w :o
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,185 posts | 1636 
      Reply #68: Feb 10, 2015 01:49:31 pm
      Why not stop fannying about and offer him 400k a week?

Then we can offer to pay the new defensive midfielder we need in milk bottle tops - I'm sure we will attract a good one on those terms,

Here we go again, belittle anyone who doesn't see the world your way...

We made him the star of our team by placing our hopes on him, but we aren't willing to back it up with the wages a star man deserves. Easily a £100k player.

Makes me laugh all the transfer policy though of 'buy young potential' but when a youngster looks like fulfilling that potential we aren't willing to pay him accordingly...

Quick Reply