Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Different football codes

Read 15658 times
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Different football codes
      Feb 10, 2015 11:53:13 am
      The more I read about the history of football, the more I become interested in the multiple codes of the game that were developed in different places and time periods. Association Football (soccer) will always be my favorite sport, but I've really become a fan of Rugby Union in recent years and also Rugby League (which I had the chance of watching live in St Helens with JD, the last time I was in England).

Unfortunately, rugby league isn't televised here so I simply follow the results occasionally (and recently watched the 2014 Grand Final, which St Helens won, on youtube ;D). As for rugby union, I watch the international competitions (six nations, rugby championship, world cup) but would love to follow Munster Rugby - my adopted side - on a regular basis. Only the English premiership is televised here though.

In Brazil, people pretty much only care about Association Football (soccer), although rugby has a bit of an amateur tradition here, and American Football is fastly growing in popularity and, as a result, in playing numbers as well.

I do watch the NFL but I'm not a huge fan. In terms of American sports, the one that really caught my attention was baseball so in comparison the NFL simply doesn't look as fun to me (I know it may sound quite crazy to some).

Well, anyway - the point of this thread was just to discuss the different football codes and people's views on them.

It amazes me to know that there are codes still entirely unknown to me - such as Gaelic football or Australian rules - and I do hope to at least once watch a game live of each of these sports (my notions of tourism are often directly linked to sporting experiences).

So, which codes do you like best (after Association Football, of course)?
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Re: Different football codes
      Reply #1: Feb 13, 2015 11:58:52 am
      Recently found a resource that posts rugby league games to watch on demand (and occasionally live streaming as well) - all it takes is a £5.50 donation: http://www.prlforums.com/

So now I've just found one more sport to watch. My days should be 60 hours long for me to do and watch everything I want.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #2: Feb 13, 2015 06:21:25 pm
      I grew up with the NFL (American Football) but lived with some "soccer" players in college and starting watching the game then. My interest steadily grew and when my oldest son was around 4 he wanted to play and I volunteered to coach his team so that's when I really got heavily into it.

I'd say at this point, I don't know if the NFL is my favorite, but it's like that old friend that you've known forever.....but I really do love LFC and watching soccer in almost all of it's forms. There are actually aspects of each that I think would play well with each other. For instance, the NFL should use the Relegation/Promotion aspect from soccer, I think it would make things more exciting and meaningful for the "bad" teams. And I wish soccer would somehow enforce a salary cap (not sure how that would even work admittedly) and also start allowing for coaches to "challenge" bad calls (using instant replay to verify) during the game. The NFL allows coaches 2 challenges per game and a third if you win both of your challenges.

Soccer's adopted goal line technology so I'm not sure why they could't institute a fair and effecient replay system to ensure that on scoring plays, the right call was made.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #3: Feb 15, 2015 01:53:42 pm
      I grew up with the NFL (American Football) but lived with some "soccer" players in college and starting watching the game then. My interest steadily grew and when my oldest son was around 4 he wanted to play and I volunteered to coach his team so that's when I really got heavily into it.

I'd say at this point, I don't know if the NFL is my favorite, but it's like that old friend that you've known forever.....but I really do love LFC and watching soccer in almost all of it's forms. There are actually aspects of each that I think would play well with each other. For instance, the NFL should use the Relegation/Promotion aspect from soccer, I think it would make things more exciting and meaningful for the "bad" teams. And I wish soccer would somehow enforce a salary cap (not sure how that would even work admittedly) and also start allowing for coaches to "challenge" bad calls (using instant replay to verify) during the game. The NFL allows coaches 2 challenges per game and a third if you win both of your challenges.

Soccer's adopted goal line technology so I'm not sure why they could't institute a fair and effecient replay system to ensure that on scoring plays, the right call was made.

I agree there is much that different sports can learn from each other - particularly in the case of American sports and European sports, as they generally follow different models. There is a book I've been meaning to read for a while that does an overall comparison between Baseball and Soccer which is called National Pastime: How Americans Play Baseball and the Rest of the World Plays Soccer
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4: Feb 15, 2015 02:15:00 pm
      I think rugby union at its best is a fantastic spectator sport to watch. Of course I'd never play it (my skinny frame would get pulverised in an instant!) but I do enjoy this time of they year when the 6 nations is on. I'm quite neutral and a fan of all the home nations here but I have to say I do love the Wales v England fixture the most. It's always the highlight of the 6 nations and its great news for rugby fans that both will be playing each other in the World Cup later this year! For me that is Rugby Union at its best and so it proved during last weeks excellent match (and an impressive English victory to go with it).

I think we're blessed in Britain to have a lot of football codes thanks to the various folk traditions in all corners of this country. There's one in Workington, Cumbria called Uppies and Downies which is a version of Medieval football!

But maybe the most famous of folk footballing codes (and one I know of very well!) is in the Orkney Islands called The Ba! As you can see in the video below it's quite brutal!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-973kUV-sE
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #5: Feb 15, 2015 10:26:56 pm
      Rugby League is the second best game in the world. Watch the Aussie competition - best players, best teams.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #6: Feb 15, 2015 10:43:18 pm
      Rugby League is the second best game in the world. Watch the Aussie competition - best players, best teams.

I agree the Aussie Rugby League is the best Rugby League competition in the world. Don't think much of those Penrith Panthers though John, even if they did steal the Warriors coach.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #7: Feb 15, 2015 10:52:19 pm
      You wait until Peter Wallace is holding up the trophy in September mate :D
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #8: Feb 15, 2015 11:47:14 pm

I watch Rugby but as hard as I try I can't quite get a grasp of the rules. Seems like a fascinating game but I can't figure out the rules and tactics. Then isn't there a difference between Rugby and Aussie rules football?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #9: Feb 16, 2015 12:37:23 am
      Rugby League is like the fan-friendly version of Rugby (Union).

It's quicker, less complex rules and more attacking play.

I don't even understand Rugby Union. Can't sit through ten minutes of it.

And Aussie Rules is very different to both.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #10: Feb 16, 2015 12:49:24 am
      I like quite a few of the different codes. My first love was Liverpool FC, became hooked when I went to my first game at the age of 5 when Liverpool played Man City. The other codes that I like are Rugby Union, Rugby League and American Football.

I started watching Union when I was about 12 - about a year or so before England won the World cup. I tend not to take an awful lot of interest in the club games, it's more the international stage where my interest lies. My second favourite code though is American Football. Only started watching it a few years ago when Green Bay and Pittsburgh were in the Super Bowl. I didn't have a clue what was happening and was baffled as to why they call it a 60 minute game when it takes like 3 and a bit hours to complete :D I've since learned quite a few of the rules but still trying to learn terms like "the nickle package" etc haha. I've become completely hooked since I watched a Baltimore Ravens game. I became aware of them after watching 'The Blind Side' (such a great story). Tried to progress my learning of it year on year and I recently just finished watching my first whole season of College Football. 

I attempt to start watching a few Aussie Rules games but lost interest after a bit.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #11: Feb 16, 2015 02:29:12 am

I went to a St Helens game in 2012 along with JD but back then I hardly knew the rules, and when you add the fact that the home team sucked on that night and was badly beaten, it did not leave a very positive memory for me. However, I did enjoy the experience and thought the game was promising - certainly faster than rugby union. So since then I've been meaning to watch a bit of rugby league but could not find the means to do it. It's not televised here and even watching through the internet can be difficult.

Until recently, when I found this website that posts all televised games - it's not live, but that's ok to me.

What I find odd about rugby league is how strongly it grew in Australia, but in all other places, union seems to be the bigger sport. Am I wrong in saying this?

Anyway, I do like rugby union, especially competitions such as the Six Nations and the World Cup, but league has been growing on me those past few weeks. Really looking forward to next weekend's world club challenge.

What's your NRL team mate?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #12: Feb 16, 2015 03:08:14 am
      Yeah Rugby League is biggest in Australia. Probably because Union has established itself way before in the UK and NZ has the All Blacks so Rugby League falls away a little there. Not that it's small time anyway - just not as big.

Union is big here too of course. But you rarely find someone in the street talking about the Rugby Union. The hysteria of the NSW Waratahs died down after a little while on the streets.

I support the Penrith Panthers! Got knocked out in the semi finals last year but we can definitely go one better this year.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #13: Feb 16, 2015 11:05:01 am
      Rugby League is like the fan-friendly version of Rugby (Union).

It's quicker, less complex rules and more attacking play.

I don't even understand Rugby Union. Can't sit through ten minutes of it.

And Aussie Rules is very different to both.

I'm the opposite mate.

I was brought up on Union at school and don't get League at all.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #14: Feb 16, 2015 11:13:00 am
      Yeah thats the thing i was referring to mate. More enthusiasts of the game exist in the UK/Wales and NZ just because it has established itself. Majority of the Rugby fan base here is the upper class in society.

I think if someone unfamilar with both codes were to watch them, they would pick up Rugby League quicker.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #15: Feb 16, 2015 11:57:21 am
      Other than union and league, both of which I watch internationals but generally not club, I very much enjoy having a look at Aussie rules whenever its on Eurosport or whatever. I think it's fun to watch and pretty exciting, wouldn't mind giving it a go myself if I ever get out to Aus, though it looks a very tough sport to play.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #16: Feb 16, 2015 04:29:33 pm
      Other than union and league, both of which I watch internationals but generally not club, I very much enjoy having a look at Aussie rules whenever its on Eurosport or whatever. I think it's fun to watch and pretty exciting, wouldn't mind giving it a go myself if I ever get out to Aus, though it looks a very tough sport to play.

You've gotta be bloody fit to play Aussie Rules. It is fun though.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #17: Feb 17, 2015 11:50:21 am
      Grown up in Aussie Rules country, played it from 7 years old into my teens. Was a fan from the moment I could comprehend what sports were. Definitely my first love, AFL and the Port Adelaide Magpies/Power.

Saying that, once I got into the world game and LFC they definitely took over as my #1 passion, but thats not to say I don't hold a fair amount for all of my various codes. Sports of all kinds are my life, can't get enough.

Got into NFL in early 2000's, and then having lived over there for five years and gone to a successful University in regards to its football program (Oregon) I've probably been to more College football games than anything else and have a lot of love for the game.

Rugby isn't huge in South Australia but I've always loved watching league, and follow Union. Do agree with Shamwow, League is far more accessible. Union can be great fun to watch, but some games are just like watching a trench war on a slow day. 
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #18: Feb 18, 2015 02:25:18 am
      Sports of all kinds are my life, can't get enough.

Same here mate. One day I'll even give cricket a chance, as that's one of the few major team sports I've never watched a game.

Do you have a team in the NRL?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #19: Feb 18, 2015 02:28:52 am
      Same here mate. One day I'll even give cricket a chance, as that's one of the few major team sports I've never watched a game.

If you're watching cricket then India v Pakistan and Australia v England is what you want.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #20: Feb 18, 2015 09:09:04 am

Cricket is a brilliant game once you get it, and being a fan of baseball (a brilliant game in its nuances as you would know!) I think you'll enjoy it. As Crouch said, get into a few of the rivalries. I'm actually going to the World Cup final in a month as well! Hopefully the Aussies will be there :D

Yeah I follow Wests Tigers, bit of a weird team to follow as they seem to either fly or completely sh*t the bed. Not as big into it the last few years having been over in the states, and I devoted any late nights I could to trying to keep up with my Aussie Rules, but been watching a bit since I've been back. Still prefer Aussie Rules so much more, but that's just personal preference. NRL is still terrific to watch.

Also, I'm wearing an A's cap as I type this reply. Thought you'd approve :D
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #21: Feb 18, 2015 09:22:09 am
      I'm the opposite mate.

I was brought up on Union at school and don't get League at all.

That's us Grammar school kids for you mate.  :P

I played union, cricket and football at school and was above average at all [but a way better footballer tbh] and although I could watch league at a push, I always found it as rounders is to baseball. Union and cricket were (back then anyhow) the domain of the middle class and as such were never going to be for me - a spawny kid from a rough, working-class back-ground.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #22: Feb 18, 2015 04:44:06 pm
      That's us Grammar school kids for you mate.  :P

I played union, cricket and football at school and was above average at all [but a way better footballer tbh] and although I could watch league at a push, I always found it as rounders is to baseball. Union and cricket were (back then anyhow) the domain of the middle class and as such were never going to be for me - a spawny kid from a rough, working-class back-ground.

Yes BBB we believe you  ;)

Quick Reply