Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D7 L8

Big decision time

Read 10727 times
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Re: Big decision time
      Reply #46: Feb 12, 2015 11:14:05 pm
      I doubt we will get anywhere in the UEFA Cup. 

Just out of interest, why?

For my money, I'm only worried about Roma. Not saying we'll win, but I'll be disappointed if we don't get pretty far.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,406 posts | 3403 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #47: Feb 12, 2015 11:18:06 pm
      Football is a simple game and if you treat it that way then you give yourself a better a chance of success , keep rotation to a minimum, base the team on balance and form and not sentiment or reputation . One game at a time
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,628 posts | 6935 
      Reply #48: Feb 13, 2015 02:39:06 am

The tradition of under performance of ex champions league sides in the tournament.

The fact that we arent very good in Europe.

The fact that we will need to win a load more games in it than the FA cup.

Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #49: Feb 13, 2015 06:51:48 pm
      The tradition of under performance of ex champions league sides in the tournament.

The fact that we arent very good in Europe.

The fact that we will need to win a load more games in it than the FA cup.

The first is fair - though that is typically because those sides have cared far less in the past (as it offered little reward). I doubt this will be the case this year.

Secondly, our form and performance has increased several orders of magnitude since earlier this year, so I don't think that is quite fair.

Third, is a relative thing. Yes, we have better odds in the FA cup, but that doesn't have much bearing on our expectations in the Europa league. Also each game being over two legs is an advantage for our current set-up - a set-up which is very good at not losing.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,521 posts | 1768 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #50: Feb 14, 2015 10:39:12 am
      My 2 bobs worth. some fans think too much and have way too much time on thier hands.

The club is good solid hands, they are IMO doing a very good job, they will do whats best for the long term stability and success of LFC.

ps. We are LFC we will win more silverware, and probably the league sooner than most think. But there is more to it than that, the owners have to make sure the club stays around for years to come. I always worry we could end up doing a Leeds or god for bit a glasgow rangers.

Let's leave them too it, unless we get to the stage where the fans are going to buy the owners out ? Things could be a hell of a lot worse.

Peace & YNWA.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #51: Feb 19, 2015 09:00:53 am
      I've seen posts here abour BR being 'under pressure' from the owners to win silverware - but there is also an unspoken pressure from the fans to win one (ideally two !!) more trophies for Stevie.

As much as the football writers would love it if he won the FA cup, on his birthday, on his 'last' appearance for the club, if there was a competition that had priority, it would have to be Europa league due to the winners getting a CL slot

Saying that though, no reason given the squad we have, that we cannot get top 4 and win both cups.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #52: Feb 26, 2015 08:47:37 pm
      Well that's that.

We now need to direct all our energies towards the league which we will now have a substantially better chance in.

To those trying to claim that going for all competitions equally the sight of our players cramping up and limping off the pitch should give some pause for thought.

Trophies, whilst nice, are not as important to the club and players as qualification for next years Champions League competition.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1638 
      Reply #53: Feb 26, 2015 09:34:17 pm

Trophies, whilst nice, are not as important to the club and players as qualification for next years Champions League competition.

I'll keep that in mind for all future seasons where we win nothing but finish fourth.

Might even go out for a celebratory bevvie and have a sing song about the fourth place finish with some mates.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Reply #54: Feb 26, 2015 09:39:25 pm
      I'll get some of them league winners t-shirts you see people buying at the market made up for us but get them to change it to 2015 4th place winners and join you mate.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1638 
      Reply #55: Feb 26, 2015 09:42:51 pm
      I'll get some of them league winners t-shirts you see people buying at the market made up for us but get them to change it to 2015 4th place winners and join you mate.

Don't forget to bring along a balance sheet to show how much profit we made during the season, we'll have a right laugh!
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,176 posts | 4402 
      Reply #56: Feb 26, 2015 09:44:50 pm
      I think trophies are just as important to the players as the fans, however this Thursday/Sunday schedule is not conducive to winning anything and infact harmful as has been shown for most english teams who have progressed in this EL.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,213 posts | 915 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #57: Feb 26, 2015 09:45:21 pm
      Why can't players play 2 games a week! Seriously! Factory workers and labourers can work over 40 per week hard graft, but its such a big deal for players to run around a field  for 90 minutes twice a week!

There's no reason why men at the peak of their fitness can't challenge on all fronts.
      Bunch of fannys
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,526 posts | 719 
      Reply #58: Feb 26, 2015 09:51:47 pm
      When people compare being a factory worker or labourer to a football player or athlete. I really question their overrall logic.

Like, you REALLY can't tell the difference?
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Reply #59: Feb 26, 2015 10:00:31 pm
      When people compare being a factory worker or labourer to a football player or athlete. I really question their overrall logic.

Like, you REALLY can't tell the difference?

As in what? I used to be a ground worker and can tell you that digging trenches 7 hours a day is a lot more taxing than running around twice a week for 90 minutes. You don't see a site foreman saying well Steve has done 45 days of digging now he needs a rest.

Plus think about people like marathon runners who run miles and miles every day. It's 90 minutes for F**k sake.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #60: Feb 26, 2015 10:04:44 pm
      As in what? I used to be a ground worker and can tell you that digging trenches 7 hours a day is a lot more taxing than running around twice a week for 90 minutes. You don't see a site foreman saying well Steve has done 45 days of digging now he needs a rest.

Plus think about people like marathon runners who run miles and miles every day. It's 90 minutes for f**k sake.

They could all run all day every day but at the level they are operating at (a level 0.0000001% of aspirants ever attain) small margins count immeasurably
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,176 posts | 4402 
      Reply #61: Feb 26, 2015 10:09:26 pm

Plus think about people like marathon runners who run miles and miles every day. It's 90 minutes for f**k sake.

That's all fine mate, unfortunately when your playing another team who has had 1-2 day more rest and in the case of those teams not in Europe a whole weeks rest...............you get the jist?

Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #62: Feb 27, 2015 09:48:04 am
      I'll keep that in mind for all future seasons where we win nothing but finish fourth.

Might even go out for a celebratory bevvie and have a sing song about the fourth place finish with some mates.

Get with the programme - none of the big clubs - and by extension the players - care about domestic cup competitions any more.

We are not far off the scenario where we will see weakened sides playing in the cup semi finals.

They used to be important now they are not.

While you are out celebrating the league cup the serious clubs are attracting big money to pay big players to compete for the big prizes.

If we want to be a big club therefore that is the stage we need to be competing on. Not beating championsip sides for trophies that no-one gives a sh*t about.

yes, it's better than nothing - but only just - and therefore we should be aiming higher than that.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,603 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #63: Feb 27, 2015 10:59:20 am
      Win the next game.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #64: Feb 27, 2015 11:17:19 am

i know you are going to accuse me of over-analysing your glib answer but trying to win the last game has now left our players cramped and potentially injured before the crucial match aagianst city.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,603 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #65: Feb 27, 2015 12:16:33 pm
      i know you are going to accuse me of over-analysing your glib answer but trying to win the last game has now left our players cramped and potentially injured before the crucial match aagianst city.

Not winning it has left them cramped and potentially injured.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #66: Feb 27, 2015 12:34:48 pm
      Not winning it has left them cramped and potentially injured.

who could have guessed that unlikley scenario would arise?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,215 posts | 4916 
      Reply #67: Feb 27, 2015 12:45:03 pm
      Get with the programme - none of the big clubs - and by extension the players - care about domestic cup competitions any more.

You may well be right mate and I'd say a fair amount of 'fans' as well especially new ones.

Why I'm becoming more and more disillusioned with football and often think if it's worth my time.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #68: Feb 27, 2015 12:50:26 pm
      You may well be right mate and I'd say a fair amount of 'fans' as well especially new ones.

Why I'm becoming more and more disillusioned with football and often think if it's worth my time.

Start a thread - i've been having simlar thoughts and it would be interesting to discuss!

Quick Reply