Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Pre Match: Besiktas v Liverpool - Europa League 2nd Leg Thurs 26th Feb 6pm ko

Read 13062 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Pre Match: Besiktas v Liverpool - Europa League 2nd Leg Thurs 26th Feb 6pm ko
      Feb 24, 2015 01:47:38 pm
      Thought somebody should start this seeing as it's only 2 days away.

We go to the Attaturk Stadium with a slight 0-1 advantage from the first leg at Anfield.  Although I'm sure a lot of line ups will be done with one eye on the game on Sunday but for me we should go into this with as strong a line up as possible.  We really don't need to be resting players even though we're playing every few days.

Migs and Skrtel don't need rest as they aren't covering as much ground with the new system.  Both are in their best form of the season.

Sakho and Can have only recently come into the side so have barely played and both have been a big part in our turnaround.

Allen has played a bit part all season, so he should be fine, likewise Moreno hasn't been playing every game and Ibe's only just come into the side.

Lallana didn't have his best game at the weekend but going back to his boyhood Club for the first time since leaving was always going to be a tough one for him and Raheem's had some time off with his foot injury and an extended winter break at Christmas.

Danny needs more minutes not rest.

The only concerns would be over Hendo and Cou who've played a lot of minutes recently but both are young enough and our periodisation with training means everyone is coming into peak fitness now, ready for that final, end of season push that Brendans teams have become renowned for.

If Sakho's fit, I'd play him as we need his calming influence on the back 3 and I hope that Can remains a part of that 3 and not moved into midfield.  It's great that he's capable of being moved there during the game if needed but for me, his awesome form when he first came into the defense has stuttered slightly since Brendan started moving him around.

I'm sure Balo will make an appearance at some stage and I'm hoping that it's alongside Danny up top, possibly with Raheem or Lallana behind if Cou needs a rest.

Migs

Can
      Skrtel
      Sakho

Ibe
      Hendo
      Allen
      Moreno

Raheem/Lallana/Cou
      Studge
      Balo

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Re: Pre Match: Besiktas v Liverpool - Europa League 2nd Leg Thurs 26th Feb 6pm ko
      Reply #1: Feb 24, 2015 02:04:15 pm
      Difficult to choose which #10 to use, isn't it? all 3 offer something different.

I too would like to see Balo and Sturridge up top with us playing one #10.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Re: Pre Match: Besiktas v Liverpool - Europa League 2nd Leg Thurs 26th Feb 6pm ko
      Reply #2: Feb 24, 2015 02:45:51 pm

I'm sure Balo will make an appearance at some stage and I'm hoping that it's alongside Danny up top, possibly with Raheem or Lallana behind if Cou needs a rest.

Difficult to choose which #10 to use, isn't it? all 3 offer something different.

I too would like to see Balo and Sturridge up top with us playing one #10.

Although I'd like to see it happen I can't really see Brendan playing them together from the off. I think it'll be a lone striker with a midfield flooded to stem their counter attacks.

I would like to see him start Balo though with Sturridge on the bench.

Hopefully Sakho will be back fit just to put that stability and solidity back in the team. I don't imagine that Lovren will have yet gained Mignolet's full trust.

I'd consign Coutinho to the bench too because TBH I think he'll be far more pivotal for the Citeh game.

Mignolet

Can Skrtle Sakho

Ibe Allen Henderson Moreno

Sterling Balotelli Lallana

I really hope he doesn't try using Markovic on the left again.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3: Feb 24, 2015 02:49:42 pm
      Start the strongest 11.
      Get it done. Take off Coutinho, Sterling and Hendo.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #4: Feb 24, 2015 03:40:30 pm
      Although I'd like to see it happen I can't really see Brendan playing them together from the off. I think it'll be a lone striker with a midfield flooded to stem their counter attacks.

I would like to see him start Balo though with Sturridge on the bench.

Hopefully Sakho will be back fit just to put that stability and solidity back in the team. I don't imagine that Lovren will have yet gained Mignolet's full trust.

I'd consign Coutinho to the bench too because TBH I think he'll be far more pivotal for the Citeh game.

Mignolet

Can Skrtle Sakho

Ibe Allen Henderson Moreno

Sterling Balotelli Lallana

I really hope he doesn't try using Markovic on the left again.

Markovic is suspended.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #5: Feb 24, 2015 03:57:35 pm
      Think Lovren will get an extended run. Couts, Can could benefit with a break.

Kinda worried about Hendo though but we got no alternatives unfortunately.

Mignolet
      Lovren-Skrtel-Sakho
      Johnson-Hendo-Allen-Moreno
      Ibe-Sterling
      Sturridge

Subs - Ward, Manquillo, Kolo, Can, Lallana, Mario, Lambert
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #6: Feb 24, 2015 04:05:40 pm
      Think Lovren will get an extended run. Couts, Can could benefit with a break.

Kinda worried about Hendo though but we got no alternatives unfortunately.

Mignolet
      Lovren-Skrtel-Sakho
      Johnson-Hendo-Allen-Moreno
      Ibe-Sterling
      Sturridge

Subs - Ward, Manquillo, Kolo, Can, Lallana, Mario, Lambert

I wouldn't be surprised to see us go with more of a 5 in the back formation, like you have, than 3 in the back.

As for Henderson, I wouldn't worry. I don't think he's ever felt tired in his life :laugh:
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #7: Feb 24, 2015 04:07:52 pm
                                           Mignolet

Can         Skrtel        Sakho

Ibe         Hendo        Allen        Moreno

Sterling
                             Sturridge              Balotelli

ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #8: Feb 24, 2015 04:54:01 pm
                                           Mignolet

Sterling

I tell you what that is an exciting team when you look at it like that with the potential to push Can in the middle for allen or hendo as the game goes on and bring on Kolo or Lovern. i really hope to see this line up very soon as it gives me wood just looking at it
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #9: Feb 24, 2015 05:01:52 pm
                                           Mignolet

Sterling

I'd like to see that line up but with us being the away team and trying to defend a 1-0 agg lead, I'm not sure if Brendan would play both Sturridge and Balotelli up top together.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #10: Feb 24, 2015 06:15:17 pm
      I'd like to see that line up but with us being the away team and trying to defend a 1-0 agg lead, I'm not sure if Brendan would play both Sturridge and Balotelli up top together.

Reckon he might. Good on the break I imagine. Lallana is distinct possibility over Balo though, because he does put a good shift in (as does Coutinho recently in terms of ball winning- but I reckon he might get a break for City as he normally has a cracker against them)

Edit: My post could be read to mean that I think Coutinho doesn't always put a shift in. What I actually meant was that Coutinho's defensive contributions have been outstanding recently above his normally strong level.
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #11: Feb 24, 2015 06:37:11 pm
      Definitely think we should be at full strength for this. Only question mark is Sakho, but happy for Lovren to step in again if he is not 100%.
      Would like to see Sturridge and Balotelli together from the start.

Mignolet
                             Can   Skrtel  Sakho/Lov
                    Ibe  Henderson  Allen  Moreno
                                     Sterling
                             Sturridge  Balotelli

Ward; Johnson, Manquillo; Coutinho, Lallana; Borini, Lambert.

Hopefully try and get a goal before half-time, which would mean they'd need to score 3 which I highly doubt. Then we can think about bringing off Sterling and Sturridge in preparation for City on sunday.
      LFC_Olly_91
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 306 posts | 43 
      Reply #12: Feb 24, 2015 07:04:47 pm
      Mignolet

Can
      Skrtel
      Sakho

Ibe
      Henderson (c)
      Allen
      Moreno

Sterling
      Coutinho

Sturridge

Subs: Ward; Lovren, Toure; Lallana, Markovic; Balotelli, Lambert.

0-1, Studge with the goal!

:kop5cf8koxp6:

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #13: Feb 24, 2015 07:34:30 pm
      I bet Sakho gets a little longer break to be fully healed for City.

It will be Lovren, Can and Skrtel in the back.

Moreno and Ibe have to play and I would assume Allen, Lallana and Sterling get the start in midfield with Sturridge up front. Cou and Balo to come on if needed. Toure to allow Can to roam late in the game as well.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #14: Feb 24, 2015 08:18:24 pm
      Start the strongest 11.
      Get it done. Take off Coutinho, Sterling and Hendo.

Yep.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #15: Feb 24, 2015 09:53:05 pm
      Reckon he might. Good on the break I imagine. Lallana is distinct possibility over Balo though, because he does put a good shift in (as does Coutinho recently in terms of ball winning- but I reckon he might get a break for City as he normally has a cracker against them)

Edit: My post could be read to mean that I think Coutinho doesn't always put a shift in. What I actually meant was that Coutinho's defensive contributions have been outstanding recently above his normally strong level.

To be honest mate, Coutinho doesn't always puts a big shift in defensively. I've commented numerous times about how he sometimes lets people just run right passed him. Lately though, as you've said, his defensive contributions lately have been great.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,918 posts | 281 
      Reply #16: Feb 24, 2015 09:59:19 pm
      Lets just get an early goal, force them to push forward as they'll need 3, and open the game up in our favor for a whitewash.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #17: Feb 24, 2015 10:05:41 pm
      I think our shape will be determined on the fitness of Sakho, I'd have thought Brendan will want to resort to type as best he can but with extra security, we have a 1 goal advantage which he will want to protect for as long as possible,
      they'll be coming at us from the off and it will be incessant, couple that with their psychopathic home support and it really will be like hell for our boys,

So for me i would try and retain the ball for long periods and frustrate the sh*t out of them, perhaps even cajole them into receiving a card or two maybe even see red,
      If we can frustrate them, by keeping the ball and hit them on the break we could nick a away goal they will crumble, this is what I'd pick, providing big Mama is fit,
                                             Mignolet
                                  Lovren   Skrtle  Sakho
                              Ibe                              Moreno
                                              Allen
                                Henderson      Emre Can
                                      Sterling
                                                  Sturridge

The emphasis being if they can get in behind us then fair fucks to them but by doing so they will leave spaces for us to run in to, we are solid at the back whilst retaining our attack, on the right we have young Ibe with support form Hendo, on the left we have Albert supported by Can, the weak link is obviously wee Joe sat in front of the beastie boys, as I said protect what we have, give them F**k all, if we all stick together as a working unit especially Allen, Jordy & Can we will frustrate them and keep their frenzied psycho support relatively quiet,

It's gonna be one hell of a ride ppl, but one I feel we will come thru stronger both mentally and confidently,

Get through this and we will be on the brink of conquering Europe once again,

Onward & Upwards with Brendan's Red army.

1-1

YNWA

Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #18: Feb 24, 2015 10:08:35 pm
      Apparently Coutinho has played 19 games in a row, time for a rest for me

Migs
        Toure      Skrtel     Lovern

Johnson.                     Moreno 

Hendo.     Allen

Sterling
               Balo.          Borini
      anfieldroad
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 582 posts | 18 
      Reply #19: Feb 24, 2015 10:52:26 pm
      Play our strongest team, get the qualification sealed and then bring the stars off who are involved on sunday.
      Remember one goal for us means they need 3, which I don't think they'd get in a month of Sunday's against us
      « Last Edit: Feb 24, 2015 11:18:11 pm by anfieldroad »
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #20: Feb 25, 2015 10:35:35 am
      A tough one for the boss this. We've played so many games in such a short space. With city coming up on Sunday which we should prioritise and the fact we already hold a slight advantage in this tie already - I think he has to rest players.

Mignolet

Johnson  Skrtel   Lovren

Ibe           Allen      Can          Moreno

Lallana   Balotelli   Borini       

Still a good enough side to come away with a result.

I wouldn't mind seeing Henderson, Coutinho, Sakho, Sturridge and Sterling all get a bit of a rest to be honest. Some might be tired or carrying a knock & we have some big games coming up.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #21: Feb 25, 2015 10:38:20 am
      Looks like no Gerrard, Lucas, Henderson or Johnson in training.

Mignolet

Toure     Skrtel     Lovren

Ibe        Can         Allen       Moreno

Lallana    Sterling    Coutinho

Probable line-up?
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #22: Feb 25, 2015 10:57:30 am
      Looks like no Gerrard, Lucas, Henderson or Johnson in training.

Mignolet

Toure     Skrtel     Lovren

Ibe        Can         Allen       Moreno

Lallana    Sterling    Coutinho

Probable line-up?

Please Fowler no, not that line up mate, we'll get torn to shreds.

Quick Reply