Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Plans for a Shankly Hotel

Read 2769 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 36,005 posts | 3952 
      Plans for a Shankly Hotel
      Feb 24, 2015 04:25:34 pm
      Shankly Hotel to show unseen items
      Work has begun on a £20m football themed hotel which includes a museum with unseen memorabilia of former LFC manager Bill Shankly,
      The 83 bedroom Shankly Hotel in the former Liverpool City Council building in Victoria St will display 70 pieces from his family's collection.
      Chris Shankly-Carline said it will be ''the ultimate tribute to his grandfather''.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-31602063

Would love to hear the great man's thoughts on the project.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Shankly Hotel
      Reply #1: Feb 24, 2015 06:40:13 pm
      Liverpool's Shankly Hotel to display unseen memorabilia

The 83-bedroom Shankly Hotel in the former Liverpool City Council building in Victoria Street will display 70 pieces from his family's collection.

It is expected to be completed in August, creating more than 200 jobs.

Chris Shankly-Carline said it will be "the ultimate tribute to his grandfather".

The museum will feature items from Shankly's time as Liverpool manager and also from his playing days with Carlisle United and Preston North End.

Bill Shankly's grandson Chris Shankly-Carline holding the This is Your Life book and the key to the Shankly Gates with developer Lawrence Kenwright

Pieces include the key to the Shankly Gates (pictured), presented to the family in 1982 and Nasa badges given to him by Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong when they visited Anfield in the 1970s.

Mr Shankly-Carline said: "[We] have identified some truly unique, unseen pieces of memorabilia from within the family collection to display."

Shankly took over as Liverpool manager in 1959. He is credited with taking the club from the second tier of English football and turning it into a major force in Europe.

Under Shankly, Liverpool won the First Division title in 1964, 1966 and 1973, won the FA Cup in 1965 for the first time in the club's history and the Uefa Cup in 1973.

He retired in 1974 after winning the FA Cup for a second time.

After his death in 1981, Liverpool erected the Shankly Gates at the stadium and a seven-foot bronze statue of Shankly was unveiled outside the Kop in 1997.

The hotel is being developed in conjunction with his family and Signature Living.
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-31602063

Not much on the web site: http://shanklyhotel.com/

Shankly Hotel: February start date for hotel honouring LFC legend

Chris Carline and Lawrence Kenwright (right) outside what will be the new Shankly hotel on Victoria street, Liverpool.

Work is set to begin on Liverpool’s new Shankly-themed hotel next month with bosses announcing February 1 as the start date for the project.

Builders are preparing to transform the former Liverpool council offices in Millennium House into a hotel based on the Reds hero.

Part of the project has already seen the £850,000 overhaul of the Lifestyles gym on Victoria Street that forms part of the site.

Signature Living, the company behind the hotel project, will take over the building at the end of January as council staff move over to the Cunard Building.

The complex is expected to have 61 hotel rooms and 22 serviced apartments and officials behind the Shankly Hotel hope it will become a major tourist attraction once complete as fans from around the world visit to celebrate the famous LFC manager.

The Shankly Hotel development is thought to be worth around £15m and Signature Living hope it will be open by August - around the start of 2015/2016 football season.

The company is behind several developments in the city, including 30 James Street, and their plans will also see the creation of a training school on the site for people wanting to go into the leisure and hospitality industries.

Announcing the start date for work Signature Living said: “The Shankly Hotel is delighted to announce work will commence on 1st February, 2015, to transform Millennium House into a hotel based on the late, great Bill Shankly.

“The Shankly Hotel will offer more than just accommodation; it is set to become a major tourist attraction in Liverpool, which will ultimately promote the city as an amazing destination in the UK.

"Shankly Hotel is part of the Signature Living group, and the new development will follow in the footsteps of 30 James Street, a new Titanic Hotel based along Liverpool’s waterfront.

“The hotel will undoubtedly garner a lot of attraction from people across the world due to the legacy Bill Shankly left behind.

"It won’t just be a hotel for fans of Liverpool football club, who Shankly helped pull out from Second Division to become Division One winners, but will celebrate the passion, determination of William Shankly – who is one of football’s greatest ever football managers.”
      http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/shankly-hotel-february-start-date-8513220

Could be a nice place to stay if your're an out of towner.

It will be very interesting to see the tariffs.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: Shankly Hotel
      Reply #2: Feb 24, 2015 06:44:12 pm
        Red Puppy stuey has already started a thread on the Bill Shankly Hotel not that you can ever get enough of the great man.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Re: Shankly Hotel
      Reply #3: Feb 24, 2015 06:46:08 pm
        Red Puppy stuey has already started a thread on the Bill Shankly Hotel not that you can ever get enough of the great man.

But I have a reply, and he doesn't :D

Cheers, Topics merged.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: Plans for a Shankly Hotel
      Reply #4: Feb 25, 2015 06:22:27 am
      But I have a reply, and he doesn't :D

Cheers, Topics merged.

I thought you would of got a better reaction to the thread R.P. with the mention of Bill Shankly.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 36,005 posts | 3952 
      Reply #5: Feb 25, 2015 07:33:21 am
      I thought you would of got a better reaction to the thread R.P. with the mention of Bill Shankly.

Thought the same meself Billy.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #6: Feb 25, 2015 07:52:22 am
      Thought the same meself Billy.

Sorry stuey I should of addressed my reply to you as you started the thread, I suppose you could always sue Red Puppy.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 36,005 posts | 3952 
      Reply #7: Feb 25, 2015 08:14:23 am
      Sorry stuey I should of addressed my reply to you as you started the thread, I suppose you could always sue Red Puppy.

Matters not Billy, you, me, RP and every Liverpool supporter worship Mr Shankly. We bow our head's together in his praise.
      Joined threads, joined praise, joined worship mate.

Quick Reply