Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Time for a DOF?

Read 10225 times
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Re: Time for a DOF?
      Reply #46: Feb 27, 2015 03:45:58 pm
      It can only be improved if is compromised. Get someone else in operating under the same parameters and we will see (by and large) the same results. It was a recognition of this that had me speaking so passionately in the Sterling contract situation thread but despite recognising our transfer activity isn't the best (hence you starting this thread) you are perhaps the biggest advocate of "sign it or we will wash our hands of you Raheem".

It's bonkers, if you recognise that we are hamstrung, operating at a disadvantage in the transfer window and yet you would rather have us speculating on "B grade" players than dare to consider paying Sterling what is advisors are asking.

Oh I get what you are saying - you think that because we bought Raheem under a strategy we should just go along and give him whatever he wants?

No = like Rafa i believ that every player has his worth to the club. We bought Sterling for a deal rising to 5million. Now he is worth many times that.

But he has to provide value for us - if not he is by definition draining the rest of the team of investment. 

I repeat again we will only succeed if every pound we spend returns more value than every pound United or City or Arsenal spend.

If we pay top wages we should expect top performances at a minimum.

I'm not talking about overpaying though. More often than not players are worth what the market will drive hence we dumped out of the Willian race a couple of season back, not sure who we used the saved money to buy but I daresay it was on a couple or few players that the manager was less keen on. But you're right, we seem to overpay on players that aren't coveted by other teams, one season wonders as JD called them. I'd rather we went after a bit more proven quality of the Sanchez ilk. Don't get me wrong, I actually really like Lallana but I'd rather take Fabregas anyday.

As for Sanchez, yes he is of the calibre we should be aiming for from time to time, absolutely proven, top player, would have been fantastic. What I can't figure out is why once he said no we turned our attentions to the Remys' and the Balotelli's of this world. Brendan's first choices? I don't know, I don't think so.

It's a balance of risks - we would have been unlikely to lose much on either of those deals.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #47: Feb 27, 2015 03:47:26 pm
      I guess if we want a new manager this would be the quickest and easiest way to do it.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #48: Feb 27, 2015 03:47:41 pm

The problem nowadays is that managers don't stick with teams for long periods to build a style and philosophy into the club DNA.

The problem nowadays is that owners and fans don't stick with managers long enough to build a style and philosophy. It's lose today, sacked tomorrow in modern day football. That's why managers don't want to work with a DOF, they don't get long to get it right and if they get it wrong they are out on the ear. That's why they would rather win/lose on their own terms and not be compromised by having to work with someone else's players.

It might work in the NFL but it'll never work in English football.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #49: Feb 27, 2015 03:49:32 pm
      Please don't act like you speak for the majority of Liverpool fans. You are entitled to your opinion, but you don't get to speak for "most Liverpool fans."

For the record, the feedback I get from most of my footie friends (these are fans of Man Utd, Chelsea, and Arsenal in particular) is that they are actually envious of a lot of the recent business we have done. They are quite concerned that we will be able to nurture Coutinho, Sterling, Ibe, and Can into genuine world class talents and will reap the rewards for our "shrewd" recruitment policy in the coming seasons....

Well, as pointed out elsewhere I have probably been the staunchest defender of our summer signings - i'm glad that people are coming around to the same view.

But that doesn't mean the majority of fans have been happy with our transfer dealing so far - check any number of threads on the issue - and it doesn't mean we can't improve on our business.

Getting players in young and playing them in a system until they gel is the best way for us to manufacture "value" in the squad. Broadly that's what we are doing.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #50: Feb 27, 2015 03:51:56 pm

The problem nowadays is that owners and fans don't stick with managers long enough to build a style and philosophy. It's lose today, sacked tomorrow in modern day football. That's why managers don't want to work with a DOF, they don't get long to get it right and if they get it wrong they are out on the ear. That's why they would rather win/lose on their own terms and not be compromised by having to work with someone else's players.

Easy to say mate but that's reality. If qualifiying for next years Champion's League might net you £60 million pounds how long can any club afford to let their manager find their feet whilst our rivals are filling their bank accounts and signing big name players?

At a certain point you have to conclude that even if you have the new Rafa the gap will grow too big.

Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #51: Feb 27, 2015 03:53:38 pm
      I guess if we want a new manager this would be the quickest and easiest way to do it.

Exactly right - that's why this thread is so crucial.

If Brendan refuses to work with a DOF we will have to decide what is more important to the future of the club.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #52: Feb 27, 2015 03:56:02 pm

Damien Comolli might argue that point - but then he would wouldn't he?

Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #53: Feb 27, 2015 04:21:11 pm
      Damien Comolli might argue that point - but then he would wouldn't he?

At least there was culpability with him in place.

With the cartel that is the 'committee' who do FSG apportion the blame?
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #54: Feb 27, 2015 04:23:56 pm
      At least there was culpability with him in place.

With the cartel that is the 'committee' who do FSG apportion the blame?

The Computer Software?
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,693 posts | 892 
      Reply #55: Feb 27, 2015 04:28:20 pm
      Dont know about DOF because honestly i dont know how it works behind the scenes. does the manager has the final say or are players thrown at him? so i am not going to comment on that.

But what i do know is that if there is any transfer comitee then they should get fired, same goes for scouts. Our scouting system and recruting system should be second to none. If there is one area the owners should throw money at, then its that department.

Our future depends on it, get the scouts with the best record. dont hire scouts because they have worked at city or whatever, look for the best canditates and pay what they want in wages, but demand results. I personally feel that people in that department in LFC have gotten a free ride so far.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #56: Feb 27, 2015 04:42:50 pm
      Exactly right - that's why this thread is so crucial.

If Brendan refuses to work with a DOF we will have to decide what is more important to the future of the club.

This thread like most threads is not crucial because the owners will do what they feel right irrespective of what we think!

Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #57: Feb 27, 2015 04:47:26 pm
      This thread like most threads is not crucial because the owners will do what they feel right irrespective of what we think!

By that reckoning then, there's no need for this or any forum. :f_tongueincheek:
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #58: Feb 27, 2015 04:50:24 pm
      By that reckoning then, there's no need for this or any forum. :f_tongueincheek:

Not really no because it only ends in tears after a loss  ;)

Would  probably spare a lot of grown ups a premature Heart Attack.......

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,412 posts | 3406 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #59: Feb 27, 2015 05:07:18 pm
      Don't see the need for another level of bureaucracy unless it was a really top guy like monchi at Sevilla or the old Milan guy who just went to Barcelona. Fsg could do with a more knowledgeable and forceful voice in their ear and a administrator with a football background who deals with negotiations ect but not deciding who you buy, else you'll end up like Newcastle buying players cos you have links with certain agents
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #60: Feb 27, 2015 05:33:17 pm
      The more I think about Hollywoods idea of a director of football, the more I'm starting to think it's a good idea. Ideally, you want someone who has proven in the past that they can spot a player, who knows what the manager of the first team wants, has good solid links with both the academy and the first team and is respected by everyone in the club. You want this person to help develop young players and to run the club with the idea of a long-term project, say ten years or so rather than the next few matches. Presumably, this person isn't up for the sack regardless of whether of not you win a match on penalties, he is in there for the long haul. I guess this fella would be charged with appointing all the youth coaches too, giving the direction to them so all our teams play the same way.

It's a great idea. I even know who should be given the job of first team coach and director of football, Brendan Rodgers. Sorted.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #61: Feb 27, 2015 05:47:20 pm

;D true; what I should have said is that the subject of the thread is crucial.
      « Last Edit: Feb 27, 2015 06:17:45 pm by Hollywood Balls »
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #62: Feb 27, 2015 05:49:20 pm
      It's a great idea. I even know who should be given the job of first team coach and director of football, Brendan Rodgers. Sorted.

Sorry mate, that's pie in the sky stuff. Why would he want to come here?  :f_tongueincheek:

Scottbot

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #63: Feb 27, 2015 07:29:42 pm

But he has to provide value for us - if not he is by definition draining the rest of the team of investment. 

At risk of repeating myself again, I do not have your faith in our ability to invest in the squad therefore I consider any drain Sterling's new contract might put on our ability to invest to be worth every penny.

If Sterling were to go (and I don't think he will) I do not have confidence in the board, FSG, the transfer committee, whatever you want to call them in spending the money on a player of similar (or better standard) quality. We would be weaker. The rules you claim we must always abide by would see to this.

That is the absolute crux of it for me and is why our opinions differ so fundamentally on Sterling. What is bizarre to me is that you can see issues with our transfer dealings and yet you do not agree.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #64: Feb 27, 2015 10:20:50 pm
      I have no problem with a DOF in principle and actually think it can be a good system but it is crucial that the man working below him i.e. the head coach is completely happy in that system.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #65: Feb 28, 2015 12:35:00 am
      DOF is not required if you have a strong ambitious Board & CEO who fully back what the man they appointed requires other than a black top hat to pull rabbits out of.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,191 posts | 1274 
      Reply #66: Feb 28, 2015 12:55:55 am
      The problem is with Director of Football is I wouldn't be certain of anyone in the role.

The best guy I would have thought for the role before summer may have been Tixi Begiristain but his signings at City leave a lot to be desired I think.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,211 posts | 1214 
      Reply #67: Feb 28, 2015 02:07:21 am
      I don't think we're doing too badly. In Emre Can, Moreno, Sakho, Markovic, Lallana, Sturridge, Coutinho, Sterling and Ibe, at the very least, we have a group of young and talented players who are hopefully going to grow together and flourish as they mature. Obviously we can improve our hit rate but I don't think we need a DoF for that and under Brendan I think they'll all do well.

The real thing that could prevent us/very probably has prevented us from progressing as quickly as we'd like is not supplementing that with one or two really top bracket players capable of coming straight in and instantly improving the first 11. Last summer in particular, having sold Suarez and nearly won the league, we had every right to expect better than what we got. A downgrade up front was inevitable but it didn't need to be that MAHOOOOSIVE, and likewise our midfield didn't receive quite the boost we were expecting. I expected at least one top class arrival in either of those areas. We got neither. That policy will need to change if we're serious about competing with the so-called big boys.
      Scottbot

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #68: Feb 28, 2015 08:03:39 am
      I don't think we're doing too badly. In Emre Can, Moreno, Sakho, Markovic, Lallana, Sturridge, Coutinho, Sterling and Ibe, at the very least, we have a group of young and talented players who are hopefully going to grow together and flourish as they mature. Obviously we can improve our hit rate but I don't think we need a DoF for that and under Brendan I think they'll all do well.

The real thing that could prevent us/very probably has prevented us from progressing as quickly as we'd like is not supplementing that with one or two really top bracket players capable of coming straight in and instantly improving the first 11. Last summer in particular, having sold Suarez and nearly won the league, we had every right to expect better than what we got. A downgrade up front was inevitable but it didn't need to be that MAHOOOOSIVE, and likewise our midfield didn't receive quite the boost we were expecting. I expected at least one top class arrival in either of those areas. We got neither. That policy will need to change if we're serious about competing with the so-called big boys.

Good post mate, that's what I have been trying to say about compromising the policy slightly. If we could just supplement the work that is already being done with a top top signing here and there we could be in really good shape, assuming of course we get the signings right at is.

Quick Reply