Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Subs: why aren't they ready?

Read 5006 times
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Subs: why aren't they ready?
      Mar 01, 2015 08:42:31 pm
      Watching Milner take his time getting organised to come on for Citeh today, the thought crossed my mind. Why aren't subs already wearing their game shirt? They warm up with tracksuit top and bib on so its not going to cause confusion on the touch line. No one else can wear their shirt given its got name and number on.  So why not be wearing it and be ready to go?
      Surely it won't make that much difference if they get it a little sweaty either sat on the bench or warming up???
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Re: Subs: why aren't they ready?
      Reply #1: Mar 10, 2015 11:22:41 pm
      because they don't need to yet
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #2: May 29, 2015 03:38:23 pm
      I think it's funny that they have to warm up at all.

There are no American sports (other than pitchers in baseball) where subs have to warm up prior to being inserted into the game. Take the NBA for example....some of those guys sit for long periods of time on the bench and then get put in the game on a moment's notice.

Always struck me funny to see soccer players do all of those orchestrated warm ups. It's almost like it's not about warming up at all but rather putting on some sort of show.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #3: May 29, 2015 10:11:16 pm
      I think it's funny that they have to warm up at all.

There are no American sports (other than pitchers in baseball) where subs have to warm up prior to being inserted into the game. Take the NBA for example....some of those guys sit for long periods of time on the bench and then get put in the game on a moment's notice.

Always struck me funny to see soccer players do all of those orchestrated warm ups. It's almost like it's not about warming up at all but rather putting on some sort of show.

You've clearly never played a competitive game of football before have you? Warming up is vital to ensure not only do you not injure yourself but also making sure that you don't go into a game cold which makes a huge difference (or it does for me anyway). I imagine the NBA players don't warm up because there is no space to and not because they don't want to?
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #4: May 29, 2015 10:18:56 pm
      You've clearly never played a competitive game of football before have you? Warming up is vital to ensure not only do you not injure yourself but also making sure that you don't go into a game cold which makes a huge difference (or it does for me anyway). I imagine the NBA players don't warm up because there is no space to and not because they don't want to?

Can you imagine how many injuries would occur if they just took of the trackie top and sprinted on to the pitch in Jan or Feb.Carnage
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #5: May 29, 2015 10:43:39 pm

Grew up playing basketball, I never needed to warm up and was ready at the drop of a hat. Never any injury issues either. To compare, basketball is similar to soccer in that it's a stop start type of sport. Players don't not warm up because of space, you think these teams would allow their players to not warm up if there was really any danger of injury? They don't warm up because it's not really necessary. It Is what it is, I just think it's funny.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #6: May 29, 2015 10:49:15 pm
      Grew up playing basketball, I never needed to warm up and was ready at the drop of a hat. Never any injury issues either. To compare, basketball is similar to soccer in that it's a stop start type of sport. Players don't not warm up because of space, you think these teams would allow their players to not warm up if there was really any danger of injury? They don't warm up because it's not really necessary. It Is what it is, I just think it's funny.

I'm not an expert on basketball so couldn't comment tbh, but it doesn't look like there is a lot of room because of the way the seats are so close to the game so losing room means losing money... But that's just my thoughts, plus they are in and out a lot so are 'warm' I suppose but then again that's not the case for everyone.

All I know is that it's vital for both performance and for health in football. And I imagine they don't wear the shirts because they have training tops designed and made for them (and need to sell them) so they'll have to wear the training gear for warmups. As you go lower down the leagues you'll see less and less of that because the games won't have as many eyes on them.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #7: May 29, 2015 10:52:31 pm
      I'm not an expert on basketball so couldn't comment tbh, but it doesn't look like there is a lot of room because of the way the seats are so close to the game so losing room means losing money... But that's just my thoughts, plus they are in and out a lot so are 'warm' I suppose but then again that's not the case for everyone.

All I know is that it's vital for both performance and for health in football. And I imagine they don't wear the shirts because they have training tops designed and made for them (and need to sell them) so they'll have to wear the training gear for warmups. As you go lower down the leagues you'll see less and less of that because the games won't have as many eyes on them.

Now I will say that it was harder for me to go from playing, to sitting to playing again than it was to just start playing cold.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #8: May 29, 2015 10:59:39 pm
      Now I will say that it was harder for me to go from playing, to sitting to playing again than it was to just start playing cold.

It would depend on how long the wait was for me... Not sure on how long the basketball players have to wait for.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #9: May 30, 2015 03:02:10 am
      It would depend on how long the wait was for me... Not sure on how long the basketball players have to wait for.

If you aren't very good it could be awhile ;D
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #10: May 30, 2015 09:04:52 am
      If you aren't very good it could be awhile ;D

Haha I'd be waiting a long time then, would probably need to warm up before coming on ;)

Quick Reply