Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match

Mignolet
      2 (2%)
      Can
      7 (7%)
      Skrtel
      0 (0%)
      Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Sterling
      0 (0%)
      Henderson
      88 (88%)
      Allen
      1 (1%)
      Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Lallana
      1 (1%)
      Sturridge
      0 (0%)
      Coutinho
      0 (0%)
      K Touré
      0 (0%)
      Johnson
      0 (0%)
      Lambert
      1 (1%)

Total Members Voted: 95

Liverpool 2:0 Burnley, In game and post match debate.

Read 25856 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Liverpool 2:0 Burnley, In game and post match debate.
      Reply #437: Mar 05, 2015 12:45:53 am
      Missed the game, again, but seemed like a comfortable win tonight.

Liked the look of Sterling, Lallana, Phil and Sturridge in the same side.

Did they play well together over the 90?

All looked good without really clicking (or needing to) in to 3rd gear. Sturridge was patchy as you'd expect but he took his header very well and could of had 2 more if not for Heaton making some good saves.

I think all of them had a touch in the first 30 seconds leading to a great chance for Sturridge which Heaton saved.

Can't really fault anyone today except for Moreno.
      luckylane
      • Forum Youth Player

• 19 posts |
      Reply #438: Mar 05, 2015 01:06:50 am
      Pleased for studge and his tenth goal in 10 games...Think in the odd games he doesn't score he gets far too much stick on here. Coming back from a 6/7 month lay off eager to please can lead to poor decision making or selfishness as others may put it.
      Pleased lovrens finally sorted his head out. when sakho returns it will allow can to move into midfield.
      Really proud of all the lads at the minute...an amazing side in the making. All young and all really talented.
      Well done Brendan your work is finally yielding results this season. Not just by winning games...but the manner in which we win them ;D
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #439: Mar 05, 2015 01:28:31 am
      A very professional display and we always looked like we had another couple of gears we could go through if needed. Tougher tests to come but confidence grows with every game which is a major boost for us right now. Just got to keep it up :)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #440: Mar 05, 2015 01:53:08 am
      Back from the game.  Thought we struggled for the first 15 minutes but after that it never looked in much doubt - even more so after the first goal.  Great display from Henderson.  Joe Allen, much to my amazement, continues to look like he has something to offer.

Coutinho looks desperate to become known as a man who only scores from outside the box.  Sturridge and Sterling a little off the pace - although Danny did eventually take his header well.  Lallana - continues to be an enigma.  The lad has got technical ability no doubt but just something missing - not sure it's a physical presence or just natural desire and determination.

As for Emre Can - what a player.  The lad is clearly a central midfielder - a commander on the pitch.  The only reason he looks decent in defence is because actually he is a superb footballer and could play anywhere.  Sooner we get the defence sorted, and let him dominate midfield the sooner he will get us 10-15 goals a season from there.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #441: Mar 05, 2015 02:24:39 am
      Something that stands out for me when Can plays is how quick he tries to get the defence to push out after clearing the ball, he's so quick and alert. It was good to see him have a good aerial performance tonight too, he's looked a little suspect in the air during certain parts of this season but he won some great aerial battles tonight.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #442: Mar 05, 2015 02:32:38 am
      Can is basically the first mid I've ever seen us buy who really wants to attack. Everyone I've seen us buy the past 5~ years has been to fill a role, has come in and out within 2 seasons, has come up from the academy to fill a role etc. Can is the midfielder everyone on every red forum has been crying out for. People would say "we need a big black beast" or "we need a German beast", well we got a beast Deutschlander.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #443: Mar 05, 2015 02:34:46 am
      Never mind that why no Balotelli instead of Lambert coming on, no one will ever convince me that Lambert is better than Balotelli.

It was a time wasting sub. Lambert didn't get a single touch of the ball. My theory is because Balo is playing on saturday and Lambert isn't. Both are just as good as the other in the job they needed to do (being a living body which can walk onto the pitch for half a minute) so use the one who won't be used next match for Lambert's sake as much as anything.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #444: Mar 05, 2015 04:48:48 am
      I enjoy in this season more and more,its getting better from game to game.Come on you boys in red!!!
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #445: Mar 05, 2015 06:17:30 am
      Why the needless dig at Lambert? Besides Lambert isn't exactly a 'prospect' is he?

For me, if we are to get Ins, the question should be "is he better than Borini?" who has been a "prospect" for a while now. On the evidence of this season, I would say definitely. He has been scoring in a  relegation team, Boring wasn't that great even with regular games at Sunderland.

Ideally, I'd want to get rid of Borini, Balo and Lambert in summer, get one top notch striker alongside Danny and Ins to provide competition for them.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #446: Mar 05, 2015 06:19:05 am
      Missed the game, sounds like we dominated and it was a comfortable victory.

glad we're putting these smaller teams away without a fuss, does good for the confidence. Hopefully gone are the days of 'banana skins'
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #447: Mar 05, 2015 06:22:24 am
      Emre and Hendo.

Loving it right now.

WTRWWAW

They are 2 young footballers who can really put this club back where they belong at the very top. Henderson is certainly making a good job of being captain and Can is providing the bite we have lacked in defence. Just got to hope they are here for the long haul.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #448: Mar 05, 2015 06:52:02 am
      I think it is just a matter of keeping this run going until the end of the season,  barring injuries etc there is no reason why a top 4 finish cannot be achieved.
      Darth Joe
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 846 posts | 31 
      Reply #449: Mar 05, 2015 07:10:56 am
      Coutinho looks desperate to become known as a man who only scores from outside the box.

Had the same thoughts, hope the recent media hype over his worldie goals hasn't got to his head.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #450: Mar 05, 2015 08:05:24 am
      Back from the game.  Thought we struggled for the first 15 minutes but after that it never looked in much doubt - even more so after the first goal.  Great display from Henderson.  Joe Allen, much to my amazement, continues to look like he has something to offer.

Coutinho looks desperate to become known as a man who only scores from outside the box.  Sturridge and Sterling a little off the pace - although Danny did eventually take his header well.  Lallana - continues to be an enigma.  The lad has got technical ability no doubt but just something missing - not sure it's a physical presence or just natural desire and determination.

I think that was the biggest surprise of the night - for me. He couldn't head for toffee last season and he himself admitted that it was an area of weakness.

In fact, come to think of it, I don't recall that many headed goals for us at all so far this season.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #451: Mar 05, 2015 08:05:43 am
      Had the same thoughts, hope the recent media hype over his worldie goals hasn't got to his head.

Faced with a wall of 6ft+ brick shithouse defenders all prepared to kick the legs off of our 5ft 7+ magician the temptation to unleash the odd Hollywood ball must be hard to resist, don't fight it Philippe.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #452: Mar 05, 2015 09:09:03 am
      Baring an FA Cup replay / re-arranged league game due to a semi final - that was I believe our last midweek game of the season.

Given that we have looked better last season (and on this current run) when Brendan has had longer prep time between games, we should really be now pushing for that CL place
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #453: Mar 05, 2015 09:14:20 am
      I think that was the biggest surprise of the night - for me. He couldn't head for toffee last season and he himself admitted that it was an area of weakness.

In fact, come to think of it, I don't recall that many headed goals for us at all so far this season.

Only other header from Sturridge i can recall ever is the point blank header against Newcastle when we lost at St James'.

Great leap and contact this time round.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #454: Mar 05, 2015 09:23:27 am

Don't want any mention of doing F**k all for the toffees round here mate.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #455: Mar 05, 2015 10:05:12 am
      Only other header from Sturridge i can recall ever is the point blank header against Newcastle when we lost at St James'.

Great leap and contact this time round.

4-3 win over Swansea. I think his 2nd of the game was a header
      LiverpoolBhoyo
      • On Trial

• 4 posts |
      Reply #456: Mar 05, 2015 10:18:03 am
      Did he not score a late header against Everton to get us a draw Last season. I'm sure he came on off the bench?
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #457: Mar 05, 2015 10:40:56 am
      Lallana so good you had to rate him twice  :f_tongueincheek:
      Poor Phil

Sorry haha meant to write Coutinho
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #458: Mar 05, 2015 11:23:48 am
      A professional performance last night. Controlled the game without getting out of second gear really.

As soon as we went 2-0 up we sat back a little bit and invited Burnley to have a go at us. A bit disappointing to watch but maybe Brendan has learnt his lessons after Palace away last season, even if that was just a freak game. We kept the ball well and ran down the clock.

I was critical of Henderson a lot earlier on this season but I'm giving the lad some credit now. A couple of great goals and assists recently and as ever he always puts a shift in. I had my doubts he was capable of taking the armband from Stevie but Jordan is slowly proving me wrong. Joe Allen looks very comfortable alongside him too. Another good game from him.

So gutted the mancs won last night, especially after seeing how they scored.  Keep going reds, we'll overtake them sooner rather than later.

RazorRedz
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 147 posts | 23 
      Reply #459: Mar 05, 2015 12:11:01 pm
       ;D

Great win last night solid all round and WHAT A HIT SON Hendo with his best Gerrard vs Olympiakos impersonation, made up for Danny to get on the score sheet brilliant work making the space for himself.
      Shame about them lucky Mancs though when we get hold of them their luck really will run out can't wait for sweet payback lets av it.

Quick Reply