Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Major League Soccer

Read 106295 times
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Re: Major League Soccer
      Reply #299: Aug 11, 2016 02:53:55 pm
      Not technically MLS, but in the semifinals of the US Open Cup, Dallas came back to win at LA. Dos Santos bought a penalty in extra time to go 1-0 up, but Dallas scored twice in the final 5 minutes of extra time to win. Thrilling comeback. The look on Bruce Arena's face when Dallas scored the winner... ;D ;D
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #300: Aug 12, 2016 05:00:40 pm
      ouch,6,000 in l.a.10,000 in New England.midweek cup semi-finals not a hot ticket then.F**k knows why they can't play on a weekend,even the final is midweek.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #301: Aug 12, 2016 06:52:29 pm
      ouch,6,000 in l.a.10,000 in New England.midweek cup semi-finals not a hot ticket then.f**k knows why they can't play on a weekend,even the final is midweek.

Even midweek playoff games aren't sold out. It's a real problem.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #302: Aug 15, 2016 12:55:59 am
      Seattle look like a different animal. Should have beat LA Galaxy, beat Orlando quite comfortably and they're doing the same against Real Salt Lake. They're 2-0 up after 38 mins. I like the look of Lodeiro.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #303: Aug 24, 2016 04:06:18 pm
      Sigi Schmid had Sounders' support, but 'give and take' with Clint Dempsey
      Sigi Schmid doesn't think he lost the Seattle Sounders locker room during his final days in charge, but he admitted that at times his relationship with star forward Clint Dempsey "wasn't as productive as it needed to be."

After Schmid was let go last month during his eighth season with the club, Soccer Wire reported that there had been considerable unrest inside the Sounders' locker room.

A 3-0 defeat at Sporting Kansas City was also pointed to as evidence that not all the players were on board under Schmid, but he told ESPN FC he still has considerable support within the team.

"I know I spoke to a lot of players after I got let go, who reached out. I didn't reach out to them, they reached out to me," Schmid said. "I think everybody is looking at the last game in Kansas City, and on a tough, hot, warm, humid day coming off an emotional, very hard loss in the Open Cup to the Galaxy. We gave the game away at the end.

"I think, yes, some guys didn't necessarily put in the their maximum effort in that particular game. I don't think I lost the locker room, but that's probably better for somebody else to say.

"You always have a few individuals that maybe don't respond as well as some other individuals do. That's common in any locker room."

The report singled out Dempsey, who arrived in Seattle in 2013, as being one of the players who was unhappy with Schmid, adding that the two weren't on speaking terms. Schmid said there was more give and take in the relationship.

"I think Clint is an immensely talented player, and there was a frustration there because of our inability to find him with the ball in higher positions up the field," he said. "As a result he came back [into midfield] and obviously you watch him play now with [new signing Nicholas] Lodeiro, and Lodeiro can find him, so now the wheels and the spokes are working a lot better.

"I think it was just a case that Clint is competitive and I'm competitive and we both want to win. We were each trying to do what we could do to make that happen. Sometimes it was productive and sometimes it wasn't as productive as it needed to be."

Under Schmid, the Sounders were 10 points out of a playoff spot and a record of six wins, two draws an 12 defeats. That was in stark contrast to his previous seven campaigns in Seattle, when the team made the playoffs every season, and won four U.S. Open Cups as well as the 2014 Supporters Shield.

The preseason departure of forward Obafemi Martins cut especially deep, as the team struggled to score goals with the same regularity as it had in the past.

But since Schmid's departure -- which coincided with the arrival of playmaker Lodeiro from Boca Juniors -- the Sounders have gone managed a draw with the Galaxy and then won their past three games, scoring nine goals under Schmid's former assistant Brian Schmetzer,

"I'm just disappointed that I didn't get a chance to coach Lodeiro," said Schmid, who was let go right as Lodeiro arrived. "Especially since I had talked to [Boca manager] Guillermo Barros Schelotto, and I obviously talked to Lodeiro at the beginning of the process to make sure he was interested in coming. That was disappointing."

Schmid said the self-belief the Sounders are playing with since Lodeiro's arrival is evident.

"Once a team gets confidence, medium-sized things become little things and little things disappear," he said. "When you're not playing well, when you're not getting results, the confidence goes and medium-sized things become huge and little things become large. So you've got to deal with that, but that's reality as well."

http://www.espnfc.us/seattle-sounders-fc/story/2935981/sigi-schmid-says-he-had-sounders-support-but-give-and-take-clint-dempsey-relationship
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #304: Aug 24, 2016 06:15:49 pm
      He 100% lost the locker room based on the performances they put in before he was sacked. Either that or his tactics were truly awful, maybe a bit of both?

Lodeiro has been quality for Seattle since Schmid left, always getting involved and creating chances. Dempsey seems to have had a new lease of life too. They're looking a great shout for the play-offs at the moment. 4 of their next handful of games are against teams around them in the league so they're all very much winnable.

I'll be glad to see them offload Valdez at the end of his contract too, what a waste of money he is no matter how much he earns.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #305: Aug 24, 2016 06:46:29 pm
      I've spent time in Vancouver and been to Whitecaps games but never been a proper fan.

They had a good season last year, anyone who follows the league want to give me an idea why they are suddenly so bad again?

I know they generally aren't good but last season they did.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #306: Aug 24, 2016 07:30:34 pm
      I've spent time in Vancouver and been to Whitecaps games but never been a proper fan.

They had a good season last year, anyone who follows the league want to give me an idea why they are suddenly so bad again?

I don't really know much about the Whitecaps but maybe you answered your own question...

"...they generally aren't good..." - maybe last season was a one-off?
      Firepool
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,274 posts | 224 
      • @Jenns_Design
      Reply #307: Aug 25, 2016 02:27:28 am
      At the Chicago Fire vs LA Galaxy. Hoping to see Gerrard play.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #308: Aug 25, 2016 10:33:51 am
      At the Chicago Fire vs LA Galaxy. Hoping to see Gerrard play.

Did you get your wish?
      Firepool
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,274 posts | 224 
      • @Jenns_Design
      Reply #309: Aug 25, 2016 12:50:46 pm

Not, he did not play. He wasn't even on the bench.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #310: Aug 25, 2016 04:51:27 pm
      Not, he did not play. He wasn't even on the bench.

Seattle Sounders were resting people too. Dempsey wasn't in the squad for them. Probably because of there being 3 games in a week.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #311: Aug 25, 2016 05:23:48 pm

It's a mixture of a few things. Good players underperforming, CONCACAF Champions League fatiguing guys, etc. Throw in the fact that it's weirdly impossible to be consistent in the league and you get a poor season.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #312: Aug 25, 2016 09:30:17 pm
      It's a mixture of a few things. Good players underperforming, CONCACAF Champions League fatiguing guys, etc. Throw in the fact that it's weirdly impossible to be consistent in the league and you get a poor season.

Okay, thanks for the insight.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #313: Aug 28, 2016 10:31:52 pm
      Seattle gone back to looking like sh*t. These defence looks like it belongs to a non-league team today.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #314: Aug 28, 2016 10:39:07 pm
      They're now 3-0 down after 28 minutes and the manager has changed F**k all. Their big derby game and they perform like this. They need some new defenders.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #315: Sep 08, 2016 07:58:36 pm
      Apparently Landon Donovan will be un-retiring and joining the Galaxy  :f_doh:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/soccer/la-sp-donovan-20160908-snap-story.html
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #316: Sep 29, 2016 01:58:31 pm
      Seattle's hopes of getting to the play-offs looked dead and buried a few months ago, now they have finally gotten themselves above the red line, into 6th and still with a game in hand.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #317: Sep 29, 2016 04:02:05 pm
      Seattle's hopes of getting to the play-offs looked dead and buried a few months ago, now they have finally gotten themselves above the red line, into 6th and still with a game in hand.

Nicolas Lodeiro has been massive, just massive for them! 8 assists in something like 810 minutes.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #318: Sep 29, 2016 06:07:16 pm
      Nicolas Lodeiro has been massive, just massive for them! 8 assists in something like 810 minutes.

I've not been able to watch their past 2-3 games because they've been on at like 3am here but I have seen him play for Seattle a few times and he looked so influential. They're going to need him going into the play-offs (should they get there) with Dempsey being ruled out for the rest of the season.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #319: Oct 24, 2016 04:35:14 pm
      Dallas won its first-ever Supporters' Shield and can be the first team to win the domestic treble if they win MLS Cup. But doing so without Mauro Diaz (torn Achilles) will be very difficult to overcome.

Both Portland and Columbus missed the playoffs, which is the first time that the two teams in the final last season failed to qualify. Portland are the first defending champions who failed to qualify.

Chicago became the first team to finish in last place 2 years in a row. If there was ever a reason for relegation, it'd be the Fire.

Other than that, here are the first round of playoff matchups, single elimination, which start Oct. 26 and 27:

West: LA (3) vs. Salt Lake (6) ; Seattle (4) vs. Kansas City (5)
      East: Toronto (3) vs. Philadelphia (6) ; D.C. (4) vs. Montreal (5)

Dallas (1), Colorado (2), NY Red Bulls (1) and NYCFC (2) get byes.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #320: Oct 24, 2016 05:39:25 pm
      Dallas won its first-ever Supporters' Shield and can be the first team to win the domestic treble if they win MLS Cup. But doing so without Mauro Diaz (torn Achilles) will be very difficult to overcome.

Both Portland and Columbus missed the playoffs, which is the first time that the two teams in the final last season failed to qualify. Portland are the first defending champions who failed to qualify.

Chicago became the first team to finish in last place 2 years in a row. If there was ever a reason for relegation, it'd be the Fire.

Other than that, here are the first round of playoff matchups, single elimination, which start Oct. 26 and 27:

West: LA (3) vs. Salt Lake (6) ; Seattle (4) vs. Kansas City (5)
      East: Toronto (3) vs. Philadelphia (6) ; D.C. (4) vs. Montreal (5)

Dallas (1), Colorado (2), NY Red Bulls (1) and NYCFC (2) get byes.

How Seattle managed to pull this one off after the shocking first half of the season they had is a series achievement for them. Lodeiro and Morris are a joy to watch. I hope that Seattle game isn't on at like 3am, I fancy watching them this week :D.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #321: Oct 24, 2016 05:53:23 pm
      How Seattle managed to pull this one off after the shocking first half of the season they had is a series achievement for them. Lodeiro and Morris are a joy to watch. I hope that Seattle game isn't on at like 3am, I fancy watching them this week :D.

Seriously, that Seattle comeback was ridiculous. The fact that they've done it without Dempsey because of his irregular heartbeat is impressive too. Lodeiro has been superb. I'd pencil him in as early MVP favorite for next season.

They're, hosting so that game would be 7 or 7:30 p.m. PT, so yeah you're not getting any sleep :laugh:

Quick Reply