Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Your favourite season

Read 7934 times
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Your favourite season
      Mar 06, 2015 05:47:25 pm
      A bit of fun nostalgia is called for amid all the ups and downs of current season. It's a simple one - what is your favourite season and why?

We've been blessed with the richest history in world football, so the choices are aplenty. I've been lucky enough to live through the 2005 triumphant season and the treble under Houllier. The 1977 and 78 seasons made history and 1959 seasons saw the coming of the great man himself. But I am going to go for the 1921/22 season. Why? We won the league and Manc got relegated... enough said. If I live to see such a season again, I will die and go to football heaven.
      CHOW87
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 53 posts |
      Re: Your favourite season
      Reply #1: Mar 06, 2015 09:45:01 pm
      85-86 for me. There was a lot of negative attention on the club after Heysel, and a lot of scrutiny on the club's first player manager. Defeat to Everton in February left dreams of a title looking unlikely, but 34 points out of 36 saw us pip our nearest and dearest rivals to the championship. As if that wasn't sweet enough, we beat them in the cup final to clinch our first double.

Plus that strip was the first football kit I ever bought.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #2: Mar 06, 2015 09:59:05 pm
      89/90 The season we won our last Championship. A huge 9-0 win over Crystal palace in Aldo's last game was the highlight for me, although there was the heartbreak of losing 4-3 to the same opposition in the FA cup semi-final the same year.
      My favourite players Rush, Barnes, Beardsley, Aldridge, Nicol, Hansen, Staunton, McMahon, Molby...... What a team!
      red79
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 111 posts |
      Reply #3: Mar 06, 2015 10:54:58 pm
      Allez Allez 2000-01 for me, treble winning season, enjoyed the fact we were challenging for trophies and won 3. Just loved being involved in all the cup runs as well as trying to finish in the top 4. I went to so many games that season, particularly enjoyed the UEFA cup nights on a Thursday!
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #4: Mar 06, 2015 11:07:00 pm
      Very odd this but last season was the most exciting painful thrilling that I can remember .
      Maybe it was just the fact we were chasing the title and pulverising teams with such a brilliant attacking team ,but,it kept me awake at night all consuming if you like.
      It has been a long time since I've felt like that.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #5: Mar 06, 2015 11:21:16 pm
      85-86 for me. There was a lot of negative attention on the club after Heysel, and a lot of scrutiny on the club's first player manager. Defeat to Everton in February left dreams of a title looking unlikely, but 34 points out of 36 saw us pip our nearest and dearest rivals to the championship. As if that wasn't sweet enough, we beat them in the cup final to clinch our first double.

Plus that strip was the first football kit I ever bought.

89/90 The season we won our last Championship. A huge 9-0 win over Crystal palace in Aldo's last game was the highlight for me, although there was the heartbreak of losing 4-3 to the same opposition in the FA cup semi-final the same year.
      My favourite players Rush, Barnes, Beardsley, Aldridge, Nicol, Hansen, Staunton, McMahon, Molby...... What a team!

Allez Allez 2000-01 for me, treble winning season, enjoyed the fact we were challenging for trophies and won 3. Just loved being involved in all the cup runs as well as trying to finish in the top 4. I went to so many games that season, particularly enjoyed the UEFA cup nights on a Thursday!

3 good calls there.

Hard to pick.

I remember the 89/90 season so vividly and was fortunate to get to a couple of games back then. That was the season we bounced straight back from the Michael Thomas winner at Anfield. Barnes was magnificent that season! Dalglish played his last cameo as a player manager against Derby County. The only downer was being KO of the FA cup at Villa Park by Palace, after annihilating them 9-0 at home earlier that season.

For all the talk of trophies around here being the measure in which to support a manager, I'm surprised Houllier isn't held in high esteem round here more. That was a great season too, loved it!
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #6: Mar 07, 2015 09:50:01 am
      78-79 for me.

78 was the first time I got taken to a few home matches.

79 was my first time of following the mighty redmen to Wembley for the Charity Shield.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #7: Mar 07, 2015 10:37:13 am
      2004-05 for me. The start of something new. Olympiakos, Igor Biscan and Djimi Traore (I'm not making fun of them by the way). Juventus, Chelsea !?! Meelan. Xabi Alonso, Luis, Cisse ... Gerrard of the Rangers . Seriously what a season.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #8: Mar 07, 2015 11:02:23 am
      72/73 season for me. 

It might seem an odd pick for some of you but this season I witnessed my first League Title, followed by our first European Trophy.

It was the start of a love affair that's seen too many gut wrenching, heartbreaking periods but has also brought the most unbelievable highs and is stronger now than ever.

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #9: Mar 07, 2015 11:09:02 am
      We've been blessed with the richest history in world football, so the choices are aplenty.
      Ain't that the truth ozi.  :nod:

And... even with all the talk, around here, about how important it is to merely qualify for the Champions league; I won't be surprised if no one mentions a trophy-less season. Anyhow...

My gut instinct is 1976/77 - the first season I got going to games on my 'own' (got to 9 or 10 that season) - won the League for the tenth time - last but not least... the first time we won the European Cup [the old name for the Champions League trophy; which, ironically enough, only actual Champions or holders could compete for]

The only real downer was losing to the scum in the F.A. Cup final and with it the chance of our first domestic League/Cup Double [I got into a row that night and was scooped for nutting a Manc - got off without a charge so every cloud and all that]  :laugh:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It would be a toss up for runner up [too close to call, in fact], between:-

1985/86 season... post Heysel - the season when Kenny, at only 34 and in his first season as boss, managed the club to our first domestic League/Cup Double [no mean feat back then] - the fact that we pipped the Blueshite to both trophies, shouldn't go without special mention either.  >:D

And...

200/01 season... Won all round us that season and I was lucky enough to have got to the FA Cup final in Cardiff. Gerard Houllier had the young 'dogs' straining at the leash that year, a young Ste Gerrard was F***ing immense and we played some amazing football. I remember a stirring finish to the League too - eventually finishing 3rd, with Champions League qualification to boot. 

---------------------------------------------------------------

All in all a nice thread mate - it's been good reliving a few of those memories.  8)
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #10: Mar 07, 2015 12:04:19 pm
      Very odd this but last season was the most exciting painful thrilling that I can remember .
      Maybe it was just the fact we were chasing the title and pulverising teams with such a brilliant attacking team ,but,it kept me awake at night all consuming if you like.
      It has been a long time since I've felt like that.

;D
       :nod:
       ;)
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #11: Mar 07, 2015 02:04:52 pm
      Last season because after years of hurt, we dared to believe.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #12: Mar 07, 2015 02:23:35 pm
      2004-05 without a shadow of a doubt
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #13: Mar 07, 2015 02:42:41 pm
      87/88, is by far my favourite, f***in awesome time to be a Red, I doubt we will match the dominance we held the rest of the league that season, we were simply unbelievably brilliant, and for me the best under the King,

"Poetry in Motion" the Originals,

Quite simply the best group of players assembled by Kenny,......

Grobbelaar
                              Ablett  Gillespie  Hansen(c) Nicol
                           Spackman McMahon Houghton Barnes
                                        Beardsley Aldridge

There were of course the likes of Dalglish himself(occasionally) Molby, Marsh, Staunton, Venison, Macdonald, Wark, Whelan,

The side above was the team who battered Forest 5-0 with a exhibition of football which was quite simply "Poetry in Motion", it was breathtaking football, a perfect example of pass & move, where everyone just clicked, the match was witnessed by the great Sir Tom Finney who said....

'it was the finest exhibition I've seen the whole time I've played and watched the game, you couldn't see it bettered anywhere, not even Brazil,the moves they put together were simply fantastic'

We only lost 4 out of 40 and we clinched the title with 4 games to spare, the only blips were Blueshite knocking us out of the league cup 1-0 at the shithole, and those crazy Womble bas**rds of Wimbledon getting extremely lucky at Wemberley, Aldo passing his penalty to Beasant gave me suicidal tendencies,

We were still under that Euro ban, but I have no doubt we would have conquered Europe aswell as the league, 'Poetry in Motion' indeed.

Fantastic team, Fantastic manager, Fantastic football.

YNWA

PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #14: Mar 07, 2015 06:09:12 pm
      For me its 2000/01 , was only 6/7 at the time but I used to go every cup/european game at home with me arl fella, back in that time all I knew was Liverpool winning.

Although we obviously never got the plaudits of the winning the league, last season comes close, some of the football we played and the way we went about our game, snotting 4/5 goals every game for fun, what a time.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #15: Mar 07, 2015 07:04:10 pm
      04-05 would be one for obvious reasons but aside from that I really enjoyed the 05-06 season. Looking back at the squad now it wasn't littered with greatness but driven on by the faultless displays of Reina, Carragher, Hyypia and Gerrard. From October 2005 onwards we were so hard to beat and our defence was as good as I can ever remember it. 10 years ago we didn't have that access so the radio coverage was as good as we could have hoped for. There was no chance in hell that my parents would buy Sky tv, and still no chance of that today (and with good reason!). Thankfully tuning in to Radio 5 Live week in, week out on a now badly dated analogue radio never let me down. In fact some of the greatest moments I've experienced with Liverpool have come through the airwaves (me and my brother will never EVER forget Olympiakos in December 2004!).

Of course that season was really made by out FA Cup success. It was phenomenal and entertaining from the first to the last whistle. An incredible match at Kenilworth Road against Luton, an unspectacular victory at Portsmouth followed by us defeating the Mancs at Anfield, utterly obliterating Birmingham 7-0 away and then beating Chelsea in a wonderful semi final at Old Trafford. And then that final against West Ham in Cardiff! Such great times and it sealed a fine return to domestic form for us as we'd really struggled on the domestic front during Houllier's last two seasons and Benitez's first season. We did the cup such a service that year with our performances, results and sheer entertainment!

It scares me that it'll be soon 10 years since that season. I was 14/15 that season and I hold so much nostalgia for it that it only feels like yesterday. For three weeks throughout the Christmas period I had been knocked down by a horrible bout of pneumonia (not attending school for 6 weeks) but Liverpool's form kept some spirit in tact! I was bed ridden, exhausted, couldn't speak, couldn't sleep because of discomfort. It's times like that where you just can't put a price on how much Liverpool means to you. Always a source of comfort.

Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #16: Mar 07, 2015 07:51:48 pm
      I was born in '94 so my choices are somewhat limited. Strangely enough, last season, where we didn't win anything, was by far the greatest level of feeling I've felt whilst following this great club. Ultimate highs, the ultimate low, but that's what it's all about really - feeling.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #17: Mar 07, 2015 08:20:03 pm

My gut instinct is 1976/77 - the first season I got going to games on my 'own' (got to 9 or 10 that season) - won the League for the tenth time - last but not least... the first time we won the European Cup [the old name for the Champions League trophy; which, ironically enough, only actual Champions or holders could compete for]

The only real downer was losing to the scum in the F.A. Cup final and with it the chance of our first domestic League/Cup Double.

I was going to post this season last night but something came up, I AGREE Though!

It was my last year in school, my best mate, a Manc (no fun when they stopped our march for the treble!) was giving it me in spades when they won the F.A.Cup but the following week was sweet when we won the European Cup in midweek!  (the look on 'Crazy horses' face when he lifted the giant trophy was a joy to behold !

I remember Keegan leaving in a blaze of publicity but what a replacement we got in King Kenny, a proven goalscorer for LESS money than we got for Keegan !
      We were on a march as a club, started wayback when Shankly took over and continuing with 'Sir Bob'
      The future was certainly something to look forward to!
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,610 posts | 2159 
      Reply #18: Mar 07, 2015 10:03:17 pm
      Cracking thread this and a difficult one to answer in many ways. I'm torn between selecting seasons where we were especially successful and seasons where I got to go to some great games. I was 16 when we last win the league and although I have been supported the reds since I was 6 (1980) you don't really appreciate things properly until you are that little bit older. My top four five are:

1/ has to be 2004-05. We may have had a lousy season in the league and seen a Stevie one goal take away the League Cup but May 25th, 2005 was by far the most emotional and drunken night of my life and I will never witness a more incredible game of football for as long as I live. Throw in the incredible comeback vs Olympiakos, the destruction of Juventus at Anfield and a consummate performance in Turin that was could have been the LFC of the 70s/80s. And then we had possibly the greatest ever performance by a crowd in the history of the game with the Kop roaring the lads on against the best side in the country. In modern times it can't be topped.

2/ tricky one but for me personally it has to be 2006/07. We might have failed to challenge for the league again but I was lucky enough to get to most of our Champions League matches that season (as well as our run to the semis the following year) and I will never forget the atmosphere against Barcelona in the last 16 and again against Chelsea in the semi-final. I was not fortunate enough to be there in 05 but I cannot imagine the noise and furvour could be more than a few percent up on the atmosphere of those two matches, the noise literally crackled and you felt like your head was going to cave in from all the singing, shouting  and swearing. I remember the Barca game, every now and then the stadium would stop singing for a minute or two, just to regain our breath and immediately the Barca fans would pipe up so you started singing again. It was the same with the Chelsea rematch, we had no right to be in the game after the battering we took at their place but they didn't stand a chance that night and by the time it got to pens I knew we would win it, the boos as every Chelsea player stepped up to take their kicks was deafening. There was something magical about Rafa's teams in Europe, we might have bottled it in the league most years but in Europe his record was incredible. The only unfortunate thing is that having experienced. If has like that, your typical Anfield atmosphere pales by comparison.

3/ 2001 - what a season! Treble winners and back in the Champions League. It was a monumental effort given the amount of games we played that year and what a great job by Jed to use the squad to such good effect. We had Sami and Henchoz at their best, a young Stevie covering every blade of grass, classy Gary Mac and a bit of everything up top with Robbie, Owen and Heskey all playing their part. And in true LFC fashion they put us through the mill. We had penalties in the league Cup, Owens smash and grab in the FA Cup and then a UEFA Cup final to give us all a nervous breakdown just a few days later. Incredible season that really put us back on the map, particularly on Europe, we beat some Foookin good sides to win the trophy that year getting past Olympiakos, Barcelona and Roma along the way (remember that dodgy penalty no it's a corner decision!)

4/ 2013-14 - the best football I have ever seen from the Liverpool side came last season, even better than the Beardsley, Barnes, Aldridge, Rush period which I remember so fondly from my childhood (hence my profile pic). Still hurts like hell to think how close we were to it last season, I never really believed or allowed myself to believe we could do it and then just as I did, we blew it. But to he back amongst the title race, I mean properly in it, not like 2009 where we were always behind during the run in, it was incredible. Fingers co roses we get to experience that feeling again.

5/ 2007-08. Not the most memorable for some but as in 06-07 I got to attend the majority of our Champions League fixtures that year. Unfortunately that did mean witnessing Jonny Riise's last minute own goal in the semi vs Chelsea which cost us badly BUT the previous round vs Arsenal was incredible and is probably the best game I have ever seen live, I got back at 4am that morning with the Torres song still ringing in my head, had completely lost my voice and was an emotional wreck! We also turned over Inter-Milan in the previous round winning 2-0 at home and finishing the job 1-0 over there. That was the season Torres arrived. What a player, I went that first home game when he skinned Alex to score against Chelsea and straight away know we had bought an absolute genius of a player. It was a pleasure to watch hi. That season.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #19: Mar 07, 2015 10:24:18 pm
      It's really interesting what makes a memorable season for different fans. I'm not surprised that most people go for a season that they have personal memories of. I went for 1921/22 season as a bit of tongue in cheek as Manc got relegated, but it was a significant year in that it was our first title after WW1 and after the great Tom Watson passed away. If we are going for experiences, then it's got to be the 89/90. I was just 10 and beginning to appreciate the passion for the club and it's a feeling I desperately want to feel as an adult. To be crowned the best team in the league would bring that 10 year old out in me again.

Having said that, I'm so glad to see people going for the unexpected. It doesn't have to be a trophy winning season to ignite the passion in a fan.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,008 posts | 3352 
      Reply #20: Mar 07, 2015 11:03:03 pm
      2000-2001.

Everything was great about that season. The best all round squad I've ever seen for Liverpool, quality throughout. Aged 10, watching us play breathtaking football. Some of my all time favourite players were in that squad. I've always loved Houllier. Thommo and Sammy Lee on the coaching staff.

It was as close to perfect an all round season I've witnessed. Going to every League and Cup game at Anfield that year helped as well.

And to top it off the homecoming. That wasn't as good as the one in 2005 but to see my all time Liverpool hero, Robbie Fowler, hold the FA Cup aloft round our streets of Liverpool 8 is an image I'll never forget.

All three Cup finals were dramatic in their own right. So were the semi-finals for that matter. Losing the first leg of the League Cup to Palace only to turn it round with a 5-0 hammering at our place with Igor getting his first Liverpool goal. The FA Cup upset on the cards with Wycombe and Lawrie Sanchez, obviously with Sanchez being the c**t who scored the most famous Cup final goal ever when Wimbledon beat us. And F**k me that game at Villa Park was tense. And who can forget the UEFA Cup semi-final against Barcelona. Keeping them out at the Nou Camp, bringing them back to Anfield on probably the greatest European night since St Ettienne in 77. Gary Mac's pen.

Beating United and Arsenal in the build up to Crimbo. The Arsenal one especially, one of Gerrard's most underrated strikes in my opinion. Doing the double over those blue bas**rds, with Gary Mac's last minute free kick - the day after the anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster. Gerrard and Fowler's goals against United at Anfield when we done the double over them too. Twatting Stoke 8-0 at the Britannia. (my first away game of that season). Ending the season with that 4-0 win at the Valley. Heskey's hat-trick against Derby and Paddy Berger getting the fourth in what was probably the best team goal all season. The trip to Prenton Park as they looked to knock out both sides from the city in that year's FA Cup after they'd beaten Everton. Jari Litmanen arriving in the January.

Too many memories from that season.

Biggest memory I have though is how I felt that summer. Going into me last year of primary school, knowing that I was finally going to see my club win the League. (unfortunately as we know it didn't quite pan out that way)

If Marty McFly or Doc Brown have a delorean spare, I'd go back to 2000-2001 right now.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,603 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #21: Mar 08, 2015 12:26:39 am
      Loved Evans and the 3-5-2.
      Loved Houllier's term before he had the heart problems.
      Loved Rafa before H&G destroyed everything.
      Loved Brendan pre Chelsea last season and post 3-4-2-1.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #22: Mar 08, 2015 01:27:39 am

Agree 100%
      Loved that team.
      No drama. Just pure team work with quality players throughout the squad.
      What a fantastic team we had.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,526 posts | 719 
      Reply #23: Mar 08, 2015 02:05:31 am
      1994/5 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCMV47iJJjc#

2000/01 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btkWNZe-FsA#ws

2005/6 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005%E2%80%9306_Liverpool_F.C._season

2008/9 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvULm9hx6Ec#

2013/14 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2oImGf1wBM#ws

Special shout out to the season Robbie Fowler came to the first team and scored 6 goals against fulham over 2 legs in the league cup in his first few matches.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #24: Mar 08, 2015 11:21:55 pm
      How can anyone suggest last season! Kidding of course...but it was the most gut-wrenching finalé ever. Refuse to watch any highlights from last season...hurt like hell. Never felt so deflated after anything in my life.

2004-05 for me.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,603 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #25: Mar 09, 2015 12:04:04 am
      How can anyone suggest last season! Kidding of course...but it was the most gut-wrenching finalé ever. Refuse to watch any highlights from last season...hurt like hell. Never felt so deflated after anything in my life.

2004-05 for me.

I have to watch this now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAOq9yR-7FU#

Game of Mellor's life. Goal and an assist.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #26: Mar 09, 2015 08:37:59 am
      1959/60 the arrival of Bill Shankly  to set this club on it's way to glory.
       !963/64 Our first league champions under the leadership of Shanks.
       !964/65 The first time we won the F.A. Cup, it set the town of Liverpool and Anfield alight, so many memories.
       Liverpool Supporters have so much to thank Bill Shankly, Bob Paisley, Joe Fagan,Kenny  Dalglish Houllier and Rafa for enriching our history by bringing so many  trophies to Anfield.
           So for me 1964/65 has to be the most memorable with the F.A. Cup coming to Anfield for the first time, it was also the season I won a L.F.C. raffle of all expenses paid to see the REDS play Chelsea in the semi Final at Villa Park. The atmosphere in Liverpool was electric when Big Ron and the lads did the tour of the city.
      « Last Edit: Mar 10, 2015 08:29:54 am by Billy1 »
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #27: Mar 09, 2015 04:14:53 pm
      Born in 87 so the 2001 treble season is up there for me. I was lucky enough to go both the league cup and FA cup finals and Michael Owens last minute brace was something I'll remember for the rest of my life.

The 2005 season was also special with our European success. The final itself was truly incredible but some great games leading up to it too.

But strangely even though we won nothing, last season was my favourite. The football we played was breath taking, certainly the best I've seen during my life time and Suarez is the best player I've ever seen in a red shirt too. We were consistently brilliant and it's the most excited I've ever been about a Liverpool team. Thoroughly entertained every week. The Moyes/Utd era was very amusing too....

GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #28: Mar 09, 2015 10:24:10 pm
      Born in '89 but it's really hard to choose from. The Treble Season was fantastic, UCL winning season (2005) was great. Also the 2009 one was the first where i was really hoping we'll win it.

But the last one was my favourite, and the one i'll always be bitter about it, we deserved to win it, just like in 2009, but various factors stopped us.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #29: Mar 10, 2015 08:02:22 am
      for me 1064/65 has to be the most memorable with the F.A. Cup coming to Anfield for the first time, it was also the season I won a L.F.C. raffle of all expenses paid to see the REDS play Chelsea

Ah a memorable year. It was also the year Earl of Wessex Harold met Duke William for the first time, leading to the most epic war. I'll never forget that year
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #30: Mar 10, 2015 08:31:11 am
      Ah a memorable year. It was also the year Earl of Wessex Harold met Duke William for the first time, leading to the most epic war. I'll never forget that year

I have fixed that for yer, that will teach me to put my specs on when posting.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #31: Mar 10, 2015 10:00:23 am
      it was the most gut-wrenching finalé ever. Refuse to watch any highlights from last season...hurt like hell. Never felt so deflated after anything in my life.
      Me too Crouchy, me too. It was a shitty feeling mate.

It was very nearly (but not) as bad as 1988/89 season - When we were beaten 2 - 0, at Anfield, in the last minute, of the last game of the season, by Arsenal... when even a one nil defeat would have seen us win the title to add to our earlier F.A. Cup win. "Gut-wrenching" is accurate but still doesn't do the feeling, I had, full justice mate.

Not a feeling I'd ever rate as either great or favourite but each to their own. Still... for anyone who's frame of references has last season exploits left them feeling good and believing again...

... imagine what it'll be like if/when we fulfil that potential, that "belief"... 2013/14 might just be displaced as your favourite season.   8)

The future's bright, the future is Red.  ;D

Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #32: Mar 10, 2015 04:02:49 pm
      So for me 1064/65 has to be the most memorable with the F.A. Cup coming to Anfield for the first time, it was also the season I won a L.F.C. raffle of all expenses paid to see the REDS play Chelsea

Frigging hell Bill, I know you're knocking on a bit, but really?

You're not THE William of 1066 fame - are you? You're right in remembering that Harold did play in red, but it was Hastings mate, not The Battle of Stamford Bridge. ;D
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #33: Mar 11, 2015 04:33:58 pm
      has to be last season performance wise we was probably in the top 5 teams around the world for performance value hence the huge TV pay out we got, shame we couldnt get Suarez to stay one more season as i think we would win it this season if we had kept  him.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,629 posts | 6939 
      Reply #34: Mar 11, 2015 05:18:02 pm
      87/88, is by far my favourite, f***in awesome time to be a Red, I doubt we will match the dominance we held the rest of the league that season, we were simply unbelievably brilliant, and for me the best under the King,

Can't disagree with this choice.  Had my first season ticket in 87/88 - team were stunning.  Arguably the best Liverpool side in my lifetime.  World class players in that side who would have shone on the European stage.

05,01 and 86 all in with a shout.

Quick Reply