Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Pre-Match - Swansea v Liverpool Mon 16th March 20:00 Kick Off

Read 11240 times
      LFC_Olly_91
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp
      • Started Topic

• 308 posts | 43 
      Pre-Match - Swansea v Liverpool Mon 16th March 20:00 Kick Off
      Mar 09, 2015 03:23:38 pm
      I know it's still a week away but with Gerrard, Sakho, Allen, Lucas, Flanagan and Jones all potentially back for this one, it will be interesting to see who people would pick for this one.

Ibe will still be a week or two away from being available. Enrique is still a mystery.

I would go with this side if all of the above are available for the game:

Mignolet

Can
      Skrtel
      Sakho

Sterling
      Henderson (c)
      Allen
      Moreno

Lallana
      Coutinho

Sturridge

Subs: Jones; Flanagan, Toure; Gerrard, Lucas; Markovic; Borini.

It will be interesting what Brendan does if all of the above are fit to play, he will have a few big decisions to make, especially across midfield.

:kop5cf8koxp6: 
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Re: Pre-Match - Swansea v Liverpool Mon 16th March 20:00 Kick Off
      Reply #1: Mar 09, 2015 10:25:49 pm
      Why Lallana and not Sterling in his place ? Why keep wasting Sterling playing him in a WBL/WBR role ?
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #2: Mar 10, 2015 10:05:09 am
      We have been found out with 3-4-3 the other day. Dont think Rodgers will play it again this season.

Mignolet

Johnson   Skrtel   Sakho   Moreno

Henderson    Allen

Gerrard
            Sterling              Coutinho

Sturridge
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3: Mar 10, 2015 10:55:15 am
      We have been found out with 3-4-3 the other day. Dont think Rodgers will play it again this season.

Mignolet

Henderson    Allen

Gerrard

Sturridge

What the F**k? :lmao:

All because we didn't score in an FA CUP GAME it means we won't play the formation again this season? Let's forget about all the games we have won with that formation eh (Spurs, Southampton City etc.) Don't be ridiculous!
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #4: Mar 10, 2015 11:15:07 am

Really? 

When were we found out? 

And why would we change from a system and formation that's seen us pick up more points than any other system this season?
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #5: Mar 10, 2015 11:21:26 am
      whats peoples thoughts on Flano being able to adapt to wing back?

IMHO, i think he'd be a great WB
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #6: Mar 10, 2015 11:25:01 am

Thats like not using your iPad again because it has a scratch...

I mean this in a positive way, but are you a child? Because if you are you its best you say now to avoid the full amount of stick you are likely to get for suggesting such a silly idea!!
      « Last Edit: Mar 10, 2015 11:37:19 am by JustMingle »
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #7: Mar 10, 2015 11:28:35 am

Nah don't think so mate.  He doesn't have the attacking play, he's very much a defender.  However he might be able to play in the RCB position if he can improve his 1v1 play.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #8: Mar 10, 2015 11:35:07 am

Mignolet

Henderson    Allen

Gerrard

Sturridge

Go back to bed it's obviously way to early for you!
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #9: Mar 10, 2015 11:38:00 am
      Nah don't think so mate.  He doesn't have the attacking play, he's very much a defender.  However he might be able to play in the RCB position if he can improve his 1v1 play.

Agree with that he doesn't really have the ability to beat a man. Can you imagine after the stick Markovic has been getting!
      RCB would be a good position as long as works a bit on his passing range, no issues with his defending
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #10: Mar 10, 2015 11:39:28 am
      With Markovic, Manquillo not delivering and everyone feeling Sterling can contribute more upfront, would this be the game BR plays our actual right back as the RWB?

Migs
      Can-Skrtel-Sakho
      Johnson-Hendo-Allen-Moreno
      Sterling-Coutinho
      Sturridge

Subs - Ward, Toure, Lovren, Gerrard, Lallana, Markovic, Lambert
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #11: Mar 10, 2015 11:40:04 am

I think the last thing we want to do at this stage of the season is experiment. Sooner continue using the ones we have rather than last season's most dribbled past defender in the league. See what he's like in pre-season in that position, or coming off the bench when a game is won but we can't afford to be taking unnecessary chances right now.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #12: Mar 10, 2015 11:48:05 am
      We're away to a side that likes to play football rather than park the bus. I'd stick with the 3-4-3 that's served us so well and the game is set up perfectly for it. If Lovren's up to the task, I'd ease him into a starting line up. I know Can didn't exactly fulfill our usual expectations last game, but neither did anyone else and it was difficult for him to make those long runs from deep when the opposition just sits back, so I'd stick with him in midfield. I'd go with

Mig

Lovren     Skrtl      Sakho

Marko           Can        Hendo     Moreno

Coutinho         Sterling

Studge

I only go for Sterling above Lallana because of his pace that could be very useful for a counterattack. It's a great headache to have when you have to choose between Couts, Lallana and Sterling for those AM slots.

JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #13: Mar 10, 2015 11:48:21 am

Is he tall enough to play that..? then again does he have to be? spose not..

answered my question there RD  :D
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #14: Mar 10, 2015 11:59:18 am
      Agree with that he doesn't really have the ability to beat a man. Can you imagine after the stick Markovic has been getting!
      RCB would be a good position as long as works a bit on his passing range, no issues with his defending

It won't be a natural position for him but he's a quick and willing learner so who knows.  Brendan has a knack for seeing things other coaches might not and use them to our advantage so let's hope he sees a future for Flanno somewhere as we all want a local to do well.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #15: Mar 10, 2015 12:03:09 pm

He's 5ft 11" so I'd say he is tall enough but I think it's more about how high can he jump? I'm not confident that he can beat a big guy in the air. His tackling is great although sometimes a little erratic. I guess we won't know how good he could be at RWB or RCB until he gets the opportunity.

It won't be a natural position for him but he's a quick and willing learner so who knows.  Brendan has a knack for seeing things other coaches might not and use them to our advantage so let's hope he sees a future for Flanno somewhere as we all want a local to do well.

I'd hate to see the lad let go for not being able to do enough going forward. We all saw what he was capable of at times last season when he was relied upon to do his job which was primarily to defend.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #16: Mar 10, 2015 12:50:58 pm
      He's 5ft 11" so I'd say he is tall enough but I think it's more about how high can he jump? I'm not confident that he can beat a big guy in the air. His tackling is great although sometimes a little erratic. I guess we won't know how good he could be at RWB or RCB until he gets the opportunity.

I'd hate to see the lad let go for not being able to do enough going forward. We all saw what he was capable of at times last season when he was relied upon to do his job which was primarily to defend.

I think the knack Brendan has for enhancing players strengths and minimising their weaknesses, he'll have something in mind for when Flanno's back but we're sending this thread way off topic discussing it in here.

Don't think we have anything to fear at Swansea.  They won't park the bus, they'll come out to play and that gives us the freedom we need to express ourselves.

For me, Sakho comes back in at LCB, Can returns to RCB and if Allen's not fit I'd like to see Jordan Williams getting a run out in midfield alongside Hendo.  Moreno back at LWB and if Marko isn't fancied at RWB then give Canos or Wilson a game so that Raheem can go back to playing behind the striker.  He's been too far away from goal playing at WB and that's hampered our attacking threat.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #17: Mar 10, 2015 01:01:43 pm

Mignolet

Henderson    Allen

Gerrard

Sturridge

Bahahaha.
      No.
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #18: Mar 10, 2015 01:01:48 pm
      What the f**k? :lmao:

All because we didn't score in an FA CUP GAME it means we won't play the formation again this season? Let's forget about all the games we have won with that formation eh (Spurs, Southampton City etc.) Don't be ridiculous!
      I commented on it in Blackburn thread. They did find how to exploit those pockets of space between our side centre-backs and wing-backs. Despite our sucess with it recently, its still quiet unortodox set-up with certain holes, esp. when you have attacking minded players like Sterling or Markovič on sides.

We´ve also become less dangerous going forward with opposing teams learning how to defend against it. Rodgers has shown flexibility in the past and I expect him to change things around making us less predictable for the final period of this season.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #19: Mar 10, 2015 01:04:14 pm
      I commented on it in Blackburn thread. They did find how to exploit those pockets of space between our side centre-backs and wing-backs. Despite our sucess with it recently, its still quiet unortodox set-up with certain holes, esp. when you have attacking minded players like Sterling or Markovič on sides.

We´ve also become less dangerous going forward with opposing teams learning how to defend against it. Rodgers has shown flexibility in the past and I expect him to change things around making less predictable for the final period of this season.

They became less dangerous because games and injuries have caught up with the players.
      Can needs to be at RCB.
      Sakho in at LCB.
      Moreno as wingback.
      Sterling back into the front 3.

The formation is only as good as the players in it.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #20: Mar 10, 2015 01:10:18 pm
      They became less dangerous because games and injuries have caught up with the players.
      Can needs to be at RCB.
      Sakho in at LCB.
      Moreno as wingback.
      Sterling back into the front 3.

The formation is only as good as the players in it.

Wouldn't be against this, however, I would find it difficult to drop Lallana as his pressing and work rate are immense. As much as I hate to say it, we should seriously consider dropping Sturridge and play Sterling up top.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #21: Mar 10, 2015 01:15:27 pm
      Wouldn't be against this, however, I would find it difficult to drop Lallana as his pressing and work rate are immense. As much as I hate to say it, we should seriously consider dropping Sturridge and play Sterling up top.

That'd be my call too.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #22: Mar 10, 2015 01:20:22 pm

It's an option to go back to Sterling up top but Studge still needs minutes if he's ever to get back to last seasons form, this season.  He's still basically in pre season in terms of match fitness, benching him won't help us later in the season.

Quick Reply