Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      77 (60.6%)
      Emre Can
      1 (0.8%)
      Martin Skrtel
      12 (9.4%)
      Mamadou Sakho
      1 (0.8%)
      Alberto Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Raheem Sterling
      0 (0%)
      Joe Allen
      31 (24.4%)
      Jordan Henderson
      4 (3.1%)
      Adam Lallana
      0 (0%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      1 (0.8%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)
      Steven Gerrard
      0 (0%)
      Glen Johnson
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 121

Voting closed: Mar 21, 2015 09:57:01 pm

Swansea City 0-1 Liverpool: In game and post match pleasure

Read 31828 times
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: Swansea City 0-1 Liverpool: In game and post match pleasure
      Reply #598: Mar 17, 2015 11:30:42 am
      So this wouldn't be one to watch on replay? I have it recorded.

Worth watching the full match to see the difference a switch in tactics made.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #599: Mar 17, 2015 11:35:35 am
      Swansea deserve great credit for the way they set up in the first half and stuck to their gameplan.
      They were much less effective when we matched them though, and Monk was unable to make the tactical tweaks needed to repeat their first half dominance, so credit goes to BR there.

I gave Allen motm. He made a couple of mistakes but overall had a very good game.
      Mignolet made a couple of decent saves, but in fairness I'd expect any decent 'keeper to make those, so Allen gets motm.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #600: Mar 17, 2015 11:49:29 am
      Lallana really has everything to be a top player: he's got pace, he's got flair, he can shoot, but there just seems to be something lacking... Maybe it's his decission making skills in the final third :?

Lallana has pace? Must not be the one that plays for Liverpool. Adam has a lack of pace.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #601: Mar 17, 2015 12:00:16 pm
      Back 3 were comfortable for most parts of the game again.
      :o
      Did you see just the 2nd half? Cos our back-3 were really really uncomfortable in the 1st. But for Migs and some last ditch tackles, we would've been easily 0-2 down
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #602: Mar 17, 2015 12:03:40 pm
      Thought Mignolet had one of his best ever halves yesterday.

Thought we were utter sh*t in the 1st half and pretty dour in the 2nd.

Tactically we were piss in the 1st half.
      My concern is, if Swansea can tactically trump us in one half, with an average bunch of players, what could a team of good players do?

Clearly the players struggled to improvise in the 1st half. I dont follow why it needed Rodgers to formally come out and say "you must change it".

Our movement and positioning was really bad in parts in the attacking aspect.

AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #603: Mar 17, 2015 12:16:16 pm
      I'm not a fan of Allen, and massively prefer Reina to Mign, but both had very good games yesterday.
      The back 3 were pretty good. But the midfield and attack movement and passing were largely sh*t.

Sturridge doesn't look fully fit. I think he's also struggling a bit without the space Suarez would give him.

Our win rate is very, very good this yr. But many games are very, very close. If teams start rumbling our tactics/one or two players, who knows what the effect could be. Infact who would have expected a shitty team like Swansea to dominate in the 1st half so much.

I cant understand why some people think being in a Europa Cup slot at this stage is something to applaud.
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #604: Mar 17, 2015 12:18:16 pm
      Overall, result was what we wanted it to be. We got a vital win and have moved closer to that ever illusive top 4. Few Shaky moments at the back. Didn't look comftable defending Gomis one bit, Can had one of his more apprehensive games. He appeared to try turn his body too easily, giving away easy and stupid fouls. He has been fantastic in that role but last night reminded me that he is, ideally, a midfielder, not a defender.

We kept running down blind alleys but to no avail. The main culprit of this was probably Lallana, who I rate but some times can look wasteful when he doesn't have space on the ball. We struggled to get Coutinho and Sturridge in to the game, our two most creative players. Sterling was being marked out by Taylor, certainly in the first half. One vital change came and that was when Stevie was brought on. We switched to the diamond in midfield and it opened the game up. Some will look at Hendo's goal and call it a fluke but I believe you make your own luck. I couldn't help but fear the fture if we are having to rely on Stevie to sure up the midfield a little.

Special mention to Mignolet. Some of his stops were outstanding and, quite frankly, if one of them wasn't saved, I really believe we wpould have struggled to draw or win the game. Swansea would have went 1-0 ahead and sat back to counter us with speed through Montero and Dyer. He came for corners well and one thing I liked to see from last night was when he made a save or had a vital role in the game, he would forget what had jhust happened and order his defence/midfield in to place.

Great result, was never going to be easy, especially with Gray Monk employing similar tactics to Brendan. I remember last season we drew 2-2 after being ahead. That was playing through my head last night, which made it extra impressive to get the win.

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #605: Mar 17, 2015 12:25:57 pm
      Thought Mignolet had one of his best ever halves yesterday.

Thought we were utter sh*t in the 1st half and pretty dour in the 2nd.

We were better than dour in the second half. I thought our performance improved massively which shows in the amount of possession we had and the amount of chances we created.

Tactically we were piss in the 1st half.
      My concern is, if Swansea can tactically trump us in one half, with an average bunch of players, what could a team of good players do?

First of all, lets not make Swansea out to be a League Two team. They're very good tactically and are a hard working team. We were the better team against Chelsea over two legs in the League Cup, we beat Man City, we beat Southampton (twice), we beat Spurs (twice), we dominated against Arsenal earlier in the season but somehow only got a draw etc. etc. So, those good teams you speak of, how did they fair?

Clearly the players struggled to improvise in the 1st half. I dont follow why it needed Rodgers to formally come out and say "you must change it".

Our movement and positioning was really bad in parts in the attacking aspect.

The manager is in charge, you don't start free-styling with tactics and formations on your own as a group of players. There is a reason why clubs appoint people to "manage" the club/team. Sometimes it's quite hard to change tactics and things in the first half because there are 11 players that you have to give instructions to. Unless there is a break in play for an injury then half time is usually the best time to change things round and that is what happened. We won so I'm not sure what your problem is...
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #606: Mar 17, 2015 12:31:00 pm
      :o
      Did you see just the 2nd half? Cos our back-3 were really really uncomfortable in the 1st. But for Migs and some last ditch tackles, we would've been easily 0-2 down

Swansea had lots of possession but I never felt like they were threatening much.

Lallana's strike in the first half around the 30-35 min mark was the first shot on target. At that point we had 3 attempts and Swansea had 0.

Mignolet made a couple of decent stops but I'd expect that in a PL game.  The back 3 did alright I thought.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #607: Mar 17, 2015 12:32:51 pm
      Infact who would have expected a shitty team like Swansea to dominate in the 1st half so much.

I cant understand why some people think being in a Europa Cup slot at this stage is something to applaud.

Nobody in the league underestimates Swansea. And they are nowhere near shitty. I dunno how do you really 'rate' teams and their performances? Based on money and big signings??
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #608: Mar 17, 2015 12:34:33 pm
      Swansea had lots of possession but I never felt like they were threatening much.

Lallana's strike in the first half around the 30-35 min mark was the first shot on target. At that point we had 3 attempts and Swansea had 0.

Mignolet made a couple of decent stops but I'd expect that in a PL game.  The back 3 did alright I thought.

:lmao: Am I really reading what I'm reading? They were profligate in finishing but quite threatening with their incisive passing and attempts on goal
      Tadders

• 6,723 posts | 566 
      Reply #609: Mar 17, 2015 12:41:05 pm
      Swansea are one of the best teams in this league and continually dominate possession against almost everyone. So lets be honest this was a very, very good result. The performance going forward was one of the worst in a long time.

MOM for me was Skrtel who was fantastic. Sakho continues to worry the F**k out of me, and Can is ok. Migs did what a decent keeper should do, keep out saveable shots. He is not great at commanding the area, distribution or catching the ball, but he is getting better.

The players who played well; Migs, Sktrel, Allen, everyone else was pretty sh*te - so 3 points and a clean sheet at a very difficult venue is very good - we don't normally do that do we?

ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #610: Mar 17, 2015 12:48:22 pm
      Infact who would have expected a shitty team like Swansea to dominate in the 1st half so much.I cant understand why some people think being in a Europa Cup slot at this stage is something to applaud.

Jesus, where did you crawl out of? You seemed to disappear after Christmas (coincidentally, when we started on our winning streak). I didn't see the game but sounds like we struggled...is that what it is? You sensed blood and decided to make your come back hoping you can have your "I told you so" moment?

For a start, Swansea beat Utd, City lost to Burnley, Chelsea scraped a 1-0 against West Ham and were held to a 1-1 draw at home to Burnley a couple of weeks back...all good teams go through tough patches. And Nnobody as far as I can recall, especially on these forums, is settling for or celebrating an EL place, so I'm not sure what the point you're making is.

If teams start rumbling our tactics/one or two players, who knows what the effect could be

I've seen much evidence this season that when teams effectively counter our tactics, we have managed to alter it to win the games, so I have confidence that our tactics won't just be "rumbled" given we have more than one.

I'm genuinely struggling to understand you as a "fan" mate. You are negative to the core about almost anything to do with Liverpool. You haven't posted anything in the past couple of months when we've been winning with this only post simply being a negative one without celebrating any of the wins. I get you're anti-FSG and I get you're not a massive fan of BR, but to simply refuse to celebrate our up turn in fortune and great run negates any argument you make to claim yourself to be a genuine fan.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #611: Mar 17, 2015 12:56:13 pm
      Went for Allen as MOTM as I thought he was very good again, covered lots of ground and made a few vital tackles.  Migs not far behind him, but really suppose what you should expect on the whole from a "top" keeper.

Seemed very tentative in the first half, but looked much better after the break.  Don't forget this is a Swansea team who recently beat Utd, and they are generally fairly good at home.  Personally I enjoy the hard fought, ground out results - it shows strong character.

As for the goal fortunate as it may have been, it really came as a direct result of the substitution, with Hendo only there after being pushed higher up.

Finally getting fed up with commentators and the idea that Sakho is bad on the ball.  After a couple of early fluffs, and he has been out a while, thought he did ok.  He just look a bit ungainly (like a giraffe) but he is no worse than any other centre back.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #612: Mar 17, 2015 01:12:50 pm
      Went for Allen as MOTM as I thought he was very good again, covered lots of ground and made a few vital tackles.  Migs not far behind him, but really suppose what you should expect on the whole from a "top" keeper.

Seemed very tentative in the first half, but looked much better after the break.  Don't forget this is a Swansea team who recently beat Utd, and they are generally fairly good at home.  Personally I enjoy the hard fought, ground out results - it shows strong character.

As for the goal fortunate as it may have been, it really came as a direct result of the substitution, with Hendo only there after being pushed higher up.

You could say that about any top player in any position to be fair though. It's irrelevant how good that player is, if they've had a top game then they deserve to be commended for it. I do agree with your assessment of Allen's performance though, think he was one of our two best players in the game.

Finally getting fed up with commentators and the idea that Sakho is bad on the ball.  After a couple of early fluffs, and he has been out a while, thought he did ok.  He just look a bit ungainly (like a giraffe) but he is no worse than any other centre back.

It makes me laugh how those same commentators never mention how bad other centre backs in the league are on the ball.

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #613: Mar 17, 2015 01:33:26 pm
      :lmao: Am I really reading what I'm reading? They were profligate in finishing but quite threatening with their incisive passing and attempts on goal

It's not as if they had half a dozen one on ones and ballooned them all over the bar is it.

Swansea had a lot of possession but did little with it. At half time I think they had 6 attempts at goal and 2 shots on target - we had the same.

I didn't feel like we would concede last night despite how sh*te we were.
      marska43
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts | 14 
      Reply #614: Mar 17, 2015 02:18:27 pm
      What a tale of 2 halves. First half we were as bad as ever. Passing was absolutely terrible, as well as the pressing and defending. Migs and Skrtel (Joe Allen to an extent) played well and that is about it. Can was shocking in that first half as e was beat almost every time someone came near him. His lack of urgency when he gets beat is worrying at times. Studge was isolated and a bit lazy, and Couts and Lallana were useless. Then comes the 2nd half and a new Liverpool team comes out. Back to basics and we hit our stride. Fortunate with the goal, but well deserved. Defense settled in, and Joe Allen really stepped up. He looks so confident and comfortable on the ball. Sterling came alive, although his end product with passing is still lacking. Lallana improved, and I still do prefer him in that spot vs. Sterling. Lallana provides more in my opinion as a whole: pressing, passing and shooting. Enough time has passed now where Studge should no longer look rusty. Needs to find those pockets to run in to. Much credit should be given to BR: wonderful substitution w/ Stevie, and that could be something to go forward with as we essentially had a diamond again in that midfield. Migs MOTM, followed closely by Skrtel.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,678 posts | 3699 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #615: Mar 17, 2015 03:25:12 pm
      you are back for the OP on Sunday YES ?

I will try my best mate.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #616: Mar 17, 2015 06:37:27 pm
      A crucial victory in a dangerous match. Very happy to see Sahko return to the team and Gerrard left on the bench.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #617: Mar 17, 2015 07:19:29 pm
      Win 1-0 and the keeper is MOTM by a country mile. That says it all actually. Saved by a fantastic goal
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #618: Mar 17, 2015 07:31:46 pm
      That first half was squeaky bum time, much better in the second half after a change of tactics. Hard earned three points.
      redrox
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 578 posts | 13 
      Reply #619: Mar 17, 2015 07:33:54 pm
      Must admit I always have a feel of dread when we play Swansea don't know why just do, made up to get the 3 points especially after seeing us in the 1st half (where I was honestly thinking I'd take a draw right now) some nice saves of Simon he's looking more confident, good performance off Joe as well.
      Looking forward to the match Sunday a win again please lads (but more of a hammering if possible so I can wind the hubby up  ;) )
      YNWA!!
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #620: Mar 17, 2015 10:18:41 pm
      I watched the goal many times over, many said it was a lucky goal, no it was never a lucky goal. We made our own luck, through sheer determination Hendo burst forward, pressured the opposition defender and the defender had to make a last second attempt to clear the ball heading towards goal and it ricocheted off the defender's legs into goal.

We simply made that goal, had Hendo stopped running or paused for a moment or dribbled into the box, it would never had resulted in the goal.

I would like to see more of these surging runs towards goal and defenders don't like to defend against teams that play thisway as it gives them no time to reorganise or re-act to and I'm sure we're going to score a few more crucial goals like what we have seen in this game. Starting with Utd.
      « Last Edit: Mar 18, 2015 11:55:26 am by redkop63 »

Quick Reply