Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Is 3-4-3 dead or is it just tired...?

Read 2244 times
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Is 3-4-3 dead or is it just tired...?
      Mar 24, 2015 10:05:34 am
      I know this subject is referenced in post and pre match threads but I feel we need dedicated thread for the team formation.

3-4-3 was the key to our massive turn-a-round not so long back but the last 2 or 3 games shows at best its limitation and at worst, maybe it’s been found out.

The formation change at half time at Swansea made the difference and we went on to get all three points. Against Utd, I believe a point at least was on offer after the half time change had Stevie stayed on the pitch on Sunday.

My question is, it time to start with the “halftime” change, rather than waiting to play bad or be a goal behind? or, play something different totally…?

For me, 3-4-1-2 with Sterling supporting Sturridge and Coutinho playing as the out and out No10 role or maybe going to back to a 4 at the back (not what I want but just throwing it out there).

I think the next 2 weeks or so, Brendan needs to look at alternatives because I genuinely feel it should no longer be our default line up anymore. Over to you guys

If this doubles up on a similar thread Mods, feel free to move it on and apologies …
      No.7 the king
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Re: Is 3-4-3 dead or is it just tired...?
      Reply #1: Mar 24, 2015 12:33:29 pm
      I still believe if Gerrard hadn't been sent off on Sunday that Man U would have tired and we would have started to dominate the game, pretty much the same happened to Swansea.

The 3-4-2-1 is effective, that has been evident since December. Now teams are closely analysing our system means they are having to push players higher up the pitch and pressing at a very high tempo. This should be our focal point and not changing the system. We should look at keeping solid at the back but managing to expose the opposition being higher up the pitch. Southampton were good under Pochettino at this against us and BR masterminded a counter attack performace at St Marys last March where Sturridge and Suarez split the pitch and looked at attacking the areas between the CB and the FB.

Maybe the 3-4-1-2 could be effective if the 2 up top played in the same areas stretching their defenders and allowing Coutinho space behind the 2 attackers.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2: Mar 24, 2015 07:17:53 pm
      or has it been "sussed out"?

Hmm Sounds familiar.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #3: Mar 25, 2015 04:44:31 pm
      No its not look at our record since opting for it yer it took a game or two to settle into it but we've not been losing deploying this system. sometimes a team is just up for it more than the other team and heads drop and they get the mental edge. i think we gave up chasing the ball 1st half v Scum and then the sending off meant we had to continue chasing the game.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #4: Mar 26, 2015 04:59:48 pm
      Its strange, I watched the Swansea game on Sky and Gary tw*t was saying how hard it was to play against the 3-4-3 system. I was thinking "ofcourse it aint, you just prepare for it, and target its weaknesses"

Formation is only part of the story. A good formation might get the best out of a team/squad. It might be a good tactical surprise against a particular team. But ultimately formation needs good players, good preparation, fitness and tactics etc.

Our 1st 11 isn't that good, its top 5, maybe top 6. And formations will only take us so far. After seeing Swansea do well (a pretty avg team), now other teams willf ancy their chances more. Its like a psyhcological barrier has been broken down vs us.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,352 posts | 2818 
      Reply #5: Mar 27, 2015 05:50:55 am
      It's to do with the players for me like I mentioned in another thread. In the last couple of weeks a lot of them have dropped off.

Can looks lost compared to a month ago, Henderson is inconsistent without Lucas alongside him, Allen is hit or miss, Sterling is being moved around too much, Ibe is injured, Markovic and Moreno are now F***ing hopeless at wing back and Lallana has been terrible since Sturridge has returned (in fact I'd even say that Coutinho doesn't play as well when Sterling isn't up top).
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #6: Mar 27, 2015 06:42:00 am
      It's to do with the players for me like I mentioned in another thread. In the last couple of weeks a lot of them have dropped off.

Can looks lost compared to a month ago, Henderson is inconsistent without Lucas alongside him, Allen is hit or miss, Sterling is being moved around too much, Ibe is injured, Markovic and Moreno are now f**king hopeless at wing back and Lallana has been terrible since Sturridge has returned (in fact I'd even say that Coutinho doesn't play as well when Sterling isn't up top).

I have got to agree with you chats, it is up to the manager and coaching staff to sort out the players heads. It is no good players playing blinders one week then rubbish the next, they have to learn to be consistent.

Quick Reply