Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

Key Players?

Read 5364 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Key Players?
      Mar 30, 2015 01:28:48 pm
      After being at the match yesterday and seeing the quality of players who have left the club for various reasons, which players currently with us do people think are our Key Players going forward?

Key players for me being those who will be the core strength of our squad for the next 2 to 3 seasons. 

Please don't start talking about transfer windows, who should go and who should arrive or where we need to strengthen or about the transfer committee or Brendan or about money wasted.  I'd appreciate it also if people can refrain from jumping on someones choices if they don't agree.

My list is

Skrtel
      Sakho
      Moreno
      Can
      Allen
      Hendo
      Lucas
      Markovic
      Lallana
      Coutinho
      Sturridge
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,313 posts | 2810 
      Re: Key Players?
      Reply #1: Mar 30, 2015 01:34:58 pm
      Skrtel, Sakho, Henderson, Coutinho, Sterling.

Finding it hard to put Sturridge down purely due to the amount of games he's been missing. Can and Ibe will both be on my list in a year's time I'd guess, both just need some more time to develop.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2: Mar 30, 2015 01:44:26 pm
      Skrtel, Sakho, Henderson, Coutinho, Sterling.

Finding it hard to put Sturridge down purely due to the amount of games he's been missing. Can and Ibe will both be on my list in a year's time I'd guess, both just need some more time to develop.

I was a bit undecided on Sturridge too mate but added him more in hope that a good rest and a proper pre season will mean less games lost in future.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #3: Mar 30, 2015 01:54:56 pm
      Still unsure on Markovic and haven't seen as much potential from him in comparison to the likes of, Ibe, Flanno, Moreno and Can.

Lallana just seems to be struggling to settle in adapting to our system fully for me, but has shown glimpse of what he's capable of, but also, been poor at times too. Next season, I would prefer to see 2 up top, so I think Lallana would be more of a supporting cast.

I believe Skrtel and Lucas are in their prime, Skrtel for another 2 season and Lucas, well, he was never about pace, was he? I believe he should be given a new contract and should be here for at least, 4 seasons. His experience is also vital.

Despite Allen not being everyone's cup of team, I believe he's capable of covering for either Henderson or Lucas at a high standard. Let's not forget that he's only 24 as well. I see him as a key squad player rather than first 11 player for now.

We all know about Sturridge and he could be a key for years to come, but that's down to whether we can manage his injures and keep him fit. I would be interested to know how they kept Robben relatively injury free, maybe we should look into that and perhaps, have Sturridge on a less intensive training regime?

Can, Sakho and Coutinho are no brainers. And if Sterling & Henderson does sign, they'll be in this group :)

Would also mention Mignolet, seriously, he has shown how good he can be last few months, and if he carries on progressing, he'll be yet another key player for us.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,246 posts | 6364 
      Reply #4: Mar 30, 2015 02:07:48 pm
      Skrtel
      Sakho
      Can
      Sterling
      Lallana
      Coutinho
      Henderson
      Lallana
      Sturridge
      Ilori
      Ibe
      Markovic
      Allen
      Origi

Jury is out for me on Moreno, waffled on whether to include him.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #5: Mar 30, 2015 02:18:17 pm
      After being at the match yesterday and seeing the quality of players who have left the club for various reasons, which players currently with us do people think are our Key Players going forward?

Key players for me being those who will be the core strength of our squad for the next 2 to 3 seasons. 

Please don't start talking about transfer windows, who should go and who should arrive or where we need to strengthen or about the transfer committee or Brendan or about money wasted.  I'd appreciate it also if people can refrain from jumping on someones choices if they don't agree.

My list is

Skrtel
      Sakho
      Moreno
      Can
      Allen
      Hendo
      Lucas
      Markovic
      Lallana
      Coutinho
      Sturridge

Key players for me are one's that I have confidence in when they're on the pitch or believe there's a chance for significant improvement:

Migs

Enrique
      Moreno
      Flanagan
      Skrtel
      Toure
      Can
      Sakho

Lucas
      Coutinho
      Ibe
      Sterling
      Markovic
      Henderson

Sturridge

Sure we have the likes of Lallana/Allen/Lambert/Balotelli/Lovren/Borini who most would classify as squad players but I'm personally tired of "squad player" being the definition of someone who isn't good enough to rely upon. A squad player should be pushing the first teamer, none of those mentioned actually push the first team players at all they're just fillers imho.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,246 posts | 6364 
      Reply #6: Mar 30, 2015 02:47:03 pm
      Lallana is a starter most games, he's not a squad player.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,205 posts | 1208 
      Reply #7: Mar 30, 2015 02:52:20 pm
      Players who I think will be absolutely at the heart of side in the next 2/3 seasons are:

Skrtel, Sakho, Can, Henderson, Coutinho, Sterling (if he stays), and Sturridge

I think Mignolet, Moreno, Lovren, Allen, Ibe, Markovic, and Lallana can all play an important role in the first team and are without question good enough to be part of the squad. Two or three of them may end up joining that group of key players above. I think Lucas, whilst not being ''key'', can also be an important part of the squad, though by virtue of age, injury history and limited abilities I don't think he has the same potential to join the ranks of the above players in a team that has aspirations of challenging for the major trophies.

Ilori and Origi are largely unknown quantities to me.

The remainder is a mixture of potentially reliable squad players, youngsters, older players who are past their prime and will be moved on, and Mario Balotelli.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,161 posts | 4902 
      Reply #8: Mar 30, 2015 06:42:08 pm
      Sakho
      Can
      Hendo
      Coutinho
      Sterling
      Skrtel
      Sturridge

For me that is our very best players and the one's I'd be fighing tooth and nail to keep if anyone ever came in for them.

That's not to say there aren't others who I think are important players but the above is our absolute key, should start every game, type players.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #9: Mar 30, 2015 07:00:18 pm
      Skrtel
      Can
      Sterling
      Hendo
      Lucas
      Lallana
      Coutinho
      Sturridge

If we're talking two to three seasons only then this is my list. Markovic doesn't make the cut and needs to be moved on in my opinion. As does Moreno who is a younger version of Johnson insofar as he can't defend. Sturridge has a big question mark over him. He's a goal machine but can he go through a season without injury? The rest of the players not mentioned would be limited to squad player status only. To be clear though, this does not in any way mean I think we should keep these players if we're able to sign better in their respective position and these players should then move to squad status and the squad players moved on. We should be continually looking to improve our team.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #10: Mar 30, 2015 07:26:53 pm

My list is

Skrtel
      Sakho
      Moreno
      Can
      Allen
      Hendo
      Lucas
      Markovic
      Lallana
      Coutinho
      Sturridge

If you're talking about the quality thats left, then I can't think of anyone at the level of Luis, Nando, Masch, Xab, Pepe etc.

Sterling, Ibe, perhaps Can could reach that level sooner rather than later. But the rest just strike me as good PL players, wouldn't get in Bayern, or Real etc. Wouldn't look too good for Everton, Spurs and the like. Maybe Markovich will become a star. Sturridge is, but for his fitness problems. Maybe Coutinho will become a Silva or an Oscar type.

As for the defenders, well Lovren (I do rate the player,unlike some), Sakho, Skrtel are good solid players. But its not like they're standout superstars likesay Kompany has been, or R Ferdinand/Terry etc in the past.

But all the rest... would anyone be gutted if they left? I dont think so.
      So other than Sterling (and he's debateable) we simply dont have any stars left, WHATSOEVER.
      So I dont really see anyone who's a "key player".
      Its just a squad thats fairly balanced, thin on depth and quality, and one of solid performers, rather than dazzling key men.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #11: Mar 31, 2015 09:41:57 am
      A key player for me is a player who can open opposing defences ,that is providing Brendan gives him the key of course. :laugh:
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #12: Mar 31, 2015 10:43:40 am

My list is

Skrtel
      Sakho
      Moreno
      Can
      Allen
      Hendo
      Lucas
      Markovic
      Lallana
      Coutinho
      Sturridge

"Key players", (for me debs:)

Mignolet - top teams need a keeper on top of his game. Good performances for him are 'key'
      Skrtel - experience and first choice.
      Sakho - him and Skrtel together are a mighty fine paring.
      Henderson - chances are he'll be one of our 'senior' players soon enough: the engine room.
      Can - big & strong: something we will need.
      Coutinho - as he matures he'll become even more consistent (like all young uns really): the flair.
      Sterling - this lad (much like Couts) is a proper, intelligent footballer. Couple that with pace and skill to burn... you've got the real deal. A superstar in the making.
      Sturridge - keep him fit and we'll only need one top quality forward.

A nice, quality, spine. 8)

Others might step up but (for now) I don't believe too many would be missed should they not play.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,161 posts | 4902 
      Reply #13: Mar 31, 2015 11:02:34 am
      "Key players", (for me debs:)

Mignolet - top teams need a keeper on top of his game. Good performances for him are 'key'
      Skrtel - experience and first choice.
      Sakho - him and Skrtel together are a mighty fine paring.
      Henderson - chances are he'll be one of our 'senior' players soon enough: the engine room.
      Can - big & strong: something we will need.
      Coutinho - as he matures he'll become even more consistent (like all young uns really): the flair.
      Sterling - this lad (much like Couts) is a proper, intelligent footballer. Couple that with pace and skill to burn... you've got the real deal. A superstar in the making.
      Sturridge - keep him fit and we'll only need one top quality forward.

A nice, quality, spine. 8)

Others might step up but (for now) I don't believe too many would be missed should they not play.

I forgot about the keeper Mouse and I'd add him so mine and your lists are the same.

For me they are our 'must play' players.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #14: Mar 31, 2015 12:11:44 pm
      yesterday? the charity game? why is this thread being made after that.. shouldn't we wait until seasons end
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #15: Mar 31, 2015 01:01:54 pm
      Not sure what makes a key player. John O´Shea was a key player for United for many years imo. Filling in left, right and centre anytime there was an injury or suspension and doing a job. Nothing spectatular, but if he wasnt in the squad the drop in quallity by picking up some youngster would be huge, or they would of need to reshuffle the winning formula. So for me, even a versatile squad member could be a key player as proven many a time in the past.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #16: Mar 31, 2015 04:02:57 pm
      Not sure what makes a key player. John O´Shea was a key player for United for many years imo. Filling in left, right and centre anytime there was an injury or suspension and doing a job. Nothing spectatular, but if he wasnt in the squad the drop in quallity by picking up some youngster would be huge, or they would of need to reshuffle the winning formula. So for me, even a versatile squad member could be a key player as proven many a time in the past.

Ahem! Manc alert!!!!!!
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #17: Mar 31, 2015 04:10:40 pm
      hah! Couldnt think of any LFC utillity player who´s got 5PL titles and another 8 major trophies under their name. Shame on me! 5+8, swear I had to google it!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,161 posts | 4902 
      Reply #18: Mar 31, 2015 04:36:04 pm

Any player that you think is 'key' to us having success.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #19: Mar 31, 2015 05:13:24 pm
      hah! Couldnt think of any LFC utillity player who´s got 5PL titles and another 8 major trophies under their name. Shame on me! 5+8, swear I had to google it!

But it shows you don't need a team of superstars to consistantly win medals.  A bit like the "utility" players LFC used to have in it's ranks in our glory days.

Would have been more appropriate if you'd just said "we don't have any" or "I can't think of any in our current squad" or maybe just not posted anything rather than bringing a mancs name to the Kop Forum!!
      hobbes2702
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 569 posts | 34 
      Reply #20: Mar 31, 2015 11:51:14 pm
      If you're talking about the quality thats left, then I can't think of anyone at the level of Luis, Nando, Masch, Xab, Pepe etc.

Sterling, Ibe, perhaps Can could reach that level sooner rather than later. But the rest just strike me as good PL players, wouldn't get in Bayern, or Real etc. Wouldn't look too good for Everton, Spurs and the like. Maybe Markovich will become a star. Sturridge is, but for his fitness problems. Maybe Coutinho will become a Silva or an Oscar type.

As for the defenders, well Lovren (I do rate the player,unlike some), Sakho, Skrtel are good solid players. But its not like they're standout superstars likesay Kompany has been, or R Ferdinand/Terry etc in the past.

But all the rest... would anyone be gutted if they left? I dont think so.
      So other than Sterling (and he's debateable) we simply dont have any stars left, WHATSOEVER.
      So I dont really see anyone who's a "key player".
      Its just a squad thats fairly balanced, thin on depth and quality, and one of solid performers, rather than dazzling key men.

Coutinho is already better than Oscar.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #21: Apr 01, 2015 03:38:16 pm
      But it shows you don't need a team of superstars to consistantly win medals.  A bit like the "utility" players LFC used to have in it's ranks in our glory days.

Would have been more appropriate if you'd just said "we don't have any" or "I can't think of any in our current squad" or maybe just not posted anything rather than bringing a mancs name to the Kop Forum!!

But football is very different to our glory days. In that era we'd buy the star player from Spurs and Arsenal, and Chelsea/Man C were just a joke. Manc Utd  werent miles ahead in terms of player investment. Apart from Keegan, we wouldnt DREAM of selling a star abroad. (And even he was replaced by megastars like Kenny, Souness+others).

We rarely had more than one serious competitor for the title.
      And most of all, teams were limited to the non national players they could sign. (Altho British counted as English).

As soon as Italian clubs started buying foreign stars, our era was over.

So I dont see how you can get anywhere today without lots of stars ie top quality players.
      Infact even in our glory era we had LOADs, relative to the opposition.
      Lawro, Hansen, Thommo, Souness, Dalglish, Rush were all good enough for any team in the World.
      And we might only use 14/15 players in the whole season!

Yet all we have today is Sterling... perhaps in a yr or so's time.

In relative terms, we're so far behind the glory era its unreal.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #22: Apr 01, 2015 06:27:32 pm
      Hendo
      Sahko
      Coutinho
      Sturridge
      Sterling

Quick Reply