Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Europa League participation - yes or no?

Read 23652 times
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Re: Europa League participation - yes or no?
      Reply #161: Jun 02, 2015 09:39:37 pm
      Yes.

Enter every trophy you can.

Win them all.

Welcome to Anfield.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #162: Jun 02, 2015 11:47:20 pm
      European football until nearly Christmas, even if it is only the Europa league. At least it will give the squad   Rodgers  some experience of European football at a lower level.

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #163: Jun 03, 2015 08:37:44 am
      European football until nearly Christmas, even if it is only the Europa league. At least it will give the squad some experience of European football at a lower level.

We had that experience this last season and made utter tw*ts of ourselves, inexperience in Europe will no longer be an acceptable excuse.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #164: Jun 03, 2015 10:10:24 am
      Most of the players are playing at international level. They should be able to compete in the Europa ffs.

If we get a kind draw with not too many eastern European teams we will be ok in terms of tiredness, and the old thursday-sunday senario.
      Binomial
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 885 posts | 37 
      • Doing things over and expecting different results
      Reply #165: Jun 03, 2015 08:25:47 pm
      Most of the players are playing at international level. They should be able to compete in the Europa ffs.

If we get a kind draw with not too many eastern European teams we will be ok in terms of tiredness, and the old thursday-sunday senario.

no you're right, just like the kind draw we had in the CL we were meant to ease past

oh wait....
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #166: Jun 03, 2015 08:41:03 pm
      He could well be on the road to mission impossible.

See stuff like this I don't understand. Sevilla have won the Europa League for the last 2 years, there's nothing impossible about it.

Sure our league form may suffer but at the end of the competition there's CL entry anyway.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #167: Jun 03, 2015 09:39:30 pm
      I wouldn't be taking this too seriously, infact I would advocate an approach which English teams haven't used before. I'd go into it with essentially a B team, and if Mike Marsh/Colin Pascoe are assistants worth their salts I'd let them take the helm. As it is, we have to IMHO be totally prepared to go out of this early, we ought to be playing guys who can't get a game in the senior team (had it been this season, Balotelli, Borini, Toure, Enrique, Manquillo etc along with the up and coming kids, Sinclair, Rossiter etc). Now obviously if we DO progress, we can always start getting interested once it gets going a bit.

I think it would be bonkers though to get too heavily involved in it early doors, it's league form we need and it should IMHO purely be used as a platform to support that, not as a parallel competition for the same players to play in.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #168: Jun 03, 2015 09:54:52 pm
      I wouldn't be taking this too seriously, infact I would advocate an approach which English teams haven't used before. I'd go into it with essentially a B team, and if Mike Marsh/Colin Pascoe are assistants worth their salts I'd let them take the helm. As it is, we have to IMHO be totally prepared to go out of this early, we ought to be playing guys who can't get a game in the senior team (had it been this season, Balotelli, Borini, Toure, Enrique, Manquillo etc along with the up and coming kids, Sinclair, Rossiter etc). Now obviously if we DO progress, we can always start getting interested once it gets going a bit.

I think it would be bonkers though to get too heavily involved in it early doors, it's league form we need and it should IMHO purely be used as a platform to support that, not as a parallel competition for the same players to play in.

Surely Mick if we do not intend to be winners why go in for it in the first instance. We are very lucky these days with the squad system clubs have. Europe has not affected the likes of Barcelona, Real Madrid and Bayern and those clubs play more games over a season than we have done in recent seasons.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #169: Jun 03, 2015 10:46:19 pm
      Surely Mick if we do not intend to be winners why go in for it in the first instance. We are very lucky these days with the squad system clubs have. Europe has not affected the likes of Barcelona, Real Madrid and Bayern and those clubs play more games over a season than we have done in recent seasons.

European competition is set up for the Champions League. They play Tuesday and Wednesday, while the Europa League also rans get shunted onto Thursday. Also in the Europa you end up playing ordinary teams in half empty stadiums in games nobody gives a flying f*ck about. I would also have to point out Billy that while I admire your nostalgia, we are about as different to Real Madrid, Barcelona and Bayern Munich as Accrington Stanley are to us, in squad strength anyway. 

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #170: Jun 04, 2015 02:46:30 am
      European competition is set up for the Champions League. They play Tuesday and Wednesday, while the Europa League also rans get shunted onto Thursday. Also in the Europa you end up playing ordinary teams in half empty stadiums in games nobody gives a flying f*ck about. I would also have to point out Billy that while I admire your nostalgia, we are about as different to Real Madrid, Barcelona and Bayern Munich as Accrington Stanley are to us, in squad strength anyway. 

Mick our players might not have the football skills of teams mentioned but they should have the fitness to play the extra games in Europe. That fitness level is down to Rodgers and the coaching staff, plus the fact we are supposed to have a squad system. Are you telling me that Rodgers has failed totally with the players he has brought in to the club. If players are not capable of playing 2 games a week then maybe they should look at playing other sports.
      Thanks for the nostalgia quote Mick but how did Bill Shankly manage to go through a whole season using only 14 players on first team duty. Could it be that the players were fitter then and had the desire to be in the first team,unlike some of our present squad who are happy to sit on the bench.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #171: Jun 04, 2015 09:28:54 am
      ...... but Rodgers cant deal with two games a week.

The tactical switching around in one game a week hurts his brain.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #172: Jun 04, 2015 09:37:11 am
      ...... but Rodgers cant deal with two games a week.

The tactical switching around in one game a week hurts his brain.

I can't argue with that Skip after our European results last season.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #173: Jun 04, 2015 09:38:21 am
      Mick our players might not have the football skills of teams mentioned but they should have the fitness to play the extra games in Europe. That fitness level is down to Rodgers and the coaching staff, plus the fact we are supposed to have a squad system. Are you telling me that Rodgers has failed totally with the players he has brought in to the club. If players are not capable of playing 2 games a week then maybe they should look at playing other sports.
      Thanks for the nostalgia quote Mick but how did Bill Shankly manage to go through a whole season using only 14 players on first team duty. Could it be that the players were fitter then and had the desire to be in the first team,unlike some of our present squad who are happy to sit on the bench.

Well said.

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #174: Jun 04, 2015 09:50:41 am
      Only problem for me and Europa Cup, is my 7's game kicks off at 8 every thursday.

Need to see about getting a 7pm kick off. ;D
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #175: Jun 04, 2015 09:56:18 am
      Only problem for me and Europa Cup, is my 7's game kicks off at 8 every thursday.

Need to see about getting a 7pm kick off. ;D

Don't worry we don't tend to hang around very long, just your kick off time as it is   ;)

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #176: Jun 04, 2015 09:59:45 am
      Don't worry we don't tend to hang around very long, just your kick off time as it is   ;)

haha. true enough.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #177: Jun 05, 2015 12:12:55 pm
      we NEED to win this or get the final to raise our name back again in Europe
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #178: Jun 18, 2015 02:34:30 pm
      Draw for Group stages, is end of August.

Then we will see fixture list changes as well, which might effect that mad 7 away game run we have. might get worse with an away game to middle of nowhere added for Europa. ;D
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #179: Jun 18, 2015 03:10:19 pm

What the hell makes you think we can win anything under the custodians we have the misfortune to be under?
      Both competitions are out of our league.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #180: Jun 18, 2015 03:13:43 pm

Our name is Europe is just fine. It's our play that needs raising.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #181: Jun 18, 2015 03:22:11 pm
      What the hell makes you think we can win anything under the custodians we have the misfortune to be under?
      Both competitions are out of our league.

;D true.

Let's start with a decent run, firtsly getting out group stages.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #182: Jun 18, 2015 03:49:33 pm
      ;D true.

Let's start with a decent run, firtsly getting out group stages.

I agree, lets play the first 128 games, and then lets worry about where we are!! ;D
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #183: Jun 18, 2015 04:25:02 pm
      I agree, lets play the first 128 games, and then lets worry about where we are!! ;D

;D.

I never said anything about worrying, thats bad for your health.

Quick Reply