Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

Europa League participation - yes or no?

Read 23790 times
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Re: Europa League participation - yes or no?
      Reply #46: May 18, 2015 07:31:41 am
      Quote from 5timesacharm
      Yet the season we where in it we finished outside the top four. The season we weren't we almost won the title. It doesn't get much more statistically proven than that. In 2012/13 season, last time we where in the Europa League, we failed to win a single match following a Europa League game.

The season before, we were out of Europe, finished 8th in the league, and Kenny was dispensed with. Not really much help, was it?

Everton are where they should be. If it isn't good enough for them, that's their own fault, not UEFA's.

Quote from Del Boca Vista
      I reckon they will though, if the same players are played every Prem game and every Europa game they will fatigue mentally and physically. Imagine if we made the Europa next season. Would you really want Mignolet, Skrtel, Sakho, Moreno, Flanagan, Henderson, Allen, Sterling, Coutinho, Sturridge, Lallana etc. playing two games a week? Of course not. Do we have the depth to rest a bunch of them for the Prem whilst progressing in Europe? Definitely not.

They'll play the games they're scheduled to play, whether they want to or not. After all thesignings last summer, we currently have a squad that is built to deal with two games a week. Of course, that doesn't mean the reserve players are good enough, but again that's not UEFA's fault.

Quote from MarkMitt
      It's only the self righteous premier league that believes the Europa league is a waste of space. Virtually every other nations teams involved tries their utmost. And don't forget, English teams in the CL haven't fared particularly well in recent history. This elitist nonsense is what is ruining the game in this country and making us non competitive.

Unfortunately, we're going to have to listen to plenty of rubbish about not wanting to play in Europe for several months. One pundit said this weekend that having to play every three days was a nightmare. Just as well he doesn't play golf, tennis, or cricket for a living.

We're almost guaranteed to be back in Europe, and we need to be. Playing Saturday-Tuesday/Wednesday-Saturday/Thursday-Sunday is the same gap between games, and full-time professional athletes travelling in first class on every trip, should be able to cope with the demands of it. If they can't, there are always clubs like Newcastle to play for, where the nearest you'll get to Europe every year is Southampton.
      Arshad 4pool
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 47 posts | -1 
      Reply #47: May 18, 2015 07:48:39 am
      answer is big NO in my humble opinion.
      reason: go back to last year; we nearly won the league when we had no Europe, at this moment our squad strength ( or the lack of it) doesn't allow us to compete properly in European competitions
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,550 posts | 3906 
      Reply #48: May 18, 2015 08:05:10 am
      F**k yes!!! We should go in like Sevilla and make it a F***ing priority
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,498 posts | 1759 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #49: May 18, 2015 09:06:32 am
      Yes Yes Yes Yes !!!

& YES !!

We should always want to be in Europe, if not champions league then Europa, We need European footi, our coeficient has took a pasting over the years, only way that will get better is by playing and hopefully winning.

Would love us to win a 5th Europa Cup next season. Very difficult but why not we are LFC.

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,498 posts | 1759 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #50: May 18, 2015 09:11:53 am
      I remember too well the decline our club had without European participation.

It's vital to our club that we maintain presence in any European football.

Too many young apprentices on forums foget we were banned from Europe after Heysel, that actual started the decline of our dominance.

So to me it's a disgrace to even utter the words `we are better of out of Europe`, it's a privilage and part of LFC's hearbeat to be in Europe, we are the most successful British Team in Europe, and we want to stay that way, so we need to be in Europe every season.

also as somebody else mentioned Some of the game will be very usefull to blood younger players and get them experience of europe.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #51: May 18, 2015 09:30:08 am
      Too many young apprentices on forums foget we were banned from Europe after Heysel, that actual started the decline of our dominance.

So to me it's a disgrace to even utter the words `we are better of out of Europe`, it's a privilage and part of LFC's hearbeat to be in Europe, we are the most successful British Team in Europe, and we want to stay that way, so we need to be in Europe every season.

also as somebody else mentioned Some of the game will be very usefull to blood younger players and get them experience of europe.

Not only do our youngsters need blooding but Rodgers too if he is still here, disastrous campaign in both European competitions this season.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,498 posts | 1759 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #52: May 18, 2015 09:37:50 am
      Not only do our youngsters need blooding but Rodgers too if he is still here, disastrous campaign in both European competitions this season.

Very true.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #53: May 18, 2015 09:43:07 am
      No.

The bread & butter needs our attention, along with domestic trophies first.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #54: May 18, 2015 09:59:41 am
      All for the competition. Liverpool has a proud European history, whether it be the main competition or its little brother. It served us well in the past and if we take it seriously, can do again. Seriously, I don't understand this snobbery toward it. It's only PL teams that moan about it. Athletico have done very well out of it in recent years and have even pushed on.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #55: May 18, 2015 10:01:26 am
      Yes Yes Yes Yes !!!

& YES !!

We should always want to be in Europe, if not champions league then Europa, We need European footi, our coeficient has took a pasting over the years, only way that will get better is by playing and hopefully winning.

Would love us to win a 5th Europa Cup next season. Very difficult but why not we are LFC.

It would be the 4th if we were to win it...

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #56: May 18, 2015 10:34:10 am
      There can only be one answer to this, YES! Win the Europa and we get Champions League football the following season. When the prize is so big you can't refuse.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #57: May 18, 2015 10:49:34 am
      I'm I missing something here?

Liverpool Football Club, is a football team whose goal is to win things, not pick and choose what glamour competitions we wish to compete in.

I was talking to waltonl4 in another thread and we got on to the Central League, a competition we use to win more often than not. We have won it more than any other team. Even back in the day, we went out to win EVERYTHING. Now some of you want to pick and choose.

If we are only good enough for the Europa League, then that is the cup we should be aiming to win, there is no point in throwing the dummy out of the pram because we did not qualify for the CL, and if that is the case, then saying I don't won't to play in the EL, is just crass.

Why then play in the League Cup, or even the FACup?

As for 'blooding' the youngsters, well, on Saturday's display some of our '1st' team need blooding, as does the F***ing manager.

It has been very clear this season, when it comes to European football/matches, we are way out of our depth, playing staff and management.

We did not have a clue how to beat those poor 2nd rate teams, and you can extend that to the EPL as well.

The only way to get experience, to have experience. Not wanting playing in this is just moronic.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,580 posts | 6916 
      Reply #58: May 18, 2015 11:58:29 am
      Liverpool's players need all the practice of playing competitive games they can get.

5th for me.

May be our only route back into the Champions League.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #59: May 18, 2015 12:02:10 pm
      Remember our first Uefa cup it was the start of something really special.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #60: May 18, 2015 12:07:06 pm
      No.

The bread & butter needs our attention, along with domestic trophies first.

I disagree mate.

You could get into a cycle of missing out one year just to get back in the following one but ultimately still achieving nothing.

In Europe every season for me and the players and manager need to adapt even if it means using fringe players for League Cup and early EL games.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #61: May 18, 2015 12:15:02 pm
      its clear we struggled with the standard of the CL so this is the best way to get used to European competition and now without Stevie.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #62: May 18, 2015 12:16:52 pm
      its clear we struggled with the standard of the CL so this is the best way to get used to European competition and now without Stevie.

Yep. That's why I don't buy the theory that being out of it for a season will help as well just be back in the following one.

If the manager struggles to coach and manage the side for two games a week he may as well give up now as that is what he has to get used to at this club.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,790 posts | 2446 
      Reply #63: May 18, 2015 12:29:55 pm
      Depends on how many players we sign over the summer.

If we make 5/6 quality additions then we might have a squad capable of winning it.

Otherwise no as we won't win it and it will hamper our top 4 chances considerably.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #64: May 18, 2015 12:49:50 pm
      I disagree mate.

You could get into a cycle of missing out one year just to get back in the following one but ultimately still achieving nothing.

In Europe every season for me and the players and manager need to adapt even if it means using fringe players for League Cup and early EL games.

The pragmatic in me says otherwise.

We could get into the cycle of adding the grueling Europa cup comp and still end up fifth with no trophies - ala this season. Didn't work out too well did it.

Time for us to take stock here I think. We need to maximise our potential to win a trophy and or challenge for the title, just as we did last season in the league, without Europe. Even an average Man U side have gained from no UEFA cup football by scally-wagging their way into fourth. Maximising our time, focus and attention onto the bread & butter of what also made us famous is the most pressing concern for me. Top spot in England should be our priority, we should be putting our name back on the domestic map. I can only envisage a long arduous campaign in the UEFA cup to be an unwanted and unnecessary distraction.

It's will be 26 yrs since we won the holy grail, 13 since the UEFA? If I think missing out on the UEFA would give us a cat in hell's chance to win the league then I need to go with my gut feeling, no matter how much of a glutton for punishment I am.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,905 posts | 4969 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #65: May 18, 2015 01:02:57 pm
      If LFC qualify for a competition of any description we should go all out to win it no matter what,

Last seasons euro campaign was a f***in disaster truth be told, however this season the players and manager are more experienced and should be better prepared,

I think we should take the EC very seriously despite having to play Thursdays Sundays & Mondays, the experienced gained is incalcable and will stand us in good stead further down the line.

YNWA
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #66: May 18, 2015 01:06:21 pm
      The pragmatic in me says otherwise.

We could get into the cycle of adding the grueling Europa cup comp and still end up fifth with no trophies - ala this season. Didn't work out too well did it.

Time for us to take stock here I think. We need to maximise our potential to win a trophy and or challenge for the title, just as we did last season in the league, without Europe. Even an average Man U side have gained from no UEFA cup football by scally-wagging their way into fourth. Maximising our time, focus and attention onto the bread & butter of what also made us famous is the most pressing concern for me. Top spot in England should be our priority, we should be putting our name back on the domestic map. I can only envisage a long arduous campaign in the UEFA cup to be an unwanted and unnecessary distraction.

It's will be 26 yrs since we won the holy grail, 13 since the UEFA? If I think missing out on the UEFA would give us a cat in hell's chance to win the league then I need to go with my gut feeling, no matter how much of a glutton for punishment I am.

I do get your point Beer but I just think we can do both if we prioritise 7, 8, 9 players who simply don't even travel for Europe games and League Cup.

Allow the manager and fringe players to gain experience in Europe but the main and possibly only real focus is on the league.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,196 posts | 6348 
      Reply #67: May 18, 2015 01:12:45 pm
      Don't understand why everyone is so "either or" about this.

We should do well in ALL competitions, there should be no talk of one campaign hurting the other. We have a deep enough squad, some marquee additions and we should have more than enough firepower to do well no matter what competition we are playing in.

Silly talking about not being able to compete on multiple fronts, just silly...what have some of you become?
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #68: May 18, 2015 01:13:33 pm
      I do get your point Beer but I just think we can do both if we prioritise 7, 8, 9 players who simply don't even travel for Europe games and League Cup.

Allow the manager and fringe players to gain experience in Europe but the main and possibly only real focus is on the league.

If we enter a cup mate, we should be in it to win it. And I don't think we have the squad to do that (leave 7, 8, 9 players at home), I mean players like Lallana, Coutinho, Can, Sahko, Ibe probably do need that European experience but how would leaving players like that at home, resting them for Premiership games help them - presuming you don't want to save the 'kids' Rossiter et al for the league games?

Quick Reply