Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Europa League participation - yes or no?

Read 23801 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Re: Europa League participation - yes or no?
      Reply #69: May 18, 2015 01:16:31 pm
      If we enter a cup mate, we should be in it to win it. And I don't think we have the squad to do that (leave 7, 8, 9 players at home), I mean players like Lallana, Coutinho, Can, Sahko, Ibe probably do need that European experience but how would leaving players like that at home, resting them for Premiership games help them - presuming you don't want to save the 'kids' Rossiter et al for the league games?

So then if they need the European experience, I presume you mean for when were back in CL, then what do we gain by not being in EL next season and thiset players are thrown back into the main competition?

I want us to be in Europe and figure out how to deal with it when we get there rather than be in one year out the other as I think that achieves nothing.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,385 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #70: May 18, 2015 01:16:44 pm
      We are talking about a competition where the prize apart from a trophy is qualification to the holy grail, access to the champions league. Everton are sh*t, europa league or not. A definite yes for me, a total no brainer.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #71: May 18, 2015 01:20:25 pm
      So then if they need the European experience, I presume you mean for when were back in CL, then what do we gain by not being in EL next season and thiset players are thrown back into the main competition?

I want us to be in Europe and figure out how to deal with it when we get there rather than be in one year out the other as I think that achieves nothing.

I think this team has to cut it's teeth in England first.

The league is my priority.

I'll leave it there, as it's just my honest opinion.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #72: May 18, 2015 01:25:27 pm
      Jesus F***ing wept I never thought I'd see Liverpool fans opting not to play in Europe.

How the F**k are we ever going to learn how to compete on 4 fronts, playing and winning high intensity matches every few days if we're not programmed to believe that's normal for elite footballers?

How can these young players learn what's expected of them at this Club if we give them a bye until they're old enough or good enough?  In fact how the hell will they ever be good enough if they're not playing against the best?

How can a Manager of Liverpool Football Club ever expect to keep his job if he's not capable of organising his coaching sessions to cope with games every few days as well as the travel involved?

It really beggars belief that we've fallen so far that any European Football is considered too much for this Club  :mad:
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #73: May 18, 2015 01:29:17 pm
      YES

We must compete in ALL front if we can.  :aaliverpool2xt1: :aaliverpool2xt1: :aaliverpool2xt1: :kop5cf8koxp6: :ernaehrung004:
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1760 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #74: May 18, 2015 01:29:57 pm
      It would be the 4th if we were to win it...

ah ffs. my bad as they say, for some reason Ive had 5 & 4 in my head. getting old I am, fogetting stuff I am. ;D
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1760 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #75: May 18, 2015 01:31:02 pm
      I'm I missing something here?

Liverpool Football Club, is a football team whose goal is to win things, not pick and choose what glamour competitions we wish to compete in.

I was talking to waltonl4 in another thread and we got on to the Central League, a competition we use to win more often than not. We have won it more than any other team. Even back in the day, we went out to win EVERYTHING. Now some of you want to pick and choose.

If we are only good enough for the Europa League, then that is the cup we should be aiming to win, there is no point in throwing the dummy out of the pram because we did not qualify for the CL, and if that is the case, then saying I don't won't to play in the EL, is just crass.

Why then play in the League Cup, or even the FACup?

As for 'blooding' the youngsters, well, on Saturday's display some of our '1st' team need blooding, as does the f**king manager.

It has been very clear this season, when it comes to European football/matches, we are way out of our depth, playing staff and management.

We did not have a clue how to beat those poor 2nd rate teams, and you can extend that to the EPL as well.

The only way to get experience, to have experience. Not wanting playing in this is just moronic.

Spot on.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #76: May 18, 2015 01:39:27 pm
      If LFC qualify for a competition of any description we should go all out to win it no matter what,

Last seasons euro campaign was a f***in disaster truth be told, however this season the players and manager are more experienced and should be better prepared,

I think we should take the EC very seriously despite having to play Thursdays Sundays & Mondays, the experienced gained is incalcable and will stand us in good stead further down the line.

YNWA

I say no, purely based on the negative form it definitely have on our league form.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #77: May 18, 2015 01:47:06 pm
      Jesus f**king wept I never thought I'd see Liverpool fans opting not to play in Europe.

How the f**k are we ever going to learn how to compete on 4 fronts, playing and winning high intensity matches every few days if we're not programmed to believe that's normal for elite footballers?

How can these young players learn what's expected of them at this Club if we give them a bye until they're old enough or good enough?  In fact how the hell will they ever be good enough if they're not playing against the best?

How can a Manager of Liverpool Football Club ever expect to keep his job if he's not capable of organising his coaching sessions to cope with games every few days as well as the travel involved?

It really beggars belief that we've fallen so far that any European Football is considered too much for this Club  :mad:

Playing against the best?

Is that a Freudian slip, or are you really lowering expectations?
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #78: May 18, 2015 01:50:33 pm
      Playing against the best?

Is that a Freudian slip, or are you really lowering expectations?

In what way am I lowering expectations? 
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #79: May 18, 2015 02:07:00 pm
      In what way am I lowering expectations? 

I think Beer means by calling the EL as 'playing against the best' Debs.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #80: May 18, 2015 02:28:03 pm
      I think Beer means by calling the EL as 'playing against the best' Debs.

Ah, ok.  That's maybe how he sees the EL Si but it still has League Champions in it even though they aren't from the better Leagues and there's always very good Clubs and players competing in it. 

For me going from little or no European experience straight into the CL is like fielding our u21's in the PL every game and expecting them to win the Title.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #81: May 18, 2015 02:36:43 pm
      5 Champions League.

3 Uefa Cups.

3 Super Cups.

Yet some rather see our participation as a distraction.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1760 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #82: May 18, 2015 02:43:51 pm
      5 Champions League.

3 Uefa Cups.

3 Super Cups.

Yet some rather see our participation as a distraction.

This is what set's us apart from the rest !  our success in Europe, we still have more European trophies than the Mancs, even though we have been in thier shadow for 20 odd years.

We should always want to be in Europe, either at top table or the 2nd table.
      Salavaria
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 381 posts | 41 
      Reply #83: May 18, 2015 02:52:38 pm
      As I understand it, we might make it to the EL even if we finish behind Soton and Spurs and Villa win the FA Cup: we're top of the Fair Play league aren't we?

Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,280 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #84: May 18, 2015 02:58:03 pm
      I think that no one appreciates this Europa League like UEFA cup was appreciated,none of the major european clubs dont make wining this competition their prime target.So thats why i think that we would not benefit anything from participating in this competition.We should concentrate on domestic competitions and we should brilliate in at least one of them until we dont get ready to be really competitive in UEFA CL.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #85: May 18, 2015 03:01:01 pm
      As I understand it, we might make it to the EL even if we finish behind Soton and Spurs and Villa win the FA Cup: we're top of the Fair Play league aren't we?

FFS, maybe we'll get in by having the biggest wooden spoon too, just to add insult to injury.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #86: May 18, 2015 03:29:32 pm
      FFS, maybe we'll get in by having the biggest wooden spoon too, just to add insult to injury.

We need it, if Brendan stays he needs it, same way the squad of 2001 needed the European experience. Europe is needed, even if just to attract players!!
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #87: May 18, 2015 05:04:16 pm
      It's exactly this type of turning up of our nose at competitions and other teams that has caused us to largely fail for 25 years.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #88: May 18, 2015 05:47:10 pm
      Yes, but I wouldn't prioritise it. We should be aiming to win all cups, but I would use a mixture of experience and young talent to go for the EL rather than strongest side every game. Quarter final onwards, let's use full strength by all means, but not throughout.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #89: May 18, 2015 06:51:08 pm
      Perfect competition for Rodgers to learn how to play against European teams, let's face it he needs all the experience he can gain.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,689 posts | 6692 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #90: May 19, 2015 09:40:30 am
      A resounding HELL YEAH! F**k me, I'm pretty sure someone very special to this Club said "We exist to win Trophies".

Can't believe we are even debating it.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #91: May 19, 2015 01:58:32 pm
      If we enter a cup mate, we should be in it to win it. And I don't think we have the squad to do that (leave 7, 8, 9 players at home)

If there is something that I have realised in the past few months it is that I no longer know which 7 or 8 players are good enough to leave at home for the Premier League games.

Strike me as all much of a muchness.  I'd have as much faith in Rossiter helping us win a game than an Allen, Lucas, Gerrard or a Henderson.

I'd think Sinclair is as likely to grab us a goal as a Borini or a Balotelli.

Quick Reply