Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Pre-Match: Blackburn v Liverpool Weds 8th April 19:45KO - FA Cup QF

Read 10076 times
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Re: Blackburn v Liverpool Weds 8th April 19:45KO - FA Cup QF
      Reply #46: Apr 07, 2015 01:53:43 pm
      Yeah because the current formation is working so well right now isn't it?? A good manager would adapt, which is exactly what Wenger and Van Gaal did to beat us with ease. Over the last few games the current formation has been exposed so it needs to be altered and a traditional 4-4-2 might be just the ticket.

Oh right ok then. So losing two games since mid December with the 3-4-3 formation makes it all a disaster then does it and we should just abandon it and go back to 4-4-2 that we aren't familiar with any more & were getting beat every week lying 11th in the league using that formation until Brendan switched to 3 at the back? Ok then yeah sounds good to me.

Its not just the 2 results Thad. It was coming for a while before that. Burnley tested us big time, then mighty Blackburn gave us a game, Swans would destroyed us but for poor finishing/great Mignolet. The writing was on the wall as players had been losing belief in the set-up, in my opinion.

Heres what Gary Bowyer, the Blacburn boss had to say before the game at Anfield:

'I think they're the most impressive team in the Premier League at the moment and the football that they're playing is fantastic. Obviously full credit to the manager for the way he changed his formation.
      'We've studied the videos, we've come up with a gameplan, and we've worked with the players on it.
      We'll go and take the challenge to Liverpool.
      'We've been very organised and very disciplined in the previous meetings with the Premier League teams, and then of course along the way you need a bit of luck."

Thats exactly what they did. Rovers could have been a goal or two up in the first half easily. And thats maybe why some people are worried that Rodgers is not going to alter his set-up. Bowyer will bee praying we play three at the back again, like LVG and Wenger will have been and we oblige.

You're talking sh*t.

1. Burnley tested us 'big time'. No they didn't. We controlled the game from start to finish without getting out of second gear. Two class moments from Hendo and the game was won comfortably. They barely tested us or caused any problems.

2. Swansea were the better team in the first half. We simply didn't turn up. By the end of the second half we were completely the better team and deserved the 3 points. Both managers said as much.

3. Well done Blackburn for watching videos of us, turning up, and parking two double decker buses. We dominated the game just couldn't score - we were poor in the final third.

Yet despite your observations, we got 6 points from the first two and are still in the hat for the semi finals of the cup.

« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2015 02:42:29 pm by HamannsTheMan »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #47: Apr 07, 2015 01:58:42 pm
      We do get exposed by the obvious though FL.

For instance against United, everyone and his brother knew their tactics yet we were set up poorly against them. The same has happened many times when we're against lower league opposition, they have strong men in the middle and we send out meak and mild (Henderson and Allen), exactly the same against the Bitters.

So while he will without doubt study their matches we don't set up to counter their strengths, we seem to believe that as long as we play our game it's enough. Well that isn't the case in many instances and we've been found out many times because of it. What annoys me more is that it always takes until half-time for a change in shape/system to come into play, why? When it's obvious it's not working it should be changed quicker. It's a similar gripe to his formations, it's only when it's completely failed does he change, so yes he learns from his mistakes but the length of time it takes to learn could be vastly improved upon.

I think our tactics would have worked fine had the players show some ball sack and not cowhered.

Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #48: Apr 07, 2015 03:53:51 pm
      Their manager studied the videos and had a game plan. Does BR and his backroom boys do the same. Obviously no, its the opposite, otherwise, they wouldn't be playing the same tactics and players and got beaten so convincingly game after game. He's just too stubborn with his tactics and too naive not to study the opposition strengths and weaknesses.

Is this sarcasm or are you retarded?
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1647 
      • YNWA
      Reply #49: Apr 07, 2015 09:54:40 pm
      This game's a lot more important after the last 2 PL results. Whoever starts they'll need to play with more passion and determination than at the Emirates. If we don't improve on that performance, we'll get beat again.
      Seem to have lost our cutting edge, and that's hard to get back. But whatever about that, if we get stuck in an match them for effort, we should have enough quality to squeeze past.
      Expecting a tough tight game. BR could really do with pulling this one out of the bag and get us into the next round, which I think is winnable.
      CMONTAFUCK......
      MsGerrard
      Reply #50: Apr 07, 2015 11:02:34 pm
      One thing I'm sure of, the support away at Blackburn will better anything seen at Anfield this season, for that there is hope.

I'll be there !!  :scarf: :kop5cf8koxp6: :aaliverpoolwz0: :aaliverpool2xt1:

Only my second away game this season and I'm already mega excited, just hope it doesn't go to extra time and pens, not sure my heart can stand that.

Would like to see Lovren drafted into the back, Toure, sorry, just not quick enough or good enough and I'd like to see Borini given a chance up front with Studge, at least he has a bit of pace.... wonder if Super Mario will rule himself out of this one too !!

Going for a nervy 2-1 to us !! Bring it on and let's get to Wem-ber-ley !!

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #51: Apr 07, 2015 11:30:05 pm
      With Skrtel and Can suspended we dont have the personel to play 3 at the back so i would go with

Migs
      Manquillo
      Lovren
      Sakho
      Moreno
      Lucas
      Henderson
      Coutinho
      Markovic
      Sterling
      Sturridge

Plenty of attacking threat there to keep them pinned in their own half.

A comfortable win seeing as though their own version of Andy Carroll is out for this one.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,385 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #52: Apr 08, 2015 01:19:45 am
      I never understand this point of view. If we win I´ll celebrate like always. If you like a bet here and there, you look at a game in hand and if you see a value you just back the team with better chances of winning. You cant bet win your heart, you´d lose a fortune.

Even if you won a milion on overpriced Blackburn at 9/2 it´d not be paid to you by John Henry or LFC players so I dont get why people think its so "wrong" to bet against Liverpool. You gamble against the bookies not the team you support.

the phrase more money than sense springs to mind
      paulow63
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 661 posts | 85 
      Reply #53: Apr 08, 2015 09:02:06 am
                                         Mignolet

Johnson              Sakho              Lovren

Markovic          Lucas              Hendo            Flanno

Borini             Lambert          Balotelli
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,277 posts | 762 
      Reply #54: Apr 08, 2015 09:12:52 am
      I suppose it is like having compensation for a defeat, the question is which would you prefer, a win or a pay out if you know, what I am saying.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #55: Apr 08, 2015 09:16:57 am
      It's squeaky bum time.

I have no idea how this one will pan out. Massive game though.

Hope to see the back of three CBs tonight.

Come on lads, lets not F**k this up.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #56: Apr 08, 2015 09:24:14 am
      It's squeaky bum time.

I have no idea how this one will pan out. Massive game though.

Hope to see the back of three CBs tonight.

Come on lads, lets not F**k this up.

It'll be a back 3 mate, Brendan said as much yesterday.  Johno, Lovren and Sakho I reckon as we're far too open with a 4 and no protection in front of them.

We'll be fine tonight, the lads will have shaken off their stupour of the last couple of games, they need this trophy and they need to prove to themselves they're winners.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #57: Apr 08, 2015 09:54:49 am
      With Skrtel and Can suspended we dont have the personel to play 3 at the back so i would go with

Migs
      Manquillo
      Lovren
      Sakho
      Moreno
      Lucas
      Henderson
      Coutinho
      Markovic
      Sterling
      Sturridge

Plenty of attacking threat there to keep them pinned in their own half.

A comfortable win seeing as though their own version of Andy Carroll is out for this one.

We'd concede about 50 with a back four like that.

Blackburn have far more injuries than us apparently so we have no excuses for this one, we should win it and I expect us to. Will be disappointed if we don't!
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #58: Apr 08, 2015 10:45:43 am

You're talking sh*t.

1. Burnley tested us 'big time'. No they didn't. We controlled the game from start to finish without getting out of second gear. Two class moments from Hendo and the game was won comfortably. They barely tested us or caused any problems.

2. Swansea were the better team in the first half. We simply didn't turn up. By the end of the second half we were completely the better team and deserved the 3 points. Both managers said as much.

3. Well done Blackburn for watching videos of us, turning up, and parking two double decker buses. We dominated the game just couldn't score - we were poor in the final third.

Yet despite your observations, we got 6 points from the first two and are still in the hat for the semi finals of the cup.
      We watched different games then mate, I guess it happens with so much football on TV these days.

We did turn up at Swansea. But they pressed, completely nullified our attacking treat, and when got the ball they just purposely attacked empty space behind our offensive minded wingbacks - drawing CB´s across thus opening pockets right infront of our goal as well. Swans were not just "the better side" as you gloss over, they were all over us and with slightly better finishers in the team it would have been game over after half an hour. Only after adjustments at half time we got into it.

Blackburn sat deeper, invited us forward but when we lost it they did exactly the same as Swans - attacked space esp. behind Sterling on our left, missing two glorious chances on the counter in the 1st half. Rovers added areal treat too only for Migs super save to deny them. We had Lallana penalty apeal and Sturridge shot in the 1st half for all our "domination", yes we got more chances towards the end when they tired.

I give you Burnley as they were rather poor but we were no great shakes either.

Six points yes, but these teams have shown the receipt how to deal with us. LVG and Wenger with better teams in hand didnt need more to know and duly executed their plans. You have to keep and move the ball perfectly with this risky set-up or you´ll get punished hard. Our ball retention been abysmal recently so its no surprise seeing teams pressing us high up the pitch. We have no answer to that. Going back to four DEFENDERS would be a step to right direction but much more of desire, and quallity on the ball is needed to get us out of this slump.

Migs

Toure       Lovren       Sakho    Johnson

Lucas

Hendo          Allen

Markovič    Sterling      Coutinho
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #59: Apr 08, 2015 11:32:50 am
                                         Mignolet

Johnson              Sakho              Lovren

Markovic          Lucas              Hendo            Flanno

Borini             Lambert          Balotelli

I'm not sure even where to begin with this line IP mate.

Lambert, Balotelli and Borini??

Jesus wept.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #60: Apr 08, 2015 12:03:45 pm
      I understand people are disappointed after the recent losses but why change to a back 4 when we've had our best defensive run in Brendans time with a 3.

Sure Blackburn stifled us in the home game but they came to defend and succeeded but they're at home now and will want to try to win.  That means there'll be space all over the pitch for us exploit.

Go with an attacking line up, with lots of goal threats and we'll be fine, play timid defensive sh*t and we'll sent home crying.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #61: Apr 08, 2015 01:47:12 pm
      I understand people are disappointed after the recent losses but why change to a back 4 when we've had our best defensive run in Brendans time with a 3.

Sure Blackburn stifled us in the home game but they came to defend and succeeded but they're at home now and will want to try to win.  That means there'll be space all over the pitch for us exploit.

Go with an attacking line up, with lots of goal threats and we'll be fine, play timid defensive sh*t and we'll sent home crying.

No Can or Skrtel means going with either Johnson or Toure as a back 3 alongside Lovren and Sakho, not a good mix.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #62: Apr 08, 2015 01:53:44 pm

I  agree, stick with what we've been doing.

I don't think the formation's what cost us those games...I think it's the players having no testicular fortitude and allowing themselves to get overrun.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #63: Apr 08, 2015 02:06:41 pm
      No Can or Skrtel means going with either Johnson or Toure as a back 3 alongside Lovren and Sakho, not a good mix.

But Johnson, Lovren and Sakho is still stronger defensively than going with a back 4.  Lucas still isn't fully fit and played on Saturday so the defense won't have any protection.  We are shocking with a back 4, have been for nearly 3 seasons so why would we go back to it when we need a win.

I  agree, stick with what we've been doing.

I don't think the formation's what cost us those games...I think it's the players having no testicular fortitude and allowing themselves to get overrun.

We were far too timid in our last 2 games mate.  Our wb's were in no mans land instead of pushing up, forcing the opposition to defend rather than keep coming at us.

We don't do well playing within ourselves, we have to play at full throttle and take our chances.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #64: Apr 08, 2015 03:19:38 pm
      Think we'll see this

Migs
      Lovren-Toure-Sakho
      Johnson-Hendo-Allen-Markovic
      Sterling-Coutinho
      Studge

Subs- Jones, Manquillo, Moreno, Lucas, Brannagan, Borini, Lambert
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1760 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #65: Apr 08, 2015 04:28:39 pm
      Is lallana fit again, and is flanno anywhere near match fit ?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #66: Apr 08, 2015 04:29:04 pm

I think both are out, but I could be wrong so take that with a grain of salt.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #67: Apr 08, 2015 04:30:00 pm
      I hope Jordan Rhodes does not play, he's one of my favorite players in the lower leagues and a top finisher
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #68: Apr 08, 2015 04:40:48 pm

Lallana no but Flanno and possibly Ibe should be available for Newcastle next Monday.

Quick Reply