Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

The 12th Man

Read 4490 times
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,488 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      The 12th Man
      Apr 06, 2015 12:50:05 pm
      Form is temporary - class is permanent

“[Anfield] was one of the places you always dreamed of playing as a kid. To be honest with you, the first time we went there, we were outstanding. We played so well. We won 3-1 and the fans clapped us off.

I shall never forget it as long as I live. I expected all sorts of jeering and booing and that. They clapped us off because they appreciate their football.

I loved it last time. That song is worth just standing there for. It’s worth a 10-0 hammering just to hear them sing that song. Plus, it’s my dad’s favourite song, so I had a tear in my eye last time.”
      ~ Ian Holloway

"For me, the atmosphere is the best in the world at Liverpool. You see the pure football at Anfield. The crowd and the team are as one together. The crowd lifts the team in any situation and that is fantastic" ~ Manuel Almunia

"Our supporters are always there with their hearts, and that is all we need. It's the passion of the fans that helps to win matches - not flags." ~ Rafa Benitez

"It's the atmosphere I love. It's unbelievable. I've played in a lot of stadiums but for me there is nothing like playing at Liverpool. "[P]laying at Anfield was great. The fans always sing and hold up their scarves before and after the game - whether they have won or lost.

It must be amazing if you are a Liverpool player.

Liverpool's fans are just amazing. The best feeling I have at away games is Anfield. It is just incredible. I love it. You get goose bumps when you see their supporters sing You'll Never Walk Alone"
      ~ Thierry Henry

"There's not one club in the world so united with the fans. I sat there watching the Liverpool fans and they sent shivers down my spine. A mass of 40,000 people became one force behind their team. That's something not many teams have. For that I admire Liverpool more than anything." ~ Johan Cruyff

"When the torture of the game was finished, we sat like a bunch of half-wits in the dressing room. We couldn't speak we couldn't move. They'd mentally destroyed us." ~ Andrea Pirlo

"At Anfield even experienced players can have a bad start because of the excitement of playing in such a stadium. Pushed by their fans , the Liverpool players seemed unstoppable." ~ Fabio Capello

"The English club proved that miracles really do exist. I've now made Liverpool my English team. They showed that football is the most beautiful sport of all. The Liverpool supporters didn't let me go to sleep the night before, there were 10 of them to every three Milan supporters. They showed their unconditional support at half-time when they were losing 3-0 and still they didn't stop singing." ~ Diego Maradona

"The Liverpool fans were amazing. I have never heard anything like it before and I don’t think I ever will again. I walked out into that cauldron and heard the singing and saw the passion. The hairs on my arms were standing up…" ~ John Terry

"The atmosphere at Anfield in the Champions League is the best I've ever experienced. I even phoned home and said to my Father "I've never seen anything like this". He said "But you played for Real Madrid". Of course the atmosphere was good in Madrid, but at Liverpool it's unique, the people really lift the players". ~ Fernando Morientes

"We were sitting in the dressing room and we could clearly hear thousands of fans singing You'll Never Walk Alone. Can you imagine how that felt? We were 3-0 down in the Champions League final and all we could hear were 45,000 people letting us know they still believed in us. We knew they had endured a long journey and made so many sacrifices to be there. It was at that point we started to believe too." Luis Garcia

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCJ5uBA3DU4

YNWA
      « Last Edit: Apr 06, 2015 01:10:39 pm by Rush »
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,167 posts | 829 
      Re: The 12th Man
      Reply #1: Apr 06, 2015 12:56:54 pm
      Take note Sterling
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #2: Apr 06, 2015 01:01:31 pm
      I think the 12th man only plays away now.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,423 posts | 4581 
      Reply #3: Apr 06, 2015 01:08:20 pm
      We have zero players to sing about at the mo, need more cult players.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,246 posts | 6364 
      Reply #4: Apr 06, 2015 01:45:50 pm
      Wow, I needed to read and see that this morning.

Lifted my spirits right up. Thanks Rushie!
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #5: Apr 06, 2015 01:59:14 pm
      Quality Rush - good timing.

Man what a force of nature that boy Gerrard was......
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,488 posts | 1490 
      Reply #6: Apr 06, 2015 02:05:35 pm
      Wow, I needed to read and see that this morning.

Lifted my spirits right up. Thanks Rushie!

Pretty much why I did it.

Quite a lot of doom and gloom going around lately. I thought it would be a nice reminder of who we are and what we've achieved.

YNWA
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #7: Apr 06, 2015 05:42:35 pm
      I think the 12th man only plays away now.

Although the mute half n half, camera clicking, shopping bags brigade are slowly infesting these now too.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,423 posts | 4581 
      Reply #8: Apr 06, 2015 06:29:32 pm
      A bastion of invincibility we were once, Rafa & the players made us believe once more.

We need some to replicate this for us once more.

Please step up.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,161 posts | 4902 
      Reply #9: Apr 06, 2015 08:41:52 pm
      The 12th man seems to be one of our shittiest performers nowadays.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,488 posts | 1490 
      Reply #10: Apr 08, 2015 10:31:46 am
      The 12th man seems to be one of our shittiest performers nowadays.
      My son told me the other day that he saw a video online a couple of years ago that showed two 'supporters' recording Ronaldo (I think it was him) scoring against us and both were grinning whist watching through their shiny smart phone. Both were in the Kop.

Staggers me.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,161 posts | 4902 
      Reply #11: Apr 08, 2015 11:12:26 am
      My son told me the other day that he saw a video online a couple of years ago that showed two 'supporters' recording Ronaldo (I think it was him) scoring against us and both were grinning whist watching through their shiny smart phone. Both were in the Kop.

Staggers me.

I don't get what pleasure you get from rewatching a shitty recording at a football match.

Even worse when its the opposition.

I understand people taking a few snaps of the stadium half an hour before the game and such but once it's on there isn't any real benefit from arseing about taking photos.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #12: Apr 08, 2015 11:12:36 am

Staggers me.

I think we need to get away from this idea that people who go to Anfield are "fans" or "supporters" in the sense of getting behind the players and encouraging them to win.  To sing and wave flags.

They're there for the thrill, to brag to their mates, for another "lifetime experience" they can tick off on their lists.  Of course the Club loves all that, it means they get free publicity to people all over the World when those pics and videos hit social media.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,488 posts | 1490 
      Reply #13: Apr 08, 2015 12:10:34 pm
      I think we need to get away from this idea that people who go to Anfield are "fans" or "supporters" in the sense of getting behind the players and encouraging them to win.  To sing and wave flags.

They're there for the thrill, to brag to their mates, for another "lifetime experience" they can tick off on their lists.  Of course the Club loves all that, it means they get free publicity to people all over the World when those pics and videos hit social media.
      I had two extra paragraphs to my last post, and they went something along the lines of folk who are not as affluent tend to be the most vocal and passionate supporters of football clubs for reasons I won't rehash here. Those with big bucks (prawn sarnie brigade) tended to go there with the same mentality of watching a good movie. I don't believe all affluent folk are like that, but still, I didn't add it because I thought it might offend some people. Hey, perhaps I'm some sort of wage racist.

I'm a wageist
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #14: Apr 08, 2015 12:28:57 pm
      I had two extra paragraphs to my last post, and they went something along the lines of folk who are not as affluent tend to be the most vocal and passionate supporters of football clubs for reasons I won't rehash here. Those with big bucks (prawn sarnie brigade) tended to go there with the same mentality of watching a good movie. I don't believe all affluent folk are like that, but still, I didn't add it because I thought it might offend some people. Hey, perhaps I'm some sort of wage racist.

I'm a wageist

I don't think it's even that mate, a lot of them are just ordinary people who save up their hard earned cash for a once in a lifetime day out.  A bit like their first time watching their favourite band, or ideal holiday destination or even going to Glastonbury.

I certainly don't have wads of spare cash but I've considered using the hospitality tickets for the big games I've got no chance of getting tickets for any other way.  Difference is I am a fan who would be up singing and shouting helping to create the atmosphere, not spend the whole game seeing how many pics of "famous people" I can get.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,146 posts | 8540 
      Reply #15: Apr 08, 2015 12:35:53 pm
      Hates that 12th man tag, everyone uses it.

WE'RE THE KOP!!

Quick Reply