Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

Lets not Forget the FA cup but admit we have 7 league games to save the season!!

Read 9496 times
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Lets not Forget the FA cup but admit we have 7 league games to save the season!!
      Apr 07, 2015 03:09:08 pm

We have 7 games to win and hope/wish others lose to save our season.

If the bookies are right and we fail to gain CL qualification, regardless of what happens in the cup, this season will be a disaster.

The FA cup is a bonus to any season and rightly I want us to win it but it means nothing to potential big signings. It means nothing to major sponsor deals which brings in the big money to help us challenge long term. And it means nothing to the owners (Kenny was sacked on the back of a league cup win and runner up in the FA cup)
      So Im now worried the owners think Brendan has blown it!
      We all know we need BR to stay and anyone who thinks otherwise needs to have a look at themselves… but the Yanks call the shots and after a massive player outlay and no CL for another year it could be a bridge too far for them and they might cut their losses!

But if common sense prevails and they back him, will they do so in the transfer market with 1, 2 or possibly 3 new £30m+ signings? Because that’s what’s needed here… and if that’s a yes will the players actually sign for a club without CL?

This is why CL is so critical for the future and we’ve (probably) missed out after only a year back in… this is a catastrophe of a season!!

« Last Edit: Apr 08, 2015 03:15:34 pm by JD »
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Re: Forget the FA cup – it’s the 7 league games to save the season!!!
      Reply #1: Apr 07, 2015 03:35:05 pm
      Disagree. Not with the notion that season has been a failure, but with idea that silverware can ever be considered a bonus. For me real trophies will always be better than the "fourth place trophy".

It may not be better in terms of our finances or attracting players, but those aren't the only measures of success. Winning stuff has its own intrinsic value.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2: Apr 07, 2015 03:46:26 pm
      I don't think 5th will be seen as a disaster mate, not by the Club anyway.  We have the 5th highest revenue and the 5th highest wage bill so 5th is where we should be unless we overachieve like last season or one of the 4 above us underachieve.

We might be buying 1 x £30m player but it definitely won't be 2 or 3 and CL means jack when it comes to the level of players we bring in.  We had both money and CL last summer but failed miserably in bringing in a single player that immediately improved our starting 11. 

Flash enough cash at the agents/players and top players will sign, CL or not.  City proved it before ever qualifying for CL and the other mancs did so last season.  We can't and won't do that but don't ever believe that it's because we aren't in the CL, that's just damn good PR.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #3: Apr 07, 2015 03:46:36 pm
      Win 10 games in a row and see where it leaves us.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,264 posts | 6365 
      Reply #4: Apr 07, 2015 04:48:53 pm
      Forget the FA cup?

What kind of club have we become where winning a cup is so idly dismissed?

frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #5: Apr 07, 2015 04:51:42 pm
      Forget the FA cup?

Well said Mate, this club win trophies not settles for 4th !
      Mad4LFC
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 989 posts | 81 
      Reply #6: Apr 07, 2015 04:52:49 pm
      Forget the FA cup?

Means nothing if we don't compete with Europes elite, may as well be Portsmouth. Would take top four over the FA cup in a heartbeat.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Reply #7: Apr 07, 2015 05:20:47 pm
      Disagree. Getting to the FA Cup Final is the minimum I now expect from this season.

With the current owners transfer strategy and the current Chief Executive's retention of players strategy I'd imagine it might be as close as we get to silverware for a while.

If you think that us qualifying for the Champions League might result in us purchasing the types of players that might make us remotely competitive in the tournament then I can only assume you woke up from a lengthy coma in the past few days.

At least not qualifying might shock some people at the club in to reflecting on their 'strategies'.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #8: Apr 07, 2015 05:25:46 pm
      With a maximum of 10 matches left this season between the league and FA Cup, there is absolutely no reason why we can't focus on each and every one of them.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #9: Apr 07, 2015 05:28:53 pm
      Cups vs Top 4 might be the most boring "polemic" ever among the LFC fan base.

Making the Top 4 is important for our long term ambitions; you might not like hearing about financial stuff and might even delude yourself that players all over the world dream about playing for LFC irrespective of which competitions we are in (while we're at it, let's just say: down with modern football!!!), but that doesn't change its importance to the club.

Meanwhile, winning trophies are at the centre of what this club has been built around and, more importantly for me, are the main source of joy for the fans. As the saying goes, no one ever got drunk on making it into the top 4.

I don't see why this binary always come up as if we had to choose one over the other.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Reply #10: Apr 07, 2015 05:35:03 pm
      I don't see why this binary always come up as if we had to choose one over the other.

Fair point that.  Like others have said - Let's just win the last 10 games of the season and take it from there.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #11: Apr 07, 2015 06:07:13 pm
      Cups vs Top 4 might be the most boring "polemic" ever among the LFC fan base.

Making the Top 4 is important for our long term ambitions; you might not like hearing about financial stuff and might even delude yourself that players all over the world dream about playing for LFC irrespective of which competitions we are in (while we're at it, let's just say: down with modern football!!!), but that doesn't change its importance to the club.

Meanwhile, winning trophies are at the centre of what this club has been built around and, more importantly for me, are the main source of joy for the fans. As the saying goes, no one ever got drunk on making it into the top 4.

We don't Diego, it's people coming on here opening threads in order to discuss it that causes a split in the forum members, we should take each game as it comes the only game to worry about is the NEXT ONE !
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #12: Apr 07, 2015 06:23:58 pm
      Not qualifying for the CL might just be the wake-up call the owners need, to bring about a change in strategy regarding transfer policy, finish 4th and they might think if it ain't broken........

I see absolutely no reason why, with the finishing line in sight, we shouldn't be putting everything on the line, and go for it!
      I still choose an FA cup over top 4 anyway, but F**k it, go all out for both!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #13: Apr 07, 2015 07:13:57 pm
      Off your rocker aren't you lad?! Forget the FA Cup? Most certainly not, the only way we can save our season is by winning all our remaining league games and the FA Cup. Not to mention that we might need to rely on the FA Cup to get some European football next season.

Good grief, what is parts of this club coming to when we go from looking to win 4 trophies at the start of the season to some "supporters" wanting us to basically throw away the FA Cup. Liverpool Football Club should be looking to win every game possible, not throwing away a cup competition to try and salvage the best league position we can because we simply haven't been good enough over the previous 31 games.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,170 posts | 4904 
      Reply #14: Apr 07, 2015 09:35:28 pm
      Disagree. Getting to the FA Cup Final is the minimum I now expect from this season.

With the current owners transfer strategy and the current Chief Executive's retention of players strategy I'd imagine it might be as close as we get to silverware for a while.

If you think that us qualifying for the Champions League might result in us purchasing the types of players that might make us remotely competitive in the tournament then I can only assume you woke up from a lengthy coma in the past few days.

At least not qualifying might shock some people at the club in to reflecting on their 'strategies'.

Just about to post something almost the same as this.

Agree 100%
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #15: Apr 07, 2015 10:00:13 pm
      Isn't the point of getting champions league, (aside from another competition to win) to attract better players to win silverware like the FA cup?
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #16: Apr 07, 2015 10:12:07 pm
      Isn't the point of getting champions league, (aside from another competition to win) to attract better players to win silverware like the FA cup?

No the point of getting Champions League is for it to become a regular competition to be a part of so we can stay in touch with Europes elite clubs. Not just a one season brief flirtation with the CL then go back to being a mid tier club.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,171 posts | 829 
      Reply #17: Apr 07, 2015 10:18:41 pm
      Forget the FA cup?

Agreed, we are a club that wins trophies, the FA cup is our only chance of silverware this season so we got to try our best to win it
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #18: Apr 07, 2015 10:27:17 pm

Aren't we on the verge of winning the F.A.Cup without been in the Champions League OR attracting better players !
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #19: Apr 07, 2015 11:20:10 pm
      Man Uturd have Citeh (h), CHelsea (a) and Everton (a) next 3 games. We can reach them if we win the next 3 I reckon. They have had a lot of luck so far.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,209 posts | 1211 
      Reply #20: Apr 07, 2015 11:43:08 pm
      The FA Cup only means f*ck all if you're one of those utilitarian types who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing. They speak of it in terms of being a ''bonus'' but not really attractive to sponsors etc. Yeah, in the long run we must be in the CL, we must spend the money to compete, but if you can't appreciate the sense of history and occasion of the FA Cup then what is the point in being a football supporter? You may as well go and support the richest club around. Either that or become an accountant.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #21: Apr 08, 2015 01:10:00 am
      There are loads of threads on this already aren't there? I think if we make the Champions League next season it'll be similar to this season. The squad is too small and we probably wont progress. I think it's time to stop the bigheadedness and really look at where our squad is at. Probably time to stop thinking about how great we are and how we must be in Europe every year or people will laugh at us. Just look within and see where we are at. Do you really think we can cope in Europe and the Prem next season?
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #22: Apr 08, 2015 01:27:00 am
      There are loads of threads on this already aren't there? I think if we make the Champions League next season it'll be similar to this season. The squad is too small and we probably wont progress. I think it's time to stop the bigheadedness and really look at where our squad is at. Probably time to stop thinking about how great we are and how we must be in Europe every year or people will laugh at us. Just look within and see where we are at. Do you really think we can cope in Europe and the Prem next season?

I am not sure where we are at. We are investing in youth but if they turn out to be world beaters then they will be off.
      We can't buy the finished product we need to compete properly now. Those players are snapped up by richer clubs so we get second tier players who won't push to the next level. It's a difficult situation for sure. The CL has really effected the National competitions.

Quick Reply