Trending Topics

Lets not Forget the FA cup but admit we have 7 league games to save the season!!

Read 9487 times
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: Forget the FA cup – it’s the 7 league games to save the season!!!
      Reply #23: Apr 08, 2015 03:40:46 am
      Forget the F.A. Cup, just glad you were not around in 1965;Bill Shankly would of had you strung up from a full Kop, and deservedly so.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #24: Apr 08, 2015 04:01:07 am
      Forget the F.A. Cup, just glad you were not around in 1965;Bill Shankly would of had you strung up from a full Kop, and deservedly so.

This all day.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #25: Apr 08, 2015 07:03:47 am

We have 7 games to win and hope/wish others lose to save our season.

If the bookies are right and we fail to gain CL qualification, regardless of what happens in the cup, this season will be a disaster.

The FA cup is a bonus to any season and rightly I want us to win it but it means nothing to potential big signings. It means nothing to major sponsor deals which brings in the big money to help us challenge long term. And it means nothing to the owners (Kenny was sacked on the back of a league cup win and runner up in the FA cup)
      So Im now worried the owners think Brendan has blown it!
      We all know we need BR to stay and anyone who thinks otherwise needs to have a look at themselves… but the Yanks call the shots and after a massive player outlay and no CL for another year it could be a bridge too far for them and they might cut their losses!

But if common sense prevails and they back him, will they do so in the transfer market with 1, 2 or possibly 3 new £30m+ signings? Because that’s what’s needed here… and if that’s a yes will the players actually sign for a club without CL?

This is why CL is so critical for the future and we’ve (probably) missed out after only a year back in… this is a catastrophe of a season!!

Look, beat Blackburn and we can all make the claim Rodgers got us to Wembley, okay.

Win the FA cup and we (rightfully so) should be over the moon, we can even rejoice that Rodgers took us to Wembley twice!

It doesn't matter now, the league that is - what's the difference between finishing 7th,6th,5th,4th to 2nd, which is nothing; you don't win anything for coming second do you - so what harm can it do finishing any lower?

Win the cup and those that don't currently like him, will be able to stomach him a little more (that's how it works in football, you can go from Jimmy Saville to Clement Atlee in the blink of an eye) and it saves my eyes from bleeding after reading their bitter sh*t.

:f_tongueincheek:
      « Last Edit: Apr 08, 2015 09:45:09 am by Beerbelly »
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #26: Apr 08, 2015 08:28:38 am
      Gerrard lifting the FA Cup on his final game at the club is easily worth losing 4th place over.
      nikos
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 637 posts | 123 
      Reply #27: Apr 08, 2015 08:39:06 am
      Since when Lfc has to so desperately qualify for the CL to attract a quality player? This applies only to Man. city,Chelsea and the likes who out of it are nothing.

If a footballer is not motivated by a trophy winning club as Lfc has to be/is and is only driven by his accountants' instructions then he is not needed at the club for he'll never be able to grasp what Lfc stands for.
      « Last Edit: Apr 08, 2015 10:24:49 am by nikos »
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #28: Apr 08, 2015 09:11:36 am
      Add the FA Cup to what we done last season and have a think about what your outstanding memory of the season would be when looking back now, next year, in five years time and so on and so on.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,276 posts | 762 
      Reply #29: Apr 08, 2015 09:18:01 am
      Seemingly every game is like a cup final, from now on until the end of the season. We'll just have to get behind the lads to achieve the almost impossible.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #30: Apr 08, 2015 09:30:10 am
      You know something, there is a fundamental problem here, everyone is obsessed with this magic 30 million, like we are pawnbrokers or banker headed minions for our bosses who run the club.
      We aren't ready to compete in the CL, what Liverpool need is to start learning what winning a trophy can do for the mentality and also give the fans something to actually celebrate.
      I don't celebrate much about 30 million which I'll never be sure where it went.
      Also if we were in a better position with points and GD I still wouldn't dismiss the FA cup as less important. Every competition is there to be won not sacrificed for the sake of possibility of top 4, meaning we may possibly sign a player who is so shallow he'll only join a club if they are in the CL and he can swap shirts with greasy Ronaldo or something. The worlds gone mad.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #31: Apr 08, 2015 09:54:01 am
      So many of you missing the point on this…and the same amount living in the footballing past!!

As Ive said, the FA cup is worth winning, but it is a bonus as is the league cup! At the start of any season, the priority for Liverpool football club has always been the league title and now in 2015, like or not, it’s still the league but with more emphasis on achieving a top 4 status. After this, the cups are a bonus!

Im not saying choose an option, because none of us can do that. No-one is going to support the team in one match and not another. Im just saying winning the cup does not change the seasons’ outcome. This season was all about a top 4 finishAnd it will have been a disaster if we fail to achieve this league position. Regardless of any cup win.

Of course, I’ll be cheering on the boys if and when we get to Wembley… an on that day I’ll be excited as anyone to see Gerrard lift the cup on his last appearance for the club. To suggest otherwise is being deliberately obtuse.

And in retort to the “Shankly would have strung you up” line:
      You are being so naive in suggesting my point has any relevance in that footballing era when he was at the helm. Football is a very different beast now… everyone knows that, whether they admit it is another debate!
      Also IMHO a Bill Shankly in 2015 would of walked away from football a long time ago, as this era wouldn’t of suited him at all… money, egos and yet more money!!
      So who knows, he might begrudgingly agreed with me…

Ive also read that if we achieve regular CL qualification consistently there a high chance the Americans SILL WONT bring in the top players on the top wages – what’s this based on? F**k all is the answer because we don’t know and won’t know what they plan to do when we are CL regulars, until the club moves forward to join the European elite. Lets make the small steps towards the Europe’s top table and let’s see what they do then before we make assumptions…
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #32: Apr 08, 2015 10:13:56 am
      Aren't we on the verge of winning the F.A.Cup without been in the Champions League OR attracting better players !

That's my point mate. We want to get in to the champions league to get players to win stuff. Its stupid to prioritize the means over the end goal.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #33: Apr 08, 2015 10:29:43 am
      So many of you missing the point on this…and the same amount living in the footballing past!!

As Ive said, the FA cup is worth winning, but it is a bonus as is the league cup! At the start of any season, the priority for Liverpool football club has always been the league title and now in 2015, like or not, it’s still the league but with more emphasis on achieving a top 4 status. After this, the cups are a bonus!

Im not saying choose an option, because none of us can do that. No-one is going to support the team in one match and not another. Im just saying winning the cup does not change the seasons’ outcome. This season was all about a top 4 finishAnd it will have been a disaster if we fail to achieve this league position. Regardless of any cup win.

Of course, I’ll be cheering on the boys if and when we get to Wembley… an on that day I’ll be excited as anyone to see Gerrard lift the cup on his last appearance for the club. To suggest otherwise is being deliberately obtuse.

And in retort to the “Shankly would have strung you up” line:
      You are being so naive in suggesting my point has any relevance in that footballing era when he was at the helm. Football is a very different beast now… everyone knows that, whether they admit it is another debate!
      Also IMHO a Bill Shankly in 2015 would of walked away from football a long time ago, as this era wouldn’t of suited him at all… money, egos and yet more money!!
      So who knows, he might begrudgingly agreed with me…

Ive also read that if we achieve regular CL qualification consistently there a high chance the Americans SILL WONT bring in the top players on the top wages – what’s this based on? F**k all is the answer because we don’t know and won’t know what they plan to do when we are CL regulars, until the club moves forward to join the European elite. Lets make the small steps towards the Europe’s top table and let’s see what they do then before we make assumptions…

If you look back to the time Bill Shankly was our manager he broke the transfer records buying players for Liverpool quite a few times. Also Bill Shankly would not of put up with footballers with egos like some of todays so called stars. When you compare Bill Shankly and L.F.C. to  todays Liverpool players bear in mind those players would of run through a brick wall for the Boss and the club, I give you Gerry Byrne as an example.I am aware that football has changed over the years but what has not changed is Liverpool supporters get great pleasure when the club is winning leagues and Cups,that is what we exist for.
      nikos
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 637 posts | 123 
      Reply #34: Apr 08, 2015 10:31:07 am
      The season can well be saved by winning silverware.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #35: Apr 08, 2015 10:43:34 am
      If you look back to the time Bill Shankly was our manager he broke the transfer records buying players for Liverpool quite a few times. Also Bill Shankly would not of put up with footballers with egos like some of todays so called stars. When you compare Bill Shankly and L.F.C. to  todays Liverpool players bear in mind those players would of run through a brick wall for the Boss and the club, I give you Gerry Byrne as an example.I am aware that football has changed over the years but what has not changed is Liverpool supporters get great pleasure when the club is winning leagues and Cups,that is what we exist for.

There are players around now who would do that for managers. It’s called fantastic man-management! It’s not an ancient concept

And yes he bought players for big money in those times… what does prove or disprove?

I agree it’s great to win trophies, it’s what LFC all about. But, and it’s an important BUT, these “trophies” now are in a list of priorities. A top 4 place is priority for the club, the FA cup isnt… We are Liverpool not Wigan or Portsmouth!

Priorities in football has changed… anyone who doesn’t see this is swimming against the tide
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8520 
      Reply #36: Apr 08, 2015 10:51:19 am
      I agree it’s great to win trophies, it’s what LFC all about. But, and it’s an important BUT, these “trophies” now are in a list of priorities. A top 4 place is priority for the club, the FA cup isnt… We are Liverpool not Wigan or Portsmouth!

You forgotten 15/4/89 - we should never, ever take the FA Cup lightly!!

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #37: Apr 08, 2015 10:53:52 am

Well said mate.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #38: Apr 08, 2015 11:00:50 am
      Priorities in football has changed

The priority is still to win though mate so unless the "top 4 place" is as Champions, then all it does is qualify us for the chance to win another trophy.

Financially the CL helps us but it doesn't give the players a winning mentality and that's what this team and Brendan need right now.  If we win the FA Cup this season it might help them have a bit more belief going into European competitions and the League in future, rather than going into it on a downer after narrowly missing out on the Title last season and losing Luis in the summer.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #39: Apr 08, 2015 11:05:33 am
      There are players around now who would do that for managers. It’s called fantastic man-management! It’s not an ancient concept

And yes he bought players for big money in those times… what does prove or disprove?

Priorities in football has changed… anyone who doesn’t see this is swimming against the tide

In your post it was you who said Bill Shankly would of walked away because of money egos and yet more money. You appear to be ignorant of Bill Shankly and how he managed this club because I can assure you he was never a quitter but respected by supporters he definitely was.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #40: Apr 08, 2015 11:06:45 am

Ah come on... I'm talking about a football cup competition and my own opinion of the priority I think the club should take.

In no way is this related to the Hillsborough tragedy… and I wholly resent any suggestion that my opinion of the FA cup football competition in 2015, undermines the memory of the lives lost or indeed means I have “forgotten”

Not cool… really not cool!!
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #41: Apr 08, 2015 11:09:35 am
      The priority is still to win though mate so unless the "top 4 place" is as Champions, then all it does is qualify us for the chance to win another trophy.

No, you are wrong. Winning the FA cup for the 10 years in a row will mean nothing if we finsih 5th every year!!
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #42: Apr 08, 2015 11:25:10 am
      No, you are wrong. Winning the FA cup for the 10 years in a row will mean nothing if we finsih 5th every year!!

That isn't what I meant and you know it but I'll try again.

One of the criticisms of Brendan and the new players he's brought in, with the odd exception, is "what have they won"?  It'll remain a criticism until they win something or they'll become known as perpetual losers.

We've already become labelled bottlers after losing the Title last season and it's raised it's head again after the last 2 defeats. 

I'll say again, This Team and Brendan need to Win a Trophy and soon or we'll continue to go into important, season defining games harbouring doubts about our abilities.  To develop a winning mentality you need to win stuff, you don't just wake up one morning and suddenly become a winner.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #43: Apr 08, 2015 11:42:53 am
      Anyone who doesn't want to, or isn't interested in, winning the F A Cup is following football for the wrong reasons.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,684 posts | 6690 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #44: Apr 08, 2015 12:23:15 pm
      F**k me, forget the FA Cup? We haven't won any Silverware since 2012 and before that was 2006 and you want us to forget the FA Cup? Come on man!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8520 
      Reply #45: Apr 08, 2015 12:30:57 pm
      Ah come on... I'm talking about a football cup competition and my own opinion of the priority I think the club should take.

In no way is this related to the Hillsborough tragedy… and I wholly resent any suggestion that my opinion of the FA cup football competition in 2015, undermines the memory of the lives lost or indeed means I have “forgotten”

Not cool… really not cool!!

Do me a favour you jumped up beaut and do one if you don't know our history?

And who cares about cool, you sky generation beaut!

Quick Reply