Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

FSG's Most Important Summer?

Read 39795 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      FSG's Most Important Summer?
      Apr 10, 2015 10:52:48 pm
      We're getting towards the end of the season and while I normally don't like to look too far ahead, especially with games still to play, my mind has been wandering to the summer and what I feel could be the most crucial summer of FSG's time as owners of the club.

First things first and barring some sort of disaster Brendan Rodgers will be the manager come the start of next season and depending on how we fair in the FA Cup begins his 4th season in charge possibly still to win a trophy or at best with a cup win behind him following our best League campaign the previous season. He has progressed us as a football club and even though he has made many mistakes along the way he has, by and large, learned from them and moved us forward and if he can add that crucial first piece of silverware in May we will end his 3rd season on a high.

We have spend Brendan's first three seasons building a stronger squad of players by adding large numbers of players over the transfer windows and I think we have reached the point where we have a strong base of players but the time has come for us to hold onto that squad and build on the groundwork done over the previous transfer windows. With Gerrard definitely gone and Glen probably to follow we are losing another two experienced international footballers to add to Suarez and Carra from the previous season and it is crucial that we replace these players with footballers of character and experience ready to help us challenge from day one come August.

Everyone at the club should be going into this summer with a clear goal and all working with the same focus and that should be to buy the players to help us win the league. FSG have spent the time building a squad and now we shouldn't be looking to replace 5,6 or 7 players but to lose the deadwood in the side, use the young players coming through to take their place in the squad and spend all the money we have available in terms of transfer fee and wages on one or two ready made big game players.

Players who dominate a game.

Players who know what it's like to be a winner.

Players who think they are better than the one's they are being brought in to play alongside.

FSG have their critics, of which I have been one, and although having done good things to progress the football club off the field I think they haven't 'gambled' enough on it and sometimes the manager is working with one hand tied behind his back. But having said that we have built a squad over the last few years that looks like it is close to being a contender, for want of a better term, and they are so close to getting things right, which is why I feel the transfer window ahead is arguably the most important under their ownership.

Will we see the same old FSG policy of spreading the risk and asking the manager to mould yet another group of kids?

Or will they sense what some of us may well sense in that we are very close and taking that gamble could well be much less of a gamble that they think it might be?

« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2015 11:40:52 pm by srslfc »
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Re: FSG's Most Important Summer?
      Reply #1: Apr 10, 2015 11:25:11 pm
      As always a opening post Si.

I feel in my bones Raheem is gone; there is no proof but in the end that will be that.

My hope is 1-3 players that can immediately come in and push some of this years starters to the bench; even with losing Raheem we do not need to be in a re-building mode we need to be in a strengthening and improving starting XI mode.

I think for the most part Ibe could come in and at least give us what Raheem gave us in the 2013/2014 season..the key is in getting a real striker in.

Out: Lambert, Borini, Balotelli, Sterling
      In: Origi and a 20+ goal scoring striker from a competitive league.

So up in the top 1/3 (depending on set-up): 20+ goal Striker, Sturridge, Origi, Ibe, Markovic, Lallana, Coutinho, Rossiter (cameos),

Out: Stevie, Sterling
      In: Someone to push Joe Allen to the bench or let go off all together

So Mid 1/3 (depending on set-up): Starting midfielder (brought in) Can, Henderson, Lallana, Coutinho, Lucas, Joe Allen, Teixeira, Rossiter (cameos)

Out: Johnson, Toure, Enrique, Jones
      In: Cover at LB/RB and GK Cover

So Back 1/3 (depending on set-up): Sahko, Skrtel, Lovren, Illori, Flanagan, Moreno, Manquillo, + one player(CB/RB/LB) and Stewart (cameos)

In my mind give me a Platinum striker, a gold mid-fielder, cover at lb/rb/cb and someone to push migs a little...everything else we fill out with the kids.

That is the way I would do it but there is a fair chance instead of all that we will see all copper/silver type players and spread that risk out.

I sure hope not.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #2: Apr 10, 2015 11:29:31 pm
      Without getting into specific players AZ, as I was thinking more broadly in terms of our mindset this summer, you have hit on another point that should be close to the top of our agenda at the end of the season and that is goals.

This team doesn't have enough goal in it and I would even go as far to say I'd rather we blew the budget on one goalscorer than piss about trying to be clever again and getting in 3 or 4 players who we 'hope' will add some goals.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #3: Apr 10, 2015 11:37:41 pm
      I'd rather we blew the budget on one goalscorer than piss about trying to be clever again and getting in 3 or 4 players who we 'hope' will add some goals.

This all day long Si.

When we had Suarez/Studge/Sterling all out on the pitch together every time we had the ball we were a threat, teams set up against us differently and teams feared and respected what we could do, thus any issues we did have in the mid/defense were less of an issue.

We don't scare anybody now, there is no respect for our attack and thus more pressure is put on the defense, a top notch striker would serve the entire squad not just one segment of it.
      « Last Edit: Apr 10, 2015 11:49:43 pm by AZPatriot »
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #4: Apr 10, 2015 11:40:40 pm
      Most important summer?  Same answer as always, it is since the last one and will be until the next one and so on.
      hobbes2702
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 569 posts | 34 
      Reply #5: Apr 11, 2015 12:08:10 am
      Vietto
      Pjanic
      Clyne
      Pappadapoulous
      Ings

Give me that and I think we are sorted.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #6: Apr 11, 2015 12:14:45 am
      Posted this in the FSG thread earlier Si so I couldn't agree more.  The bit in bold especially.

Sorry for the late reply mate, just got in from work. 

I have defended FSG many times, the same as I've criticised them when I've seen fit.  I'm not a "hater" like some, I see the good they are doing and how we've improved in a lot of areas of the Club.

I understand we don't have a bottomless pit of money, that we can't compete financially for transfers/wages with the "mega rich clubs", that we have to do things differently by developing our own whether bought in or through the Academy. 

I actually believe, and posted as much a couple of weeks ago, that I don't think they view our player acquisitions in the same way a lot of fans do ie a failure because there's still time for most of them to develop, in their eyes.  No they won't necessarily be good enough to play for us but they'll not make a huge loss when they're sold and if they make a small profit on them, then even better.

Having said all that, there is something critically wrong with our recruitment policy, from start to finish and only they can change it.  This summer could be huge for the Club if it hasn't been changed as another window without proven quality and experience could see this very young squad crumble.

Crumble as in the mental state and/or crumble because we're going knowing and more talent wants to leave and/or crumble because Brendan gets sacked due to having trouble fitting in another half dozen "potentials". 

Give him the right tools, that fit the job he needs them for and just watch this very young squad prosper and start winning Titles.  That's what I want them to do because I love this damn Club.

The biggest thing wrong with last summers transfers was failing to replace Luis' goals.

The absolute must for me now is that we spend the most we possibly can afford on a reliable 20+ goals a season striker. I don't care if it's all our budget, the midfield can wait for me and in any case we might already have a midfielder good enough at the Academy.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #7: Apr 11, 2015 12:38:50 am
      I think that boat has already sailed, mate. Last year, I would argue, was the club's most important year because last year we had the money available to buy those players you mention but the Committee/Brendan Rodgers decided to pursue a strategy of quantity over quality. If, as looks likely this year, we finish outside the top four, transfer budgets will be slashed in order to keep us on a financially upward trend which means another Summer of buying dross not fit to pull on the shirt. The further problem is that if we couldn't attract these kinds of players with Champions League football, we have no chance without. Unfortunately I feel we'll be paying for the mistakes of last Summer for years to come.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #8: Apr 11, 2015 12:50:34 am
      I think that boat has already sailed, mate. Last year, I would argue, was the club's most important year because last year we had the money available to buy those players you mention but the Committee/Brendan Rodgers decided to pursue a strategy of quantity over quality. If, as looks likely this year, we finish outside the top four, transfer budgets will be slashed in order to keep us on a financially upward trend which means another Summer of buying dross not fit to pull on the shirt. The further problem is that if we couldn't attract these kinds of players with Champions League football, we have no chance without. Unfortunately I feel we'll be paying for the mistakes of last Summer for years to come.

I still think we can attract players, world class ones? maybe not, but exceptional talents, I believe we still can... and if we manage to get one or two, who knows? might lead to a couple more?

We also have a big squad, a lot of deadwood, so I think we can still spend big and still have a decent net spend. We just need to take some risks this time round.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #9: Apr 11, 2015 01:24:23 am
      I still think we can attract players, world class ones? maybe not, but exceptional talents, I believe we still can... and if we manage to get one or two, who knows? might lead to a couple more?

We also have a big squad, a lot of deadwood, so I think we can still spend big and still have a decent net spend. We just need to take some risks this time round.

How many have we attracted in recent years? We've had no shortage of attempts but not one of them wanted to come to us. Not a single one. What's worse is our best players don't want to stay at the club, the latest being a twenty year old questioning the club's ambition. Not one of those players we bought last year would have turned us down if we'd not had Champions League football. We wanted Marco Reus, we got Markovic, we wanted Lacazette, we got Lambert and this was after finishing runners up and having automatic qualification in to the Champions League. What's the heights of our ambition for the coming Summer? Danny f**king Ings. I'd call him a one-season wonder except for the fact he's only scored nine goals. Forgive me if I don't share your optimism.
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #10: Apr 11, 2015 02:00:38 am
      I feel this is a summer we have to get right. Our last few transfer windows have been atrocious to be honest.

We have a plethora of young players and I love the fact that we nurture youngsters and we have the best manager who has the balls to give them their chance too.

Next season, the likes of Flanagan, Ilori, Texeira, Ibe and Origi should be playing in the first team and those five will be great additions to what we have had this season.

Now onto summer signings and I think it is imperative we buy players for the first team (we say this every year it seems) but we may have our hands tied behind our backs as far as money goes. We aren't really in a position to spend £30m on a player or too - especially if we miss out on the CL which seems likely. So in the summer we need to spend money wisely on players who have potential but with the potential the ability to feature in the first team AND make an impression.

In my opinion, we need a goalkeeper, right-back, defensive midfielder, central midfielder and striker as the bare minimum. My affordable options would be:-

Mat Ryan (Club Brugge)
      Martin Montoya (Barcelona)
      Geoffrey Kondogbia (Monaco) or Radja Naingollan (Roma)
      James Milner (Manchester City) or Yohan Cabaye (PSG)
      Luciano Vietto (Villarreal) or Saido Berahino (WBA)

Perhaps some of those names are not big name players but they are all capable of making an impression on the first team and would add quality to what we already have.  Plus they should be available for an outlay of around £50m all in (which should be do-able with player sales and perhaps a budget from FSG of around £25m).
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,191 posts | 1274 
      Reply #11: Apr 11, 2015 03:36:20 am
      Vietto
      Pjanic
      Clyne
      Pappadapoulous
      Ings

Give me that and I think we are sorted.

Not having a go at you mate, but isn't it ridiculous how we are STILL in for another central defender.

It's unreal - if I was Brendan, I'd stick it out with what we've got in CB at the moment, and invest in two central midfielders.

God knows, we need that covered - the only natural holding midfielder is Can and we need a lot more options here - preferable players with pace and physicality - something we lacks against Man Utd and Arsenal. Absolutely shocked how much lacking in pace we were against those teams.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #12: Apr 11, 2015 05:19:24 am
      Definitely a wasted opportunity when we wasted the Luis Suarez transfer fee. We have to get the transfers in and out right this next window or lots of tears will be shed next season.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #13: Apr 11, 2015 07:17:48 am
      I feel our season could have so different if we had been able to get Sanchez, one world class player could have made all the difference.
      We must buy quality, it may take a few quid more in wages to get the type of player that could make the difference, but everyone can see what need to be done.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #14: Apr 11, 2015 07:35:09 am
      Memphis Depay, Kevin de Bruyne, Miralem Pjanic, Lacazette and Umtiti and we're set.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #15: Apr 11, 2015 08:10:50 am
      The depressing realization even this summer is we're unable to 'add to the team' but have again ended up going for replacements.

Last summer was THE one, this window should have been adding to what we currently have. Sigh!
      « Last Edit: Apr 11, 2015 12:48:11 pm by Vicks86 »
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #16: Apr 11, 2015 11:30:08 am
      I had a feeling this thread might descend into people posting lisits of outs/ins which was something I was trying to steer clear of as we have a thread for that.

I was more looking to see what everyone thought about the mindset within the club in regards to where we are, where we've come from and what we need to do to aim to win the league.

I know it is a transrer discussion more or less but I think the individuals are less important to the type of player and the make up of our squad.

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #17: Apr 11, 2015 11:40:41 am
      I had a feeling this thread might descend into people posting lisits of outs/ins which was something I was trying to steer clear of as we have a thread for that.

I was more looking to see what everyone thought about the mindset within the club in regards to where we are, where we've come from and what we need to do to aim to win the league.

I know it is a transrer discussion more or less but I think the individuals are less important to the type of player and the make up of our squad.

Like I said, without Champions League football, the club will have less money to spend on players, both transfer fees and wages which lowers the quality we can afford and without the lure of the elite competition, make us even more undesirable as a club. Winning the FA Cup will not change that one bit. As for winning the league, that will take a miracle now, and top four will be dependent on other teams having an off year because all of them have increased financial muscle than us already with the gap growing year on year and all because we spent unwisely last Summer, buying the type of player you buy in your first year of rebuilding, not your third. But in the interests of humouring you, we need a top class, well rounded goal keeper, a top class Striker with 25 or more goals a season in him and a top class midfielder capable of taking a game by the scruff of its neck, allowing us to gain a measure of control over it. All these things we've lacked this season.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #18: Apr 11, 2015 11:54:57 am
      But in the interests of humouring you

No need to 'humour' me mate just give your thoughts. I'm not an idiot.

Fair enough you think we need three 'top class' players and don't think we can attract or afford them.

I'd be inclined to leave the goalkeeper as it is.

That leaves CM and a striker.

With Glen and Gerrard's wages off the books and clearing out the numerous players who don't contribute I feel the money is there to buy that striker. I'd even be inclined to leave midfield if the money wasn't there.

This league isn't that great below about 7th place and with one goal scorer our side I think we have a strong enough base to really go for it.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #19: Apr 11, 2015 01:14:24 pm
      No need to 'humour' me mate just give your thoughts. I'm not an idiot.

Fair enough you think we need three 'top class' players and don't think we can attract or afford them.

I'd be inclined to leave the goalkeeper as it is.

That leaves CM and a striker.

With Glen and Gerrard's wages off the books and clearing out the numerous players who don't contribute I feel the money is there to buy that striker. I'd even be inclined to leave midfield if the money wasn't there.

This league isn't that great below about 7th place and with one goal scorer our side I think we have a strong enough base to really go for it.

First off, I'm 'humouring' you because my previous replies where not as you intended the topic to be. I'm not insulting you.

Anyway, Mignolet, like all players, is a form player. So with that in mind, at some point Mignolet's form will drop again. Do you want to risk it being next season? Put all your eggs in the Brad Jones basket? Plus his all round game is sorely lacking so we need a keeper with a better all round game. His distribution is inaccurate and his lack of positional awareness has cost us more than one game during his time with us. The Top four all have better goal keepers than we currently do which is one of the reasons they're currently in the top four and we are not.

The midfield might score a lot of goals but it has no bite, no steel in it. Let's just be clear on how embarrassed we where by Arsenal. They bullied us off the ball. Arsenal. Bullied. That's unheard of and two words that normally wouldn't be in the same sentence. Whether or not Milner is the right player, I'm not so sure. He's another purchase based solely on him being English and being cheap rather than being what we need. That's not to say he's a bad player, just not necessarily the right player. We need someone who can impose himself on the game and through that, allow the team to wrest control from the opposition. Gerrard is the only player at the club currently able to do that. He's leaving so that needs to be replaced.

As for Johnson's and Gerrard's wages going off the books, we need to be looking in the £40-50 million bracket for the type of experienced striker that will give you 25 plus goals a season but we're not going to have near that money available for transfers if we loose out on the top four and that even assumes they'd want to come to a club with no big players, incapable of keeping its big players and has no Champions League Football next season. The money for winning the FA Cup is £1.8 million. The money for reaching the group stages of the Champions League is over £8.6 million. The FA Cup is meaningless as far as long term success goes and the longer we're out of it the wider the financial gap between the big four and ourselves becomes making it easier for them to bring in the players they need to ensure qualification each year.

We have failed to compete for the title this season because we've dropped 19 points against the bottom thirteen clubs in the league. Those nineteen points are the difference between our current position of fifth and our being three points clear at the top of the table. The reason we've lost to those teams was a combination of poor goalkeeping, being over run in midfield and not scoring enough goals. So what needs to be done is a strategy put in place that lays a frame work on how we're going to go about beating those teams and any transfers need to be made in accordance with that strategy. Beat those teams both home and away and you get 93 points which from those games, enough to win the league in most seasons without needing to win any team higher than eighth place. To achieve this you cannot base your recruitment policy on a player being young and/or British and/or cheap. You have to buy the right players regardless of what they cost. Some won't cost a lot, others will, so the club has to be prepared to overhaul its transfer policy with this in mind.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #20: Apr 11, 2015 01:28:21 pm
      The excuses are already in place, anyone expecting anything but another underwhelming summer is simply conning themselves.

As for most important summer, no that was last summer, we had the opportunity to kick on and grab players from the top table and we chose not to. We learned everything we needed to then and nothing will change.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #21: Apr 11, 2015 01:38:57 pm
      The excuses are already in place, anyone expecting anything but another underwhelming summer is simply conning themselves.

As for most important summer, no that was last summer, we had the opportunity to kick on and grab players from the top table and we chose not to. We learned everything we needed to then and nothing will change.
      I'm sure you're right Luke, but it will settle once and for all whether FSG need to take the blame for the transfer policy, if nothing changes, then its because the committee are following instructions as to the type of players we can buy. of course some will always refuse to blame our saviours, but the truth will be undeniable.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #22: Apr 11, 2015 01:59:12 pm
      I'm sure you're right Luke, but it will settle once and for all whether FSG need to take the blame for the transfer policy, if nothing changes, then its because the committee are following instructions as to the type of players we can buy. of course some will always refuse to blame our saviours, but the truth will be undeniable.

I actually don't think their policy is that bad. There are plenty of fantastic young players under 25 that can be bought. I would actually prefer us to buy those players than spend ridiculous amounts on 26+ year old players.

Look at Grizemann for example, he cost £24m, and his wages are below 90k. We just need better advisors and scouts for Rodgers.

Quick Reply