Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

FSG's Most Important Summer?

Read 39592 times
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Re: FSG's Most Important Summer?
      Reply #299: Apr 30, 2015 01:15:25 am
      His scouts and his preferred way to handle transfers. His scouts watch and recommend players.

Then they go through that statistical program and get a yes or no. But every player going through that is his player or his scouts' player.

Ayre doesn't choose players. He's the face of the club (shudder) when negotiations take place.

At least that's all the specifics that have come out about the committee.

It's amazing how many people choose not to grasp the simple process.

I notice that AZ posted the same article he did in response to one of my posts last week . Ayre and the committe don't sign the players without Brendan they are there part of a team/structure that operate their various roles on his recommendation.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #300: Apr 30, 2015 01:18:42 am
      That's the problem though isn't it?

would you say to any fans fearing it might illustrate a loss of faith or a reduced commitment now?

”I’m glad you asked that question because I have a very positive view about the transfer group at Liverpool.

“I feel that the work of our transfer group has really been excellent. You know Brendan has played a key role in it but its also important to acknowledge the work of Michael Edwards (Head of Analytics) and Dave Fallows (Head of Recruitment) and Barry Hunter (Chief Scout) and Ian Ayre as well as the work that John Henry and Mike Gordon (FSG) and I have done.

Obviously I am partial to the decisions that have been made but if you look at the players who were playing on the pitch on Tuesday against Tottenham, there was a lot of very positive play by a number of important contributors.

“When you go through it I am proud of it.

Why would you be partial to the decisions that were made if you did not have a hand in it?

Does the money come from Brendan's own back pocket?

Who else would purchase the players? You know Mike Gordon is FSG's primary stakeholder? Of course he would he partial to matters along with the two main figures of the group.

Don't tell me you're reading in to one quote and suggesting FSG have gone out and found some "young soccer players" and said to Brendan "here you go, now go on and do your job"?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #301: Apr 30, 2015 01:36:25 am
      Anyone that thinks that Mario Balotelli was a target identified by or wanted by Brendan is kidding themselves.

Brendan may very well get some of the players he wants (Lallana, Lovren for sure), but I guarantee that some of the players that are signed are not players that he would prefer to have, but he's going to take what he can get vs. not getting anything at all.

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #302: Apr 30, 2015 01:47:44 am
      Does the money come from Brendan's own back pocket?

Who else would purchase the players? You know Mike Gordon is FSG's primary stakeholder? Of course he would he partial to matters along with the two main figures of the group.

Don't tell me you're reading in to one quote and suggesting FSG have gone out and found some "young soccer players" and said to Brendan "here you go, now go on and do your job"?

No, the general consensus amongst journalists is that the Manager tells the committee what he needs. The committee look at statistical information and narrow it down. The scouts and/or the manager go watch the players. The suits then say whether we can afford it/whether it fits FSG's business model. The manager chooses from a short list of players. Now that in itself is perfectly fine but pretty much most journalists are in agreement that there's a division between the football people and the businessmen making for some god awful transfers.

They are the problem. Give the manager/committee a transfer and wages budget and let them determine how its spent. If they want to blow it all on one player, then let them. If they want to blow it all on ten players, let them. But it should be the football people's decision, not the business men. Now I don't know if this is true but it certainly rings true and the reputable sports journalists are going to know more than you or I on the matter.

The whole "Brendan chose Southampton players, the Committee chose the rest" crap was a rumour started in the tabloids and to the best of my knowledge, has never been confirmed as truth by the club and much like the narrative surrounding Rafa perpetrated by the media, a large section of fans have bought in to it hook, line and sinker.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #303: Apr 30, 2015 01:49:14 am
      Anyone that thinks that Mario Balotelli was a target identified by or wanted by Brendan is kidding themselves.

Brendan may very well get some of the players he wants (Lallana, Lovren for sure), but I guarantee that some of the players that are signed are not players that he would prefer to have, but he's going to take what he can get vs. not getting anything at all.

No, you're right. He much rather quickly pounce for Rickie Lambert and then have no back up plan to Alexis Sanchez.

But hold on, didn't Brendan sit down with Mario before signing him and give it his own personal tick of approval?

Don't kid yourself either, FL. Brendan can say yes or no to anyone. He said yes to Mario.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #304: Apr 30, 2015 01:53:07 am

Bollocks.

You don't play the I am skint and need marquee player card when you play a pivotal role in sanctioning a 16m move for Balotelli.

Brendan had every confidence in himself he will do what Mancini and Mourinho could not.

As I said he can't wash his hands completely from the mess, he need to take some responsibillity but he is not in it alone.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #305: Apr 30, 2015 03:17:26 am
      No, you're right. He much rather quickly pounce for Rickie Lambert and then have no back up plan to Alexis Sanchez.

But hold on, didn't Brendan sit down with Mario before signing him and give it his own personal tick of approval?

Don't kid yourself either, FL. Brendan can say yes or no to anyone. He said yes to Mario.

Yea you are right, after FSG wouldn't sanction the wages to get Sanchez, Brendan was presented with his take it or leave it option (Balotelli) and instead of having no one at all, he decided to take someone that he previously said would not be signed by LFC. Yea, I'm sure Brendan sanctioned it because all along it was his first choice, not his only (last) choice.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #306: Apr 30, 2015 04:46:34 am
      Yea you are right, after FSG wouldn't sanction the wages to get Sanchez

You started it off with a lie. So i'm not going to bother reading the rest.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #307: Apr 30, 2015 05:28:18 am
      You started it off with a lie. So i'm not going to bother reading the rest.
      Oh right, he just chose Arsenal because he liked London better.

I've got a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you bud.

harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #308: Apr 30, 2015 05:40:04 am
      Yea you are right, after FSG wouldn't sanction the wages to get Sanchez, Brendan was presented with his take it or leave it option (Balotelli) and instead of having no one at all, he decided to take someone that he previously said would not be signed by LFC. Yea, I'm sure Brendan sanctioned it because all along it was his first choice, not his only (last) choice.

Balo may well have been forced on Brendan by the transfer committee. However, Borini and Lambert were both 100% his signings and he is reluctant to use either of them ahead of Balo, so what does that say about the gaffer's transfer targets ???
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #309: Apr 30, 2015 10:54:56 am
      Balo may well have been forced on Brendan by the transfer committee. However, Borini and Lambert were both 100% his signings and he is reluctant to use either of them ahead of Balo, so what does that say about the gaffer's transfer targets ???

There has been F**k up on both sides but ultimately it’s a case of too many cooks...
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #310: Apr 30, 2015 11:07:51 am
      FSG need to back BR with some quality signings this 3 or 4 proven players.

If they don't then we will all agree the owners are the big failure's.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #311: Apr 30, 2015 11:16:55 am

bang on... then the thing that will happen, is they'll sack the Manager!!
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #312: Apr 30, 2015 11:20:44 am

They backed him last summer, but Rodgers and his committee failed :)
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #313: Apr 30, 2015 11:22:17 am
      Probably and some folk will get thier wish of new Manager.

Im still in limbo, but still 100% behind BR while he is the manager, and I think he deserves at least till xmas to put things right, given the few quality players needed..

But I do also see some merit in changing esp. with Rafa & Klopp being available in the summer, this might be the same connundrum the board will have.

Glad Im not in charge I change my mind too much. ;D
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #314: Apr 30, 2015 11:29:39 am
      They backed him last summer, but Rodgers and his committee failed :)

Yes agreed they did back him with squad players, some better than others. We could argue all day about how good they all where, I think most will come good. Like all clubs transfer policies are not always perfect, Id say 50% and that might be being kind.

But not with top top players, i.e. suarez replacement. Balo & Lambo was penny pinching by the board we all know that.

This summer we need a Gerrard & Johnson replacement as well as the suarez replacement.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #315: Jul 18, 2016 07:24:36 pm
      No point in opening another thread and (looking back) this one makes for such a good read anyways  ;) so...

What about it troops: Is this FSG's most important summer yet?
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #316: Jul 20, 2016 04:12:53 pm
      In my mind give me a Platinum striker, a gold mid-fielder
      What would you define as "platinum" and "gold" players Azed?  :confused-smiley-013:

The absolute must for me now is that we spend the most we possibly can afford on a reliable 20+ goals a season striker. I don't care if it's all our budget.
      We never did get that 20+ striker debs [or blow all our budget on him] Ah well.

Personally, as daft as it may seem, being as we have a number of strikers; I'd love us to get that type of player this summer too.  :nod:

As for most important summer, no that was last summer, we had the opportunity to kick on and grab players from the top table and we chose not to. We learned everything we needed to then and nothing will change.
      Totally agree Luke... "players from top table" would have been nice then and nice now too [in my opinion, obviously].  :nod:

Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #317: Jul 20, 2016 08:06:45 pm
      It does make for some interesting reading and I guess it proves football and football opinions are all swings and roundabouts.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #318: Jul 20, 2016 08:51:58 pm
      It does make for some interesting reading and I guess it proves football and football opinions are all swings and roundabouts.

Absolutely not it's all about ladders and slides ffs don't you know anything!? ;)
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #319: Jul 21, 2016 10:42:10 am
      I think it will the next summer that will be important to FSG and Klopp.

With us in CL, we will need to buy the right kind of players and that is time to see how much would FSG cough up.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #320: Jul 21, 2016 11:22:29 am
      I think it will the next summer that will be important to FSG and Klopp.

With us in CL, we will need to buy the right kind of players and that is time to see how much would FSG cough up.

Yep, with you on this mate, I think Jürgen feels he has enough to get us CL qualification for next season and will then bring the gold & platinum level players,

We've seen how difficult it is to attract those top drawer guys without CL so Jürgen will tweak here and there to get us in and amongst the top 4.

YNWA

Quick Reply