Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

FSG's Most Important Summer?

Read 39792 times
      Mad4LFC
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 989 posts | 81 
      Re: FSG's Most Important Summer?
      Reply #46: Apr 12, 2015 10:59:05 pm
      I think last summer was their most important and we saw how that went. I have no faith that this summer will be anything other than underwhelming. I am all for uncovering gems and developing youth but at some point you have to add proven, experienced, difference makers.

We need more goals, so go get someone that can create their own scoring chances. We need more steel in midfield, so go get soneone to provide that.

Last season was fu**ed the point we didn't get Sanchez,we put all eggs in the basket and in his own words he chose the night life of London. We need to pick our next targets very carefully.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,170 posts | 4904 
      Reply #47: Apr 12, 2015 11:12:34 pm
      Last season was fu**ed the point we didn't get Sanchez,we put all eggs in the basket and in his own words he chose the night life of London. We need to pick our next targets very carefully.

Agree.

Identify early if the player will come here and what it will take to get them. If not move on.

Apart from the money I think we need a player with big character as well which I briefly talked about in the OP. Someone, for example, who will come in and think he is better than Daniel Sturridge and will score more goals than him.

Suarez arrived and automatically knew he was the best player in our side and acted like it.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,264 posts | 6366 
      Reply #48: Apr 12, 2015 11:16:26 pm
      Agree.

Identify early if the player will come here and what it will take to get them. If not move on.

Apart from the money I think we need a player with big character as well which I breifly talked about in the OP. Someone, for example, who will come in and think he is better than Daniel Sturridge and will score more goals than him.

Suarez arrived and automatically knew he was the best player in our side and acted like it.

Zlatan?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,170 posts | 4904 
      Reply #49: Apr 12, 2015 11:23:34 pm

Not for me mate but you get the idea.

It doesn't even have to be an experienced player like Zlatan.

If this Lacazette kid is all he's cracked up to be it could be someone like that. Someone who has a bit of a track record, like Luis, but with that arrogance and confidence to come staright in and act like he belongs.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #50: Apr 12, 2015 11:31:26 pm
      Right now the entire commercial plan at Liverpool makes absolutely no financial sense. We have a smaller stadium than our rivals (which we can't do anything about other than what we are already doing), baring some miracle we're going to loose out on TV revenue through failure to qualify for the Champions League so one would think that we'd want to maximise on our merchandising, especially shirt sales of big players. But who are the shirt sellers at Liverpool Football Club now? From what I can find out, the most popular is Gerrard, followed by Balotelli, Sturridge and Sterling and we're facing potentially (probably) three of those four players not being at Liverpool next season.

As I've said before, the fact we're linked with Danny Ings, a Striker with nine goals to his name this season - that's three more than Sterling, Gerrard and Henderson have, all of whom are midfielders - pretty much makes the case for yet another underwhelming Summer. Danny Ings isn't going to cause queue at the official store (or anywhere else for that matter) for his replica shirt, neither would I think James Milner will. So unless we change tract and bend over backwards to bring some big names to the club this Summer, our revenue is going to take a two way hit next season, making any potential transfer kitty all the smaller.

But given that we lack Champions League Football and are probably loosing three of our biggest names at the club, signing top players this year is going to be infinitely more difficult than last Summer. We missed the boat and we're going to pay the price for a long time to come.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,170 posts | 4904 
      Reply #51: Apr 12, 2015 11:35:04 pm
      Right now the entire commercial plan at Liverpool makes absolutely no financial sense. We have a smaller stadium than our rivals (which we can't do anything about other than what we are already doing), baring some miracle we're going to loose out on TV revenue through failure to qualify for the Champions League so one would think that we'd want to maximise on our merchandising, especially shirt sales of big players. But who are the shirt sellers at Liverpool Football Club now? From what I can find out, the most popular is Gerrard, followed by Balotelli, Sturridge and Sterling and we're facing potentially (probably) three of those four players not being at Liverpool next season.

As I've said before, the fact we're linked with Danny Ings, a Striker with nine goals to his name this season - that's three more than Sterling, Gerrard and Henderson have, all of whom are midfielders - pretty much makes the case for yet another underwhelming Summer. Danny Ings isn't going to cause queue at the official store (or anywhere else for that matter) for his replica shirt, neither would I think James Milner will. So unless we change tract and bend over backwards to bring some big names to the club this Summer, our revenue is going to take a two way hit next season, making any potential transfer kitty all the smaller.

But given that we lack Champions League Football and are probably loosing three of our biggest names at the club, signing top players this year is going to be infinitely more difficult than last Summer. We missed the boat and we're going to pay the price for a long time to come.

Excellent point on the shirt sales mate.

Another reason why I think we need to bin the strategy from previous tansfer windows and go 'all in' and spend on one, and if it's there, two signings that are of the highest quality.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #52: Apr 13, 2015 03:47:47 am
      First things first and barring some sort of disaster Brendan Rodgers will be the manager come the start of next season

I don't see how we could call this season anything short of a disaster considering we finished 2nd last season, spent almost £100m in transfer fees in the summer, and not only didn't challenge again for the title but probably won't even finish in the top four.

going from second to fifth or sixth after spending £100m seems quite disastrous to me mate.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,514 posts | 1766 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #53: Apr 13, 2015 08:17:32 am
      Every summer is important for any owners, actually every season, every month, every day is important.

There is no try on do.

#wisewordsofyoda
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #54: Apr 13, 2015 10:00:03 am
      I don't see how we could call this season anything short of a disaster considering we finished 2nd last season, spent almost £100m in transfer fees in the summer, and not only didn't challenge again for the title but probably won't even finish in the top four.

going from second to fifth or sixth after spending £100m seems quite disastrous to me mate.

It's an unmitigated disaster but he's enacting their policies and they will look at it as a hiccup towards their long term goal of success, i.e. young players take time to develop, which is why I not only feel he'll be in charge next season but nothing will change with the recruitment policy. Despite everyone from local reporters to fans to national media saying Liverpool needs to change its recruitment policy, I think FSG are just too intransigent on this issue.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #55: Apr 13, 2015 10:46:58 am
      I've said it before many times that our owners don't view the footballing side of the business the same way as the fans do.  I don't think they see the correlation that success on the pitch leads to success off it.  Hopefully after the drop off this season they'll realise that they can't afford to continue down this path as I believe without one or two real quality, proven players in the summer, all the good work and money spent will go down the drain.

We're on the cusp of having a truly excellent squad that can compete for many years to come but we need proven winners to take us to that level, fail to get them and it could all unravel, setting us back for years to come.

We're about to lose far too much experience and leadership from the squad, they may not be commanding a starting place every week but that doesn't mean we won't miss those qualities and this young squad need players to respect, to look upto, to learn from if they're ever to achieve their potential.

I understand how people think that last summer was the important one but for me, this summer is crucial if their own plan is ever going to work.  There should be no excuses this time as the money is there to cover a couple of big contracts, we're about to lose around £600,000 a week off the wage bill so let's see if they've got balls big enough to take the risk.

JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #56: Apr 13, 2015 10:55:08 am
      I've said it before many times that our owners don't view the footballing side of the business the same way as the fans do.  I don't think they see the correlation that success on the pitch leads to success off it.  Hopefully after the drop off this season they'll realise that they can't afford to continue down this path as I believe without one or two real quality, proven players in the summer, all the good work and money spent will go down the drain.

We're on the cusp of having a truly excellent squad that can compete for many years to come but we need proven winners to take us to that level, fail to get them and it could all unravel, setting us back for years to come.

We're about to lose far too much experience and leadership from the squad, they may not be commanding a starting place every week but that doesn't mean we won't miss those qualities and this young squad need players to respect, to look upto, to learn from if they're ever to achieve their potential.

I understand how people think that last summer was the important one but for me, this summer is crucial if their own plan is ever going to work.  There should be no excuses this time as the money is there to cover a couple of big contracts, we're about to lose around £600,000 a week off the wage bill so let's see if they've got balls big enough to take the risk.

agree with this!!

will they go for it or stick with thier plan?

:-\
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #57: Apr 13, 2015 11:28:48 am
      agree with this!!

will they go for it or stick with thier plan?

:-\

The ball's in their court mate, only they can change/adapt/tweak their plan/vision of where this great Club is heading and this summer could be it's turning point for better or worse. 

There's an unease developing amongst the fanbase, divisions are being created, the locals feel disenfranchised due to ticket allocations and prices, the atmosphere is suffering. 

Fans who have been critical of or worried about "growing our own world class players" due to them wanting to leave before they've fully developed has already started to happen and we seem to be alienating our long serving experienced players with the contracts they're being offered.  There's a fear that Brendan will be blamed and subsequently sacked in the summer due to this seasons failures, rather than accepting their recruitment policy is failing to bring in the right players to take us forwards.

I'm not looking forward to what awaits us this summer but I'm still optimistic that as successful Businessmen they'll realise a slight change is needed if they're to get the maximum return on their investment.

JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #58: Apr 13, 2015 11:47:25 am
      The ball's in their court mate, only they can change/adapt/tweak their plan/vision of where this great Club is heading and this summer could be it's turning point for better or worse. 

There's an unease developing amongst the fanbase, divisions are being created, the locals feel disenfranchised due to ticket allocations and prices, the atmosphere is suffering. 

Fans who have been critical of or worried about "growing our own world class players" due to them wanting to leave before they've fully developed has already started to happen and we seem to be alienating our long serving experienced players with the contracts they're being offered.  There's a fear that Brendan will be blamed and subsequently sacked in the summer due to this seasons failures, rather than accepting their recruitment policy is failing to bring in the right players to take us forwards.

I'm not looking forward to what awaits us this summer but I'm still optimistic that as successful Businessmen they'll realise a slight change is needed if they're to get the maximum return on their investment.

They could really do with some "football people" in there... because if its left to them solely, i can’t see ‘em doing the necessary!

Ive asked the question before, but do you think they could look at the manager and move him on?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,601 posts | 3841 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #59: Apr 13, 2015 12:02:14 pm
      "FSG's Most Important Summer?" Last Summer.

Money was there [City & Chelsea type money  ;)]; kudos [Champions League football] was there and title rivals were on the ropes [just like the season before btw] and just like the previous season...

The same path was chosen - potential quality & low financial risk over proven quality with higher financial risk. A, long-term, well documented, strategy which might, (it's still being argued), eventually, maybe, perhaps, somewhere down the line, deliver a title-winning team. A strategy which has at it's heart finance and 'good business practice' rather than football... better to risk football success than profit.

The Club's, footballing, objectives/goals, for this season were set out: consolidation in a Champions League qualifying place - with our signings it was the best we could hope for, really - the manger referenced it and many fans (even tho' they were "happy with our transfer business"  :-\) acknowledged it. There was "always next season" after all.

Well... "next season" is soon to be upon us and whilst I believe that there's still a chance that we can qualify for the Champions League; I want our targets set higher than that next season. In my opinion: a move away (if even only temporarily) from the business-centric, 'potential quality', transfer policy towards a more football-centric 'proven quality' view is what's needed.

Are we a season (or two) too late? I hope not but hey... if not this Summer - there's always next year; right?   :angel:

I agree with that.
      Last Summer was the summer.

Massive windfall from Suarez.
      Back in the Champions League.

Should have taken top talent from across Europe.
      Instead we pumped most of the Suarez money into Southampton,
      and then didn't replace the best player in the league/world last season.

fu**ed it up. Allowed United back into the Champions League.
      Should have rectified the striker problem in January.
      Bottled it.

If a club is to have ambition it should be at the very top of it.
      Instead Suarez and Sturridge toiled to get Liverpool into the Champions League and the "SAS"
      never saw a second of it for Liverpool.

2 most prolific strikers in the league last season.
      We lost them (Through sale and injury).
      The replacement of them was non existent.
      That failure needs to be rectified.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #60: Apr 13, 2015 12:23:16 pm
      It's an interesting point you make there, Racer, in that we pumped most of the money we had in the Summer in to Southampton's coffers. It's interesting because of the difference in recruitment policies between our clubs. They invested that money wisely, replacing the areas they lost players in, strengthening in other areas they felt the where weak in. We just splurged a load of money in a scatter gun approach to increasing squad size. Southampton develop young talent through their academy but they're not afraid to bring in established and experienced talent alongside that. Their targeted approach to transfers and their openness to blend experienced with youth is one of the reasons they've been so successful this season. Our refusal to do the same is the reason for our lack of it.
      Mad4LFC
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 989 posts | 81 
      Reply #61: Apr 13, 2015 12:31:33 pm
      It's an interesting point you make there, Racer, in that we pumped most of the money we had in the Summer in to Southampton's coffers. It's interesting because of the difference in recruitment policies between our clubs. They invested that money wisely, replacing the areas they lost players in, strengthening in other areas they felt the where weak in. We just splurged a load of money in a scatter gun approach to increasing squad size. Southampton develop young talent through their academy but they're not afraid to bring in established and experienced talent alongside that. Their targeted approach to transfers and their openness to blend experienced with youth is one of the reasons they've been so successful this season. Our refusal to do the same is the reason for our lack of it.

You really hate the owners that much you think United spent more wisely :lmao: :lmao:, Di Maria, Rojo and Falcao on the bench at the weekend and have been dropped because the coach favours Felanni, Mata, and Jones players they already had so tell me how they have strengthened in the right positions.

If we had spent that sort of money on just them three we would be in a mess under FFP rules as well as no much better off on the pitch. Then add Luke Shaw into the mix who the manager said he didnt rate and was unfit at beginning of the season.

So of all the great signings you state united made to improve them only Blind has started regular, but knowing united fans they are happy that Carick replaces him when he is fit and are fuming they let Fletcher go.

Yeah the throwing money at signings really works.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #62: Apr 13, 2015 12:34:35 pm
      They could really do with some "football people" in there... because if its left to them solely, i can’t see ‘em doing the necessary!

Ive asked the question before, but do you think they could look at the manager and move him on?

I agree on the "football people" mate.  When I hear other Coaches/Managers saying that there are too many "suits" influencing footballing matters (recruitment and contracts) then it's got to be a concern.  It's the little details that matter though, Brendan may be the "Manager" in name but really he's seen as the "Coach".  They wanted a DoF but Brendan refused to work under one but with all the problems we've had with recruitment they may decide to insist on one.  Will that force Brendans hand on whether he stays?

The bolded bit tbh mate, I've absolutely no idea as posted above.  For comparisons sake even if we win the FA Cup but finish outside the CL places, they could decide to sack him because they sacked Kenny for similar, so it's possible.  There again, Kenny wasn't who they wanted to deliver their vision so maybe not but again as above they may go back to their original plan of a DoF and a different  Head Coach.

We really shouldn't be in such a period of unrest and uncertainty though after nearly 5 years of their Ownership.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #63: Apr 13, 2015 12:38:45 pm
      You really hate the owners that much you think United spent more wisely :lmao: :lmao:, Di Maria, Rojo and Falcao on the bench at the weekend and have been dropped because the coach favours Felanni, Mata, and Jones players they already had so tell me how they have strengthened in the right positions.

If we had spent that sort of money on just them three we would be in a mess under FFP rules as well as no much better off on the pitch. Then add Luke Shaw into the mix who the manager said he didnt rate and was unfit at beginning of the season.

So of all the great signings you state united made to improve them only Blind has started regular, but knowing united fans they are happy that Carick replaces him when he is fit and are fuming they let Fletcher go.

Yeah the throwing money at signings really works.

I never mentioned United  :roll:
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #64: Apr 13, 2015 01:13:27 pm
      I agree with that.
      Last Summer was the summer.

Massive windfall from Suarez.
      Back in the Champions League.

Should have taken top talent from across Europe.
      Instead we pumped most of the Suarez money into Southampton,
      and then didn't replace the best player in the league/world last season.

fu**ed it up. Allowed United back into the Champions League.
      Should have rectified the striker problem in January.
      Bottled it.

If a club is to have ambition it should be at the very top of it.
      Instead Suarez and Sturridge toiled to get Liverpool into the Champions League and the "SAS"
      never saw a second of it for Liverpool.

2 most prolific strikers in the league last season.
      We lost them (Through sale and injury).
      The replacement of them was non existent.
      That failure needs to be rectified.

How could anyone disagree!!
      The failure to use the Suarez departure and the dosh involved adequately as a springboard, has left us in the F***ing brown stuff we are now consumed by.
      Four years of bullshit long term aspiration could have been rectified at a stroke and we could have been now kicking on.
      Instead of which we now have five years of the same bullshit long term aspiration but the post Suarez issues have now become entrenched with the fee no longer an ingredient of any solution.
      All we have to juggle is bullshit long term aspiration.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #65: Apr 13, 2015 02:44:20 pm
      Scary, ain't it?  :-\

As Mark Twain said - "A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read."
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,170 posts | 4904 
      Reply #66: Apr 13, 2015 02:46:16 pm

Some see what they want to see mate.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #67: Apr 13, 2015 03:02:26 pm
      "FSG's Most Important Summer?" Last Summer.

I quite agree with that. I once started a thread using baseball terminology/thinking to analyse our situation, particularly the "rebuilding" vs "win now" attitudes that are so commonly used to describe dealings by MLB teams.

I think last summer was the moment to turn the key for the "win now" mode for the many reasons you mentioned. We actually spent a lot and in areas of the pitch we really needed reinforcements - fullbacks, upfront, defensive midfielder, etc - but in hindsight the level of those signings is what has been most disappointing.

This summer is important? Absolutely. We should do our best to ensure last season wasn't just a fluke. But last summer (and last season in general, though for different reasons) really was a missed opportunity.
      Mad4LFC
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 989 posts | 81 
      Reply #68: Apr 13, 2015 03:06:53 pm

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt as surely you don't think Shane long was a bargain or that Mane wasnt a gamble or we should of gone for Gados.

But you are right on one thing, one person they did get right was the manager.

Quick Reply