Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Crunch time.

Read 13915 times
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Crunch time.
      Apr 16, 2015 01:31:12 pm
      We are approaching the crucial phase of the season and Brendanā€™s career.
      The consensus seems to be that either we will end the season in 5th place with nothing or we will win the FA cup.

I am a fan of the manager, but, if the first of those options come to pass the owners will have to take a long hard look at the direction at which we are heading. As I have pointed out before we can reasonably expect to come fifth given the financial disparity we have with our rivals but the strategy we are pursuing is to punch above our weight.

Another season without winning anything will put the managerā€™s position under pressure. The football we are playing can be nice to watch, and at times explosive, however the mark that separates a good manager from an also-ran is the ability to drag the team over the winning line. We have not done that enough in the clutch matches or those against the top teams. The problem of our naĆÆve play remains our biggest issue.

As we know, itā€™s important to win minor competitions on the road towards winning the major ones. An FA cup victory would boost confidence throughout the entire team and give us a platform from which we could push on. That job starts with Villa on the 19th then is likely to conclude against Arsenal on the 30th May. Chances of success I would put at around 35% from this point.

But there is another, bigger prize.

We have consistently seen arguments that the ā€œ4th place cupā€ means nothing but consider what would happen if we were to beat either United or City to 4th ā€“ unlikely but still possible. First of all it would make a massive difference for the future of the club. Players want to come here to play in the Champions League. The money we would gain to reinvest in the squad would be massive. Secondly it would mean a big setback for either of the Manchester clubs. In Unitedā€™s case, potentially a generational setback. Thirdly, and most importantly, it would mean that we had put together a consistent run of form meaning we had won pretty much all of our remaining games and sustaining pressure on our rivals.

The likelihood of us achieving this is about 5% therefore, if Brendan could pull it off, it would demonstrate a much greater achievement than winning the FA cup and with a greater prize at the end. Because the odds are so low, the pressure should be off and we should be able to play like we have nothing to lose.

Winning sequences of pressure matches is what the job is all about at this level. How the team approaches this phase of the season will tell us a lot about whether Brendan is the right man for the job in the long term.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Re: Crunch time.
      Reply #1: Apr 16, 2015 02:08:58 pm
      A knock out competition, be it 1 leg or 2, is a skill that Brendan has to learn. This season has been his best by a country mile.

Up until this season his record in cups has been really bad. This seasons league cup run was the first time as manger he'd managed ANY team past ANY 5th round, of ANY cup competition. And now he has his second semi-final in 3 months...

he is learning too so I hope the owners understand this and give him the time he deserves

The FA cup is a good distraction to have, but, 4th place isnt over! I hope his outlook in the 7 league games isnt clouded by "A Wembley Dream"
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #2: Apr 16, 2015 02:11:55 pm
      I think 5th in the league is now looking the most likely outcome. It's equally possible we could finish 6th or 7th as it is 4th, but regardless of the final outcome I wouldn't be advocating a managerial change. Brendan took over in  a situation where we hadn't challenged for the Champions league in any way shape or form for three seasons under three different managers, and in his three attempts he's almost won the league once, had us nowhere near in his first pop, and has come close this time.

The acid test for any manager is IMHO would we do better with someone else at the helm under the same circumstances. I'm pretty sure we wouldn't, aside from if we got in one of the true managerial world heavyweights who would attract players to the club purely based on their record and personality (there are only a couple and I won't name them here for fear of starting a sub-argument). Indeed, excellent manager though I believe Brendan is, unless we at the very least tinker with our philosophy visa vis buying players and contracts, I think it is almost impossible to expect any manager to have us doing appreciably better.

As far as the FA Cup is concerned, of course it would be great to win it but I'd be reluctant to decide a managers future based on our success or otherwise in knock out tournaments. It's more the manner of the thing which ought to be looked at, if we went down with a whimper against Villa it would be extremely worrying, whereas if we lose a five goal thriller in the final against Arsenal I'd call it a good effort. We're going to need a little luck in order to win it (as you always do) and that oughtn't to define a managers reign, successful or not.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #3: Apr 16, 2015 03:08:27 pm
      I agree our performance should be examined here.

If we win all our remaining league matches and miss out because United and City have won all theirs then fair does.

If we fold in the league but fluke the cup then questions have to be asked.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #4: Apr 16, 2015 03:34:34 pm
      i think FSG and the BR when they sit down need to be realistic, we are not a top 4 team at the moment reagardless of last season and that's down to the fact that not many of our players are of that standard.. YET.
      They also need to put worth on Europa because if we are in it then we need to win it as thats a CL place meaning finishing 4th is not the be all and end all, so for domestic cup games rest out main players and when we have a Europa game then play strongest team for that and if it means we have to rest players for our nxt league game or bench them so be it. unless we right it off and just play the fridge players in it till its the KO stages there's no point doing both. WE dont have the squad good enough to play a game then another 3 days later. Chelsea,city,Arsenal even can bench a player after a CL game we cant as we have a solid 11 not a solid 20 who are good enough..yet
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #5: Apr 17, 2015 10:08:03 pm
      It seems sensible to continue the discussion in here about the Klopp situation.

A lot of people have questioned the "ambition" of the owners which is incredibly stupid. They are here to succeed - and by doing so make a lot of money. Anyone without an agenda looking at their background would do nothing other than conclude they have massively succeeded in life by taking spectacular, but calculated, risks.

It seems to me that the next few weeks will have massive repercussions for the future of the club.

Just as Torres could be replaced, Brendan knows he would have to perform well relative to the marketplace  or he would come under huge pressure.

The question would be what if we come fifth and runner-up in the FA cup but we have looked to be hugely improving and dominating matches?

Or what if we look absolutely awful, come fourth because City implode and win the FA cup because Arsenal get two men sent off?

If Klopp genuinely is on the market it would be crazy for the owners not to have considered him and Brendan knows that.

The odd thing is that Man City is in the equation for one of europe's top managers so it changes things entirely since he is not the right profile for their club. Ideally they need a Rafa or Guardiola in.

Intruigingly, had Gerrard not slipped and we had won the league last year, Brendan would also have been a target for City.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #6: Apr 17, 2015 10:13:12 pm
      It seems sensible to continue the discussion in here about the Klopp situation.

A lot of people have questioned the "ambition" of the owners which is incredibly stupid. They are here to succeed - and by doing so make a lot of money. Anyone without an agenda looking at their background would do nothing other than conclude they have massively succeeded in life by taking spectacular, but calculated, risks.

It seems to me that the next few weeks will have massive repercussions for the future of the club.

Just as Torres could be replaced, Brendan knows he would have to perform well relative to the marketplace  or he would come under huge pressure.

The question would be what if we come fifth and runner-up in the FA cup but we have looked to be hugely improving and dominating matches?

Or what if we look absolutely awful, come fourth because City implode and win the FA cup because Arsenal get two men sent off?

If Klopp genuinely is on the market it would be crazy for the owners not to have considered him and Brendan knows that.

The odd thing is that Man City is in the equation for one of europe's top managers so it changes things entirely since he is not the right profile for their club. Ideally they need a Rafa or Guardiola in.

Intruigingly, had Gerrard not slipped and we had won the league last year, Brendan would also have been a target for City.

Your not taking a step back with Klopp but am I not at all convinced it would be a step forward either, what it would mean is our 4th manager in 5 years under FSG and too me that is not a recipe for long term success.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,182 posts | 4404 
      Reply #7: Apr 17, 2015 10:21:58 pm
      Your not taking a step back with Klopp but am I not at all convinced it would be a step forward either, what it would mean is our 4th manager in 5 years under FSG and too me that is not a recipe for long term success.

Step forward or backwards Klopp would bring a wealth of European experience be that in the Europa league or looking unlikely for us the Champions league. And dare I say it without being shot down a track record of success on a minimal budget.

And every one loves a heavy metal rocker........!
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #8: Apr 17, 2015 10:23:28 pm
      Possibly but there are examples of elite-level modern teams frequently changing their manager and winning - Chelsea and, far more pertinently, City who have progressed with this method.

The question to ask is whether the replacement has driven the club onto the next level or not. Looking back was it right to move on Hodgson and Kenny when we did? Should they be trusted to make the right decision on when to move on the current manager, whenever that day would be?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,182 posts | 4404 
      Reply #9: Apr 17, 2015 10:28:27 pm
      Possibly but there are examples of elite-level modern teams frequently changing their manager and winning - Chelsea and, far more pertinently, City who have progressed with this method.

The question to ask is whether the replacement has driven the club onto the next level or not. Looking back was it right to move on Hodgson and Kenny when we did? Should they be trusted to make the right decision on when to move on the current manager, whenever that day would be?

It was absolutely right to move Hodgosaurus and Kenny on so by that logic when a elite level manager becomes available it needs to be considered seriously.
      LFC and Klopp is the perfect fit for both clubs. I'm not advocating Rodgers is sacked but the lure of Klopp I admit is tempting.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #10: Apr 17, 2015 10:38:55 pm
      I'm not advocating Rodgers is sacked but the lure of Klopp I admit is tempting.

I think it'll be tempting to our owners too, how tempting will more than likely depend on how well or badly we finish the season.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #11: Apr 17, 2015 10:42:03 pm
      It was absolutely right to move Hodgosaurus and Kenny on so by that logic when a elite level manager becomes available it needs to be considered seriously.
      LFC and Klopp is the perfect fit for both clubs. I'm not advocating Rodgers is sacked but the lure of Klopp I admit is tempting.

Just hilarious.
      I want some of what you're on.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,218 posts | 4919 
      Reply #12: Apr 17, 2015 10:45:35 pm
      Should they be trusted to make the right decision on when to move on the current manager, whenever that day would be?

This a very good question Hollywood and a reason why I, and many others I suspect, would be wary of getting rid of Brendan. I would worry that FSG will not make the right decision the next time and pick a 'lesser' Brendan Rodgers.

You could argue, and I'm not advocating sacking the manager here, that Klopp is so glaringly obvious a great fit for us as a club thet even FSG couldn't get that wrong.

Right man at the wrong time perhaps unless FSG are going to show a ruthless streak even we thought was beyond them.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #13: Apr 17, 2015 10:49:07 pm
      This a very good question Hollywood and a reason why I, and many others I suspect, would be wary of getting rid of Brendan. I would worry that FSG will not make the right decision the next time and pick a 'lesser' Brendan Rodgers.

You could argue, and I'm not advocating sacking the manager here, that Klopp is so glaringly obvious a great fit for us as a club thet even FSG couldn't get that wrong.

Right man at the worng time perhaps unless FSG are going to show a ruthless streak even we thought was beyond them.

It's a massive dilemma Si so let's hope they do get it right whatever they decide.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,182 posts | 4404 
      Reply #14: Apr 17, 2015 10:50:41 pm
      Just hilarious.
      I want some of what you're on.

Marlborough Savignon Blanc moving onto a Jim beam  ;D

Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #15: Apr 17, 2015 10:51:57 pm

Right man at the worng time perhaps unless FSG are going to show a ruthless streak even we thought was beyond them.

Either way it will be a good sign.

We haven't won the league for about as long as Everton.

Apart from blind luck, the main characteristic that is going to determine our eventual success is how ruthless we are prepared to be.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,218 posts | 4919 
      Reply #16: Apr 17, 2015 10:53:25 pm
      Either way it will be a good sign.

We haven't won the league for about as long as Everton.

Apart from blind luck, the main characteristic that is going to determine our eventual success is how ruthless we are prepared to be.

I agree.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #17: Apr 18, 2015 12:22:56 am
      Marlborough Savignon Blanc moving onto a Jim beam  ;D

sh*t.
      Lightweight.

dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,008 posts | 3352 
      Reply #18: Apr 18, 2015 02:29:36 am
      Liverpool appoint Bill Shankly in 59, fast forward 50 years and we get as close to winning the League as we have done since we last won it in 1990. In that time we have eight managers.

The six years that follow, we have four managers and are already talking about our fifth in six years.

F**k me how the times have changed. F**k giving a manager time, F**k backing the manager, let's just sack him if he doesn't get us success (fourth F***ing place) and bring in the latest billy big bollocks with a great track record. Alternatively, we could stick with the manager we've got, the same manager who took us even closer to winning the League than that of 2009, and actually get behind him once and for all rather than just waiting for him to fail so we can all stick the knife in. Let's be totally F***ing honest that's what some on here are waiting for.

Rodgers is the Liverpool manager and talking about any replacement goes against everything that Liverpool Football Club is about. Oh aye, let's just totally dismiss the current manager and talk about his replacements before the fella has even been relieved of his duties of the club. Modern day fans make me F***ing sick. Haven't got a F***ing clue what supporting this club is about half of them.
      nikos
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 637 posts | 123 
      Reply #19: Apr 18, 2015 11:24:31 am
      All this verbose rant about the manager all from the most widely circulating media to the simplest fans' arguing does nothing but poisoning the climate within the team ahead of vital tests for the club's future.

We wish for silverware that we so desperately miss as well as 4th place in the league and we question the manager so tangibly this time (and therefore the side as a whole-it's his team at the end of the day) by suggesting some other manager would fit better. 

Suicidals are we?
      « Last Edit: Apr 18, 2015 12:27:44 pm by nikos »
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #20: Apr 18, 2015 01:59:27 pm
      Who should we have given more time to? Hodge? Kenny?

People can't have it both ways. Either FSG are showing a lack of ambition or they are not.

Employing Klopp, who is one of the top managers in Europe would now represent the most ambitious move for the club that's why Brendan knows he has to deliver. Same goes for Pellegrini - though I think in his case he is already gone.

No-one lives in a bubble, the stakes are too high.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #21: Apr 18, 2015 02:09:52 pm
      Liverpool appoint Bill Shankly in 59, fast forward 50 years and we get as close to winning the League as we have done since we last won it in 1990. In that time we have eight managers.

The six years that follow, we have four managers and are already talking about our fifth in six years.

F**k me how the times have changed. F**k giving a manager time, F**k backing the manager, let's just sack him if he doesn't get us success (fourth F***ing place) and bring in the latest billy big bollocks with a great track record. Alternatively, we could stick with the manager we've got, the same manager who took us even closer to winning the League than that of 2009, and actually get behind him once and for all rather than just waiting for him to fail so we can all stick the knife in. Let's be totally F***ing honest that's what some on here are waiting for.

Rodgers is the Liverpool manager and talking about any replacement goes against everything that Liverpool Football Club is about. Oh aye, let's just totally dismiss the current manager and talk about his replacements before the fella has even been relieved of his duties of the club. Modern day fans make me F***ing sick. Haven't got a F***ing clue what supporting this club is about half of them.

Post of the year for me.

Drives me up the F***ing wall seeing what some post about the manager.
      Just so we're clear, I'm not totally convinced by BR, but the positives far outweigh the negatives.

As a club and as (some) a set of fans, we seem to have lost our way a bit, but going through managers like a demented WAG isn't going to solve anything.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,526 posts | 719 
      Reply #22: Apr 18, 2015 02:25:03 pm
      Klopp sucks.

Get over it

Quick Reply