Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

Crunch time.

Read 13913 times
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,742 posts | 569 
      Re: Crunch time.
      Reply #46: Apr 20, 2015 10:54:55 am
      Just as we finally have confirmation that this season is over, the pressure is off and our players and managers can acheive nothing. I predict we will now start winning games. This will add to the summer hype that we finish the season strongly like on so many other occasions when we are playing for fun. No hope of champions leagues, no pressure to get in the FA Cup final side, no chance of anything other than Europa league.

I predict we will win 5 out of 6 - worrying when you think about how weak mentally we are.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #47: Apr 20, 2015 11:39:14 am
      The manager of the club has to be suited to the task that the team faces.

Rafa, for example, would probably be a failure managing at an English 4th division club. The players at that level simply don't have the intelligence or skill to integrate his ideas. In a similar vein, Hodgson would fail at Barcelona for the opposite reason.

When the owners first came to the club, Hodgson was regarded as a "safe" pair of hands on his previous record and, on that basis, FSG kept hold of him whilst making their alternate plans. As soon as his competency began to be exposed he was dismissed and a manager brought in to bring the club together.

Kenny did precisely that and performed so well as the caretaker that they were forced to keep him on. Unfortunately his style of football was not going to be the right choice for the long term as it could never compete with the better financed clubs in the league - which is where our ambitions should lie.

When the wheels fell off FSG were able to bring "their" man in for the first time. Plan - to use tactical flexibility and youth to play attacking football and make the whole greater tthan the sum of its parts. The aim was to put the foundations in place to bring the team together cohesively so that it would mature in three to fours years time to compete for the league. In the event, Suarez was almost the magic ingredient that pushed us over the finishing line years ahead of schedule but ultimately we failed.

Currently, we are a team with a reasonable vision of how we want to play. Once Gerrard leaves we have a squad that is very young and, by next season, will have had a reasonable time managing to learn each other's games.

Our main problems now are that:

1. we are failing to punch above our weight in terms of performance (5th position is what we can reasonably expect)

2. we do not have a big game mentality

3. we are failing to attract big name players to the squad (this migt have been different if we had a big name manager / had won the league / were regularly qualifying for champions league)

4. we are failing to achieve value for money in the signings we have made so far

5. are losing our best players to other teams (a process that has been ongoing since Mcmanaman and Owen were here)

6. in a number of "pinch" matches we have failed to do whatever is necessary to drag us over the winning line

My point is, whether we like it or not, Brendan will be under pressure because Klopp, a man the owners have already tried to bring in twice,  has a proven track record in reversing five of those six shortfalls.

Could he have been the right man to bring in after Kenny? Possibly not - he didn't have the right credentials or experience in the English game to understand the market, the youth set-up or the philosophy of the premiership to put the right building blocks into place.

But in a position where we finally have an idea of how we want to play and an ambitious young squad that needs a final injection of nous or quality the owners will be stupid to ignore his qualities.

And, whatever you think of them, the owners are far from stupid. 

So what makes you think he'll come?  I've no doubt our owners have pursued him previously and will do again if they believe Brendan has taken us as far as he can but I'm curious to know what we can offer him that he wouldn't get at a Club who regularly challenges without him having to jump through hoops?
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #48: Apr 20, 2015 11:57:20 am
      So what makes you think he'll come?  I've no doubt our owners have pursued him previously and will do again if they believe Brendan has taken us as far as he can but I'm curious to know what we can offer him that he wouldn't get at a Club who regularly challenges without him having to jump through hoops?

We are a good fit for him (history, big project, sleeping giant) and the fact we have gone in twice before indicates he hasn't given an outright no.

Even if we don't get him though other managers are out there with similar profiles - Simeone for example.

The point is that Brendan is putting himself under pressure by not winning the clinch matches whilst these people are in the market.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,172 posts | 4907 
      Reply #49: Apr 20, 2015 12:03:57 pm
      The point is that Brendan is putting himself under pressure by not winning the clinch matches whilst these people are in the market.

Agree.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,174 posts | 4402 
      Reply #50: Apr 20, 2015 12:04:03 pm
      We are a good fit for him (history, big project, sleeping giant) and the fact we have gone in twice before indicates he hasn't given an outright no.

Even if we don't get him though other managers are out there with similar profiles - Simeone for example.

Klopp is a intelligent guy and knows Liverpool is the perfect fit for him with our history, fan base and for him our football culture.
      Unless of course he has decided he wants the trappings of a big money club then City is where he will end up.

Either way if and its looking likely we miss out on Top 4 then we would be mad to not at least enquire.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #51: Apr 20, 2015 12:17:29 pm
      The obsession with Klopp baffles me.

Won promotion with Mainz then got them relegated.

He has finished 6th, 5th, 1st, 1st, 2nd, and 2nd with Dortmund in the six years he has been there and this season flirted with relegation for the majority and now they are lying in mid table somewhere.

They've played well in the champions league and reached the final one year but he didn't win it.

He is a good coach and Dortmund play some brilliant stuff and Klopp has an eye for a player but is he really that good? Not in my opinion. 2 titles and a couple of other cups in a league where Bayern are the only competition isn't that impressive.

Klopp would flop at Anfield. We have four Bayerns in our league to compete with.

Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #52: Apr 20, 2015 12:17:57 pm
      It came to light that FSG had been negotiations with Brendan around November time when Kenny was in charge.

They are way ahead of the game and you can bet they have already "made enquiries" with Klopp. Not saying he has said yes but they wil lhave spoken to him way before now.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #53: Apr 20, 2015 12:18:14 pm

But he's done the "big project, sleeping giant at an historical club" why would he go through an apprenticeship again when he's proved what he can do? 

As for the "we've approached him twice so he's not indicated a definite no" is very reminiscent of our transfer dealings is it not?  You know the "well we did try really hard but we just couldn't get the deal over the line for a number of reasons" that's happened with any and every potential decent signing we've not signed.

Same goes for Simeone, why would he or anybody of that standing and experience want to head up "a project".

Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #54: Apr 20, 2015 12:21:11 pm
      But he's done the "big project, sleeping giant at an historical club" why would he go through an apprenticeship again when he's proved what he can do? 

As for the "we've approached him twice so he's not indicated a definite no" is very reminiscent of our transfer dealings is it not?  You know the "well we did try really hard but we just couldn't get the deal over the line for a number of reasons" that's happened with any and every potential decent signing we've not signed.

Same goes for Simeone, why would he or anybody of that standing and experience want to head up "a project".

Because they are both footballing romantics. Some people are just wired that way just as others are career-focussed badge collectors like Mourinho.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,172 posts | 4907 
      Reply #55: Apr 20, 2015 12:23:24 pm
      Because they are both footballing romantics. Some people are just wired that way just as others are career-focussed badge collectors like Mourinho.

I agree to an extent.

We'll always be an attractive proposition for certain football managers.

« Last Edit: Apr 20, 2015 12:38:47 pm by srslfc »
      Bier
      Reply #56: Apr 20, 2015 12:35:08 pm

Simeone is just unrealistic at the moment though, Atletico right now are in a better situation than us. Atletico is his project. Not to mention that he just signed a new 5 year deal with them, like FSG are going to pay that off.

I agree to an extent.

We I'll always be an attractive proposition for certain football managers.

The question is how accomplished would he be. I think we'd just end up with a young somewhat unproven manager again, probably someone like Frank de Boer.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,172 posts | 4907 
      Reply #57: Apr 20, 2015 12:39:29 pm
      The question is how accomplished would he be. I think we'd just end up with a young somewhat unproven manager again, probably someone like Frank de Boer.

Agree Bier.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,157 posts | 8544 
      Reply #58: Apr 20, 2015 12:50:28 pm
      So F***ing what lad?

Do you have any idea how F***ing embarrassing it is to see Liverpool "fans" discussing our next manager before the one we currently have is even sacked? (or as far as any of us know, close to being sacked?) Brendan Rodgers is the Liverpool manager if you didn't know and F***ing wanking at the prospect of some other c**t taking over goes against what Liverpool Football Club is about.

If Brendan was sacked tomorrow, discuss his replacement. While Brendan is in the job you do not start begging for somebody else to replace him, you back that man to the halt. His success means success for Liverpool and that's what all "fans" should want.

This topic shouldn't even be F***ing open, talking about replacing a man who's job is under no real pressure to begin with.

What about Souness, weren't old enough to remember the Kop wanting him gone in 93 and 94.

Brodge is under massive pressure, Kenny got sacked for less ffs.

He isn't good enough, his tactics are a joke and if Klopp is available get him and get him to bring Hummels and Reus too!

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #59: Apr 20, 2015 01:04:45 pm

We'll see but I'd be surprised if he's our next manager.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,517 posts | 1767 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #60: Apr 20, 2015 01:14:46 pm
      What about Souness, weren't old enough to remember the Kop wanting him gone in 93 and 94.

He isn't good enough, his tactics are a joke and if Klopp is available get him and get him to bring Hummels and Reus too!

I remember the bad old days of souness, ffs he ripped a winning championship team apart, this all started with him. #cunto

Since then, we have had decent managers who have all came close to winning leagues, bar the hodgson but tbf he was not given any time, he might well have done quite well with time and money, buy he said too many wrong things and signed too many very average players, saying that, kenny took that squad to 2 finals and still got the sack.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,008 posts | 3352 
      Reply #61: Apr 20, 2015 02:00:52 pm

Of course he's under pressure, he's managing the biggest club in the world. That's pressure alone. But as far as any of us know, he isn't under pressure as far as his job is concerned. There's been no evidence that the board are losing patience with him. There's no public outcry from the fans to force the board's hand.

Brendan also has one or two advantages over Kenny in terms of FSG. Firstly, he's there man whereas I maintain that Kenny was appointed to please the fans. Secondly, he's recently signed a new long term deal which, if we're to believe that the owners don't like spending money, means they'd have a huge pay-off compo wise to get rid of Rodgers. On top of that they'd then have to pay bigger wages than what Brendan is currently on to bring in Klopp. Thirdly, Brendan presents himself well to the press, it makes the image of the club look good whereas Kenny was much more aggressive with the press, giving them a reason to slag us off (not that I'm saying Kenny's way was wrong, I loved the way he dealt with the cu*ts).
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #62: Apr 20, 2015 02:52:10 pm
      Of course he's under pressure, he's managing the biggest club in the world. That's pressure alone. But as far as any of us know, he isn't under pressure as far as his job is concerned. There's been no evidence that the board are losing patience with him. There's no public outcry from the fans to force the board's hand.

Brendan also has one or two advantages over Kenny in terms of FSG. Firstly, he's there man whereas I maintain that Kenny was appointed to please the fans. Secondly, he's recently signed a new long term deal which, if we're to believe that the owners don't like spending money, means they'd have a huge pay-off compo wise to get rid of Rodgers. On top of that they'd then have to pay bigger wages than what Brendan is currently on to bring in Klopp. Thirdly, Brendan presents himself well to the press, it makes the image of the club look good whereas Kenny was much more aggressive with the press, giving them a reason to slag us off (not that I'm saying Kenny's way was wrong, I loved the way he dealt with the cu*ts).

If he has some dignity left, he'll resign or reach an agreement at the end of the season.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #63: Apr 20, 2015 02:58:40 pm
      I think BR will get another season. Whether or not he deserves it is another matter. I think the fact that Sturridge has been out practically all season will lend him some leeway to having one more crack, although you could counter that with the mostly shocking performances from the new boys of which BR has to take some of the blame for getting them. Personally? I think the time has come to get a big name manager. Someone with proven credentials. Brendan has given a good account of himself, but ultimately fell short. After all, Reading weren't afraid to get rid of.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #64: Apr 20, 2015 10:45:07 pm
      It came to light that FSG had been negotiations with Brendan around November time when Kenny was in charge.

They are way ahead of the game and you can bet they have already "made enquiries" with Klopp. Not saying he has said yes but they wil lhave spoken to him way before now.

So you're saying FSG are guilty of "tapping up" Klopp?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,172 posts | 4907 
      Reply #65: Apr 20, 2015 10:47:08 pm

Come on Orchard.

This stuff goes on in football all the time by all clubs.

If they were thinking about changing the manager I'd rather they were 'tapping up' the likes of Klopp than sitting ontheir hands and then worrying about who to hire in June.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #66: Apr 20, 2015 10:50:55 pm
      Come on Orchard.

This stuff goes on in football all the time by all clubs.

If they were thinking about changing the manager I'd rather they were 'tapping up' the likes of Klopp than sitting ontheir hands and then worrying about who to hire in June.
      But yet they'd no idea Suarez was leaving until after the world cup! And no deal had been done with Suarez allowing him to leave in the summer!
      It might go on Si, but unless the club give you permission to speak to their coach, it's tapping up.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #67: Apr 20, 2015 11:41:25 pm

Tapping up is a widespread practice in football.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #68: Apr 21, 2015 05:21:38 am
      Tapping up is a widespread practice in football.

Rape is widespread in prison, doesn't make it right!

Quick Reply