Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Why Ian Ayre and the Committee MUST Be Sacked

Read 7847 times
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Why Ian Ayre and the Committee MUST Be Sacked
      May 04, 2015 02:03:38 am
      The rot starts from the top – that is the motto all of us should follow. While many people here have been quick to denigrate Rodgers, blaming him for the entire failings of the club so far, it is important to realise that he is merely a cog in the machine and a lot of blame must be given to those above him. Where do we start? There are many, but I single out one man and his merry men – Ian Ayre and the transfer committee. The ‘philosophy’ that FSG talk is attractive, and I don’t think many would disagree with principles of the fast paced, attractive football based upon the ideals of Total Football and propelled by a reinvigorated youth academy – principles that we not only look back on with misty eyed fondness with the success it gave us, but principles that can guide us to an exciting future.

So it is bizarre that the implementation and appointments towards this far reaching continental brand of football is led by a businessman whose footballing pedigree extends only as far as chief executive and chairman of Huddersfield Town.

Having had such a big say in the appointments of the men above Rodgers – i.e. the transfer committee of Fallows, Edwards and co – it is shocking to notice that not one of these men are pure football men. Sure enough, there are ex professionals at the help of this network. But by ‘pure’ football men, their CV’s don’t exactly stand out do they? Ex Rushden & Diamond ‘legend’ Barry Hunter retired in 2006 and was swiftly drafted in as Blackburn’s chief scout, Michael Edwards was performance director at Tottenham and Portsmouth prior to joining Liverpool and has no experience as a football player, while Fallows past experience includes being a scout at Norwich, Bolton and Blackburn – hardly the luminary scouts we desperately need. Any breadth and depth in knowledge of different footballing cultures and continental type player is non-existent, with none of them having ever ventured outside of the UK to study the game, let alone the lower divisions. With these scouts only having ever been educated at the UK level, this suggests to me they know more about ‘Total Sh*te Football’ rather than ‘Total Football’.

Critically, our scouting department lacks this continental knowledge upon which Rodgers current ideals are based upon, having all been based in and around the British Isles. They are certainly not of the type that Arsenal has under Gilles Grimandi – an ex professional for France and whose depth and knowledge of players extends well beyond Britain to countries with far more sophisticated footballing cultures, thus providing a synchronised mindset between him and Wenger. To have the likes of these, well, inexperienced and unqualified scouts at Liverpool’s helm indicates men who do not have the instinctive or intuitive mindset required for seeking out the right players for the right team.

I thoroughly believe we have the right man as manager – Rodgers is a man whose coaching knowledge doesn’t derive from the luddite footballing culture of England but rather the silky and sophisticated cultures from continental Europe where he spent his formative coaching years educating himself. He deserves men of similar mindset and in my view, we should be looking at scouts from the continent with the intuitive knowledge of what is required from the type of footballer we need for Rodger’s system. But it is evidently clear when we sign a player like Mario Balotelli that there is a lack of any synchronicity within the scouting team, considering the fact Rodgers voted against the signing. Thus, it is indicative of a wider failing within the club that seems to suggest that not all are buying into this ‘philosophy’ that FSG espouse. The ambitions to achieve this philosophy from the owners, the fans and the manager cannot possibly be achieved if we have such ‘rogue agents’ who spread a malignant influence that extends to the match day squad. It is incredibly worrying to think that we are paying these scouts to seek players who go against the desired playing style of the club.

Rodgers has to take responsibility for failed signings of course, but the appointment of real football men with the continental knowledge and experience could influence Rodgers in a direction which is positive for the team, because even the greatest managers in football today are not reliant on their own knowledge and have to depend upon an expert scouting network. Despite his adamant position that he will not work under a Director of Football, I do believe that this position would be more beneficial to the club – if only for the fact that it can’t get any worse under the current committee.

Over the past years, men with esteemed football backgrounds at Bayern, Dortmund, Barcelona and Atletico Madrid have defined the philosophies at those clubs with most having played at their respective clubs. Meanwhile, at Liverpool, ours is defined by a businessman who drives a Harley Davidson to work and a bunch of lower league uneducated non-entities who have no conception or knowledge of the desired footballing philosophy. Rodgers – having proved his coaching methods and desired playing style of FSG with last year’s scintillating brand of football – is the one sane voice in a mad world at Liverpool FC. But that doesn’t stop it from being a mad world does it? Reconfigure the scouting network with genuine experts with great credentials and Rodgers could soar. However, if we persist with this current scouting network, the tide that Rodgers is fighting against will inevitably sweep him and the entire club under.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Re: Why Ian Ayre and the Committee MUST Be Sacked
      Reply #1: May 04, 2015 04:22:03 am
      Again let me reiterate Rodgers does not have clean hands with regards to the mess that has been created with regards to the committee our academy etc.

As the below article suggests the sacking of Borell and McParland was done to aid the TC and Rodgers in achieving their vision for the club.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/brendan-rodgers-strengthens-position-at-liverpool-as-academy-pair-rodolfo-borrell-and-frank-mcparland-are-sacked-8954009.html

Son Of A Gun
      • Started Topic

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #2: May 04, 2015 04:51:34 am
      Again let me reiterate Rodgers does not have clean hands with regards to the mess that has been created with regards to the committee our academy etc.

As the below article suggests the sacking of Borell and McParland was done to aid the TC and Rodgers in achieving their vision for the club.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/brendan-rodgers-strengthens-position-at-liverpool-as-academy-pair-rodolfo-borrell-and-frank-mcparland-are-sacked-8954009.html

That has nothing to do with the Transfer Committee.

Rodgers is at free will to implement his ideas at the youth level  with his own appointments - hence the appointments of the likes of Alex Inglethorpe and Pepin Linjders (with general satsifaction at these mens expertise - particularly Linjders who has developed talented youngsters in the Netherlands and Portugal), but not so with regards to the scouting network for transfers.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #3: May 04, 2015 07:52:59 am
      The committee won't be going anywhere mate. This is the way the owners want it done, they may want the committee to have a higher success rate when it comes to signings, but they believe this is the right way to go.
      Why would they change things when, from they're point of view we're at least where we should be, according to their long term plan. 90% per cent of our signings under FSG have been potential, and it hasn't cost them a penny.
      Liverpool are a long-term investment, the committee is key to their plans.
      « Last Edit: May 04, 2015 09:14:52 am by ORCHARD RED »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #4: May 04, 2015 09:01:40 am
      The committee won't be going anywhere mate. This is the way the owners want it done, they may want the committee to have a higher success rate when it comes to signings, but they believe this is the right way to go.
      Why would they change things when, from there point of view we're at least where we should be according to their long term plan. 90% per cent of our signings under FSG have been potential, and it hasn't cost them a penny.
      Liverpool are a long-term investment, the committee is key to their plans.

This all day.
      FSG inspired and an integral element in the modus operandi.
      Fan 86
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 760 posts | 38 
      Reply #5: May 04, 2015 09:20:42 am
      Again agreed, us fans may or may not like it. We are working under a budget we are not owned by a sheik or a Russian billionaire. It is an investment, and at the moment it's being run well in my opinion, sure deep down I'd love millions being spent on players but that ain't gonna happen with these guys. But they've done everything they said they would do. I think Brendan has done ok, I saw some of the best football I have ever seen last year.its been tough this year lets not sugar coat it buts it's a hardly a disaster considering we nearly went bust a few years ago. The new stand looks very impressive, massive. And back to the committee, I've got to agree with Stuey these guys came from America and new nothing about football by there own admission. Do I like the committee?,maybe not but this is the way FSG want to run it. Maybe it's the only way they know. But yes we have do better this summer. Proven players are the way to go in my opinion.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #6: May 04, 2015 12:29:49 pm
      The committee won't be going anywhere mate.

Of course it won't as all the roles within the committee are needed in order of identify and sign players.

I think many confuse getting rid of members of the committee who aren't doing their jobs properly with this ideas that our transfer committee is any different to the way virtually any other top club conducts transfers.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #7: May 04, 2015 12:50:53 pm
      I don't mind the idea of the committee in principle.

My issue is the idea, this may hark back to the Moneyball stuff early with FSG, that by spending well and doing things differently we can make up for a lack of parity financially with the oil clubs and United...

And then not spending well or doing anything f**king differently.

You don't need four lads round a desk humming and harring looking at spreadsheet and then sending Ian Ayre out to low ball for Christian Benteke and eventually caving a paying a fortune.

Our transfer windows are like Groundhog Day.

Just watch it this summer, Depay & Son Heung Min have been linked recently and both make sense and meet the profile of player we are apparently after and I sh*t you not we will end up doing something stupid and ill-conceived like signing Benteke, Ings and Daniel Aves for absurd wages.

We all know this is going to happen which is why I can never be arsed to get excited when I see a name like Vietto linked because you just know we barely send lads any further than Villa or Southampton nowadays.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #8: May 04, 2015 01:58:13 pm

I thoroughly believe we have the right man as manager – Rodgers is a man whose coaching knowledge doesn’t derive from the luddite footballing culture of England but rather the silky and sophisticated cultures from continental Europe where he spent his formative coaching years educating himself. He deserves men of similar mindset and in my view, we should be looking at scouts from the continent with the intuitive knowledge of what is required from the type of footballer we need for Rodger’s system. But it is evidently clear when we sign a player like Mario Balotelli that there is a lack of any synchronicity within the scouting team, considering the fact Rodgers voted against the signing. Thus, it is indicative of a wider failing within the club that seems to suggest that not all are buying into this ‘philosophy’ that FSG espouse. The ambitions to achieve this philosophy from the owners, the fans and the manager cannot possibly be achieved if we have such ‘rogue agents’ who spread a malignant influence that extends to the match day squad. It is incredibly worrying to think that we are paying these scouts to seek players who go against the desired playing style of the club.

Rodgers has to take responsibility for failed signings of course, but the appointment of real football men with the continental knowledge and experience could influence Rodgers in a direction which is positive for the team, because even the greatest managers in football today are not reliant on their own knowledge and have to depend upon an expert scouting network. Despite his adamant position that he will not work under a Director of Football, I do believe that this position would be more beneficial to the club – if only for the fact that it can’t get any worse under the current committee.

I have to remind you that the same Rodgers voted against the signing of Sturridge, and wanted to get rid of Henderson.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Started Topic

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #9: May 04, 2015 02:33:09 pm
      Again agreed, us fans may or may not like it. We are working under a budget we are not owned by a sheik or a Russian billionaire. It is an investment, and at the moment it's being run well in my opinion, sure deep down I'd love millions being spent on players but that ain't gonna happen with these guys. But they've done everything they said they would do. I think Brendan has done ok, I saw some of the best football I have ever seen last year.its been tough this year lets not sugar coat it buts it's a hardly a disaster considering we nearly went bust a few years ago. The new stand looks very impressive, massive. And back to the committee, I've got to agree with Stuey these guys came from America and new nothing about football by there own admission. Do I like the committee?,maybe not but this is the way FSG want to run it. Maybe it's the only way they know. But yes we have do better this summer. Proven players are the way to go in my opinion.

It's not the committee in principle I disagree with, it's the meN who are part of the committee. They seem highly unqualified and inexperienced to search out the right player for Liverpool.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #10: May 04, 2015 02:43:33 pm
      It's not the committee in principle I disagree with, it's the meN who are part of the committee. They seem highly unqualified and inexperienced to search out the right player for Liverpool.

Maybe why we have been linked to the DoF at Seville recently but would Rodgers work under such a person?

Son Of A Gun
      • Started Topic

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #11: May 04, 2015 03:34:55 pm
      I have to remind you that the same Rodgers voted against the signing of Sturridge, and wanted to get rid of Henderson.

I've already said Rodgers has to take responsibility for some poor transfer decisions, but the point is Rodgers is the manager and he believes his decisions are the best for his team and his system.

When you get the likes of Fallows and co telling him to sign Balotelli, it's clear they don't have any understanding of the manager's tactics. At the very least, you need to hire men who understand the managers tactics - the transfer committee clearly don't.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #12: May 04, 2015 03:42:50 pm
      For someone who's big on facts apparently, where's your proof to back up that statement?
      Son Of A Gun
      • Started Topic

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #13: May 04, 2015 04:24:57 pm
      Maybe why we have been linked to the DoF at Seville recently but would Rodgers work under such a person?

Haven't heard about this Hsc, tell me more.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #14: May 04, 2015 04:31:16 pm
      Haven't heard about this Hsc, tell me more.

Nothing concrete mate but mainly Twitter  rumours last week that LFC were sounding out the Seville DoF Monchi.

IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,480 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #15: May 04, 2015 07:02:34 pm

I had thought he refused to do so from day one, hence why one was never appointed. The question was asked at his first presser from what I remember?
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #16: May 04, 2015 07:46:46 pm
      Isn't BR a part of the transfer committee? Which means he has more than a say who is signed for the club? Of course if I'm wrong in saying that then I'll happily keep schtum...
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,126 posts | 1277 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #17: May 04, 2015 09:22:55 pm
      Until Brendan or FSG leave we will never know the tangled webs that have been weaved.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #18: May 04, 2015 09:43:12 pm
      Isn't BR a part of the transfer committee? Which means he has more than a say who is signed for the club? Of course if I'm wrong in saying that then I'll happily keep schtum...

He is part of the committee.

He has a say but that say is dictated by policy set down by FSG.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #19: May 04, 2015 09:47:29 pm
      Again agreed, us fans may or may not like it. We are working under a budget we are not owned by a sheik or a Russian billionaire. It is an investment, and at the moment it's being run well in my opinion, sure deep down I'd love millions being spent on players but that ain't gonna happen with these guys.

* It's NOT the F***ing budget - its what it's spent on.
      * F F F***ing P means it doesn't F***ing matter if we're owned by F***ing oligarchs.
      * F***ing millions WERE spent on players... cause we had F***ing millions... even tho' we aren't F***ing owned by F***ing oligarchs.

In the name of sweet F**k man... Keep up.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #20: May 05, 2015 07:38:49 am
      For someone who's big on facts apparently, where's your proof to back up that statement?

There are numerous reports stating this as a known fact, where's your proof that Balotelli wasn't signed by Brendan ?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #21: May 05, 2015 07:48:33 am
      There are numerous reports stating this as a known fact, where's your proof that Balotelli wasn't signed by Brendan ?

One numerous report will do, one credible numerous report soft lad.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #22: May 05, 2015 08:11:07 am
      Again agreed, us fans may or may not like it. We are working under a budget we are not owned by a sheik or a Russian billionaire. It is an investment, and at the moment it's being run well in my opinion, sure deep down I'd love millions being spent on players but that ain't gonna happen with these guys. But they've done everything they said they would do.

An investment, in order to retain and qualify that status, requires bolstering; not rechanneling self-generated capital which interprets as standing still, but displaying confidence in the brand that will allow it to strengthen and expand.

JWH stood on the pitch after acquiring LFC for a tune and stated unequivocally he would bring the glory back to Anfield; some way short of ''doing everything he said he would'' events have shown.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2015 10:38:11 am by stuey »

Quick Reply