Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

Are We Really After Top Players... Or Is It A Smoke Screen?

Read 11924 times
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Are We Really After Top Players... Or Is It A Smoke Screen?
      May 08, 2015 01:35:35 pm
      Do you think that our supposed attempts to sign the likes of...

Depay, Mkhitaryan, Konoplyanka, Willian, Salah, Costa, Sanchez etc...

Are simply smoke screens to make it look like we are trying to buy top class players but not really interested in them at all.

It feels like every window we try to sign someone who we'd call a top class player and every time the deals fall through.

Surely to f**k just one of the players we've been linked with and failed should have signed.

I mean we've been after enough of them.

Or are we just that sh*t on the wages, negotiations and selling the club side of things?

What do you think it is?
      « Last Edit: May 08, 2015 04:27:17 pm by LFCSTEVE1984 »
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Re: Are Our Big Name Player Links...
      Reply #1: May 08, 2015 01:44:47 pm

Are simply smoke screens to make it look like we are trying to buy top class players but not really interested in them at all.

It feels like every window we try to sign someone who we'd call a top class player and every time the deals fall through.

Surely to F**k just one of the players we've been linked with and failed should have signed.

Or are we just that sh*t on the wages, negotiations and selling the club side of things?

What do you think it is?

Smokescreen I reckon, we won't offer more than the other team/s.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,174 posts | 4402 
      Reply #2: May 08, 2015 01:46:56 pm

Surely to f**k just one of the players we've been linked with and failed should have signed.

What do you think it is?

Don't worry I'm sure we will land Ings and Milner!!

LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Reply #3: May 08, 2015 01:49:41 pm
      Smokescreen I reckon, we won't offer more than the other team/s.

I'm starting to feel like it's just a big scam to be honest.

"Just tell them we're after Konoplyanka then tell them it fell through they'll think we're trying..."

LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Reply #4: May 08, 2015 01:51:44 pm

Don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Ings will probably cost us the same as a top striker too judging on last summers fees.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #5: May 08, 2015 01:52:13 pm

Phew... for a minute I thought we wouldnt bring any big names in!

:mad:
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,526 posts | 719 
      Re: Are We Really After Top Players... Or Is It A Smoke Screen?
      Reply #6: May 08, 2015 04:32:43 pm
      Smokescreen?

What part of FSG's transfer policy did you not understand when JWH was interviewed a couple seasons ago?

It was made very clear that we will be buying younger players that are an investment that we can possibly sell on, while making the odd strategic 'big buy'

ITS CLEAR AS DAY WHAT OUR POLICY IS.

I'm amazed how many fans still havent come to terms with this ;D
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,174 posts | 4402 
      Reply #7: May 08, 2015 04:48:32 pm
      Smokescreen?

What part of FSG's transfer policy did you not understand when JWH was interviewed a couple seasons ago?

It was made very clear that we will be buying younger players that are an investment that we can possibly sell on, while making the odd strategic 'big buy'

ITS CLEAR AS DAY WHAT OUR POLICY IS.

I'm amazed how many fans still havent come to terms with this ;D

Kolo, Lambert, Lovren even Lallana how much do you think we can sell them on for?

AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #8: May 08, 2015 05:05:00 pm

What do you think it is?

No Fenway really want to spend on top players.
      Like David Cameron is a really decent bloke who loves seeing working people succeed.
      And my name is Lord Lucan.  :-\
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #9: May 08, 2015 05:08:50 pm
      We are after top players, but they have to fit the criteria of being young, talented, and offer a potential increase in value as they develop. Sadly, this means we will rarely attempt to sign players at the peak of their powers, and we will rarely pay more than we deem sufficient in terms of fees and/or wages to land a player. 

Despite these restrictions, we have managed to sign some top players under this model: Coutinho, Studge, Suarez and Sakho are all in the top tier of the talent pool and all were signed under the current ownership group. Can and Markovic were both considered to be two of the very best players in the world for their age bracket, and both could become top tier talents at LFC.

Sure, it sucks missing out on the likes of Sanchez, Costa, Fabregas, etc. But this model also helps reduce the risk of signing overpriced, and overpaid flops like Falcao, Mangala, Ozil, and Di Maria -- none of these players has done near enough to justify the fees and/or wages paid for them last summer.

The "system" isn't perfect and we have signed some duds (Alberto, Aspas, and Balotelli to name but a few), but it's not terrible either. I firmly believe that the team we have now is closer to challenging for trophies than the one that was in place when FSG bought the club, so that at least is a testament to us moving in the right direction....
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #10: May 08, 2015 05:23:58 pm
      We can't compete financially against the other top clubs under our way of doing it.. Get into a head to head and we lose out as we consistently have in the last 4 years..
      Only way to stop that is to stop f**king around early and offer 30k or whatever over what the player wants.. But the powers that be won't do that.

So we need to become better at targeting what should be our target group and that's not overpaying for the next rung or two down the ladder.. Our best signings under these have been players at top clubs who either haven't settled or haven't kicked on but their talent is obvious.. Players then that other big teams won't come and get involved.

Sturridge
      Coutinho
      Suarez

All fall into that. Suarez more that he wanted to move on but other top clubs didn't want to take the gamble on his apparent flaws.

That's the type we need to target..

Forget the players other top teams want.. We can't compete under these owners for them
      harrydunn08

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #11: May 08, 2015 05:42:35 pm
      Our best signings under these have been players at top clubs who either haven't settled or haven't kicked on but their talent is obvious.. Players then that other big teams won't come and get involved.

We could just go after the Madrid and Barcelona "flops".... A quick look at some of the players to leave these two clubs in the last few years:  Eto'o, Ibra, Van Der Vaart, Robben, Higuain, Callejon, Sneijder, Negredo, Huntelaar, Toure, Sanchez, Albiol, and Garay

All of these left for pretty reasonable fees too....
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #12: May 08, 2015 06:05:26 pm
      I'm starting to feel like it's just a big scam to be honest.

"Just tell them we're after Konoplyanka then tell them it fell through they'll think we're trying..."

And the weird thing is, he isn't even that big of a name really.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #13: May 08, 2015 06:08:40 pm
      And the weird thing is, he isn't even that big of a name really.

2nd rate player in a 3 rate league that had a decent game against England add that and the fact we did not get him = world class talent lost out on.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #14: May 08, 2015 06:37:10 pm
      But this model also helps reduce the risk of signing overpriced, and overpaid flops like Falcao, Mangala, Ozil, and Di Maria -- none of these players has done near enough to justify the fees and/or wages paid for them last summer.

* cough * bull-sh*t

That's some convoluted , contrived, twisted logic right there.  :lmao:

It reeks havoc with my ambition to be a pilot but I reduce the risk of being killed in a plane crash by refusing to fly.

I swear, if I didn't know any better, I'd swear there's folk out there who don't know what the F in LFC stands for.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,162 posts | 4903 
      Reply #15: May 08, 2015 06:41:23 pm
      I swear, if I didn't know any better, I'd swear there's folk out there who don't know what the F in LFC stands for.

Finance.

Now what's my prize. ;D
      harrydunn08

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #16: May 08, 2015 06:41:51 pm
      * cough * bull-sh*t

That's some convoluted , contrived, twisted logic right there.  :lmao:

It reeks havoc with my ambition to be a pilot but I reduce the risk of being killed in a plane crash by refusing to fly.

Your comparison is bullshit mate. A better comparison would be reducing risk by avoiding flying in more hazardous conditions. Or, refusing to fly with hazardous materials. Or, refusing to fly with dangerous people.

But I don't understand how you can honestly suggest that a policy to sign talented young players who have a higher likelihood of increasing in value somehow makes them not football players....
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #17: May 08, 2015 06:42:31 pm
      2nd rate player in a 3 rate league that had a decent game against England add that and the fact we did not get him = world class talent lost out on.

IF you believe that then... logic dictates that you've got to be asking who the F**k thought he was good enough to play for Liverpool...
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #18: May 08, 2015 07:00:15 pm
      Your comparison is bullshit mate. A better comparison would be reducing risk by avoiding flying in more hazardous conditions. Or, refusing to fly with hazardous materials. Or, refusing to fly with danf
      Of course it is harry :lmao:

Only my way (extending your 'no risk' logic) removes all risk. You know... the type of risk that still exists when you buy ten, low paid, mediocre players for the same price as three  top quality players.

Oh and it's "football" by the way.  ;D
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #19: May 08, 2015 07:39:14 pm
      I believe we were after all these top players, and will go for many more top players,  as long as we can get them cheap, and they take half the wages they could get elsewhere!
      Funny how we were the only club in for Konoplynka, and the deal still fell through!
      harrydunn08

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #20: May 08, 2015 07:49:44 pm
      Of course it is harry :lmao:

Only my way (extending your 'no risk' logic) removes all risk. You know... the type of risk that still exists when you buy ten, low paid, mediocre players for the same price as three  top quality players.

Oh and it's "football" by the way.  ;D

I think you need to read my post again. I never said "remove risk".... I said "reduce risk".... Big difference between the two.

The system in place isn't perfect, and it isn't risk free. What it does is limit the financial risk on the owners part and allows them to try to improve the club by only using the limited funds generated by the club -- we are a self sufficient business. I personally don't expect the owners to spend their own money to make us better. I  just expect them to appoint the right people who can make the right decisions and help make the most of the resources we do have.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #21: May 08, 2015 08:11:27 pm
      Whilst I have lost faith in us signing a big name, it makes no sense for it to be a smokescreen. We spent all that money and I believe we would have spent 40 on Sanchez. That one transfer was the difference. We shouldnt have sold suarez until sanchez had the jersey on. Simples.

Our problem is the wages, which is ridiculous when you think of those we have and will shed from the wage bill.

FSG need to put their money where there mouth is this summer or we will never catch the top 4. Simple as.

Who do you sign, how do you convince them? Throw money at big names and you could end up with a Falcao.

Its very difficult but we are not going about it right.

The more you spend, the bigger the name, the more proven the player, the less risk associated...
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #22: May 08, 2015 08:30:19 pm
      Top players won't come here to work under Brendan, we need a world-class manager who can attract stars and make them confident they can win silverware here.

Quick Reply