Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Are We Really After Top Players... Or Is It A Smoke Screen?

Read 11922 times
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Re: Are We Really After Top Players... Or Is It A Smoke Screen?
      Reply #23: May 08, 2015 08:34:45 pm
      A smoke screen would suggest it's hard to see what FSG and co are up to when it's been obvious for over a year now! Their ambition is to make this club profitable again not titles and silverware.

We are like a shitier version of Arsenal of the last decade.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #24: May 08, 2015 08:39:33 pm
      Stopped smoking blow ages ago and the fuckers still haven't signed anyone.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #25: May 08, 2015 09:01:13 pm
      Top players won't come here to work under Brendan, we need a world-class manager who can attract stars and make them confident they can win silverware here.

PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,520 posts | 713 
      Reply #26: May 08, 2015 09:22:03 pm
      Kolo, Lambert, Lovren even Lallana how much do you think we can sell them on for?

Kolo was brought in for experience.

Lambert was brought in as a squad player.

Lovren and Lallana were brought in for 'high' fees but lower wages. Based on their previous season at Soton, nobody was making a fuss. They both seemed like excellent buys and may still turn out to be.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #27: May 08, 2015 09:27:00 pm
      Kolo was brought in for experience.

Lambert was brought in as a squad player.

Lovren and Lallana were brought in for 'high' fees but lower wages. Based on their previous season at Soton, nobody was making a fuss. They both seemed like excellent buys and may still turn out to be.

Agree, doubt there is even a consideration to move Lovren or Lallana on.

Seems like in todays world you get 20-30 matches and if your not hitting the ground running your sh*t.

Lovren 18 league appearances 26 in all competitions
      Lallana 24 league apperances  38 total with 5 goals

So yes throw them out because its obvious they are total sh*t.

Hell I would keep Lovren just for his wife being around.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #28: May 09, 2015 06:36:51 am
      The system in place isn't perfect, and it isn't risk free. What it does is limit the financial risk on the owners part
      You're right: the model isn't perfect and it, most certainly reduces the financial risk to the owners. The fact that it also limits the chance of football success is obviously secondary to many - just not me.

and allows them to try to improve the club by only using the limited funds generated by the club
      What it allows is very wealthy investors to increase their portfolio and profit margins with little financial risk to their, already, threefold return on their investment in a repossession.

You talk about "limited funds" yet it's very clear that we have had a lot of money to spend. The fact that it wasn't spent on wages or fees, for proven quality, is clearly down to the owners and their business strategy of reduced financial risk to investors.

It's as simple as this: FSG are, rightly, praised for their business acumen - the business, that is LFC, is NOT going to fail under their ownership because they will only spend what the club generates: whether it's spent on 'future' or 'proven' quality.

However the football team, that is LFC, will either fail or succeed depending on the quality of players it can put onto the pitch.

Do you really care more about reduced "financial risk on the owners part" more than enhanced chances of winning on the football team's part? Nah.

Football success attracts fans, sponsors, better players but it demands owners taking a risk that their percentage might get eaten into - that % currently sits at close to 300%. I think they can take a chance.

Football first Harry, football first.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #29: May 09, 2015 07:15:05 am
      ou talk about "limited funds" yet it's very clear that we have had a lot of money to spend. The fact that it wasn't spent on wages or fees, for proven quality, is clearly down to the owners and their business strategy of reduced financial risk to investors.

It's as simple as this: FSG are, rightly, praised for their business acumen - the business, that is LFC, is NOT going to fail under their ownership because they will only spend what the club generates: whether it's spent on 'future' or 'proven' quality.

I think it all depends on how it is spent..they bought the club because of what they perceived they could do with the club in terms of growing revenue and the FFP rules that were going into place.

I don't have an issue with following FFP...but the money raised needs to used on quality not on finding players with potentially huge sell on values.

Issue with all this is, building with youth system or from within takes a long time, and by the time we accomplish that the four teams ahead of us might just be farther ahead then when we started.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #30: May 09, 2015 08:04:38 am
      You're right: the model isn't perfect and it, most certainly reduces the financial risk to the owners. The fact that it also limits the chance of football success is obviously secondary to many - just not me.
      What it allows is very wealthy investors to increase their portfolio and profit margins with little financial risk to their, already, threefold return on their investment in a repossession.

You talk about "limited funds" yet it's very clear that we have had a lot of money to spend. The fact that it wasn't spent on wages or fees, for proven quality, is clearly down to the owners and their business strategy of reduced financial risk to investors.

However the football team, that is LFC, will either fail or succeed depending on the quality of players it can put onto the pitch.

Do you really care more about reduced "financial risk on the owners part" more than enhanced chances of winning on the football team's part? Nah.

Football success attracts fans, sponsors, better players but it demands owners taking a risk that their percentage might get eaten into - that % currently sits at close to 300%. I think they can take a chance.

Informed and perceptive comment as ever mate.
      Nail on the head to be precise and the highlighted section describes the JWH&Co modus operandi to a T.
      Not just this season but every F***ing season since they acquired the club for a song; they knew as we did that the asset that qualifies LFC was capable of returning any investment handsomely, full stop.
      It is quite simply an intentional lack of commitment and any bollox now about ''long term plans'' is well past it's sell by, it really would provoke a backlash if JWH&Co were foolish enough to foist that particular piece of sh*t upon us again

andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,341 posts | 1620 
      Reply #31: May 09, 2015 09:41:52 am

Good post  you would think by now people were starting to see through them apparently not .
      « Last Edit: May 09, 2015 12:33:33 pm by ayrton77, Reason: Fixed quote »
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #32: May 09, 2015 09:43:53 am
      i can't see any smokescreen, we're not even linked with any top players. we're not in the market for them. just move on.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,341 posts | 1620 
      Reply #33: May 09, 2015 09:45:56 am
      Put this here as it affects the post above I quoted it and my quote is in the main box and not seperate if it makes sense, its happening a lot lately, can anyone shed some light on it as to why I keep fckin it up. 

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #34: May 09, 2015 11:06:31 am
      Put this here as it affects the post above I quoted it and my quote is in the main box and not seperate if it makes sense, its happening a lot lately, can anyone shed some light on it as to why I keep fckin it up. 

Looks like you putting your post inside the quote.

If you look back you'll see [quote without the final ']' and I think that might be where the problem is.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,341 posts | 1620 
      Reply #35: May 09, 2015 11:10:45 am
      Looks like you putting your post inside the quote.

If you look back you'll see [quote without the final ']' and I think that might be where the problem is.

Cheers Si  being on my phone dont help have to look more carefully .
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #36: May 09, 2015 11:14:39 am
      Cheers Si  being on my phone dont help have to look more carefully .

No problem.

Not 100% but I think that's the problem as I've done similar before.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #37: May 09, 2015 11:16:47 am
      I don't see who we're linked with either. We may be linked with Messi but who knows who linked us. It does work in the favour of FSG if we're linked with top names I.e. They didn't come here but we tried. The agents probably release all kinds of stories. It does look like we're spending our money on youth and trying to uncover/develop some good footballers along the way. I don't think FSG necessarily hid this from us but they did say we could attract anyone which is not their m.o.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #38: May 09, 2015 12:09:35 pm
      Funny how we're always tracking top names into the season ticket window.........and yet never sign any by the back end of the summer.

Probably just coincidence.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #39: May 09, 2015 12:34:30 pm

Sorted for you mate, and Si's post earlier for the reason why was spot on.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Reply #40: May 09, 2015 12:41:15 pm
      Funny how we're always tracking top names into the season ticket window.........and yet never sign any by the back end of the summer.

Probably just coincidence.

That's kind of what I mean in the OP.

We are usually linked with someone far better than the people we end up with and every time we fail
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #41: May 09, 2015 01:00:50 pm

We are usually linked with someone far better than the people we end up with and every time we fail

I was trying to convey a sarcastic tone mate........I'm afraid I simply don't buy the pursuits anymore.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #42: May 09, 2015 01:04:04 pm

It's called bullshit mate.

carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #43: May 09, 2015 01:14:24 pm
      I (I think like many others) came to a simple conclusion !!
       we will not(never) sign   established world class players with our wage structure
        other clubs will always offer more signing fee and wages than us
       maybe a promising  young player, yes ,  hoping he will flourish and than sell him again to the other top clubs for a higher fee
       the club has to accept the wage demands nowadays ,if they want  to sign w.class players
        don't see any top players wanting to play for Liverpoolbecause of our glorious history and  accepting lower wages they can easily get with other clubs
       we look like an academy for the other rich clubs

This is my opinion ,hope I am very wrong and there are still some top players  accepting to play for LIVERPOOL
      YNWA
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #44: May 09, 2015 01:37:16 pm
      I find it strange that some posters still believe that FSG would spend big money and wages on a player "if the right player became available"
      It's worked out well for FSG, that there's always been another reason why we couldn't sign a particular player. The choose another club, they wanted to play for a certain manager, they were overpriced, we aren't in the CL,.......... Funny how its never about us being tight!
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,341 posts | 1620 
      Reply #45: May 09, 2015 05:22:49 pm
      Sorted for you mate, and Si's post earlier for the reason why was spot on.
      Cheers Aryton.

Quick Reply