Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Are We Really After Top Players... Or Is It A Smoke Screen?

Read 11921 times
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,519 posts | 713 
      Re: Are We Really After Top Players... Or Is It A Smoke Screen?
      Reply #46: May 09, 2015 06:03:38 pm
      we are willing to spend 20-25 million on a player as long as the weekly wages arent astronomical.

If you can't see that by now i dont know what teams youve been supporting.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Reply #47: May 09, 2015 06:18:03 pm
      we are willing to spend 20-25 million on a player as long as the weekly wages arent astronomical.

If you can't see that by now i dont know what teams youve been supporting.

Yes but why go for players who we know will want high wages then?
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,519 posts | 713 
      Reply #48: May 09, 2015 06:26:00 pm

What players are those? I don't think we have 'gone after' those.

If you're believing paper talk thats another issue.

If you're talking about the players that went to chelsea instead of us. Thats also another issue and personal choice by the player to go for more money/less playing time.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1647 
      • YNWA
      Reply #49: May 09, 2015 07:56:50 pm
      Not sure it's a smokescreen, but deffo makes us look incompetent, impotent and the like.

From that great movie, The Right Stuff...
      Recruiter: "Funding. That's what makes your ships go up. I'll tell you something, and you guys too: No bucks, no Buck Rodgers"
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #50: May 09, 2015 08:42:18 pm
      Top players won't sign for Liverpool unless they have no offers from any of the top 10-12 clubs in the world.

Nowadays Liverpool are a club high on PR bluffing about our great 'ambitions'  and low on actual delivery - from top to bottom.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #51: May 09, 2015 10:42:37 pm

To try and fool supporters into thinking we are 'competing'.

Most of us cottoned on a long time ago.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,487 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #52: May 11, 2015 04:19:58 pm
      Do you think that our supposed attempts to sign the likes of...

Depay, Mkhitaryan, Konoplyanka, Willian, Salah, Costa, Sanchez etc...

Are simply smoke screens to make it look like we are trying to buy top class players but not really interested in them at all.

It feels like every window we try to sign someone who we'd call a top class player and every time the deals fall through.

Surely to f**k just one of the players we've been linked with and failed should have signed.

I mean we've been after enough of them.

Or are we just that sh*t on the wages, negotiations and selling the club side of things?

What do you think it is?
      It's either a smoke screen or we are terrible at signing players

Either way it doesn't really mater. We are screwed.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #53: May 12, 2015 11:11:08 am
      I find it strange that some posters still believe that FSG would spend big money and wages on a player "if the right player became available"
      It's worked out well for FSG, that there's always been another reason why we couldn't sign a particular player. The choose another club, they wanted to play for a certain manager, they were overpriced, we aren't in the CL,.......... Funny how its never about us being tight!

Ive stated this before. Rightly or worngly they have reasoned why we havent bought Mr World-Class.

Howevwer, there is no hiding place left and no more reason to give. If the fail to do it this summer... we will all know!
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,929 posts | 1477 
      Reply #54: May 12, 2015 03:06:43 pm
      Ive stated this before. Rightly or worngly they have reasoned why we havent bought Mr World-Class.

Howevwer, there is no hiding place left and no more reason to give. If the fail to do it this summer... we will all know!
      Isn't it all about the money? Expensive, so kill the deal. Buy on the cheap. Sell at inflated prices. Football or money? Money all day long. A dollar spent on an additional seat at Anfield is better certainty of a return from ticket sales than a dollar spent on a Aspas?
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1760 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #55: May 13, 2015 09:08:12 am
      Do you think that our supposed attempts to sign the likes of...

Depay, Mkhitaryan, Konoplyanka, Willian, Salah, Costa, Sanchez etc...

Are simply smoke screens to make it look like we are trying to buy top class players but not really interested in them at all.

It feels like every window we try to sign someone who we'd call a top class player and every time the deals fall through.

Surely to f**k just one of the players we've been linked with and failed should have signed.

I mean we've been after enough of them.

Or are we just that sh*t on the wages, negotiations and selling the club side of things?

What do you think it is?

Just stupid rumours, Get's really boring how people are fooled so much by the rumours. We are stastically linked with more players than any other club, which means probably 95% are just made up fiction.

Whether there is a conspiracy by FSG I very much doubt it, there are so many ITK people on forums, twitter, FB & the press that probably don't need smokescreens. ;D
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #56: May 13, 2015 01:17:15 pm
      Just stupid rumours, Get's really boring how people are fooled so much by the rumours. We are stastically linked with more players than any other club, which means probably 95% are just made up fiction.

Whether there is a conspiracy by FSG I very much doubt it, there are so many ITK people on forums, twitter, FB & the press that probably don't need smokescreens. ;D
      I think we get publicly linked so our rivals sign them. That way we have an excuse to save our money until we get linked with garbage players at 20m plus and accidentally buy them.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #57: May 13, 2015 01:19:50 pm
      i think FSG want them but when they find out how much footballers cost they laugh and say jog on as we will lose money on that investment. i personnally think we only need 3/4 players max this season and let the lads dig themselves out of this one. otherwise we will be skint
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1760 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #58: May 13, 2015 01:34:55 pm
      I think we get publicly linked so our rivals sign them. That way we have an excuse to save our money until we get linked with garbage players at 20m plus and accidentally buy them.

;D

and we have our shadows spuds who seem to go after the same players.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1647 
      • YNWA
      Reply #59: May 13, 2015 07:07:28 pm
      There is no smokescreen
      It's pretty clear that not only can we not sign top players, we can't keep our best ones.
      How anyone can think it's ok to let Sterling go is beyond me.
      Did we not learn anything from Luis leaving ... that is is VERY hard to replace quality.
      SG deffo going. Probably Raheem. No strikers. F**k me.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1760 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #60: May 14, 2015 08:52:28 am
      Read this moening Sterling not allowed to leave unless it's £50mill.

And all other contract talks are sorted, and will be signed this week or next.

Let's jope the sales of deadwood move quick and we get these new guys in ASAP ready for pre-season.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #61: May 14, 2015 11:50:52 am
      I cant see myself watching any of this shower of sh*t next yr.
      To do so would be to willingly encourage our further desecration.

To hear Gerrard, Sterling AND IBE possibly leaving just YELLS "also ran pile of sh*t run by scum owners".

Yanksters 2 sold two players alone for 125m. A reasonable ie Europa squad is prob worth upwards of 300m.
      A PL player probably lasts 10 yrs. So you NEED to spend 30m a yr just to tread water. Shamway put in NOTHING to fix the cluvb when they took over. They have load mountains of quality and bought loads of cheap sh*t.

Some yrs they didnt even DO a net spend (and thats BEFORE the player wage cuts-absolute or inflation adjusted).

So its clearly just a sneaky asset strip. Once you add in wage and trasfer fee inflation DESPITE  massive new TV/comm deals its clear they plan to have us wallow in upper mid table til these leeches sell up.

The sham is overwhelmingly clear. If people here are REAL liverpool fans (and lets face it, some are just plants) do yourselves a favour, tell the 18 gnomes to go f**k themselves.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #62: May 14, 2015 11:56:24 am
      I cant see myself watching any of this shower of sh*t next yr.
      To do so would be to willingly encourage our further desecration.

To hear Gerrard, Sterling AND IBE possibly leaving just YELLS "also ran pile of sh*t run by scum owners".

Yanksters 2 sold two players alone for 125m. A reasonable ie Europa squad is prob worth upwards of 300m.
      A PL player probably lasts 10 yrs. So you NEED to spend 30m a yr just to tread water. Shamway put in NOTHING to fix the cluvb when they took over. They have load mountains of quality and bought loads of cheap sh*t.

Some yrs they didnt even DO a net spend (and thats BEFORE the player wage cuts-absolute or inflation adjusted).

So its clearly just a sneaky asset strip. Once you add in wage and trasfer fee inflation DESPITE  massive new TV/comm deals its clear they plan to have us wallow in upper mid table til these leeches sell up.

The sham is overwhelmingly clear. If people here are REAL liverpool fans (and lets face it, some are just plants) do yourselves a favour, tell the 18 gnomes to go f**k themselves.

Ibe has just agreed a 5 year contract on £30k a week.
      It's quite clear Sterling does not want to be part of LFC so not sure what we can do apart from offer him £200k a week!

AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #63: May 14, 2015 12:05:30 pm
      Well the press are also reporting that the deal isn't signed and Ibe is starting to wonder WTF is going on.

Sterling would like to see Liverpool standard of competition for silverware, not parasitic scumbag antics.
      I'd like to see just HOW serious Shamway are about giving him market rates. After all, they've forced plenty of top players out of the door.

Most of the forum now accept the board are leeching scumbags. I doubt the players have been duped by them.
      LFC is now owned by scum. Very simple.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #64: May 14, 2015 09:39:59 pm
      A healthy bottom line is of utmost importance to the owners, anything else is secondary. Never mind about winning the league, as long as we don't drop into the relegation zone we're ok. 
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #65: May 15, 2015 08:01:19 am
      is what a smokescreen? is the club trying to sell us hope still? hopefully nobody buys it anymore. i mean, are we talking about the "Reds linked to Tevez" and all that kind of bullshit? hopefully no Liverpool men with functioning brains fall for that stuff.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #66: May 15, 2015 03:11:40 pm
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #67: May 16, 2015 02:57:27 pm
      Liverpool did pull out of Depay deal, according to Dutch magazine
      Reports from Dutch magazine Voetbal have suggested that Memphis Depay did not become a Liverpool player because we pulled out of the deal…

The story says that we were interested in the attacker, and that we were in pole position to sign him, until we changed our minds and allowed first PSG and then Man United to take the lead in the chase for his signature.

The winger had become one of Europe’s hottest properties, after a stunning season guided his current side PSV Eindhoven to the Eredivisie title. The 21-year-old was the league’s top goalscorer, bagging 22 goals, three clear of his teammate Luuk de Jong.

The Daily Mail reported that the Netherlands international ended one of the summer’s earliest transfer sagas last week, by completing a £25m move to our Premier League rivals Manchester United.

We were pretty miffed, especially as Brendan Rodgers suggested that we were not after the player once the deal had been done, according to The Guardian.

But, Voetbal International claimed that Depay was ready to pick Anfield over Old Trafford, before we decided that our transfer priorities changed at the last minute.

The injury to Daniel Sturridge, as well as the number of options already in Depay’s position, meant that buying a striker in the summer has become our main concern. And, to find one of Premier League standard, we will have to spend a large amount of money. Unfortunately, the £25m that United ended up spending on the Depay would represent a sizeable amount of our transfer kitty. Buying the Dutchman, when we already have a cluster of wingers, and not going after a forward, would be perhaps naive.
      http://www.empireofthekop.com/2015/05/16/liverpool-did-pull-out-of-depay-deal-according-to-dutch-magazine/

I don't know how reliable the sources are, but you never know.

Cloak and daggers, smokescreen and all that.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #68: May 16, 2015 03:00:53 pm
      Liverpool did pull out of Depay deal, according to Dutch magazine
      Reports from Dutch magazine Voetbal have suggested that Memphis Depay did not become a Liverpool player because we pulled out of the deal…

The story says that we were interested in the attacker, and that we were in pole position to sign him, until we changed our minds and allowed first PSG and then Man United to take the lead in the chase for his signature.

The winger had become one of Europe’s hottest properties, after a stunning season guided his current side PSV Eindhoven to the Eredivisie title. The 21-year-old was the league’s top goalscorer, bagging 22 goals, three clear of his teammate Luuk de Jong.

The Daily Mail reported that the Netherlands international ended one of the summer’s earliest transfer sagas last week, by completing a £25m move to our Premier League rivals Manchester United.

We were pretty miffed, especially as Brendan Rodgers suggested that we were not after the player once the deal had been done, according to The Guardian.

But, Voetbal International claimed that Depay was ready to pick Anfield over Old Trafford, before we decided that our transfer priorities changed at the last minute.

The injury to Daniel Sturridge, as well as the number of options already in Depay’s position, meant that buying a striker in the summer has become our main concern. And, to find one of Premier League standard, we will have to spend a large amount of money. Unfortunately, the £25m that United ended up spending on the Depay would represent a sizeable amount of our transfer kitty. Buying the Dutchman, when we already have a cluster of wingers, and not going after a forward, would be perhaps naive.
      http://www.empireofthekop.com/2015/05/16/liverpool-did-pull-out-of-depay-deal-according-to-dutch-magazine/

I don't know how reliable the sources are, but you never know.

Cloak and daggers, smokescreen and all that.

Here's my issue...how did we just "all of the sudden" realize that a striker was our main priority? Sturridge has been injured all season...it's not like it was a revelation. To be honest, I was quite surprised that we were being linked to another winger, but I just assumed it was a replacement for Sterling. Hopefully, this means we are pretty confident that Sterling will be staying because if Sterling goes, it will have been stupid to have not actually snatched this kid up.

Quick Reply