Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Our squad - the full list

Read 1984 times
      dnNeelis
      • Forum Erik Meijer
      • Started Topic

• 34 posts |
      Our squad - the full list
      May 08, 2015 03:04:51 pm
      This is a small rant about my problem with our transfer policy. The striker list got me thinking, of our recent transfers, who is actually going to take our club any further? And I know this might be a bit too easy but I just want to make a point. Take a look at our squad:

Coutinho, Henderson, Sturridge, Sakho, Sterling, Moreno, Mignolet, Can, Sterling, Ibe, Srktel are the only players imo that have the required level or showed signs of that.

Of course Gerrard will leave and there are of course some players who are debatable and might prove to be good enough like Lallana and Markovic but the amount we paid for them is stupid. And all this talk about strengtening the squad is pissing me of. What is the use of a big squad if the players don’t have the required level?

These are the players under contract. I let some youth players out of the list.

1. Jones
      2. Johnson
      3. Enrique
      4. Toure
      6. Lovren
      8. Gerrard
      9. Lambert
      10. Coutinho
      14. Henderson
      15. Sturridge

16. Coates
      17. Sakho
      18. Moreno

19. Manquillo
      20. Lallana
      21. Lucas
      22. Mignolet
      23. Can

24. Allen
      26. Ilori
      29. Borini
      31. Sterling
      33. Ibe
      37. Skrtel

38. Flanagan
      45. Balotelli
      47. Wisdom
      50. Markovic
      - Alberto
      - Aspas
      - Origi

What remains is 21 players in our club that will probably/might never reach the level to compete for silverware/Champions League spots or don’t fit our play style. Why can’t we just buy less players, but pay higher wages and fees for players that actually improve our team. 21 players, thats a lot of money in terms of fees and wages..
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Our squad - the full list
      Reply #1: May 09, 2015 12:05:27 am
      So, let's start this topic again shall we.

Why can’t we just buy less players, but pay higher wages and fees for players that actually improve our team. 21 players, thats a lot of money in terms of fees and wages..

It's a case of getting the right balance. Why we go spending 7mill on players like Luis Alberto who have basically never made a first team appearance is beyond me. It's all well and good investing for the future or whatever but get a settled first team to start with, a team thathas quality throughout and that is capable of competing. Once you have this then you can start to introduce the younger players and their development would be much better by doing this too because they would have the experience around them and wont have the pressure of being deemed a vital player just because they made a good start and are able to perform better than a load of crap that has been previously signed.

Obviously there will be exceptions, young players that are already proving they are able to perform at a high level and are ready, Emre Can for example. It's just finding a balance but for some reason we seem intent on signing virtual unknowns (Aspas for example) for 7mill again, in the hope we have found a bargain or we are wasting 20 odd million on the likes of Lallana, who although is a good player, he isn't good enough to be commanding a fee such as that and that money can be better spent elsewhere.

All this bargain hunting isn't working, all these 7-10millions add up and before you know it we have wasted 30million+ on the likes of Aspas, Alberto, Ilori, Borini etc who are just loaned out after a season or straight away in some cases. Or a better way of viewing it, all their fees add up to more than a Cesc Fabregas or a Diego Costa, 2 players that have massively improved a team and helped keep a team top for virtually an entire season.

Looking at the list of players in the opening post, there doesn't look to be a whole lot of quality there IMO, certainly not to the extent that makes me think next season will be any different, which is why it is vital we get the transfers bang on this summer, there is no more room for passengers. We spend a lot of money on players so it is about time we started seeing some results from that.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2: May 22, 2015 11:16:04 pm
      must be at least 10 players who should never put on a Red shirt not whilst we have ambition.
      But i dont trust FSG to buy the right players and who would be prepared to come.
      In a situation like this we need a very early signal of intent and a major name coming in. Cant see it myself
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #3: May 23, 2015 11:42:54 am
      Flanagan certainly showed he has the level to be a regular in a team competing for the title and was brillant in every important game last season, if he can heal and recover that level one day he's one more player with the required level imo.
      Mignolet I'm not so convinced, he's an excellent shot stopper but his distribution and lack of authority are two of our main weaknesses against good teams.
      I don't get why we haven't kept here and given more chances to Coates and Illori, imo they are far to be bad and would both have been better options than Toure and Lovren. May be too late for Coates but Illori is certainly a player I wouldn't rule out for the future.
      As well for Markovic, Allen, Lovren and Lallana, they all showed glimpses of talent in patches and I'd be surprised if they all stay as bad as they were for the most part of this season, and even at that level all may be useful to have in the squad.
      So globally I wouldn't be as negative, imo LFC needs 3 or 4 proven 1st team additions (including one striker for sure), then out of some complete failures (Borini, Balo), most players we have can be usefull, I see no need to ship out half the squad and start another rebuilding phase.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #4: May 23, 2015 12:41:54 pm
      This is a small rant about my problem with our transfer policy. The striker list got me thinking, of our recent transfers, who is actually going to take our club any further? And I know this might be a bit too easy but I just want to make a point. Take a look at our squad:

Coutinho, Henderson, Sturridge, Sakho, Sterling, Moreno, Mignolet, Can, Sterling, Ibe, Srktel are the only players imo that have the required level or showed signs of that.

Of course Gerrard will leave and there are of course some players who are debatable and might prove to be good enough like Lallana and Markovic but the amount we paid for them is stupid. And all this talk about strengtening the squad is pissing me of. What is the use of a big squad if the players don’t have the required level?

These are the players under contract. I let some youth players out of the list.

1. Jones
      2. Johnson
      3. Enrique
      4. Toure
      6. Lovren
      8. Gerrard
      9. Lambert
      10. Coutinho
      14. Henderson
      15. Sturridge

16. Coates
      17. Sakho
      18. Moreno

19. Manquillo
      20. Lallana
      21. Lucas
      22. Mignolet
      23. Can

24. Allen
      26. Ilori
      29. Borini
      31. Sterling
      33. Ibe
      37. Skrtel

38. Flanagan
      45. Balotelli
      47. Wisdom
      50. Markovic
      - Alberto
      - Aspas
      - Origi

What remains is 21 players in our club that will probably/might never reach the level to compete for silverware/Champions League spots or don’t fit our play style. Why can’t we just buy less players, but pay higher wages and fees for players that actually improve our team. 21 players, thats a lot of money in terms of fees and wages..

What has made you come to the decisions that the likes of Origi, Ilori, Lucas, Markovic, Flanagan etc. don't have a future at the club?
      dnNeelis
      • Forum Erik Meijer
      • Started Topic

• 34 posts |
      Reply #5: May 23, 2015 06:52:42 pm
      What has made you come to the decisions that the likes of Origi, Ilori, Lucas, Markovic, Flanagan etc. don't have a future at the club?

I never said that they don't have a future at the club, I just can't see them take the club to a higher level. As you could see I stated that some of them might prove to be good enough, Origi including since he has showed some signs of real potential. The amount we paid for Markovic is stupid imo for what he has proven. I also stated that this list might be a bit too easy, I just wanted to highlight that most of the players at our club haven't showed that they have what is required to play for big club like Liverpool.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #6: May 23, 2015 07:54:02 pm
      I never said that they don't have a future at the club, I just can't see them take the club to a higher level. As you could see I stated that some of them might prove to be good enough, Origi including since he has showed some signs of real potential. The amount we paid for Markovic is stupid imo for what he has proven. I also stated that this list might be a bit too easy, I just wanted to highlight that most of the players at our club haven't showed that they have what is required to play for big club like Liverpool.

Markovic is a 20 year old that has only had 1 season in a different country and league, and has been played mostly at wing back. It's hard to do much at wing back when you're not one.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #7: May 23, 2015 08:18:33 pm
      Moreno and Skrtel (even though he has improved this season, it wasn't tough to stand out when you have Lovren around to be honest) shouldn't be on that list of players who are indispensable here.
      dnNeelis
      • Forum Erik Meijer
      • Started Topic

• 34 posts |
      Reply #8: May 23, 2015 10:56:36 pm
      Well maybe Markovic shouldn't have been highlighted and maybe Moreno and Skrtel should, everyone will have his own opinion on that. But that's not the point. All I'm trying to show is that we have a squad 2/3 filled with mediocre players. And its pissing me of, these aren't the quality of players we should be after and they will never help us getting back to being one of the best clubs in the world. And all the fees and salary we spend on so many mediocre players is ridiculous. What is the use of a big squad filled with average players if our first 11 aren't even good enough to compete.

Quick Reply