Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Do you want us to be in the Europa League.

Yes
      14 (58.3%)
      No
      10 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: Aug 25, 2015 01:12:48 pm

Europa League 2015/16

Read 2733 times
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Europa League 2015/16
      May 17, 2015 01:12:48 pm
      So its back to Thursday night, Sunday afternoon/Monday night footie again.

Positives
      We have a young squad that needs European footie for their own development, likewise the manager was awful in Europe this season, so he needs this too.
      TV rights and the money from same are not a bad issue either.

Playing amongst some of the best or 2nd best teams in Europe is always great.
      Win and you get 11m and a champions league position
      Had we not got Europa, FSG may have deemed the current squad as strong enough to just handle the domestic games so surely they will cough up the books to clear the dead wood and replace with quality? Wishful thinking?
      Will the Europa help attract big names that we need?
      Keeps our footballing name in the mix of Europe... but hopefully this time for the right reason.

Negatives
      Travelling to god knows where and back during the cold winter.

Average amount of games for the Europa = 9.
      Average amount of PL positions dropped when playing in Europa = 2.3. <- Da F**k? A ridiculously worrying stat.

Does this also mean we are going to keep half the sh*t we have at the club, just so we can use them as squad players to get through these games?

Personally cant wait to see the back of these 4 at this great club; Lambert, Borini, Ballo, Johnson. Would hate to see them kept just as backup for these games.

Would you rather we got it or finished outside the Europa?

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,244 posts | 4930 
      Re: Europa League 2015/16
      Reply #1: May 17, 2015 01:13:37 pm
      I'm struggling to understand the poll.

Am a being thick?
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #2: May 17, 2015 01:20:44 pm

Am a being thick?

oh, o. I think i click too fast, without reading the question carefully.    :mad: :mad: :mad:

???
      LFCexiled
      Reply #3: May 17, 2015 01:21:05 pm

Am a being thick?

Nope, the question has two questions with only a yes or no.

Q: Do you want us to be in the Europa League.

A: Yes or No

Simples
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #4: May 17, 2015 01:23:23 pm
      Yes. I can't make many weekend games. European and cup games have been 90% of my trips to Anfield the past two years.

Also, it's another route into the Champions League available to us if we can win it. Not that we will with the current squad.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #5: May 17, 2015 01:25:32 pm

Simples

This is the exact question.

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #6: May 17, 2015 01:26:37 pm
      You get slated for saying it on here but I'd prefer giving it a miss. If we lose to Stoke and Saints/Spurs win & Villa win the cup then we might still get out of it.

Its no coincidence that the clubs who participate in this curse of a competition suffer domestically. The best example I can give is everton. Last season believe it or not everton were a very good footballing side. They were in the race for the top four until that humiliating defeat at Anfield which knocked the stuffing out of them (a bit like us losing to the mancs this season actually), but they still finished 5th and it was a very good season for them.

This year they played quite well in the Europa for most parts but were tragically poor in the league, competing in a relegation battle up until 2 months ago.

Since they got knocked out of the Europa they have won something like 5 in 7 and are now in the top half of the league again. I bet now that they perform much better in the league next season without EL football and they'll be in the top 6 again.

Its not just the blueshite though, any club that competes in this competition traditionally suffers in the league. We have ourselves in the past too.

If you're in the Ukraine on Thursday, you might not come home until the Saturday, then you have a game at Southampton on the Sunday. Its tiring and it gives you no time to prepare either.

I also agree that I can imagine sh*te like Johnson getting a new deal now too if we're in the EL next season.

I don't think the club would notice the financial difference much if we qualify or not, therefore id be more inclined to swerve the EL and go back to 1 game a week focussing on the league.

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #7: May 17, 2015 01:27:51 pm

Am a being thick?

Nope, the poll's answers don't reflect the poll's question. In answer to the question though, yes we should be in it, if for no other reason other than I'm sick of listening to knobhaeds on this forum having hissy fits over the manager. If we finished 7th I'd have to leave the board for three months  :roll:
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #8: May 17, 2015 01:29:03 pm

Simples

Whoops... Corrected.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #9: May 17, 2015 01:30:18 pm
      This is the exact question.

There isn't a yes or no to that question, we either (a) get in it or (b) don't. You can't do both so yes or no doesn't work.

Personally I'd rather we were in 12th so I didn't even have to be arsed thinking about it.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #10: May 17, 2015 01:34:49 pm
      Now there's a question I can answer I went for no, I'd rather we got all the lads gelling and focussed on the league and domestic cups. Build them into a team that way, get them at their best and build towards Europe the season after.

F**k all that travelling to far off sh*t-holes playing shitey little teams, leave that for everton to do.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #11: May 17, 2015 01:39:14 pm
      As I understand things, we are NOT guaranteed Europa League football.

We are 5th, it is possible for us to finish 7th.
      We loose against Stoke, and Spurs and Southampton both win.

5th Spurs 64pts
      6th Soton 63pts
      7th L.pool 62pts

If Aston Villa win the FACup, we're out.

Europa Leaguehttp://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/11542968/promotion-relegation-europe-ups-and-downs.html
      Fifth and sixth will automatically qualify, on account of Chelsea winning the League Cup. That will extend down to seventh if Arsenal beat Aston Villa in the FA Cup final.

And because of that, this is locked possibly forever, or until 5pm next Sunday.

Your bonus (lads only) here is JL

Quick Reply