Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

HEYSEL 30 YEARS: An Introduction. (TAW)

Read 9370 times
      CarterUSM
      • On Trial
      • Started Topic

• 1 posts |
      May 19, 2015 08:44:52 am
      It’s nearly 30 years to the day since the name of Liverpool FC, and the reputation of the city of Liverpool, was deeply tarnished by the appalling events in the Heysel Stadium. After all this time, I still find it hard to comprehend how such a shocking turn of events came to pass, especially given the generally good reputation of our fans beforehand.

Everyone knows what happened inside the stadium, and that has been discussed thoroughly elsewhere. What I’m still curious about, is how the events of the day were to lead to such a horrifying climax.

I should explain that at the time, I was an impoverished student living in a house without television and did not have regular access to newspapers (and consequently did not see/read many accounts of the immediate aftermath). I watched the game in the student union bar, and like everyone else was reduced to a state of numb shock.

I’ve read some accounts of the day’s events, most notably in two excellent books, From Where I Was Standing by Chris Rowland, and Far Foreign Land by Tony Evans (both of which are required reading for all LFC fans). Both tell their tales from different standpoints; whereas for Chris and his mates their trip to Brussels started out as a light-hearted jolly, the mood of Tony and his companions was very different. After having described how they were subjected to attacks from Roma fans the year before, he then goes on to describe his experiences on the day of the tragedy in what is one of the most shockingly honest narrative passages I have ever read.

It was only many years after the event that I discovered that Liverpool fans had been attacked by Roma ultras in 1984; as Tony mentions in his book, there appeared to have been minimal coverage of this in the national media. One of the aspects of the whole sorry saga I find interesting, was that no apparent attempt was made on the part of Liverpool supporters, to distinguish between Roma and Juve fans. It has been said many times that the seeds of Heysel were sewn in Rome the year before. Maybe those Liverpool fans who were brutalised in Rome were sufficiently embittered to fall back upon negative national stereotyping, that all Italian football fans were $h!thouses who couldn’t be trusted. I don’t know if that’s a fair assumption to make. It was interesting that there were no apparent problems with Milan fans in either the 2005 or 2007 finals, although by that time plenty of water had flowed under the bridge since 1985 and presumably any ill-feeling towards Italians had largely disappeared (not forgetting that, once again, Liverpool supporters were assaulted by Roma hooligans prior to the UEFA Cup tie in the Olympic Stadium in 2001).

Going back to the day itself, some 14,000 Liverpool fans attended the match, so obviously there are 14,000 different stories to be told, of which Tony’s and Chris’s are only two. I’ve come across accounts of Liverpool and Juve fans having a friendly match at a campsite the night before the game, of rival supporters seemingly mingling with no hint of animosity in the city centre beforehand and with no indication of the trouble that was to follow. I’ve also read about the disturbances in the Grand Place, of jewellers’ stores being looted, of widespread drunkenness outside the stadium prior to the disaster. Tony Evans’ account, in particular, described what appeared to be an appalling, shameful scene of unrestrained alcohol-fuelled anarchy, with a sizeable minority of Liverpool fans seemingly the worse for wear from all-day drinking, and some already showing violent hostility towards Juve fans. Even before the horrific events inside the ground, it seems that the reputation of Liverpool had already been tainted.

What is difficult to grasp is how quickly proceedings seemingly got out of control, from apparent good humour and joviality at the start of the day to the scenes of hatred, violence and death at the end. I’m just interested to hear people’s experiences of the hours before the match, what the mood was like amongst their fellow supporters, if there was any feeling of tension or animosity beforehand,  whether they had experienced or witnessed any interactions with Juve fans (positive or negative), whether they had seen any scenes of disorder or violence in the city centre or outside the stadium, whether there was a distinct point during the day when the mood turned ugly; in short, a sense of how the day developed. If any Juve fans happen to be reading this, it would be particularly interesting to hear of their experiences as well.

I realise that this subject has probably been covered on several occasions before, so apologies for going over old ground if this is the case.

Thanks for taking the trouble to read this.

RIP the 39.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1: May 28, 2015 11:08:11 pm
      HEYSEL 30 YEARS: AN INTRODUCTION

by Gareth Roberts // 28 May 2015 //

Soccer - European Cup - Final - Liverpool v Juventus - Heysel StadiumTHIRTY years ago this week a group of Liverpool fans repeatedly charged towards supporters in section Z of the Heysel stadium. Inadequate chicken wire fence did nothing to prevent them running free among rival supporters and 12 policemen stationed to keep them apart simply ran away, according to eye-witnesses.

Fleeing from a quick fire series of three stampedes, terrified Juventus fans retreated to a corner of the Z section and tried to climb a wall to escape. In a tumble down stadium ill-suited to the occasion of a European Cup final, a wall crumbled and fans were crushed to death in a sickening human pile up.

Thirty nine people — 32 from Italy, four from Belgium, two from France, one from Northern Ireland, the youngest 11 years old — died as a result of their actions.
      Six hundred more were injured.

Nothing can ever excuse the actions of those wearing the colours of Liverpool that made the charges that day. They had to live with the consequences of their actions. But at least they came home.

Thirty-nine football fans went to watch the game they loved and didn’t ever return to the arms of their relatives.

If a collective anger from their families and fellow Juventus supporters is aimed towards Liverpool the club, Liverpool the city and Liverpool the people, it is perfectly understandable. Their anger is also aimed at the football authorities, the police forces on the day and even their own football club — for playing the match, for celebrating the victory, for doing little to remember their loved ones for too long (a charge that can also be levelled at Liverpool FC).

Belgium Heysel 25 Years LaterThe needless deaths of 39 football fans on May 29, 1985, has been — and will forever remain — an indelible stain on the reputation of Liverpool fans. But that it is used as an opportunity to point score is a sadness in itself. It is also among the motivations for trying to put the record straight with what we are doing here.

Despite being a group that runs into millions worldwide, and embraces all ages, Liverpool fans are routinely labelled “murderers” by some, whether they were among the 59,000 fans to attend the 1985 European Cup final or not. Whether they were among the much smaller number that made the charges or not.

Those Liverpool fans identified from video footage as being key to the tragic events at Heysel were brought to justice.
      In September 1987, following an investigation by Merseyside Police, Britain’s biggest ever mass-extradition began with 25 fans transported from Wormwood Scrubs in London to an RAF base in Oxfordshire.

They were flown to Belgium in a military aircraft and driven to the law courts in central Brussels, where they were questioned and formally remanded by magistrates.

One man remained in the UK awaiting trial for a separate offence.

Soccer - European Cup - Final - Liverpool v Juventus - Heysel StadiumOf the accused, 13 were from Merseyside, one from Bristol, two from Cheshire, two from London, two from Staffordshire, two from Greater Manchester, one from Cumbria, one from Southampton, one from Suffolk and one from Lancashire.

The youngest of the number was 18, the oldest 29. Their jobs ranged from painter, rail guard and labourer, to miner, electrician, carpenter and greengrocer’s assistant.

Fourteen of the extradited fans were found guilty of voluntary manslaughter after a five-month trial.
      Seven men were given three-year prison terms and the remainder received three-year suspended sentences.
      Jacques Georges, the Uefa president at the time, and Hans Bangerter, his general secretary, were threatened with imprisonment but given conditional discharges.

Albert Roosens, the former secretary-general of the Belgian Football Union (BFU), was given a six-month suspended prison sentence for “regrettable negligence” with regard to ticketing. So was gendarme captain Johan Mahieu, who was in charge of policing the stands at Heysel.

Two days after the 1985 final Uefa announced an indefinite ban on English clubs. It was upheld for five years, with Liverpool serving a sixth as punishment for their supporters’ behaviour.
      Those are the facts.

Around the facts is a wider tale; context for the sad events of that May day 30 years ago. That context warrants discussion, here and elsewhere. But it is only that. Context. Not an excuse.

The Belgian police lead a baton charge at the Liverpool supporters at Heysel in 1985Here on The Anfield Wrap, we want to talk — fairly, honestly and respectfully – about Heysel. This week’s anniversary has offered us the opportunity to do just that.
      We want to challenge the myth that Liverpool supporters will not speak of that day or accept that some of their own — from the same streets, supporting the same team — were culpable in the deaths of fellow football fans.

Heysel is routinely referred to as the forgotten tragedy in the wider world, perhaps reflecting the history of inadequate and inappropriate responses from both Liverpool and Juventus football clubs.

But among fans? It is not forgotten by any Liverpool fan I know. Nor should it be. It appears the same applies in Italy among the Juventus fans.
      My first-hand recollections of what happened that night are vague. I was eight. Nearly nine. And I was in the back room of my parent’s house rather than on the terraces in Brussels.

I have the vaguest of memories of watching confusing news reports and disturbing images where football should have been, nothing more. But I have friends and family who were there on the day. I have heard the stories first hand, read the books, watched the videos and seen the pictures.

It was a different world; a shockingly contrast to the football matches of today which have become — in the main, and in England at least — family-friendly occasions.

Soccer - European Cup - Final - Liverpool v Juventus - Heysel StadiumThree decades have passed and there are generations of fans who will know little of Heysel. They will not know of how it was to be a football supporter in the 1980s. Of the hooliganism that prevailed among the support of almost every club. Of the woefully inadequate infrastructure of the game. Of the ill treatment and unwarranted stereotyping of the common fan by the wider world.

What they do know and experience is that some rival fans think we should be reminded that we are “murderers”. We are told that “we’re always the victims but it’s never our fault” while some supporters chant about winning European Cups “without killing anyone”. “Thirty nine Italians can’t be wrong,” they say.

Others ask: “What about justice for the 39?”And when we discuss what happened at Hillsborough, they ask: “What about Heysel?”

The suggestion — sometimes implicit, often explicit — is that Liverpool fans are willfully hiding from the truth. Desperately covering up a dark day. That we will not talk about those who 30 years ago travelled abroad to watch a European Cup final against Juventus and returned to England with blood on their hands after they were aided and abetted by a depressing set of circumstances that should never have been allowed to occur.
      So we’ve talked about it.

At length. In depth. From all angles.

To people who were there on the day. To supporters who recognise fans at the front of the Liverpool charge that were known hooligans. To long-standing fans of the club who remember the dilapidated stadium in Brussels, and the disorganised chaos of the policing and ticket selling on the day. To Italians. To Juventus fans. To national journalists deployed to Brussels to tell the tale.

We have sifted through the boxes of statements from the accused and witnesses that were presented to the courts as evidence. We have reproduced extracts from a book that was painstakingly researched and written in the wake of Heysel only for it never to see the light of day and lie gathering dust as the events at Hillsborough left a world without an appetite for its contents.

Liverpool the club once tried to brush Heysel under the carpet. There is plenty of evidence which says Liverpool the people did not do the same. We’re not doing that now, either.

We hope that our coverage of what happened 30 years ago can challenge some of the myths around Heysel and the reaction to it in Liverpool. It is a low point in the history of the club. But that doesn’t not mean it should not be discussed.
      It is not to seek forgiveness nor friendship. It is not to score points or distort the truth. It’s a matter of record. A matter of respect. And a matter of honesty.

May 29, 1985 will be a date never forgotten in the city of Liverpool and among Liverpool fans. Nor should it be. The 39 people who died at Heysel will always be remembered:

Rocco Acerra (29)
      Bruno Balli (50)
      Alfons Bos (35)
      Giancarlo Bruschera (21)
      Andrea Casula (11)
      Giovanni Casula (44)
      Nino Cerullo (24)
      Willy Chielens (41)
      Giuseppina Conti (17)
      Dirk Daenecky (38)
      Dionisio Fabbro (51)
      Jacques François (45)
      Eugenio Gagliano (35)
      Francesco Galli (25)
      Giancarlo Gonnelli (20)
      Alberto Guarini (21)
      Giovacchino Landini (50)
      Roberto Lorentini (31)
      Barbara Lusci (58)
      Franco Martelli (22)
      Loris Messore (28)
      Gianni Mastroiaco (20)
      Sergio Bastino Mazzino (38)
      Luciano Rocco Papaluca (38)
      Luigi Pidone (31)
      Benito Pistolato (50)
      Patrick Radcliffe (38)
      Domenico Ragazzi (44)
      Antonio Ragnanese (49)
      Claude Robert (27)
      Mario Ronchi (43)
      Domenico Russo (28)
      Tarcisio Salvi (49)
      Gianfranco Sarto (47)
      Amedeo Giuseppe Spolaore (55)
      Mario Spanu (41)
      Tarcisio Venturin (23)
      Jean Michel Walla (32)
      Claudio Zavaroni (28).
      Rest In Peace.

link

RIP 39 fans who never came home.
      Paisleydalglish
      Re: HEYSEL 30 YEARS: An Introduction. (TAW)
      Reply #2: May 28, 2015 11:16:36 pm
      Rip to the 39 souls lost before their time

A sad day in our history 

Would like to see Juve win the CL this year as a mark 30 years on for those fans they lost
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,104 posts | 2762 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #3: May 28, 2015 11:24:16 pm
      This is it? 30 years on from a huge tragedy involving our club we have 1 reply to a thread?

Senseless waste of life on a night I'll never forget where I was watching those scenes unfold waiting to see my heroes. Pure madness.

May those who lost there life rest in peace
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #4: May 28, 2015 11:27:17 pm
      RAWK has a great thread on this. I said there we need to focus on this every year and put in the same effort we do with Hillsborough. A life lost is a life lost, no matter how much it didn't impact you it impacted someone else, and I think the club should do a lot more to deal with this.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #5: May 28, 2015 11:45:47 pm
      I still remember it now as it unfolded on the TV. Just couldn't believe what I was seeing.

A black night in our history indeed.

Rest in peace all those who never made it home.

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #6: May 29, 2015 12:09:27 am
      A dark chapter in our history. RIP the 39 souls.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #7: May 29, 2015 12:37:36 am
      Second European Cup final I remember watching as a kid. Horrible day in our history and history of UEFA.

A combination of hooliganism and a terrible accident. People did face justice. People were punished. And you only have to look at the level of football violence in England and Italy to see who has learned the lessons.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,924 posts | 283 
      Reply #8: May 29, 2015 12:53:00 am
      Was 1 at the time, so can't recall it. Everyone that goes to see a football match, should be able to come back home.

Amistad - RIP 39
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #9: May 29, 2015 12:59:16 am
      I remeber when we played Juve in the CL a few years back, Juventus handled the meeting with great respect. Sad for families still affected by this.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6353 
      Reply #10: May 29, 2015 04:41:41 am
      RIP the 39.

Senseless :(
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #11: May 29, 2015 05:28:10 am
      RIP to the 39.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #12: May 29, 2015 06:05:04 am
      I was 9 years old and remember watching it on tv with my Dad.

Terrible day in the history of the club.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #13: May 29, 2015 07:14:18 am
      I remember Grobelaar's spaghetti legs against Roma before this and can recall everything about our FA Cup win against Everton to win the double after it but have not one memory of this. I  probably watched certain parts and was then kept from it by my Dad.

Good to see a lot of people talking about it and awkwardly going places that others are scared to go.

RIP the 39.

Heysel disaster 30th anniversary: An Italian journalist remembers a tragedy that was 'hidden' for so long

By SIMON HART

It was 30 years ago, but Simone Stenti’s memories of standing in Block Z at the Heysel Stadium have not faded. “I saw a hooligan try to climb the fence, and a policeman went there with a truncheon and tried to stop him but the hooligan took the truncheon and beat the policeman,” he tells The Independent. “It was the moment we understood we had to get out of there. The sky was filled by stones, bottles, sticks and rubble.”

The details remain chilling but what is striking about the Italian response in the years after Heysel is that, in Stenti’s words, it was “hidden” for so long. Last Saturday, at Juventus’s home match against Napoli, he saw a giant banner unfolded in the Curva Scirea bearing the number 39 and the word “Rispetto” – respect – as fans in that same end held aloft white cards carrying the names of the victims.

It sounds unremarkable compared with Liverpool’s annual Hillsborough memorial service but in Italy, where Juventus have stood accused in the past of distancing themselves from the disaster, it was a significant moment, as Stenti, a Milan-based journalist, explains.

“The number 39 was hidden. When it was used, it was used by rival fans to insult. Ninety-six is a number displayed with pride by the Liverpool fans but, until Saturday, 39 was seen as a number of shame. But it is not a shame – they were all innocent.”

One of the best guides to the trail of events following the horrific events of 29 May 1985 is a book, Heysel: The Truth, by another Italian journalist, Francesco Caremani. He was a family friend of Roberto Lorentini, a 31-year-old doctor killed at Heysel while trying to save an injured boy, who subsequently received a silver medal of civic honour for bravery. Lorentini’s father, Otello, founded the Heysel Victims’ Families’ Association which led a legal battle in the Belgian courts against those responsible. “He founded the association and pushed for a trial against the hooligans, the Belgian authorities and Uefa,” Caremani explains to The Independent.

There are grim parallels with Hillsborough in the story of Lorentini’s fight. Roberto’s death certificate said 11.50pm, even though his father had held his son’s lifeless body in the stadium. “I received a paper from Brussels stating that my son died an ‘accidental death’,” Lorentini said in Caremani’s book. “I couldn’t stand that.”
      After a five-year court battle, in 1990, following a successful appeal Uefa was found civilly liable, with its general secretary, Hans Bangerter, receiving a three-month suspended sentence and fine. “The sentence was very important to make Uefa responsible when it came to staging events,” Caremani says.
      Juve’s president, Andrea Agnelli, is credited with changing the club’s attitude towards Heysel Juve’s president, Andrea Agnelli, is credited with changing the club’s attitude towards Heysel.

From a distance of three decades, the mistakes are shocking: from the sale to unknowing Juventus fans of 5,000 tickets for the neutral Z Block next to the Liverpool supporters, to the decision to release 28 policemen from that sector to deal with a petty theft, leaving fewer than a dozen to face the onslaught. There was the state of the stadium, as another survivor, Claudio Chiarini, recalls: “The stadium was crumbling and decrepit. It was a completely inappropriate choice.” Chiarini remembers the sight of Liverpool fans carrying crates of beer into the ground unchallenged, the way they broke off chunks of terracing as missiles, and the flimsy chicken-wire fence easily torn down when they attacked.

This evening, Juventus will remember the victims at a special Mass at the Gran Madre di Dio church in Turin, yet according to Caremani, it took the arrival of the Andrea Agnelli, now 39, as president for the club’s attitude towards Heysel to change. Although there was a small ceremony involving Lorentini and then team captains Alessandro Del Piero and Sami Hyypia when Juventus faced Liverpool in Turin in the 2005 Champions League, that year’s memorial service and match involving the two clubs’ youth teams was an initiative by the victims’ families’ association and took place in Arezzo.

“For 25 years the victims, the families were completely alone – they were alone in the trial and nobody helped them financially,” adds Caremani.

And though the new Juventus Stadium features a memorial to the victims, the awkward relationship between the families’ association and the club continues. In the lead-up to this 30th anniversary, Domenico Laudadio, creator of an online Heysel memorial, wrote a theatrical monologue about the tragedy which the club watered down so much that the association cancelled the project.

“They don’t want to speak about Heysel and responsibility because I think it is a club with an image, a brand, with relationships with Uefa, with Liverpool, with Belgium,” Caremani says.

But Stenti takes heart from last Saturday’s emotional stadium tribute. “We clearly know what happened and who was responsible. Now we can only commemorate the dead and remember them as civil heroes because in Italy nobody knows who they were.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/heysel-disaster-30th-anniversary-an-italian-journalist-remembers-a-tragedy-that-was-hidden-for-so-long-10283163.html

HEYSEL 30 YEARS: AN EYEWITNESS ACCOUNT OF MAY 29, 1985 IN BRUSSELS

by Tony Evans

ON a sunny Brussels morning, there was a moment that, more than anything that would happen over the ensuing 24 hours, continues to haunt me. Our train had just arrived at Jette station and a long column of Liverpool supporters set off downhill towards the centre of the city. I lingered and watched them, chequered flags flying, and thought it looked like a medieval army on the move.

Above the narrow street, the locals hung out of open windows and watched, half-grinning but nervous. As I set off for the Grand’Place, I thought: ‘We can do what we like today. No one can stop us.’
      The mood in Brussels was complex. In the aftermath, most commentators would ignore the effect of the events in Rome the previous year and even those who alluded to 1984 saw Heysel in terms of ‘hooligan gangs looking for revenge’. It was very different, much more complex and consequently more frightening. We were radiating aggression. The ultras had made us suffer once, but it would not happen again.

There were few direct attacks on opposition supporters, but there was an eagerness to take the upper hand in any potential conflict. No one wanted to be a victim. Minor misunderstandings quickly escalated into full-scale confrontation, much to the shock of the Italians.

Turning into a narrow street in the centre of town, my brother and I saw about six Juventus fans in their twenties lounging outside a cafe, trying to look cool and tough at the same time. When one looked me straight in the eye, giving me a classic hard-case once-over, I snarled: ‘Go on gobs***e, say something.’ They did not take up the offer. But the tone was set. And the drinking had not even started.
      The Grand’Place was less tense than might have been expected. Liverpool fans were here in numbers and small groups who had travelled independently met up, felt safe and relaxed into an afternoon of drinking. Clustered around the bars, we sang, bare-chested in the sun and, briefly, bonhomie abounded. It was almost idyllic.

The morning had passed off quietly and the fear of ultras began to dissipate. Juventus fans ran across the square with their forty-foot Piedmont flags merging seamlessly with the seventeenth-century backdrop. It was breathtaking. Then the drink kicked in. The common belief was that Belgian beer was weaker than the booze at home. In the heat,young men used to drinking a gallon of weak mild were quaffing strong lagers and ales as if they were lemonade. Small incidents started to mushroom and suddenly the mood changed and the bars began to shut down.

By now, there were four of us in our little group.We were reluctant to leave the square because other friends were probably heading for the rendezvous. I went to find some beer, taking a red-and-white cap I’d found on the road to give some protection from the sun.

Walking down a narrow street, I saw a crew of scallies laughing almost hysterically. Seeing my quizzical look, they pointed at a shop. It was a jeweller with no protective metal grating over the window. All you could do was laugh.

Farther on, I saw a group of Juventus supporters, and one was wearing a black-and-white sun hat. It would give me more cover in the heat, so I swapped with him. Only he clearly did not want to part with his headwear. He had no choice. Sensing danger, he let me have it and looked in disgust at the flimsy, filthy thing I’d given him. This was not cultural exchange: this was bullying, an assertion of dominance. I remember strutting away, slowly, the body language letting them know how I felt.

There was a supermarket by the bourse and, at the entrance, there stood a Liverpool fan. ‘You’re Scouse?’ he said. There was no need for an answer and he knew what I was there for. ‘It’s free to us today,’ he said, handing me a tray of beer. The rule of law was over. On the way back to the square, the group of Liverpool fans by the jeweller had been replaced by riot police. Glass was scattered all over the street, studded with empty display trays. There was hysteria — and pride — in my laughter.

This was turning into an excellent day.
      We set off for the ground and there seemed to be more and more small confrontations. On other days any cultural misunderstandings would end in hugs and an exchange ofmemorabilia.Here,with the hair-trigger tempers, it was tears, and we were determined they would not be ours.
      We boarded a tram to head north to the ground,slurring and swearing and exuding threatening, drunken boorishness. At our stop, we stood up to get off and Robert collapsed,the alcohol that had been nastily overriding a collective sense of decency was now severing the physical links between brain and body. We hauled him from the middle of the road towards the stadium, two of us with his arms over our shoulder while his feet dragged behind. He appeared unconscious.

Then, on the approaches to the ground,a group of young men up ahead snatched the takings from a stallholder and ran away with his strongbox. The man went in pursuit, leaving the stall unattended. Without seeming to open his eyes, Robert deftly unhooked his arm from around my shoulder and pocketed a Juventus scarf. It was unbelievable. He immediately resumed his comatose state and we dragged him on until we reached a grass verge to lay him down.

Similar madness was everywhere. People were staggering, collapsing, throwing up. A large proportion of Liverpool fans seemed to have lost control. We met a group of mates who had come by coach. A fellow passenger we all knew had leapt off as soon as they arrived and attacked two people, one an Italian, with an iron bar. That we’d long believed him to be psychotic did not lessen the shock.

John,who had been in the line of fire in Rome the year before, dodging flares in the empty Liverpool section, was greeting Juventus fans in heavily Scouse-accented Italian. Naturally friendly, he is a man almost incapable of violence. A group wearing Liverpool shirts attacked him and beat him to the floor. ‘I’m Scouse,’ he was shouting. Few people have a stronger accent. ‘No you’re not,you Wop,’ they said. It took a riot policeman to rescue him.We thought it was hilarious.

What wasn’t funny was the state of the stadium. Even in a drunk and deranged state, it appalled us. The outer wall was breeze block and some of the ticketless were kicking holes at its base and attempting to crawl through. Most were getting savage beatings from the riot police, who were finally making their presence felt. It was easier to walk into the ground and ignore the ticket collector, some ofwhom were seated at what looked like card tables. I went home with a complete ticket. Four years later, on another dreadful day, I would enter another ground without needing to show my ticket. It is not just the Belgians whose inefficiency had deadly consequences.

Inside the stadium, we sat the still inert Robert down and waited until he woke up. He emerged from his torpor with a start and was shocked by the Juventus scarf. ‘You robbed it,’ I said. ‘Oh,no.’ He was appalled. ‘I didn’t hit an Italian, did I?’ ‘No.It’s new. You robbed it in your sleep from a stall.’ ‘Thank God I didn’t hurt anyone,’ he said. ‘I think I was out of control.’

Section Y, where we were standing, grew more and more crowded and, in front of us, a crush barrier buckled and collapsed. Next door, Section Z was supposedly a neutral area. It looked to be mainly Italian, with plenty of room available.We eyed the space with envy.
      The rough treatment by police drew a response and most disappeared from the back of the section after skirmishes. Seeing a policeman beating a young lad who was attempting to climb over the wall and was caught in the barbed wire, I pushed the Belgian officer away. He turned to hit me with his baton and I punched him — not hard — through his open visor. He ran away. It was the second time I’d hit someone in almost 10 years of travelling to football matches — and the other punch was aimed at a Liverpool fan.

With the police gone, groups of youths swarmed over a snack stand and looted it. I climbed on to the roof and was passed up trays of soft drinks to hand around. It felt like being on top of the world up there. Back on the terraces there was an exchange of missiles — nothing serious by the standards of the day. I went to the toilet and, by the time I came back, the fence was down and people were climbing into the neutral section. Unable to locate my group, I joined the swarm.

In section Z I wandered around for a while. There seemed to be very little trouble. People backed away but there were no charges, just a minor scuffle or two. I climbed back into section Y, unaware that 39 people were in the process of dying. It was clear that a huge commotion was going on at the front and we began to get tetchy about the delayed kick-off.

Then there seemed to be a long tirade in Italian over the public address system — someone suggested it was a list of names — and all hell broke loose. Juventus fans came out of their end, around the pitch and attacked the corner where other Liverpool supporters were standing. My mother, youngest brother and sister were in that section. Everyone went crazy. Men tore at the fences to get at the Italians and, at last, the police did an effective job of holding back Liverpool fans.

The brother with me said: ‘If those fences go, football will be finished. There’ll be hundreds dead. It will be over.’ Finally, the police drove the Italians back. The game? Juventus won 1-0, with a plainly unfair penalty, and the team celebrated wildly on the pitch. There appeared to be as much joy on the terraces. That added to the shock later. Surely no one could have been badly hurt before the game if the players reacted like they did when they received the cup?

How naive we were.

Afterwards? Tiredness kicked in with the disappointment but the nervousness over Italian knives lingered. A Belgian policeman gave us a send-off from the stadium by opening the bus doors, throwing in a canister of tear gas and locking everyone in.

At Ostend it was a passive, depressive struggle through overcrowded departure rooms. The police were angry, aggressive and scared. They made sure their guns were very visible and kept dogs snapping at the Liverpool fans. ‘You were glad enough to see us in 1944, you fuckers,’ someone said. No one mentioned death. When the news spread on the boat there was silence and head-shaking. The enormity was overwhelming. How did this happen? The unspoken question perplexed everyone. But instead ofadmitting our own culpability, seeing how our bad attitudes and fear created a situation where people would die,we immediately found other guilty parties to blame and put the victims out of our minds.

Hillsborough brought some empathy for those who died at Heysel. But even that was paltry to the point of insult.

This is an extract from Far Foreign Land: Pride and Passion the Liverpool Way

http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2015/05/heysel-30-years-an-eyewitness-account-of-may-29-1985-in-brussels/

Podcast:

http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2015/05/podcast-heysel-30-years/
      « Last Edit: May 29, 2015 07:46:45 am by what-a-hit-son »
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #14: May 29, 2015 07:45:31 am
      RIP the fallen 39.

Ynwa
      « Last Edit: May 29, 2015 08:13:27 am by Shabs »
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #15: May 29, 2015 07:59:13 am
      I always have tears in my eyes when i read the story of the father who took his kid to the game and both lost their lifes. Andrea Casula (11) and Giovanni Casula (44).

The darkest day in our history, and a sad tragedy. RIP.

chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,285 posts | 2805 
      Reply #16: May 29, 2015 08:10:30 am
      RIP the 39, YNWA.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,500 posts | 1759 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #17: May 29, 2015 08:49:05 am
      RIP39 YNWA.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,341 posts | 1620 
      Reply #18: May 29, 2015 09:02:02 am
      Remember going  out with my mates to watch it got in the pub couldnt believe what was happening , game should never have been played , one of out darkest hours R.I.P. to all those affected , the club / us should never forget that day .
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #19: May 29, 2015 09:16:05 am
      R.I.P. .. the 39
                            We should also remember Joe Fagan on this sad occasion, it broke Joes Heart.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,341 posts | 1620 
      Reply #20: May 29, 2015 09:19:18 am
      R.I.P. .. the 39
                            We should also remember Joe Fagan on this sad occasion, it broke Joes Heart.

Is right Billy that was the night that broke the great man .
      linneman
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,426 posts | 16 
      Reply #21: May 29, 2015 09:28:40 am
      RIP

YNWA
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #22: May 29, 2015 10:00:10 am
      they were terribly dark days and when people go to games now there is no atmosphere of fear. It was tribal fans who caused untold damage during that era going to a football game could be dangerous if you took a wrong turn and walked into a group of apposing fans it was crazy back then. I dont think anyone expected the terrible events that took place 30 years ago it was the perfect storm, poor stadium ,poor policing and aggresive angry fans. The people that died had no part in their own tragedy innocents always seem to pay the heaviest price as we were soon to find out.
      I know Juventus fans find it difficult to forgive and thats completely understandable but I dont think there is a fan who was around at that time isn't deeply saddend still by the events of that night. All we can ever do is say sorry and we should always be ready to apologise for the acts of some mindless individuals whose action caused so much harm.

Quick Reply