Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Tony Barrett - Vulnerable Liverpool are mediocre - and they know it

Read 12912 times
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Re: Tony Barrett - Vulnerable Liverpool are mediocre - and they know it
      Reply #69: May 21, 2015 07:22:34 am
      Nice of Tony Barrett to catch up with his LFCReds reading - good to see he takes notice of what the forum football fans think.   :gt-happyup:

I was thinking that you know and I'm pretty sure I wrote something nearly exact to his closing line regarding us being a stepping stone and not a final destination. It'll be coincidence I'm sure but definitely wrote something very similar.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #70: May 21, 2015 12:28:14 pm
      I was thinking that you know and I'm pretty sure I wrote something nearly exact to his closing line regarding us being a stepping stone and not a final destination. It'll be coincidence I'm sure but definitely wrote something very similar.

Look at the players who have left and gone on to better things Alonso.Mashc,torres (yes even him) Arbeloa and now Suarez.
      ~It would be difficult to argue otherwise you can go back to Macca and then Owen. In the last 20 plus years only when Rafa had us doing so well in Europe did look attractive to players. We now dont pay top money in transfers or wages and cant command CL football its a hard pill to swallow but since Athens 2007 we have been in decline as a force in world football.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,522 posts | 1768 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #71: May 21, 2015 01:01:38 pm
      Look at the players who have left and gone on to better things Alonso.Mashc,torres (yes even him) Arbeloa and now Suarez.
      ~It would be difficult to argue otherwise you can go back to Macca and then Owen. In the last 20 plus years only when Rafa had us doing so well in Europe did look attractive to players. We now dont pay top money in transfers or wages and cant command CL football its a hard pill to swallow but since Athens 2007 we have been in decline as a force in world football.

Exactly when the 1st Yanks took over mate. And now FSG, who I still think are 10 times better, but are learning about the football world and trying to compete on the cheap compared to our rivals.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,522 posts | 1768 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #72: May 21, 2015 01:03:40 pm
      We can describe FSG flaws in many different ways but it means the same thing. Engaging a rookie manager that is far from ready for the job, through no fault of BR and transfer policies that becomes more bizarre by the day, one which is punting on young potentials and sells them when the timely and price is right and no serious intentions of  buying talents. Transfer committee and policies becomes so loose that no one will take respondibility for the failed signings.
      5 years is long enough, FSG is simply the architect of their own downfall. It would be better for them to cash out while they can.
      I can't see it any other way how they can get out of the mess that they have created.

Perhaps the rookie coach philosophy works in Baseball at the top level I don't know, but I don't think it is working here.

ok. we have had rookie coaches over the years, like Fagan, paisley & dalglish, but they all were at the lcub for years as assistants, coaches or players which is totally different to moving around from club to club learning your trade.

redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #73: May 21, 2015 02:32:48 pm
      Perhaps the rookie coach philosophy works in Baseball at the top level I don't know, but I don't think it is working here.

ok. we have had rookie coaches over the years, like Fagan, paisley & dalglish, but they all were at the lcub for years as assistants, coaches or players which is totally different to moving around from club to club learning your trade.

Agreed. Fagan, Paisley, Dalglish came through the rank and file as players and managers and worked under successful managers before them. They have seen what worked and what don't, moreso what worked and make sure it gets done better. Now, we have a BR which, in the eyes of FSG is a young and upcoming manager. But a club of the size of LFC, a bright and upcoming manager is simply not good enough. It has to be one that has gone through the grind as a player and/or manager, where high standards were set and targets achieved.

What puzzles me till today is why BR was chosen by FSG to lead the club when he does not possess the credentials to it in the first place. Either FSG are too naive not to realise that or that they have something at the back of their mind.

Sacking KK and having a rookie manager next is something I can't fathom.   
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #74: May 21, 2015 04:03:04 pm

Sacking KK and having a rookie manager next is something I can't fathom.   

Brendan speaks the same Corporate language as JH and TW they understand each other Kenny is a football man JH and TW still havent got a clue about football so when the famous Dossier was produced they couldnt help but be impressed.
      If Brendan does go and I am not a fan I shudder at the thought of who they might bring in next.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,526 posts | 719 
      Reply #75: May 21, 2015 08:15:42 pm
      As i said before. Liverpool fans are losing the plot because now Man City and Chelsea have money. It's pushed us out of the Top 4.

I dont think trying to out buy a Russian Billionaire and some Arab Trillionaires is going to solve this problem.

A measured, calm, fiscally responsible approach is what's needed.

The good news is Arsenal are losing an aging manager pretty soon and they will struggle to replace him.

If we can remain calm and not eff up our finances we can take advantage of this.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #76: May 21, 2015 08:22:51 pm
      Liverpool fans are losing the plot because now Man City and Chelsea have money. It's pushed us out of the Top 4.

We had £100million+ to spend on players and wasted virtually all of it, spending more than both Chavs and Citeh...
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #77: May 21, 2015 08:27:08 pm
      As i said before. Liverpool fans are losing the plot because now Man City and Chelsea have money. It's pushed us out of the Top 4.

I dont think trying to out buy a Russian Billionaire and some Arab Trillionaires is going to solve this problem.

The good news is Arsenal are losing an aging manager pretty soon and they will struggle to replace him.

If we can remain calm and not eff up our finances we can take advantage of this.

So why have we only won one trophy in 9 years 10 by next season long before City had money etc.
      We had a Club built on good foundations we had just won the CL followed by the FA cup and top 4 . We sold our soul to the devil and this is the price we are paying. The fans are all at each others throats the boardroom at anfield is like a vipers nest and the owners are like puppetmaster pulling string from afar its as far removed from Shankly's vision as could be possible.
      I cant see how we can ever get back to the heady heights in 2005=2007
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #78: May 21, 2015 08:27:59 pm
      Not f**king one of them, they all say "he should stay because it's a great place for him to develop!!"

Well whoop di f**king doo, we have a great coach who can develop young talent, when we should have a great coach that wins stuff.  We have a losers mentality all through the Club!  Weak Owners!  Weak Senior Management!  Weak players!  It filters down from the top until there's no point even trying.  Even us fans are beaten before a game kicks off, before the transfer window opens, before the season's started, before a new player kicks a ball.

Yesterday Rush was screaming for DiC, today I'm wanting some balls, some f**king leadership from somewhere within the Club so that I can be reassured that they want us to start winning again.

Absolutely spot on.

I said when stevie handed in his notice... there is no spine, no belief, no control, no ambition at all in this team.

Very worrying times at the min.

How do we solve it. Simply put.... Money... and LOTS of it.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #79: May 21, 2015 08:31:04 pm

Arsenal lose Wenger and they will replace him with quality. They are filthy rich.

We are 5th in the league and like it or not, thats where we belong.

Money, ambition and belief are needed. We have none of the 3.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,526 posts | 719 
      Reply #80: May 21, 2015 10:27:41 pm

Why were we never bought by the Russian mafioso or oil barrens in the mid-east?

:-\
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,526 posts | 719 
      Reply #81: May 21, 2015 10:55:09 pm
      So why have we only won one trophy in 9 years 10 by next season long before City had money etc.
      We had a Club built on good foundations we had just won the CL followed by the FA cup and top 4 . We sold our soul to the devil and this is the price we are paying. The fans are all at each others throats the boardroom at anfield is like a vipers nest and the owners are like puppetmaster pulling string from afar its as far removed from Shankly's vision as could be possible.
      I cant see how we can ever get back to the heady heights in 2005=2007

What really happened was after we won the CL, we had a great season in 08/09 but underperformed for a season and a half, timed with new shady owners. We imploded and hounded out our great manager because of the medias obsession with 'player body language' and getting an English Manager at a big club.

PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,526 posts | 719 
      Reply #82: May 21, 2015 11:03:45 pm
      We had £100million+ to spend on players and wasted virtually all of it, spending more than both Chavs and Citeh...

We can afford the 'upfront fee'. But we cant afford the squad full of 120k+ a week players. This is the reality we are in. No point in going back to fantasy land. We have a stadium that holds 45 thousand. There are only but a few revenue streams when it comes to football. We are at a lower level financially than City, PSG, Madrid, Barca, Chelsea. I mean, you can manipulate the number for any arguement u want to make. Throw in a straw man here and there. But its a much happier place when u live in reality. These are straight fackts

We are where we are and we can compete. But we have to do so in a particular way. Im ok with that. Have fun complaining that we arent owned by Abu Dabi ;D
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,182 posts | 4404 
      Reply #83: May 21, 2015 11:11:08 pm
      We can afford the 'upfront fee'. But we cant afford the squad full of 120k+ a week players. This is the reality we are in. No point in going back to fantasy land. We have a stadium that holds 45 thousand. There are only but a few revenue streams when it comes to football. We are at a lower level financially than City, PSG, Madrid, Barca, Chelsea. I mean, you can manipulate the number for any arguement u want to make. Throw in a straw man here and there. But its a much happier place when u live in reality. These are straight fackts

We are where we are and we can compete. But we have to do so in a particular way. Im ok with that. Have fun complaining that we arent owned by Abu Dabi ;D

We have targeted the right areas but as usual the wrong players, I don't know why we have a scouting team who quite obviously know jack sh*t about Europe and S.America.

We have wasted our money on mediocre PL proven players when that money would have gone much further outside of the PL and probably lower wages.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #84: May 21, 2015 11:24:59 pm
      e can afford the 'upfront fee'. But we cant afford the squad full of 120k+ a week players. This is the reality we are in. No point in going back to fantasy land This is the reality we are in. No point in going back to fantasy land. We have a stadium that holds 45 thousand. There are only but a few revenue streams when it comes to football. We are at a lower level financially than City, PSG, Madrid, Barca, Chelsea. I mean, you can manipulate the number for any arguement u want to make. Throw in a straw man here and there. But its a much happier place when u live in reality. These are straight fackts

How is it fantasy land? We had Suarez off the wage bill who was on a massive wage, Pepe who was on a big wage plus other player sales. Also the majority of transfer payments are spread out over a number of years; the length of contract signed usually. It's rare a transfer fee, particularly a large one, will be paid in full so we could easily have afforded top players.

I'm not manipulating anything. City have been hit by FFP and were only allowed to spend around £40million, PSG were unable to sign Di Maria because they were essentially on the brink of the FFP. There is more restriction now and Chelsea even have limits, they have a smaller stadium than us (and we are having ours expanded so it's a bigger difference) and owners are only allowed to put in so much now to balance things. It isn't all about spending mega bucks, it's about spending it wisely. We signed Luis Suarez for around £20million, Alonso £10million and Pepe £6million and then Coutinho for £8million. It's all about signing the right players which is something we as a club are massively getting wrong lately.

I haven't been complaining we aren't owned by anyone else so I don't know where you have got that from...

You're clutching at straws mate.

Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #85: May 21, 2015 11:50:02 pm

*cough cough, Rafa, cough* "net" spend?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #86: May 22, 2015 12:35:04 am
      *cough cough, Rafa, cough* "net" spend?

Can't remember off the top of my head and without going too much off topic; His Net Spend of about £60-70mill over 6 years?
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #87: May 22, 2015 01:43:44 am
      Can't remember off the top of my head and without going too much off topic; His Net Spend of about £60-70mill over 6 years?

Some people seem to forget the decline was down to the cowboys, not Rafa. 2007/08 season was a step forward, progression with big signings, but what happened in the next 2 seasons really screwed us over.

2008/09
      Net spend: £2.5m

2009/10
      Net spend: £10,000

Finishing top 4 regularly & CL KO stages, oh... and selling players too and still end up with no money to buy players. How the f**k is a manager suppose to compete on a regularly basis when he can not get his first, second or even third choice players? Ridiculous.
      « Last Edit: May 22, 2015 02:19:35 am by PurpleMonkey »
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #88: May 22, 2015 01:56:07 am

Just saying, BR doesn't get the same excuse for 'net' spending like Rafa did, that's all.

redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #89: May 22, 2015 10:04:16 am
      Brendan speaks the same Corporate language as JH and TW they understand each other Kenny is a football man JH and TW still havent got a clue about football so when the famous Dossier was produced they couldnt help but be impressed.
      If Brendan does go and I am not a fan I shudder at the thought of who they might bring in next.

"Brendan speaks the same Corporate language as JH and TW"
      That's it, both are "hand in glove"
      I can't bear to think who might that be the FSG is going to bring in next. Their choice seems to be getting from bad to worse simply because they can't distinguish between a proven manager and a rookie.
      « Last Edit: May 22, 2015 10:04:00 pm by redkop63 »
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #90: May 22, 2015 11:10:02 am
      Someone on here, I can't remember who or when it was, posted that how Brendan dealt with Stevies decline and retirement could decide his future at the Club.  I'm guessing it was before he said he was leaving, it could even have been before we hit our unbelievable form of last season but anyway they recognised that it could cause problems if the Manager didn't show the "required" respect in phasing Stevie out of the team.

Ironically it's his determination to play him in every game possible, to the detriment of everything that could cost him his job.  The vast majority on here recognised very early this season, if not parts of last or even the one before that playing Stevie for 90 minutes of every game was not the way to go and also believed we should have been planning and playing for next season when he's not here.

I'm not saying he should never have played, that's just stupid but sentimentality on Brendans part has got in the way of winning and I think I know what most supporters would prefer.

It was meeeee.....woooo, I love life's magical little moments like this. Can't believe you remembered this post from 7 months ago Reddebs, we've just connected, yea baby!

http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,45358.msg1696003.html#msg1696003
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #91: May 27, 2015 10:42:27 pm
      We've become the west ham of the north west.

Quick Reply