Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

The Transfer Committee Thread

Read 102913 times
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Re: The Transfer Committee Thread
      Reply #1219: Feb 04, 2016 10:31:46 pm
      I think it's a fair point.

There is no guarantee that spending big money will translate to success.

Of course there isn't Si, there is no guarantee on any transfer, that's fairly obvious to everyone with half a brain surely? But for the most part, if you buy your shopping at Waitrose or Marks you eat better than if you shop at Tesco. Unfortunately we do all of our shopping at Tesco, we have a "NO Waitrose" policy at the club and when you lose your best player for £80 million you have to be an idiot to try and replace him with a collection of Tesco bargain buys.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #1220: Feb 04, 2016 10:34:10 pm

I wasn't aware we ever offered 35m?

I've heard different stories. One of which was we were willing to meet The asking price, only to be told the price had gone up.again
      Another more likely story was that we offered 24 million + 3 million in add-ons.
      Who.really knows?

AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1221: Feb 04, 2016 10:37:56 pm
      £80 million you have to be an idiot to try and replace him with a collection of Tesco bargain buys.

We did not have to try and transfer a "like for like" when Luis left...I don't even know if that is possible considering the mad genius might be the best in the world..but we sure as hell could of gotten somebody like a Pogba or a Sanchez..for 35-50 million and then spent the other 30 million on lesser players.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1222: Feb 04, 2016 10:40:22 pm

Euro's

Euro's

Sterling. Which as it happens is basically 50mill Euro's, the asking price.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #1223: Feb 04, 2016 10:43:07 pm
      To be fair United and Arsenal are quite a ways ahead of us also on the money front...quite a ways.

I've got no problem with the Arsenal approach, clearly they have an incredible manager in terms of identifying young talent and then bringing it through and we're now seeing them Loosen the purse strings to bring in a couple of genuine star players in Sanchez and Ozil and its paying off for them. But going back to their youth recruitment policy, they are not afraid to throw big money (over inflated you might say) to bring in young players from other clubs. They paid over the odds for Walcott, for Chamberlain and for Callum Chambers as well as a tidy price for Aaron Ramsay. Contrast that to the hash up our lot appear to have made with Delle Alli, was evidently on the radar and linked with the club for ages, we thought there was a deal in place or nearly in place and next minute he's tearing up the league for Spurs (who were very aggressive and paid a big fee for Bale at the time).

I'd be more than happy to see some of that approach from our club. Identify young talent (and it was absolutely clear to all that those youngsters I mentioned were all going to be very good players) and then bid big to get them. We're not aggressive enough in the market. I remember watching Eden Hazzard play us in the Europa League a few seasons back (for Lille I think), he was frickin awesome, star of the show, anyone could see he was gonna go for a big price to a big club at some stage. I think Chelsea must have come in 12-18 months later. We've got the budget to go after some of these young stars in the making but it takes some balls to throw the funds at them, but I'd rather that than watch another 30 odd million paid put for another premier league one-season wonder or yet another category B (or C if we're honest) player.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #1224: Feb 04, 2016 10:46:57 pm
      We did not have to try and transfer a "like for like" when Luis left...I don't even know if that is possible considering the mad genius might be the best in the world..but we sure as hell could of gotten somebody like a Pogba or a Sanchez..for 35-50 million and then spent the other 30 million on lesser players.

I wanted us to throw 50-60 million of the money at Pogba and was banging on about it for a full month after the Luis deal. In truth I don't think we would have got him BUT as a purchase I would argue he is as close to a guaranteed success as there is in world football. That's your centre-midfield sorted for the next ten years right there. When he does sign for somebody I don't imagine to many fans will be banging on about how every transfer is a risk, they will be totally elated. Hell of a player. The mancs must hate it soooooo much!
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1225: Feb 04, 2016 10:51:33 pm
      I've got no problem with the Arsenal approach, clearly they have an incredible manager in terms of identifying young talent and then bringing it through and we're now seeing the. Loosen the purse strings to bring in a couple of genuine star players in Sanchez and Ozil and its paying off for them. But going back to their you recruitment policy, they are not afraid to throw big money (over inflated you might say) to bring in young players from other clubs. They paid over the odds for Walcott, for Chamberlain and for Callum Chambers as well as a tidy price for Aaron Ramsay. Contrast that to the hash up our lot appear to have made with Delle Alli, was evidently on the radar and linked with the club for ages, we thought there was a deal in place or nearly in place and next minute he's tearing up the league for Spurs (who were very aggressive and paid a big fee for Bale at the time).

I'd be more than happy to see some of that approach from our club. Identify young talent (and it was absolutely clear to all that those youngsters I mentioned were all going to be very good players) and then bid big to get them. We're not aggressive enough in the market. I remember watching Eden Hazzard play us in the Europa League a few seasons back (for Lille I think), he was frickin awesome, star of the show, anyone could see he was gonna go for a big price to a big club at some stage. I think Chelsea must have come in 12-18 months later. We've got the budget to go after some of these young stars in the making but it takes some balls to throw the funds at them, but I'd rather that than watch another 30 odd million paid put for another premier league one-season wonder or yet another category B (or C if we're honest) player.

Left Peg was mentioning how we cannot compete with Chelsea and City..but the truth is from money standpoint the Mancs are a beast and Arsenal with paid of stadium is light years ahead of us now in terms of generating cash.

Arsenal took a decade building revenue (they truly did it what I would call the right way) United are what they are...they have money and a huge stadium...Chelsea/City got lucky bringing in rich owners.

Somewhere down the road LFC just seems to have forgot that everyone else was trying to grow/claim money...I think this happened even before H&G..This year will be 10 years since the Emirates was built and we are not even done with part of a remodel at Anfield.

If it was not for the oil money...we would be right up there...literally the PL would look like United being Baryen some huge money club and Arsenal and Us looking like the Schalke & Borussia....City and Chelsea would be also rans would it not be for sheer luck in who bought them.

So we are going to have to trust Jürgen and hope the TC/Owners let him do whatever he needs to do because we are simply going to have to do better with what we have than we have showed the past 5 years.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #1226: Feb 05, 2016 10:15:20 am

Hindsight.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #1227: Feb 05, 2016 10:16:54 am
      Piercing insight once again from HBalls. Who ever would have thought there are risks involved in transfers?

Apparently quite a few poeple...
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #1228: Feb 05, 2016 10:30:39 am
      Ha ha ha ha  :lmao: quite a post from the master of banalities and the chief of received wisdom.

Yep, I agree mate but it's a banality; if anyone here seriously thinks spending big is itself enough to solve our problems I have yet to read their posts.

I won't bother going throufgh the thread and listing them but there are plenty of examples for the literate.

If it's "what's the best system/strategy to improve our success rate in the transfer market?" I think it's a bit more interesting. Who decides and how do they decide? What factors need to be taken into consideration?

Which is precisely the question that I have been asking and haven't had answered as yet.

I tend to think there is no set formula as such and if we overanalyse the problem we could end up adding complexity where it isn't needed.

My feeling has always been that the manager has to be the one who leads it and has the final say, as he's the one who works with the players to implement his vision for how he wants us to play.

Wow? Really? Let me just get my notebook to get all this down - what were you saying again about banalities?  :lmao:

But instead of "computers" and "committees" maybe the smart thing to do is actually hire a manager who can spot a player and let him get on with it. In this case that would be Jürgen. I wouldn't have a problem with that.

Except that Jürgen wasn't solely responsible for picking and hiring the players at Mainz or at Dortmund. He doesn't want to "spot a player and get on with it". In his own words:

"The 48-year-old, however, said it was a “crazy discussion” and that it would be easy to handle after taking him fewer than 10 seconds to think about their role.

“This is a really crazy discussion because it was not a problem for (even) 10 seconds,” said Klopp. “We talked about it before ... for me it's enough.

“We only want to discuss about very good players and discussing on the highest level and I hope that's what we do.

“I'm not a genius, I don't know more than the rest of the world. I need these people."
      http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/i-need-people-says-Jürgen-10228814

It took the manager "less than 10 seconds" to think about it. You, on the other hand have been struggling with the problem since October. Try again.  :lmao:

Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,080 posts | 805 
      Reply #1229: Feb 05, 2016 11:02:00 am
      Call me old-fashioned but in the old days we'd scout players, scouts would recommend them, the manager would consider whether/how they'd fit the team and we'd dig deep to check out the lad's personality, motivation and team ethic.  That's before anyone even considered money.  I know its a different game now, and a very different transfer market, but the bottom line has to be that the playing considerations take precedent in any potential transfers-in.
      Leicester have avoided the mentality of "He's a big name, he's available (or contract is running out/wants a move), we might get him for a good price (we won't), he's played well this season, he's got the media salivating," and look at the team they've built.  Team.  A collection of random stars do not a team make.  But a team can make a collection of stars.
      We can't compete with City and Chelsea for money and other reasons, so we need a cleverer, more insightful approach.  I hope Jürgen has that.  It's the thread I cling to.

Traditional means of scouting is at its end, with time things change and football changes so we have to keep up with new innovative methods in terms of coaching, scouting and club management (even if we don't like it). Those ''past days'' are over.

Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #1230: Feb 05, 2016 11:11:23 am
      • Offer 35 mill for a player

Club want 50 mill

We pull out of move

Player is sold for 38 mill.

Transfer Comittee in a nutshell.

Was it not 50 milliion euros they were asking for though?~38m pounds
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #1231: Feb 05, 2016 11:24:07 am
      Was it not 50 milliion euros they were asking for though?~38m pounds

Yes and we offered £24 million as if it would be offered. No wonder their owner took the hump.
      harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #1232: Feb 06, 2016 05:30:09 am
      There are some very interesting free agents on the market this summer, several of which would be immediate starters:  Banega, Feghouli, Matip (who we're supposed to have signed already), Mandanda, Lavezzi, and Caceres.  Any  of those would be solid additions which would allow klopp to try to make 1 or 2 really big signings with his transfer kitty.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Started Topic

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #1233: Feb 06, 2016 04:59:21 pm
      Well the committee signings just keep getting worse and worse and worse. Moreno, Sakho, Mignolet and Can screwed us over again. Firmino did well, but hey, one signing out of a billion isn't a great record.

These players and the committee? We are eternally fu**ed for good if some major restructuring is not done is summer - the squad and the boardroom.

GET F***ing RID
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #1234: Feb 06, 2016 05:03:18 pm

I've heard different stories. One of which was we were willing to meet The asking price, only to be told the price had gone up.again
      Another more likely story was that we offered 24 million + 3 million in add-ons.
      Who.really knows?

Our transfer policy and actions therein are as obscure as ever. Obscure as JWH&Co.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Started Topic

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #1235: Feb 06, 2016 05:06:51 pm
      Has there ever been a more destructive influence to Liverpool FC than the committee of Fallows, Hunter, Edwards, Gordon and Ayre?

I don't think the club has ever had such a cancerous presence before.

Thanks to their actions, we stand where we are today.
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #1236: Feb 06, 2016 05:07:53 pm
      who exactly is the committee? how did they get the job?

get rid of mcmanaman - bring in smicer
      get rid of owen - bring in cisse
      get rid of torres - bring in Carroll
      get rid of Suarez - bring in Balotelli
      get rid of Alonso - bring in Aquilani
      get rid of Macherano - bring in Poulsen

The people we got rid of went on to win everything possible in world football

the ones we brought in went on to be lfc fans and rich
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #1237: Feb 06, 2016 05:11:47 pm
      who exactly is the committee? how did they get the job?

get rid of mcmanaman - bring in smicer
      get rid of owen - bring in cisse
      get rid of torres - bring in Carroll
      get rid of Suarez - bring in Balotelli
      get rid of Alonso - bring in Aquilani
      get rid of Macherano - bring in Poulsen

The people we got rid of went on to win everything possible in world football

the ones we brought in went on to be lfc fans and rich

Circumstances of those players leaving aside, we have a history about being absolute sh*t in the transfer market. The Transfer Committee are the latest to take the mantle in a long line of disastrous transfers.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1238: Feb 06, 2016 05:12:33 pm
      Has there ever been a more destructive influence to Liverpool FC than the committee of Fallows, Hunter, Edwards, Gordon and Ayre?

I don't think the club has ever had such a cancerous presence before.

Thanks to their actions, we stand where we are today.

I cant think of a profession where you can make so many terribly costly mistakes and still keep your job.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Started Topic

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #1239: Feb 06, 2016 05:15:53 pm
      Circumstances of those players leaving aside, we have a history about being absolute sh*t in the transfer market. The Transfer Committee are the latest to take the mantle in a long line of disastrous transfers.

Yes, but the committee are arguably worse - much more money than before has been spent yet we are regressing.

Thanks to the low league cuntishness of Hunter (who managed Rushden & Diamond OUT of the Football League), Edwards, Fallows, Ayre(who got Huddersfield Town into administration) and Gordon (FSG's self proclaimed 'soccer' genius - ;D!) we are a meandering piece of sh*te.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #1240: Feb 06, 2016 05:35:56 pm
      Well, don't blame it on the committee, blame it on FSG, they are the ones that allowed it to happen and continue till today. Wonder FSG has heard of - too many cooks spoil the soup. We have 5 there and the end product doesn't taste either eastern or western, that's why we're seeing some mix or should I say sh*t results and performances.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #1241: Feb 06, 2016 05:47:55 pm
      Get the F**k out of our club

Quick Reply