Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

The Transfer Committee Thread

Read 103483 times
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Re: The Transfer Committee Thread
      Reply #322: Oct 08, 2015 04:25:26 am
      I really hope Klopp comes, it looks very likely, but there is always that niggle, what if the execs screw it up somehow.

The transfer committee, will need some new faces too, along with scouts. It'd be the only way for Klopp to succeed here.
      Really curious if FSG are going to restructure how things are done in relation to transfers.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #323: Oct 08, 2015 05:01:50 am
      Thanks S@int, you f**king arsehole.

Here's a smiley>>> ;D

Yeah sorry mate I deserve that, hung you out to dry a bit there.

I was concentrating on playing my holier than thou card and didn't really think much past that.

Anyway I still have your back mate, so we can always two team him (that's not a sexual phrase nowadays is it? )

vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #324: Oct 08, 2015 07:12:46 am
      That's why I pointed out that the so called "Red Sox Moneyball approach" had a lot more to do with "Money" than with "Moneyball". The Red Sox have always had the 3rd or 2nd biggest payrolls in baseball when they won the World Series. Stats or any kind of traditional analysis can only get you so far... if it points you towards the better players but you can't afford them, then it doesn't make much of a difference ;D

Sorry I didn't read the post. I don't read them I just verbal people to fit my story. In any event Klopp coming has me almost feeling as good as when Rafa walked through the door. I just know the balance of power has shifted further since Rafa came.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #325: Oct 08, 2015 10:26:06 am
      Recently there was a comparison made between Utd's Martial and Origi similar age same league (?) and it looked very much like Origi was a bargain and UTD had bought a dud. Well having seen the way that lad can finish and what impact he has had Origi is not in the same class.
      Moreno was bought as a wingback and when he first came here it was clear he was a rocket ship going forward but he couldn't defend.
      Whatever system or judgement is being used it needs to change hopefully Klopp will think the same.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,161 posts | 4902 
      Reply #326: Oct 08, 2015 11:49:19 am
      Rather than that it seems they have been more of the lines of....

TC "there's a young player at Porto who has good stats"

Brendan ... "what position does he play ?"

TC ... "we aren't quite sure but he is within our price range"

Brendan " I really need a wingback"

TC... " he can probably play there"

Brendan "shouldn't we find out first"

TC .. he's a really good price and has great stats, we may miss him if we don't act now"

Brendan... "Well I'm not so sure"

TC ... "great, well that's settled then we'll sign him tomorrow"

Brendan..." Right"

:)     

I do see the point your making mate but I really don't think it has been as basic as that.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #327: Oct 08, 2015 11:54:31 am
      Do people really think that someone just sits looking at OPTA stats?

Do they really think we are paying the head of analysis 300 k a year to run a football manager game?

How ridiculous.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,161 posts | 4902 
      Reply #328: Oct 08, 2015 11:59:53 am
      Do people really think that someone just sits looking at OPTA stats?

Do they really think we are paying the head of analysis 300 k a year to run a football manager game?

How ridiculous.

Apparently so and that we then go and spend countless millions of pounds based on those stats over any sort of scouting.

The above statement by the way doesn't mean I think we haven't wasted money or that we have identified every single problem in our squad but to think we rely so heavily on stats over scouting as well and spend hundreds of millions based on stats alone is ridiculous.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #329: Oct 08, 2015 12:10:35 pm
      Apparently so and that we then go and spend countless millions of pounds based on those stats over any sort of scouting.

The above statement by the way doesn't mean I think we haven't wasted money or that we have identified every single problem in our squad but to think we rely so heavily on stats over scouting as well and spend hundreds of millions based on stats alone is ridiculous.

Of course we've wasted money and made some buys that haven't worked out, but the same goes for every other team.
      No system or combination of systems is infallible.

A certain Mr Benitez has his own team of analysts, who wrote their own software based on his requirements because he didn't like the standard model, and in between jobs he holds seminars at football conferences to demonstrate his ideas.
      He loves stats and always has.

This idea that we "over rely" on stats or that we use them exclusively is nothing short of fantasy propagated by serial whiners who are always looking for another axe to grind.

They are just another tool, nothing more, nothing less and thank F**k the days when managers bought players after looking at a couple of videos are gone.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,161 posts | 4902 
      Reply #330: Oct 08, 2015 12:17:51 pm
      Of course we've wasted money and made some buys that haven't worked out, but the same goes for every other team.
      No system or combination of systems is infallible.

A certain Mr Benitez has his own team of analysts, who wrote their own software based on his requirements because he didn't like the standard model, and in between jobs he holds seminars at football conferences to demonstrate his ideas.
      He loves stats and always has.

This idea that we "over rely" on stats or that we use them exclusively is nothing short of fantasy propagated by serial whiners who are always looking for another axe to grind.

They are just another tool, nothing more, nothing less and thank F**k the days when managers bought players after looking at a couple of videos are gone.

Agree.

Also as I was saying to Luke last night, and I know he didn't like what I was saying, it seems that there are many people on here who think our transfer strategy is so poor and has brought in only one or two decent players that I'm amazed they actually wanted rid of the manager.

Surely if it is so disfunctional and provides such low quality players the manager hasn't been given the opportunity to succeed here and the clamour for him to be fired was misplaced?

I've pretty much always maintained we have recruited well but have been let down in how we've been coached and how players have been used which is why I wanted him gone.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #331: Oct 08, 2015 12:33:09 pm
      Agree.

Also as I was saying to Luke last night, and I know he didn't like what I was saying, it seems that there are many people on here who think our transfer strategy is so poor and has brought in only one or two decent players that I'm amazed they actually wanted rid of the manager.

Surely if it is so disfunctional and provides such low quality players the manager hasn't been given the opportunity to succeed here and the clamour for him to be fired was misplaced?

I've pretty much always maintained we have recruited well but have been let down in how we've been coached and how players have been used which is why I wanted him gone.

In several conversations I've had with you, I've used the word "disconnect" to highlight the difference between what BR said, and what we've seen on the pitch.
      As I said before, it appeared to me that he either struggled to get his ideas across to players in a way that they could be implemented, or he was simply trying to be a bit too clever and it backfired.

I agree with your assessment of the players we've bought, for the most part.
      I think we have some very talented players, although in the summer poll I voted for BR to go provided we could get Klopp, who incidentally, is bringing in his own analyst.

I like BR. I like his ideas, I think he's a good man manager, and I have no doubt he'll be a success elsewhere if he can simplify his methods, because that's where I think his main problem lies.

got to run, I'll fnish this later.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #332: Oct 08, 2015 12:47:24 pm
      24 players bought upto the end of last season only Mignolet,Couthino and Sturridge (when fit) have been regulars. Other clubs do buy duds a(anyone remember Veron ) but what is an acceptable level of failure because 3 from 24  cannot be right. Lallana has found it difficult to stake his place and Lovren has just been awful.
      I do not think anyone on here really knows the process of identifying and purchasing players but the process is flawed and has been since before Brendan came . I saw Aspas play recently and he was brilliant but we never saw anything like that here why?.
      If the process identifies players and we are succesfull in getting them what is happening once they arrive?.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #333: Oct 08, 2015 05:04:38 pm
      24 players bought upto the end of last season only Mignolet,Couthino and Sturridge (when fit) have been regulars. Other clubs do buy duds a(anyone remember Veron ) but what is an acceptable level of failure because 3 from 24  cannot be right. Lallana has found it difficult to stake his place and Lovren has just been awful.
      I do not think anyone on here really knows the process of identifying and purchasing players but the process is flawed and has been since before Brendan came . I saw Aspas play recently and he was brilliant but we never saw anything like that here why?.
      If the process identifies players and we are succesfull in getting them what is happening once they arrive?.

Correct mate. We would get a better hit rate using Champ manager :)

There are a few people in this thread who really need to learn how to read or at least how not to exaggerate what others believe as they are just making themselves look like idiots. Apparently these serial clappers are so delighted with our transfers that they think it has worked wonderfully well and there is no reason to ever look at ways to improve it. (We can all exaggerate and make sh*t up   :lmao: )
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #334: Oct 08, 2015 06:25:46 pm
      Operation Scapegoat Brendan has been a success then, judging by this thread!
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #335: Oct 08, 2015 06:31:36 pm

Spot on as usual mate
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #336: Oct 08, 2015 06:34:50 pm

There are a few people in this thread who really need to learn how to read or at least how not to exaggerate what others believe as they are just making themselves look like idiots. Apparently these serial clappers are so delighted with our transfers that they think it has worked wonderfully well and there is no reason to ever look at ways to improve it. (We can all exaggerate and make sh*t up   :lmao: )

There's a few snidey cu*ts who just love to wum it up from their keyboards as well.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #337: Oct 08, 2015 06:36:37 pm
      need a few of these for the said committee
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #338: Oct 08, 2015 06:38:29 pm
      need a few of these for the said committee

Well Glen driscoll and Chris Davies have gone - weren't they both on the committee ?
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #339: Oct 08, 2015 06:45:18 pm
      There's a few snidey cu*ts who just love to wum it up from their keyboards as well.

Very true Swab very true!!!

Luckily most people can spot 'em a mile off.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #340: Oct 08, 2015 06:46:35 pm
      Very true Swab very true!!!

Luckily most people can spot 'em a mile off.

and then they take a 6 month sabbatical.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #341: Oct 08, 2015 06:48:21 pm
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,161 posts | 4902 
      Reply #342: Oct 08, 2015 06:54:24 pm
      Well Glen driscoll and Chris Davies have gone - weren't they both on the committee ?

No.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #343: Oct 08, 2015 06:54:42 pm
      and then they take a 6 month sabbatical.

I didn't realise you were gone so long, doesn't time fly when your having fun.

Anyway not having my day spoiled by some idiot ...
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,161 posts | 4902 
      Reply #344: Oct 08, 2015 06:55:43 pm

You want him back then OR?

Quick Reply