Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Christian Benteke (Aston Villa) - SIGNED BY LFC

Read 164367 times
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Re: Cristian Benteke (Aston Villa)
      Reply #414: Jun 30, 2015 11:32:06 pm
      Liverpool's defence have found the likes of Benteke and Lukaku and even Carroll difficult to play against . Big bruising cf's running at us , but those type of players don't suit us . Carroll proved that and so will Benteke .
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #415: Jun 30, 2015 11:32:38 pm
      Why would brendan pay 30m for a player who he won't play to his strengths? Doesn't make sense.

Is anybody arguing with you or are you just fighting yourself?

Have not seen one post on here calling for Benteke to come to Anfield...every post I have read is people scratching they're head asking why.

The difference here is

While you claim he is nothing more than a target man (ala Andy Carroll) most here can see he has a bit more to his game than that.

While you say he is as immobile as Lambert/Carroll; even a cursory view shows he has a lot more speed and movement than either one of those.

While you say he is another Balotelli  that the manager will never consider, he has show a great attitude, desire and is far more flexible than Mario.

So the biggest issue here is not should we/should we not acquire Benteke its the fact that despite numerous knowledgeable posters stating the obvious your either too obtuse or just stubborn to admit that he probably has a bit more going for him than what you picture. Is he Luis Suarez mk2? no of course not but you make him out to be some statue standing in the 18 yard box with his thumb up his ass; which is clearly not the case.

At this price tag there are numerous options available and considering what Brendan has said in the past he does make the final decisions.

Now is Brendan allowed to go after players like Cavani, Messi, Ronaldo..etc..etc  of course not..but if the likes of  Benteke, Bacca, Lacazette or Rondon are there and they were all within the budget why the f**k do you think Gordon, the transfer committee or anyone else would deny Brendan the player he wanted?

If we get him its because he wants him, why he wants him is an entirely different question but if he comes its with Brendan's blessing.
      « Last Edit: Jun 30, 2015 11:45:08 pm by AZPatriot »
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #416: Jun 30, 2015 11:55:53 pm
      Now is Brendan allowed to go after players like Cavani, Messi, Ronaldo

For the record Cavani loves you right now.
      Scottbot

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #417: Jun 30, 2015 11:56:26 pm
      Watch Benteke in this montage vs the mancs last season. He scored two goals on the day and had a good game but there isn't anything about the performance to suggest he would fit in at LFC. He does virtually all of his good work with back to goal, linking up play and makes a very average cross into a good one for the first goal. There is also a fair share of heavy touches and poor passes in there as well. He is decent player, a very good one in fact but he is the anti-thesis of what works in Rogers system.

We ONLY work as a team when we have movement, pace and trickery upfront. It's that simple. If we're going to over pay on an over rated forward playing in the EPL then let it be Berahino who is far more in keeping with our style of play.

The thought of Benteke fills me with dread and will completely undo what has otherwise bee n a very good. Window thus far.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aRzaJAnd2uk

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Re: Cristian Benteke (Aston Villa)ll
      Reply #418: Jul 01, 2015 12:00:01 am
      Is anybody arguing with you or are you just fighting yourself?

Have not seen one post on here calling for Benteke to come to Anfield...every post I have read is people scratching they're head asking why.

The difference here is

While you claim he is nothing more than a target man (ala Andy Carroll) most here can see he has a bit more to his game than that.

While you say he is as immobile as Lambert/Carroll; even a cursory view shows he has a lot more speed and movement than either one of those.

While you say he is another Balotelli  that the manager will never consider, he has show a great attitude, desire and is far more flexible than Mario.

So the biggest issue here is not should we/should we not acquire Benteke its the fact that despite numerous knowledgeable posters stating the obvious your either too obtuse or just stubborn to admit that he probably has a bit more going for him than what you picture. Is he Luis Suarez mk2? no of course not but you make him out to be some statue standing in the 18 yard box with his thumb up his ass; which is clearly not the case.

At this price tag there are numerous options available and considering what Brendan has said in the past he does make the final decisions.

Now is Brendan allowed to go after players like Cavani, Messi, Ronaldo..etc..etc  of course not..but if the likes of  Benteke, Bacca, Lacazette or Rondon are there and they were all within the budget why the f**k do you think Gordon, the transfer committee or anyone else would deny Brendan the player he wanted?

If we get him its because he wants him, why he wants him is an entirely different question but if he comes its with Brendan's blessing.

Yes you're arguing with me saying benteke is a Rodgers signing and ive given reasons why I think he is a committee signing.

He IS a target man and he is at is best in a side that play direct football. We don't.

Naturally and on a technical basis who is the better footballer between benteke and Balotelli? In my opinion Balotelli is head and shoulders above him but look at how much he has struggled here. Benteke will struggle here so why the F**k would Brendan want him when he is walking on egg shells as it is? This transfer absolutely reaks of some yank on the committee who hasn't got a clue.

I've no idea why brendan would pursue benteke when he got rid of Carroll and refused to play Balotelli and Lambert last season instead opting for a small kid to lead our attack. We also played our best stuff under brendan with a diamond with two mobile forwards. It just doesn't make sense.

Firmino and courinto will lead our attack next season and F***ing anybody with a brain can see they need somebody mobile with a bit of flair to play in front of them. Benteke will be awful for us.

I find it really hard to believe Brendan is behind this one. I just can't understand why Brendan would put him in his team unless we change our style of play and play to his strengths...which I very much doubt will happen.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #419: Jul 01, 2015 12:05:36 am

Was Firmino a Brendan signing?

Or he only gets to choose some players but not all, or Brendan chooses the popular ones but the failures are somebody else's fault.

Maybe they split 50/50 on the toss of a coin and whoever wins gets to choose the transfer target?

I don't know who Courinto is...Is he Portuguese or something like that.

Tell me mystic meg which one of the transfer this window are Brendan's and which ones are the committees?
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #420: Jul 01, 2015 12:09:15 am
      Was Firmino a Brendan signing?

Or he only gets to choose some players but not all, or Brendan chooses the popular ones but the failures are somebody else's fault.

Maybe they split 50/50 on the toss of a coin and whoever wins gets to choose the transfer target?

I don't know who Courinto is...Is he Portuguese or something like that?

I'm on my phone and can't be arsed checking every single name or word I type. You know who I meant but being an absolute tool you use a spelling mistake to try and win an argument. People like you need to get out more mate.

I'd like to think firmino was a Rodgers signing though yes. Certainly fits in with the way Rodgers try's to play.

Doesn't mean firmino will be a success though. Look at markovic. Markovic is a player who I believe Brendan wanted but he has been utter gash.

AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #421: Jul 01, 2015 12:12:17 am
      I'd like to think firmino was a Rodgers signing though yes. Certainly fits in with the way Rodgers try's to play.

Ok so the committee "allows" Brendan to sign our second biggest transfer in club history but are going to force Benteke on him?

Yeah that makes about as much sense as signing Benteke in the first place.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #422: Jul 01, 2015 04:56:18 am
      Benteke is not a target man

People are critiquing him heavily from Aston Villa days - which is fair enough, as that's all you have to go off - but come on, to me it's exactly like unfairly judging our players when they play for England, where the manager sucks, the set up sucks, the way they play sucks.

But to say he doesn't move for 90 minutes just shows you don't watch football too closely.. or somehow you do but avoid thinking about things like MANAGERS and TACTICS. Benteke is no one trick pony. In fact the more I think about it the more I like the transfer.

I find all the people saying he "doesn't fit Brendans style" absolutely hilarious. Didn't Brendans style get us 6th place? Look I know that's unfair but the real question here is, is that style sustainable? Isn't it too one-dimensional? Benteke looks like a striker who can play up top on his own, if we need it, or with a partner, if we get that luxury (ie. Sturridge gets on the park), or flanked by the quality we have in attacking midfield positions.

I repeat: Benteke is not a lug, not a target man. Not a one trick pony. Not an Andy Carroll. Not a Ricky Lambert. Nothing like them.

ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #423: Jul 01, 2015 05:26:12 am
      https://youtu.be/ta_3YmJ73pM

Not quite as slow and immobile as people think. Not my first choice, but I think he would score goals for us it we do sign him.
      Scottbot

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #424: Jul 01, 2015 06:52:49 am
      Benteke is not a target man

People are critiquing him heavily from Aston Villa days - which is fair enough, as that's all you have to go off - but come on, to me it's exactly like unfairly judging our players when they play for England, where the manager sucks, the set up sucks, the way they play sucks.

But to say he doesn't move for 90 minutes just shows you don't watch football too closely.. or somehow you do but avoid thinking about things like MANAGERS and TACTICS. Benteke is no one trick pony. In fact the more I think about it the more I like the transfer.

I find all the people saying he "doesn't fit Brendans style" absolutely hilarious. Didn't Brendans style get us 6th place? Look I know that's unfair but the real question here is, is that style sustainable? Isn't it too one-dimensional? Benteke looks like a striker who can play up top on his own, if we need it, or with a partner, if we get that luxury (ie. Sturridge gets on the park), or flanked by the quality we have in attacking midfield positions.

I repeat: Benteke is not a lug, not a target man. Not a one trick pony. Not an Andy Carroll. Not a Ricky Lambert. Nothing like them.

He is a target man mate, there is no getting away from that and neither is there anything wrong with him being one. The issue is that Brendan has never made good use of players with that skill set, it hasn't worked fro any of them. He isn't immobile and he doesn't stand still BUT his movement absolutely will not bring out the best in Coutinho and Firmino.

There are a bunch of individual game hi lights on YouTube (always the best way to appreciate a player rather than a highlights film). Watch any one of them (I've watched several) and you will see he does his best best work with back to goal like a classic target man. He links play well, villa often play it into feet, he holds it up, plays it wide and then they get delivery into the box. Classic English centre forward stuff. But we don't play that way.

I'll say again we play our best when there is movement, pace and cleverness up front, when we drag back fours all over the place because of forward players interchanging, dragging players wide and attacking spaces. Put Benteke in the side and you lose that, you immediately have a focal point of course BUT he is a player the centre halves can always see, they know where he is and what he is about. He isn't generally a threat to play on the shoulder and he is less likely to drop off, receive the ball, face up and then run at players. He isn't immobile and he doesn't stand still and he does have some Pace when he gets up to steam but he is a target man and we won't utilise his attributes. He doesn't get about the pitch or run the channels the way Drogba used to (by far the best target man of recent years).

I think it would be a very unwise transfer and predict it could be the one that costs Brendan his Job if it goes ahead. I don't for a minute think the club will buy him without the managers approval because it is by far the most important transfer of the summer. Out whole season probably hinges on getting this one right
      « Last Edit: Jul 01, 2015 07:56:39 am by Scottbot »
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #425: Jul 01, 2015 07:11:14 am
      Interesting discussion.

I've never seen much of him but my first instincts tell me that he is more akin to a target man. Then again, in the video Orchard Red provides (I know they are his better clips) he seems much more mobile than someone like Lambert or Carroll for example.

The thing that did impress me the most from that clip was his ability to finish with complete composure. He certainly looks as though he has got goals in him, an almost natural instinct that you'd want from a striker, but as others have said, his individual game may not compliment our team game.

A dicey move this one. Is it worth the gamble? I'm not game enough, or knowledgeable enough about Benteke to say for definite.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #426: Jul 01, 2015 07:17:44 am
      The article couple of pages back with clips from the Villa fan on Reddit is well worth a look. There, he talks about how Villa fans who watch every week view Benteke. It's a very interesting piece of work, everyone should watch it. For me, I was previously on the fence but as of now I'd go get him.
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #427: Jul 01, 2015 07:21:03 am
      We´ve been a soft touch for a while now. Would do with a bit of power in the team.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #428: Jul 01, 2015 07:55:30 am
      I'm slowly warming to the idea of this man but still think BR will have to adapt his game plan and get a few more balls into the box earlier than we currently do to get the best out of him. Only time will tell if he is prepared to do that or if the player is prepared to come a little deeper and link up more.
      Scottbot

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #429: Jul 01, 2015 08:05:53 am
      I'm slowly warming to the idea of this man but still think BR will have to adapt his game plan and get a few more balls into the box earlier than we currently do to get the best out of him. Only time will tell if he is prepared to do that or if the player is prepared to come a little deeper and link up more.

And this for me is the issue bud, NO team at the top of the table plays that way. Show me one that does. 'Getting it into the box' is how the lesser teams play. It's no coincidence the likes of Chelsea, City, Arsenal and mancs are not in for Benteke.

The article couple of pages back with clips from the Villa fan on Reddit is well worth a look. There, he talks about how Villa fans who watch every week view Benteke. It's a very interesting piece of work, everyone should watch it. For me, I was previously on the fence but as of now I'd go get him.

What makes you think he would work for us Mick? Given the poor record Brendan has with bigger players who's prominent strengths are playing with back to goal, being good in the air, powerful players who provide a focal point. What's more, Villa have played some dire football the past few years, at Liverpool he will be playing in a side that will dominate possession in most games, it will be a very different style of play. Also, when  we have played with Rickie or Balo this year opposing teams have simply pushed up and squeezed play and we haven't been able to deal with it. It won't help that our quickest player will have been sold by the start of the season either.

I am desperate that we don't sign this lad. He's a good player but not what we need and I am baffled that Brendan would risk given he is the favourite for the chop this season. He could be gone by November if he gets this one wrong.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #430: Jul 01, 2015 08:10:33 am
      And this for me is the issue bud, NO team at the top of the table plays that way. Show me one that does. 'Getting it into the box' is how the lesser teams play. It's no coincidence the likes of Chelsea, City, Arsenal and mancs are not in for Benteke.

What makes you think he would work for us Mick? Given the poor record Brendan has with bigger players who's prominent strengths are playing with back to goal, being good in the air, powerful players who provide a focal point. What's more, Villa have played some dire football the past few years, at Liverpool he will be playing in a side that will dominate possession in most games, it will be a very different style of play. Also, when  we have played with Rickie or Balo this year opposing teams have simply pushed up and squeezed play and we haven't been able to deal with it. It won't help that our quickest player will have been sold by the start of the season either.

I am desperate that we don't sign this lad. He's a good player but not what we need and I am baffled that Brendan would risk given he is the favourite for the chop this season. He could be gone by November if he gets this one wrong.
      see this is the main reason why i dont think we should sign him, simply because he's already spitting fans opinions. like i said a few posts back do we want our big striker signing to split opinions on the fans or do we want a striker ALL of us want?
      for me we should be offering 25mil to Lyon to get Lacazzi before even sniffing around Benteke, if Lyon or the player tell us to jog on we then look at option 2,3 etc. Only time will tell over the next few days but FSG have not messed about so far so i can only assume an offer for any striker will come this week.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #431: Jul 01, 2015 09:37:38 am
      https://youtu.be/ta_3YmJ73pM

Not quite as slow and immobile as people think. Not my first choice, but I think he would score goals for us it we do sign him.

That video is awful.

The palace goal was class. Everything else average.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #432: Jul 01, 2015 09:46:57 am
      The London Evening Standard reports that Benteke would turn down a move to the Spuds even if the deal was agreed, as he favours LFC.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/tottenham-transfer-news-325m-christian-benteke-set-to-snub-spurs-even-if-deal-is-agreed-10355153.html
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #433: Jul 01, 2015 10:14:57 am
      The last thing we need is somebody holding the ball up for us and slowing down play. Carroll, Balotelli, Lambert - none of them fit into BRENDANS style of play.

I find it hilarious people like you don't grasp what we mean.

I've got no problem with us signing Benteke if we were to play to his strengths. Despite my comments, I actually think benteke would be a good signing if we were prepared to be a bit more direct. While Brendan is the manager though, we won't be direct. We will keep playing on the deck football, possession football, high tempo pressing football etc.  That's the football I enjoy to watch and its the football I want us to play personally and Benteke doesn't fit in with that style.

That's why I'm baffled to why we are linked to him. We need a flair mobile player in attack, not a big meat head who is at his best with his back to goal and when you supply crosses to him in the box. 

I keep banging my drum but Brendans been here three seasons and he has never used a target man so I've no idea why people keep saying Benteke is his choice. It just doesn't make sense to me at all.  I'm still waiting for somebody to explain to me why Brendan persisted with Sterling last season despite having Balotelli available - who is actually a better footballer than Benteke. Or even Lambert, who banged in around 14 goals (or so?) for Saints the previous season.  Both Balotelli and Lambert looked out of place in a Brendan side and so will Benteke.

Those convinced Benteke is a Brendan signing then please tell me where Sturridge comes in? He would be wasted out wide in a front 3.  Wasted on the bench. And a front 2 pairing of sturridge and benteke wouldn't work. If we play a 4-3-3 then Sturridge HAS to be our central striker so again this benteke signing doesn't make sense. Why would Brendan want him? If we play 4-3-3 then Sturridge plays in the middle and if he isn't fit then we have Ings and Origi as back up now - who will do a better job than the strikers we had last season BECAUSE THEY MOVE.  Ideally though, we will go back to the diamond and Sturridge will partner a different type of striker to Benteke, somebody with movement and flair.

An midfield/attack like this:

Sturridge        Firmino

Coutinho

Hendo                     Milner

Can

is far better than an midfield and attack like this:

Benteke

Sturridge                     Firmino

Coutinho

Hendo             Milner

So to summaries if Benteke comes then we need to play 4-3-3 and Sturridge doesn't get a game or he is played out of position. Or we do play sturridge and bench our 32.5m Benteke.

Coutinho and Firmino will also be slowed down because Benteke doesn't run the channels or in behind the back four. He is a target man plain and simple. Likes to hold the ball up, get it out wide and follow his run into the box.  Hes got a shot on him yes, might even do a nice flick here and there, but we need far more movement and pace than what he offers to link up with our flair players.

Its a massive no for me.

ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #434: Jul 01, 2015 10:54:25 am
      more and more reports comming out saying we are close to a deal to capture Benteke i think it will be 25mil plus either lambert or borini
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #435: Jul 01, 2015 11:02:04 am
      1)  You're quite correct we did try to sign Sanchez but not as a striker and that was last summer and I've not seen any links to Lukaku this summer, which is the following summer?

Poor grammar on my part. Apologies. I meant to say we tried to sign both those players the following Summer, i.e. the one following the 13/14 season.

more and more reports comming out saying we are close to a deal to capture Benteke i think it will be 25mil plus either lambert or borini

In that case, hello Camp 'Rodgers-out!', where do I sign up?
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #436: Jul 01, 2015 11:17:34 am

I think it will be £25 million cash up front with another couple million in add ons.

Either way looks like Benteke will be our marquee striker.

Could be better but could be a lot worse.

Quick Reply