Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

James Milner Player Thread (M) (Liverpool > Brighton & HA)

Read 199381 times
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Re: James Milner Player Thread
      Reply #138: Jun 25, 2015 05:31:53 pm
      In a world of spoilt brat footballers, James Milner stands out because he is a good, hard working, solid professional. With Gerrard gone it is example setters like him that we need to guide the youngsters. A very astute signing.

He won't set the world alight but he'll bring stability to the Club, which is what we need right now.

Welcome to Liverpool Football Club.

All the best for your future with us.

YNWA.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #139: Jun 26, 2015 02:35:26 pm
      Unquestionably our signing of the summer so far in my eyes. I genuinely think there are going to be some people who are going to be shocked as to how good this lad really is.

You might just be right there. With Gerrard going a model professional is what we need to guide the kids and he is a perfect example of how a footballer should conduct themselves, both on and off the pitch. He's not a bad footballer either.  ;)
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #140: Jun 29, 2015 01:12:42 pm
      what position do we see him in as Can had a great U21 so for me starts in midfield 4 next to either Milner or Hendo and i cant see BR dropping hendo, Firmino and coutinho should be our front midfeild two in a kind of box formation. two in the hold and two attacking.

i see milner being rotated into the squad very nicely and will be a great adidtion with his leadership and abilites to handle pressure of big games. he can also drop out wide but with his age i dont think he will do that to often.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #141: Jun 29, 2015 01:28:52 pm
      Can had a great tournament?

I thought Germany were hammered by Portugal with Can in midfield!
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #142: Jun 29, 2015 01:30:58 pm

one game there were but leading upto that all the games he played central he was one of their better players, i'm not saying he's in over milner i just dont want Can's development to stop because of his arrival. i think Milner is a great signing and i would like to see him alongside Can in a rotation midfield so we have fresh players for both Europa and league games. dont want can in defence again as he's wasted there that's what i was basically trying (should of ) said
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #143: Jun 29, 2015 01:35:12 pm
      I dont think Can should be a starter in midfield just not ready yet.
      He's slow on the turn, slow acceleration, he needs to be slowly introduced into midfield while he learns the role and more importantly improves his mobility and fitness.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #144: Jun 29, 2015 02:12:29 pm

He had a good tournament on the whole. One game doesn't define an entire tournament.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #145: Jun 29, 2015 02:17:11 pm
      one game there were but leading upto that all the games he played central he was one of their better players

I don't think he was that good :( Average at best. Kimmich was the real star for the German midfield.

He's slow on the turn, slow acceleration, he needs to be slowly introduced into midfield while he learns the role and more importantly improves his mobility and fitness.

Agreed with this. Not sure if he'll improve much on his mobility, but fitness does seem to be a concern for Can.

As for Milner, he should be ahead of Can for now as he can offer more in the middle, preferably in a 2 man midfield setup, so it'll be Hendo and Milner fighting for that CM spot.
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #146: Jun 29, 2015 05:13:43 pm
      In a world of spoilt brat footballers, James Milner stands out because he is a good, hard working, solid professional. With Gerrard gone it is example setters like him that we need to guide the youngsters. A very astute signing.

And he seems to want to play for us, which is refreshing.   Unlike some already here ...
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #147: Jun 29, 2015 07:09:05 pm
      Left back. He's good defensively and good attacking and hems a good worker
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #148: Jun 29, 2015 07:33:22 pm
      Left back. He's good defensively and good attacking and hems a good worker

But he's also not a left back so not left back please.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #149: Jun 29, 2015 07:38:01 pm
      But he's also not a left back so not left back please.

I'd rather him to any of our current options
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #150: Jun 29, 2015 10:27:02 pm
      I'd rather him to any of our current options

Would be stupid to play him at LB.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #151: Jul 06, 2015 05:04:19 pm
      Officially official: Milner will wear the No. 7.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/187566-james-milner-shirt-number-confirmed

Also:

Milner: Why LFC challenge excites me
      James Milner has explained why the challenge of helping Liverpool compete for honours and playing regularly in front of the Kop was an opportunity he just could not turn down.

The England midfielder joined the Reds from Manchester City earlier this summer and spent his first day at Melwood on Monday as the squad began pre-season training.

On a busy first day in his new surroundings, Milner sat down with Liverpoolfc.com to outline the qualities he is hoping to add to Brendan Rodgers' team, what he's been told is expected of him at Anfield and how he is aiming to try to deliver silverware to supporters.

LFCTV GO members can watch the interview in full by clicking play on the embedded video below. Need a subscription? Sign up now.

Alternatively, scroll down for a full transcript of our exclusive chat with Milner.

James, welcome to Liverpool Football Club. How does it feel to walk through the doors and put the training kit on for the first time?

It's an amazing feeling. It's always a big thing, obviously, changing club. To sign for a club as big as Liverpool with the history they've got and the place it is - I'm just ready to get started I suppose. It's great to be here; over the summer you're thinking about it and wanting to get going once the decision has been made so it's great to come here.

Were there any nerves? Excitement?

Yeah, a bit of both. It's always intimidating walking into a new dressing room. I'm lucky as I know quite a few of the boys, so that helps as well. It's a new challenge for myself personally. I know what a good side Liverpool are and what good players there are here. There's a great foundation and I've heard a lot of good things about the people who work at the club who maybe we don't know. I obviously know about the players and coaches, but there are people behind the scenes as well and everyone has told me what a great club it is to play for with the people here. I am just looking forward to getting going.

What attracted you to this move? You were at Manchester City, were very successful and won lots of trophies. Why you did you decide this was the next challenge for you?

City are a great club and I had five great years there and enjoyed every minute. The fans were brilliant with me the whole time there, and that made the decision difficult. I was lucky enough to win trophies and be part of a good squad there, but speaking to the club about what their plans were and where they saw me over the next few years at the club, and then speaking to the manager here and his plans going forward and for myself, I just thought it was the right thing for me to hopefully go and get more game time and be part of something special.

I've been very fortunate to play for some massive clubs during my career so far and this is another one. It's a great challenge for me. I want to play football and play more centrally if I can - and that's where the manager said he sees me playing. That's a big thing for me coming to the later stages of my career - I'm not going to say the end of my career because I still feel I have plenty of football left in me! - I want to play as much football as I can. When I'm sat at 45 and retired, I want to look back and see what I've done and that I've played games, rather than having come to the end of my career and tailed off.

Liverpool is a great fit for me as a club. It's a huge club and there is a lot of pressure every time you step out onto that field. I've played in front of the Anfield crowd and it'll be nice to be on the other side of the fans now! The atmosphere they create is fantastic and probably some of the best atmospheres I've played in in England, so to have them supporting me is definitely going to be an amazing feeling.

You mentioned the manager there - was he a big part in that decision to come here?

He was a massive part, to be honest. The club doesn't need a lot of selling about what a great club it is, with all the history, the support and the squad they have. But speaking to the manager and what his plans were for me, things I've heard about him from other players - I was speaking to Stevie at England and people like that - and what he said to me made me want to come and play for him straight away.

You mentioned before about the ambition to go on and play lots of games and play centrally as well. Is there another part of your role here that the manager has spoken to you about, with the likes of Steven Gerrard moving on?

If you look at the squad here, there is a great mix of home-grown British players and foreign lads as well, but there's also quite a lot of younger players in there. I've been lucky enough to be playing for maybe 13 years or something now - it makes me feel a bit older! - but hopefully I can bring that experience to the squad and help those younger guys along. As I said, I've been fortunate enough to win trophies. Obviously Liverpool came so close a couple of years ago to winning the league and being up against them in that title run-in, it felt like the whole world wanted them to win the league. That shows the love for the club and the global respect for the team. Hopefully, my experience can help us get into that position again. And if I can use the experience of winning trophies to help the younger guys, hopefully it can help get us over the line and win some silverware.

You said before you know a lot of the players inside the dressing room. Have they spoken to you about what you can expect now you are a Liverpool player?

Yeah, I was speaking to the lads over the summer when we were away on international duty and I saw Kolo this morning, who I obviously know from Manchester City. He said I will absolutely love the place and that it is a great club, which everyone has told me. I've heard nothing but good things. I haven't spent too much time with the lads but pre-season is a good time to get to know the rest of the players I don't know. We'll spend a lot of time together and I'm sure they'll all be sick of me within a few weeks!

What about the season as a whole, then? You've set yourself challenges all the way through your career, but what about this campaign? What challenges have you put in place for yourself this time?

I think at first you just want to get in, get your feet under the table and show your best form straight away. It's never easy moving clubs, for players coming in from different countries but also within England. It's never easy, it's such a big change moving any workplace - I am sure everyone can relate to that - and in football it's exactly the same. I'd like to come in, show my best form straight away and continue how I finished off last season when I felt I was in pretty good form. As a team, we want to win trophies - that's what this club needs to do. The pressure is there, the expectation is there and everything is there for us. We've got a great manager and great staff, and with players there is a lot of quality within the squad and a lot of new signings coming in as well. Everything is there for us to go and do that [win trophies] and being around the place this morning, I can see everybody is raring to go, wanting to be together and ready to push forward.

Can you see that steely determination already to put right the disappointments from last season?

I've only been here today, but you can see it straight away. Within the meeting this morning, there was that determination and a sense of learning from the last couple of years. The manager has been here for three years, the players have been there with him too, and each season has been different. The main thing is you learn from every season whether you win or lose. You normally learn more from seasons and games that don't go too well. There is a hunger there, I can feel that, and that's why I also wanted to come to the club. There is that pressure there, but there is a hunger and desire there to do well and win trophies because that's what is expected wearing this shirt.

What do you hope to achieve during your time at Liverpool?

I'd like a trophy cabinet full of medals, to be honest. That's the reason why I've come here. I want to enjoy my football, play well and show people what I can do. I want to do what I've tried to do throughout my career and be the best player I can be, and try to improve each day. Hopefully I can help younger players do that, but I can also learn a lot from them. That's a massive part of it as you never stop learning. I've been lucky to play with great players throughout my career and there are a lot of great players at this club as well, so I'll learn as much as I can and hopefully help one or two players along the way and help this club be successful.

You've been allocated the No.7 jersey here at Liverpool. Was the thinking behind it that it's just your number, or did you have to think long and hard about taking it?

I was seven at Man City, but at a club like Liverpool you can wear any number on the squad and it'll have been filled with amazing players who have worn it before. I know seven is a special number for this football club and hopefully I can be a special player for this club. But as I said, with the success this club has had over its history, you could pick any single number from the squad list and you'll be wearing a special shirt. Hopefully I can do the shirt proud and win plenty of matches for this football club.

Just finally, do you have a message for the Liverpool fans reading this?

Not really other than to just keep doing what they normally do. Watching from afar and from playing against them, I know what a great atmosphere they create. I always enjoy playing in those atmospheres where the crowd is up against you, but to have that same crowd with me as a player will be amazing. I am sure they will give us the support, like they always have, and the special atmospheres I've played in before really do make a difference - and hopefully it can drive us on to success.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/188065-milner-why-lfc-challenge-excites-me
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #152: Jul 06, 2015 05:33:27 pm
      Is it wrong that I'm actually kind of excited about this signing? I really think he could be an "under the radar" improvement that helps kick us up a bit.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #153: Jul 06, 2015 05:56:06 pm
      Is it wrong that I'm actually kind of excited about this signing? I really think he could be an "under the radar" improvement that helps kick us up a bit.

He's a top player FL, you've only got to listen to the people at man City to realise that. Our signing of the simmer IMHO. On a side note, his comments on the manager are very interesting.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #154: Jul 06, 2015 06:04:05 pm
      He's a top player FL, you've only got to listen to the people at man City to realise that. Our signing of the simmer IMHO. On a side note, his comments on the manager are very interesting.

Yea, I'd hate to make anything positive out of that though, you'll get crucified on here for speaking optimistically of Brendan.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #155: Jul 06, 2015 06:05:03 pm
      Yea, I'd hate to make anything positive out of that though, you'll get crucified on here for speaking optimistically of Brendan.

I think its a very good signing as well mate.

There still plenty I follow on Twitter banging in about his sh*te he is but they will be surprised I think.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #156: Jul 06, 2015 06:39:08 pm
      I really like this signing. He can do a very good job on the right or in the middle and will no doubt become an important member of the squad.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #157: Jul 06, 2015 06:57:17 pm
      Well I don't care what other people think about our Jimmy, I think he's a great signing.  He's never going to be spectacular but we don't need that in our midfield, we need balls, determination, fight and consistancy.  We have more than enough flair and creativity from our attacking players.

He delivers a mean cross too so he'll link up well with our big target man   :action-smiley-055:
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #158: Jul 06, 2015 08:37:02 pm
      Totally agree
      To me he is our best signing
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #159: Jul 07, 2015 11:33:56 am
      hopefully he goes has a chat with Sterling and tried to convince him to stay at Liverpool as there young players dont get the chance they do at livepool.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #160: Jul 07, 2015 11:36:49 am
      hopefully he goes has a chat with Sterling and tried to convince him to stay at Liverpool as there young players dont get the chance they do at livepool.

Not sure why 1) Milner would go and chat with Sterling about staying, 2) How Milner could convince him to stay.

Quick Reply