Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

James Milner Player Thread (M) (Liverpool > Brighton & HA)

Read 201836 times
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Re: James Milner Player Thread
      Reply #368: Nov 01, 2015 04:54:14 pm
      Milner picked up a knock fairly early on, that's why Klopp kept asking him if he was OK. That's probably why he wasn't brilliant, but he still ran his socks off and stayed on when many would have called it a day. Our best chance before we scored was probably the Lallana one where he hit it straight at their keeper, those who say Milner doesn't do anything ought to watch that again. In midweek when we were drawing 0-0 with Bournemouth, Benteke scored a wonder header. Those who say Milner doesn't do anything could do worse than replay that one too. While they've got the SKY+ out, they might as well have a look at Sturridges second against Villa, the first time volley. Those who say Milner doesn't do anything could watch that one too.

Not everyone is a Coutinho, good teams have hard workers, players who set the tone with their work rate and dedication to the cause. Milner is exactly one of those, that's why plenty of teams were after him in the Summer, including the champions who desperately wanted to keep him. Fortunately our manager can see that he's a good player too, and Swab is absolutely spot on on this one when he talks about certain players being "scapegoats". Why the f*** people look for one when we've just beat Chelsea 3-1 away God only knows, why on earth we can't just accept for once that the team did very well, ALL OF THEM I don't know, but there it is.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,654 posts | 482 
      Reply #369: Nov 01, 2015 05:27:51 pm
      Milner picked up a knock fairly early on, that's why Klopp kept asking him if he was OK. That's probably why he wasn't brilliant, but he still ran his socks off and stayed on when many would have called it a day. Our best chance before we scored was probably the Lallana one where he hit it straight at their keeper, those who say Milner doesn't do anything ought to watch that again. In midweek when we were drawing 0-0 with Bournemouth, Benteke scored a wonder header. Those who say Milner doesn't do anything could do worse than replay that one too. While they've got the SKY+ out, they might as well have a look at Sturridges second against Villa, the first time volley. Those who say Milner doesn't do anything could watch that one too.

Not everyone is a Coutinho, good teams have hard workers, players who set the tone with their work rate and dedication to the cause. Milner is exactly one of those, that's why plenty of teams were after him in the Summer, including the champions who desperately wanted to keep him. Fortunately our manager can see that he's a good player too, and Swab is absolutely spot on on this one when he talks about certain players being "scapegoats". Why the f*** people look for one when we've just beat Chelsea 3-1 away God only knows, why on earth we can't just accept for once that the team did very well, ALL OF THEM I don't know, but there it is.
      A minor correction there, Benteke scored against Southampton and Clyne did in the midweek.

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #370: Nov 01, 2015 05:35:23 pm
      A minor correction there, Benteke scored against Southampton and Clyne did in the midweek.

That's a shock, I rely on memory and make a complete dogs @rse of it. Swear I'm going f*cking senile.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #371: Nov 01, 2015 08:26:47 pm

Good post mate. Milner does seem to be coming in for a fair bit of unwarranted criticism doesn't he. I think the key to truly appreciating the qualities of players like Milner is to have flair players doing their stuff around him. At City the fans loved him because alongside the craft, guile and skill of players like Silva, Aguero and Nasri etc you need players who will bust a guy, run themselves into the ground and also bring some quality. The same applied to Henderson a couple of seasons ago, we all loved him, really appreciated his qualities which stood out brightly because we had players
      Like Suarez, Studge and Sterling tearing it up in from him.

We don't have that at the moment, we've struggled to create chances for well over a season and we need more skill players in the squad. I think a player such as Milner will be more appreciated when that happens. If Cputinho can find his form, Firmino can find his feet and a player like Jordan Ibe can reach his undoubted potential the true value of a Milner will come to the fore.

Also, I do find it funny that a player who leads the team in assists (comfortably I believe) is getting stick and then we have a fan favourite (especially on this board) in Emre Can who has done very little by comparison yet there is barely a mention on Emres performance.
      « Last Edit: Nov 01, 2015 08:36:52 pm by Scottbot »
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #372: Nov 01, 2015 08:55:58 pm
      Good post mate. Milner does seem to be coming in for a fair bit of unwarranted criticism doesn't he. I think the key to truly appreciating the qualities of players like Milner is to have flair players doing their stuff around him. At City the fans loved him because alongside the craft, guile and skill of players like Silva, Aguero and Nasri etc you need players who will bust a guy, run themselves into the ground and also bring some quality. The same applied to Henderson a couple of seasons ago, we all loved him, really appreciated his qualities which stood out brightly because we had players
      Like Suarez, Studge and Sterling tearing it up in from him.

We don't have that at the moment, we've struggled to create chances for well over a season and we need more skill players in the squad. I think a player such as Milner will be more appreciated when that happens. If Cputinho can find his form, Firmino can find his feet and a player like Jordan Ibe can reach his undoubted potential the true value of a Milner will come to the fore.

Also, I do find it funny that a player who leads the team in assists (comfortably I believe) is getting stick and then we have a fan favourite (especially on this board) in Emre Can who has done very little by comparison yet there is barely a mention on Emres performance.

Probably because people can cut a young player who is learning his trade some slack.

But a seasoned professional who comes into the club as the top earner, gets made VC yet finds it difficult to control a ball, can't find a man with 10 yard pass or get past the first man with a corner will likely get questions asked.

Scottbot

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #373: Nov 01, 2015 10:03:16 pm
      oh look, a new scapegoat.
      http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/10034832/Jürgen-klopp-james-milner-is-the-complete-footballer-and-liverpool-know-how-to-play

So he's not on form.
      Big deal, neither are a few others, not to mention that adapting to a new managers style takes longer for some than for others.

He's a good player, but hey don't let that detract from the boards favourite pastime of picking out one player to scapegoat.

This all day. Even when things are on the up this place needs a player to pin the donkeys tail on.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,176 posts | 8550 
      Reply #374: Nov 01, 2015 10:09:02 pm
      This all day. Even when things are on the up this place needs a player to pin the donkeys tail on.

It's ok to have a differing view on players you know?
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #375: Nov 01, 2015 10:26:50 pm
      Probably because people can cut a young player who is learning his trade some slack.

But a seasoned professional who comes into the club as the top earner, gets made VC yet finds it difficult to control a ball, can't find a man with 10 yard pass or get past the first man with a corner will likely get questions asked.

Can't disagree with this.

Carrying a knock or not a player with his CV should be able to do the basics right every time, so far he hasn't even been doing that.
      Scottbot

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #376: Nov 01, 2015 10:58:49 pm
      It's ok to have a differing view on players you know?

Course it is but when we're doing good and things are on the up why stick the boot in. Anyone would think Milner is Sunday League reading this thread. Leads the team with 4 assists, the last of which was only in midweek with an absolute peach of a cross. He might not be the best option on the team in that wide forward position but given Klopps teams are defined by their ability to press the ball relentlessly he is a pretty good choice to be playing right now.

We've just been to the bridge and beaten the champions in their own back yard. I couldn't and can't find find anything to complain about following that.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #377: Nov 02, 2015 04:49:45 am
      this week on armchair experts: James Milner is actually crap! he's too old to fit in with this high-energy "Google Pressing" we're now doing. i know this because he gave the ball away in our 3-1 win and i can't stop thinking about it. sell him in january!
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #378: Nov 02, 2015 12:41:47 pm
      Now whilst he wasn't good yesterday, and I finally got to watch the game this afternoon, Can was far worse.

The win helped cover up bad or mediocre games for a few players.
      Coutinho got a couple of goals, but his overall contribution was poor, goals apart.
      Can had a bit of a 'mare, but he also had Coutinho playing in front of him and he didn't get the same protection as Milner afforded Clyne on the right.
      Sakho made quite a few errors, as did Skrtel, but we weren't punished for them.
      Moreno again was caught napping.
      Lucas did OK for the most part but was a bit lucky in my opinion not to get a red.
      Milner got a couple of things wrong, but he worked tirelessly with Clyne to snuff out the threat and push Azpilcueto (spelling?) back, then Benteke came on and basically pinned him.

So, as usual, some players were good, some were decent, and some weren't so great.
      It happens in every game, every season and only rarely do you see 11 players all on form and all at the top of their game, so as Klopp would say "this is normal".
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #379: Nov 03, 2015 11:05:25 pm
      The Anfield Wrap lads made some interesting points on Milner in his defence, which is worth a listen.

Also didn't realise he has bagged 4 assists already, not bad going for a lad who 'doesn't do enough'.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #380: Nov 03, 2015 11:22:51 pm
      Also didn't realise he has bagged 4 assists already, not bad going for a lad who 'doesn't do enough'.

Unfortunately, he has also arguably cost us 2 goals in the last 2 games, in particular against Chelsea.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #381: Nov 04, 2015 07:52:49 am
      He's a workhorse. Frustrating at times.

He could yet, still turn out to be midfield's equivalent to Dirk Kuyt.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #382: Nov 04, 2015 11:33:57 am
      Three assists in 11 league games [963 mins] probably isn't enough, especially for a lad who's convinced he's a central midfielder so I can see where people are coming from.

But, to be fair... Without Hendo - we have been lacking a creative spark in midfield and in that respect James ain't alone.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #383: Nov 04, 2015 11:41:07 am
      He's a workhorse. Frustrating at times.

He could yet, still turn out to be midfield's equivalent to Dirk Kuyt.

Yep.

His verasatility will be a big strength this season for the manager.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #384: Nov 04, 2015 12:22:01 pm
      Yep.

His verasatility will be a big strength this season for the manager.

I totally agree Si but here's the rub - wasn't/isn't James fed up with being 'versatile': ain't that part of the reason he left City?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #385: Nov 04, 2015 12:43:50 pm
      I totally agree Si but here's the rub - wasn't/isn't James fed up with being 'versatile': ain't that part of the reason he left City?

Apparently so mate but you can't get everything in life your own way and I think Jürgen can 'sell' him the idea of playing in different positions.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #386: Nov 04, 2015 01:03:41 pm
      Apparently so mate but you can't get everything in life your own way and I think Jürgen can 'sell' him the idea of playing in different positions.

If Jürgen has to sell him the idea then maybe he shouldn't be vice captain. I also think of it this way: Mancini saw him as better out wide, Pellegrini saw him better from out wide, Klopp clearly sees him from better out wide. The only manager to see him as a 90 mins per game centre mid (when he hasn't played there regularly in a very long time) is Rodgers and he was playing our attackers as wing backs.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #387: Nov 04, 2015 04:14:41 pm
      I like Milner for what he brings to the squad and I'm sure he'll get plenty of minutes in the future, whether those minutes are enough or where he prefers to play remains to be seen.

He does have a few of the qualities Jürgen likes in his players, relentless pressing, stamina etc but I'm not sure that's enough as we have players with the same qualities who bring a lot more to our ultimate game plan. 

I hope he sticks around but I won't be disappointed if he chooses to move on in the summer.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #388: Nov 04, 2015 04:30:04 pm
      Was a big fan of his when we got him and I'm still a fan but our style is slowly changing under Klopp and I think he needs to sort his tackling out if he's to stay on the  pitch we dont want a liability every time he makes a challenge. He's a solid hard worker which Klopp will love but the fact he got subbed the other day against Chelsea was a sign that if he struggling he will come off. BR had a deal in place with him stating he would get game time but now he's gone he's not untouchable. No player should be they all need to be worthy to start and if there having a bad day come off. Lets home when Hendo's back he can get a few more assists as he will have another runner with him.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,148 posts | 258 
      Reply #389: Nov 07, 2015 03:09:19 pm
      When he's at good form Milner is a useful player to the team, that's my opinion of him, he never a great player.

At present situation my biggest worry is we have no cover for Clyne and Moreno. I think Milner can do sufficient as fullback, if his mind is right.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #390: Nov 07, 2015 06:54:18 pm
      the problem is James Milner did not come here to be a squad member or to be rotated in a number of positions he came to play central midfield. He is not going to be central to Klopps future plans so its really up to him to accept this is a new era and get on with his very well paid job

Quick Reply